OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I was not aware of this back in '71

Definitely have a recollection of that but it’s not like there was Red Zone or wall to wall coverage of the nfl, so it was in the morning and evening papers for a day or so and then gone.

Hope Hamlin recovers and quickly. I kept thinking of Shazier as I was watching but I think the worst people probably thought then was that he was paralyzed not in need of cpr and defib.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
It was for all my family that had gathered and the palliative care people were prepping them for me being brain dead or seriously disabled.

I thanks modern medicine and the people that worked on me.
And you think about how quickly those guys and girls had to react last night and then do everything right. They’re pretty impressive, at least in my humble view.

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
And you think about how quickly those guys and girls had to react last night and then do everything right. They’re pretty impressive, at least in my humble view.

I was lucky that a neighbor saw me seconds after I dropped (I was cutting the grass) and called 911.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
It was for all my family that had gathered and the palliative care people were prepping them for me being brain dead or seriously disabled.

I thanks modern medicine and the people that worked on me.

Definitely a miracle for you!

Don't mean to sound so glib, but if there is 1 silver lining it is the timing and locale of what happened last night. Hamlin had 2 full medical staffs immediately available to him, oxygen, ambulance, and an AED. There was no better place to be except at a hospital for this type of event.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
As long as they got O2 to his brain in a relatively quick time he has a shot. Fingers crossed he pulls through. Scary watching the replays.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
While I'm probably the most agnostic person on Tomlin around as I think he has real strengths and real weaknesses, I also think all this discussion over what coaches win and don't win is grossly overrated. Reid didn't win much in KC until Mahomes. Belichick has a losing record without Brady. Noll was pretty close to .500 post-Bradshaw. With very few exceptions the big driver is having an elite QB more than it is having an elite coach, and it's not a coincidence that the Steelers went from being good to average/below average when Ben got hurt in 2019 and was never the same.
I'm pretty sure Belichick is well over .500 without Brady in NE.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

Excellent video

If KP can continue to progress on those “NFL throws” (and reads) from the pocket with anticipation- we may have a gem.

A lot of comments in the vid on how we ran widespread concepts and routes oddly though- that is on design and Canada IMO.

I hope the coaches are taking a similar approach of “hey that off script stuff is great and we want you to keep doing it, but we want you to build sustainable habits from the pocket as well”.

Exciting times.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Does that mean that the Steelers do know how to develop a CB? Color me surprised.

They still need to upgrade over Levi Wallace though. For me, I have no issue with a CB in round 1.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
A couple of interesting tweets on subjects we've been discussing, namely Tomlin and the offensive line:

Basically Tomlin's game management and extreme conservatism remains an issue and the Steelers' offensive line has been fine in pass protection this season. Run blocking a bit below average, at least per PFF.

Reactions: Pengwins and Andy99

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
A couple of interesting tweets on subjects we've been discussing, namely Tomlin and the offensive line:

Basically Tomlin's game management and extreme conservatism remains an issue and the Steelers' offensive line has been fine in pass protection this season. Run blocking a bit below average, at least per PFF.

I wonder how much (if at all) that run blocking grade is impacted by Najee running into contact instead of into open space.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
There are clear deficiencies in some personnel groups - IMO, CB, OL and ILB are the biggest - but all of them could be mitigated by better coaching. I don't just mean the kind of stuff we see on Sundays - play calling, time management, game management, etc. But scheme, positional coaching and coordination.

The kinds of things I mean are: it'd be nice to see more from the DL than just TJ and Alex beat your guy while Heyward and Ogunjobi press the pocket; Kenny and Najee seem to be lacking confidence in the OL, is that because they aren't coached to understand what the OL is doing?; do the receivers understand where they are in the QB progression on each play call and why, and how they can ? does KP?

The kinds of things that position group coaches should be doing throughout the week and that coordinators should be focusing on with position coaches in meetings.

I'm obviously not at practice. I'm not even in town. I could be way off. Maybe all the players are just dumb or bad. But i see what seems to me a lot of stuff that should be improved by detailed coaching.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
There are clear deficiencies in some personnel groups - IMO, CB, OL and ILB are the biggest - but all of them could be mitigated by better coaching. I don't just mean the kind of stuff we see on Sundays - play calling, time management, game management, etc. But scheme, positional coaching and coordination.

The kinds of things I mean are: it'd be nice to see more from the DL than just TJ and Alex beat your guy while Heyward and Ogunjobi press the pocket; Kenny and Najee seem to be lacking confidence in the OL, is that because they aren't coached to understand what the OL is doing?; do the receivers understand where they are in the QB progression on each play call and why, and how they can ? does KP?

The kinds of things that position group coaches should be doing throughout the week and that coordinators should be focusing on with position coaches in meetings.

I'm obviously not at practice. I'm not even in town. I could be way off. Maybe all the players are just dumb or bad. But i see what seems to me a lot of stuff that should be improved by detailed coaching.

An Athletic article on how the team has improved over the season said that at the start of the season the offence only occasionally got together to watch video, and now they're doing it almost daily. It sounds like they weren't particularly coached to understand what the OL was doing, and this is getting corrected.

I mean you can't overlook the fact that the OL got significantly remixed in the middle and consisted of a bunch of not all that dudes, and that they were always going to take time to get better, and no amount of understanding helps when they're just not good enough. Or when the play is so telegraphed that the running back is constantly getting man and ball three yards behind the line. Not that I think you are, just stating the obvious flip side. The extent to which the OL has gelled and which the playcalling has improved - same article says they made a big effort to change plays so it's less obvious whether it's a run or a pass just from set up - is a big part of it. But it does feel like the offence has improved and I'm guessing improved understanding is part of it.

And of course, to state the obvious again, Pickett being quick to escape the pocket was on his draft scouting report and that's just not going to disappear overnight.

Honestly I feel pretty happy with the way the offence has progressed throughout the season. Yeah, they're leaving a lot on the table, but I think they're showing more and more cohesion and creating more and more opportunities.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
An Athletic article on how the team has improved over the season said that at the start of the season the offence only occasionally got together to watch video, and now they're doing it almost daily. It sounds like they weren't particularly coached to understand what the OL was doing, and this is getting corrected.

I mean you can't overlook the fact that the OL got significantly remixed in the middle and consisted of a bunch of not all that dudes, and that they were always going to take time to get better, and no amount of understanding helps when they're just not good enough. Or when the play is so telegraphed that the running back is constantly getting man and ball three yards behind the line. Not that I think you are, just stating the obvious flip side. The extent to which the OL has gelled and which the playcalling has improved - same article says they made a big effort to change plays so it's less obvious whether it's a run or a pass just from set up - is a big part of it. But it does feel like the offence has improved and I'm guessing improved understanding is part of it.

And of course, to state the obvious again, Pickett being quick to escape the pocket was on his draft scouting report and that's just not going to disappear overnight.

Honestly I feel pretty happy with the way the offence has progressed throughout the season. Yeah, they're leaving a lot on the table, but I think they're showing more and more cohesion and creating more and more opportunities.
Thanks. I don't see the Athletic so I don't know these things. I'm also not local in Pittsburgh so, while there is a lot of media still available, I don't always make sure to go find it since it's not in my face like it is with locals. It's good to know that this was apparently recognized and addressed.

And my rant on coaching was never meant to suggest it can make up for run-of-the-mill talent, only that it can help, especially when the talent is run-of-the-mill. Nor was it meant only to address the offense.

Reactions: Peat

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

The offense is moving the ball well, it’s simply atrocious getting in the end zone though.

That’s a massive issue.

Is it Canada? Receivers not getting open or not making plays in the end zone?

KP missing open guys?

Is the running game an issue in the red zone (this doesn’t seem like a problem to me, but who knows).

I’m sure the answer is ‘all of the above’ to some degree, but it should have been resolved by now.

We are at 33 games of this and Canada’s offense simply doesn’t score enough points.

If KP doesn’t do some historical rookie shit in b2b games, we are all talking about how garbage the offense is getting into the EZ.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
The offense is moving the ball well, it’s simply atrocious getting in the end zone though.

That’s a massive issue.

Is it Canada? Receivers not getting open or not making plays in the end zone?

KP missing open guys?

Is the running game an issue in the red zone (this doesn’t seem like a problem to me, but who knows).

I’m sure the answer is ‘all of the above’ to some degree, but it should have been resolved by now.

We are at 33 games of this and Canada’s offense simply doesn’t score enough points.

If KP doesn’t do some historical rookie shit in b2b games, we are all talking about how garbage the offense is getting into the EZ.
You have to wonder with the back to back no huddle game winning drives by KP...is it a Big Ben situation.

Remember when we couldn't move the ball until Ben was calling the shots in no huddle

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
You have to wonder with the back to back no huddle game winning drives by KP...is it a Big Ben situation.

Remember when we couldn't move the ball until Ben was calling the shots in no huddle
Except KP isn’t calling the plays. GP said he called whatever came into his headset against Vegas.
He did make some nice hand jester adjustments against Bmore with his WR

Reactions: Factorial

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The main thrust of my point is I think the offence has shown signs of improvement to the eye test throughout the season and some of it seems to be linked to coaching. Which is a stark comparison with the defence, where improvement seems solely linked to TJ Watt's improvement.

Their inability to turn this improvement into consistent points is a massive issue indeed but the way they're playing, I feel optimistic most of the pieces are in place to break through and change that. I dunno for sure whether they're going to as my personal theory is a lot of it's about the conservatism we see permeating the game plan making itself felt psychologically, and I feel sure some pieces will change before they do, but I like their odds based on the way they play and are improving.

I do suspect Canada will go before we see that final improvement though and if he doesn't, it's because someone on the offence becomes that sort of TJ Watt-esque difference maker.

I don't think it is a Big Ben situation where someone else is calling the plays, but I do think it's a Steelers situation where the offence doesn't really work unless they're more scared of not getting the touchdown than they are putting the defence back on the field.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

“I severely, in my opinion, underestimated Kenny,” said Roethlisberger. “I think he throws the ball better than I thought, he runs way better than I expected and thought, his decision making is really really good, his leadership, his toughness, [he has] just enough of an edge to him it looks like. So I apologize, not that I made this vocal to anybody else, but in my own head. Kenny, keep doing what you’re doing because you are leading this team and becoming the guy that everyone was hoping you would be. I think the sky is the limit for him, really.”

Really nice words from Ben here.

Reactions: Peat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad