OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheelz87

LGP
Jun 28, 2011
Pittsburgh
Sutton going to be hard to re-sign? Love to have him back. I far from think we are good in the secondary but you improve the dline/pass rush and that does minimize things. I just want investment in the trenches over and over.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
If Houston beats the fighting Jeff Saturdays this weekend and Da Bears lose to Minnesota (both of which are very real possibilities) Da Bears will get the first overall pick… meaning Chase Claypool will have been traded for the 33rd overall pick…. A guy who has 44 catches for 422 yards and 1 TD was traded for the 33rd overall pick…how on earth can the Bears GM not get fired for a move that atrocious?

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Sutton going to be hard to re-sign? Love to have him back. I far from think we are good in the secondary but you improve the dline/pass rush and that does minimize things. I just want investment in the trenches over and over.
I think Sutton is going to want to surpass 4-24 Hilton got from Cincinnati if he thinks he is a outside CB not a slot he will want 10 million a year like Fueller

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
You have to wonder with the back to back no huddle game winning drives by KP...is it a Big Ben situation.

Remember when we couldn't move the ball until Ben was calling the shots in no huddle

I’ve thought of that…

They claim Canada is calling those plays, but who knows.

They seem to have little trouble moving the ball these days, it’s scoring TDs.

That’s kind of important though.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
If Houston beats the fighting Jeff Saturdays this weekend and Da Bears lose to Minnesota (both of which are very real possibilities) Da Bears will get the first overall pick… meaning Chase Claypool will have been traded for the 33rd overall pick…. A guy who has 44 catches for 422 yards and 1 TD was traded for the 33rd overall pick…how on earth can the Bears GM not get fired for a move that atrocious?

Steelers would have the 32nd pick.

Miami must forfeit their first this season.

Reactions: Goalie_Bob

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
So then it’s essentially a late first round pick for Chase Claypool… I want to vomit just typing that sentence

Depending how Sunday shakes out, ya they could realistically have two firsts come April.

Again it will be considered round 2, but any other year it would be a first.

It will be an interesting draft given the extra draft capital and a new regime that has no drafting history.

Will they stay put, move around, what kind of positions do they prioritize, etc.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Depending how Sunday shakes out, ya they could realistically have two firsts come April.

Again it will be considered round 2, but any other year it would be a first.

It will be an interesting draft given the extra draft capital and a new regime that has no drafting history.

Will they stay put, move around, what kind of positions do they prioritize, etc.
Even with clear long term needs at CB, ILB and DL i wouldnt care one bit if the used there first 4 pick on OL.

Obviously thats a bit ridiculous but its the one glaring position hurting this team weekly.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Depending on interest, I'd still look at dealing DJ for picks if you can get a 2nd or better.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Depending on interest, I'd still look at dealing DJ for picks if you can get a 2nd or better.
Ok then what? Theres 21 other WR paid more than him next year. The free agent market is bad Juju isn’t leaving KC. Lazard and Dj Chark are going to want 10 million minimum

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Ok then what? Theres 21 other WR paid more than him next year. The free agent market is bad Juju isn’t leaving KC. Lazard and Dj Chark are going to want 10 million minimum

Use the extra picks on a WR. It's not like his production can't be replaced. And we're not going anywhere in terms of contending during his contract window anyway. He's an asset we need to manage correctly.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
An Athletic article on how the team has improved over the season said that at the start of the season the offence only occasionally got together to watch video, and now they're doing it almost daily. It sounds like they weren't particularly coached to understand what the OL was doing, and this is getting corrected.

I mean you can't overlook the fact that the OL got significantly remixed in the middle and consisted of a bunch of not all that dudes, and that they were always going to take time to get better, and no amount of understanding helps when they're just not good enough. Or when the play is so telegraphed that the running back is constantly getting man and ball three yards behind the line. Not that I think you are, just stating the obvious flip side. The extent to which the OL has gelled and which the playcalling has improved - same article says they made a big effort to change plays so it's less obvious whether it's a run or a pass just from set up - is a big part of it. But it does feel like the offence has improved and I'm guessing improved understanding is part of it.

And of course, to state the obvious again, Pickett being quick to escape the pocket was on his draft scouting report and that's just not going to disappear overnight.

Honestly I feel pretty happy with the way the offence has progressed throughout the season. Yeah, they're leaving a lot on the table, but I think they're showing more and more cohesion and creating more and more opportunities.

Well put.
Measuring this season in W/L's is myopic. For me it has been "Is KP improving?" "Is the OL getting better?"

The RB's and WR's are who they are going to be.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Use the extra picks on a WR. It's not like his production can't be replaced. And we're not going anywhere in terms of contending during his contract window anyway. He's an asset we need to manage correctly.
So you want to trade a WR so we can get a 2nd to get a WR?

Seems unnecessary.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
So you want to trade a WR so we can get a 2nd to get a WR?

Seems unnecessary.

Not really. I want to deal an expensive, limited time remaining, under performing asset while we can still extract some value for him. If the return is decent draft capital. Having additional draft picks in the range of what he should return in this draft would give us the flexibility to get a younger, cheaper, maybe more fitting player with one of our then many picks.

It's not a difficult concept.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
One on a rookie deal vs one making $18 million next year. Pretty big context point you're not mentioning there.

Trading him doesn’t just get rid of his cap hit though. You would have a good bit of dead cap space from dealing him. I don’t know if I’m reading his contract correctly, but it looks like 19 million in dead space if they move on from him after a year. It may be lesser with a trade than a straight up release but it’ll still exist. So from the Steelers position, trading him just doesn’t seem worth it.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Trading him doesn’t just get rid of his cap hit though. You would have a good bit of dead cap space from dealing him. I don’t know if I’m reading his contract correctly, but it looks like 19 million in dead space if they move on from him after a year. It may be lesser with a trade than a straight up release but it’ll still exist. So from the Steelers position, trading him just doesn’t seem worth it.

It would be a one year hit, and we'd still save something like $5M on the cap if we trade him prior to draft. I think.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
One on a rookie deal vs one making $18 million next year. Pretty big context point you're not mentioning there.
His cap hit is 16 million next year and if they trade him they will have 11 mills in dead cap.
In 24 they can get off him with 5 million in dead cap when his cap hit is 15 million

It would be a one year hit, and we'd still save something like $5M on the cap if we trade him prior to draft. I think.
So you want to go into next year with Gp and 2 unknown rookies plus simms and gunner types

Reactions: Peat and Goalie_Bob

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Yeah but one is a good WR and the other is more likely to be Jalen Reagor than “insert good 2nd rd WR here”.

Pretty big context point isnt it?

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
His cap hit is 16 million next year and if they trade him they will have 11 mills in dead cap.
In 24 they can get off him with 5 million in dead cap when his cap hit is 15 million

So you want to go into next year with Gp and 2 unknown rookies plus simms and gunner types

DJ next year isn't making a difference in where we end up. And he's gone after that. Might as well draft his replacement ASAP.

Reactions: JTG

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Not really. I want to deal an expensive, limited time remaining, under performing asset while we can still extract some value for him. If the return is decent draft capital. Having additional draft picks in the range of what he should return in this draft would give us the flexibility to get a younger, cheaper, maybe more fitting player with one of our then many picks.

It's not a difficult concept.

Its not difficult its just unnecessary and silly.

Trading a bad reciever like Claypool makes sense. Trading a good WR, to save a few mil to replace him with a guy thats more likely to be Claypool than not. Unforced error.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Its not difficult its just unnecessary and silly.

Trading a bad reciever like Claypool makes sense. Trading a good WR, to save a few mil to replace him with a guy thats more likely to be Claypool than not. Unforced error.

Or, you lose him in a year for nothing. Might as well gamble on our record to draft decent/good WRs.

And, DJ isn't really that great at all. He's a drop machine that is invisible a lot of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad