OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Definitely saw improvement and some nice anticipation throws. He gets in a rhythm and lets it rip. That throw to simms has been open for 3 weeks. Last week vegas left him wide open but he wasn’t the first or 2nd read so KP missed him.
Definitely climbed the pocket better this game instead of just bailing to his right at the first sigb of trouble like he did in college
Him bailing the pocket is the biggest improvement point I think he needs to work on this offseason. This line isn't THAT bad. They give him clean pockets and Najee running lanes but neither guy takes what they are given consistently. Kenny got shellshocked at Pitt for 3 years, and he gets happy feet. He is doing the same now, even when he has a perfect pocket around him. He abandoned a legit perfect pocket last night where he would have had 7 seconds to throw the ball. He rolled left and then had to make an off balance throw

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I am beginning to buy the theory that the universe is defending Tomlin's streak of not having a losing season.

Starting qb's the Steelers have faced this season:

Burrow (x2)
Mac Jones
Jacoby Brissett
Zach Wilson
Josh Allen (they got killed)
Tom Brady (washed old man)
Tua (concussed)
Hurts (got crushed)
Andy Dalton
Matt Ryan (see Tom Brady)
Marcus Mariota
Sam Darnold
Derek Carr

Yikes

That supports my view that this is a QB starved league and KP doesn’t have to be some freak to be a top QB.

Cam must be loving him some KP right about now, because despite the shitty call, he would have been the goat for ending the Steelers season.

Always a huge positive when a team leader leader owes you a debt of gratitude.

Reactions: JTG

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
That supports my view that this is a QB starved league and KP doesn’t have to be some freak to be a top QB.

My thought exactly. And let's not forget, Burrow was beat by us. I can't remember the upper echelon of QBs being so thin.

I think that changes in the next 3-4 years. There are some incredible arms in college right now and some more coming.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Him bailing the pocket is the biggest improvement point I think he needs to work on this offseason. This line isn't THAT bad. They give him clean pockets and Najee running lanes but neither guy takes what they are given consistently. Kenny got shellshocked at Pitt for 3 years, and he gets happy feet. He is doing the same now, even when he has a perfect pocket around him. He abandoned a legit perfect pocket last night where he would have had 7 seconds to throw the ball. He rolled left and then had to make an off balance throw

He has been bailing early, but the line was really bad in pass protection last night, so don’t blame him for running so much.

That’s basically how Roth played his first couple of seasons before he became a pocket passer.

Last night showed us in real time how a good young QB like KP is learning to go through his first couple reads before taking off vs a guy like Huntley who pulls it down when his first read isn’t open.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
He has been bailing early, but the line was really bad in pass protection last night, so don’t blame him for running so much.

That’s basically how Roth played his first couple of seasons before he became a pocket passer.

Last night showed us in real time how a good young QB like KP is learning to go through his first couple reads before taking off vs a guy like Huntley who pulls it down when his first read isn’t open.

Dan Moore is an epic fail at LT. Chuks is barely passable. There were a few times where those guys managed to seal the edges and he ran outside of them. Tackle has to be upgraded in some way.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
My thought exactly. And let's not forget, Burrow was beat by us. I can't remember the upper echelon of QBs being so thin.

I think that changes in the next 3-4 years. There are some incredible arms in college right now and some more coming.

It’s more or less been this way most of my life.

Right now they have a handful of elite guys and some good second tier ones, which is basically how it’s always been.

I think the late 90s and early 2000s was the only real exception as there was a 2-3 year gap between the retirement of guys like Young and Elway before Manning and Brady established themselves as the next generational guys.

Dan Moore is an epic fail at LT. Chuks is barely passable. There were a few times where those guys managed to seal the edges and he ran outside of them. Tackle has to be upgraded in some way.

No doubt.

KP is one of the most mobile QBs in the league, but doesn’t seem to get credit for it.

If he wasn’t, I have little doubt this line would be in the bottom of the league for pass protection stats.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
You said I don't want the team to win because I believe they will get smoked by a super bowl contender in the first round of the playoffs as a mediocore team that might eek into the playoffs.

I don't know how many more ways I can say expecting the Steelers to lose against teams that are obviously much better than them is not the same as saying I want them to lose.
Except you actually said you hope they make the playoffs so they can get smoked by a real team. What part of wanting them to get smoked is different from wanting them to lose?

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Is this post from 2021? I mean, yeah, the tackles aren’t the strength of the team but the OL has been fine this year. I’m far more worried about CB and DL and ILB moving forward this off-season. And they need another WR.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA

I still think that’s the most likely issue in terms of getting in but if Miami has to start Thompson the Jets absolutely could win.

We really need Buffalo to win tonight. If they lose and KC wins next Saturday the Bills probably rest guys against NE.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
No doubt.

KP is one of the most mobile QBs in the league, but doesn’t seem to get credit for it.

If he wasn’t, I have little doubt this line would be in the bottom of the league for pass protection stats.

He needs to find a greater level of calm in the pocket. I think he could really pick teams apart if he played a bit calmer and in control. That should come with experience.

Kenny and Najee both played like franchise players last night, and that's exciting, even for a guy who thinks they would be better off tanking. This 6-2 run will be good for all involved in the long run.

Is this post from 2021? I mean, yeah, the tackles aren’t the strength of the team but the OL has been fine this year. I’m far more worried about CB and DL and ILB moving forward this off-season. And they need another WR.

The OL has been a little below average, I'd say. Statistically, they are below average, but some of that is due to Kenny and Najee. We have by far the worst tackle duo in the NFL and it's not even close, and it absolutely needs to be addressed. Dan Moore got turnstile'd last night twice that I actually saw, but he consistently gets blown back into the pocket.

DL and CB absolutely need to be addressed, but I'd put them on similar footing as T.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I'm not even sure they'll be there in the 1st...but I'd really like to nab either Johnston (TCU) or Harrison Jr at WR. Both those guys are likely to be big time game breakers. Trade DJ for a middling pick.

The 2nd pick can be a tackle. The other 2nd a CB or DL. Address some needs in FA.

Can you imagine a new OC, a more experienced KP, two monsters on the outside with Friar at TE?

It's a dream, I know we'll probably just stick with underwhelming DJ and draft a lineman #1.

Side note: if Najee can finally start running with purpose like last night and Warren as the 2nd punch we have a solid run game.

The Oline was great in run protection

Colonel Mustard

Dec 26, 2017
I'm not even sure they'll be there in the 1st...but I'd really like to nab either Johnston (TCU) or Harrison Jr at WR. Both those guys are likely to be big time game breakers. Trade DJ for a middling pick.

The 2nd pick can be a tackle. The other 2nd a CB or DL. Address some needs in FA.

Can you imagine a new OC, a more experienced KP, two monsters on the outside with Friar at TE?

It's a dream, I know we'll probably just stick with underwhelming DJ and draft a lineman #1.

Side note: if Najee can finally start running with purpose like last night and Warren as the 2nd punch we have a solid run game.

The Oline was great in run protection
I think harrison will be in next years draft, but yes

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
He needs to find a greater level of calm in the pocket. I think he could really pick teams apart if he played a bit calmer and in control. That should come with experience.

Kenny and Najee both played like franchise players last night, and that's exciting, even for a guy who thinks they would be better off tanking. This 6-2 run will be good for all involved in the long run.

The OL has been a little below average, I'd say. Statistically, they are below average, but some of that is due to Kenny and Najee. We have by far the worst tackle duo in the NFL and it's not even close, and it absolutely needs to be addressed. Dan Moore got turnstile'd last night twice that I actually saw, but he consistently gets blown back into the pocket.

DL and CB absolutely need to be addressed, but I'd put them on similar footing as T.

The calmness will come with experience.

He has that alarm in his head if he can’t find an open guy while working through his progressions.

He’s a smart guy and as he masters the O, will no doubt feel more comfortable hanging in there longer.

The big positive is his accuracy on the move has translated to the NFL.

I’m pretty stoked about that.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA

Eh I think it’s been fine. They are middle of the pack in rushing and in sacks allowed despite having a clown OC and inexperienced skill position guys. Ravens had 2 sacks last night and 1 of those was on Pickett. If they can get an upgrade at T, sure, I’m not opposed. I just wouldn’t reach for one when I think they have needs that equal or surpass them.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
That is fine Have the Steelers Offense NOT struggled all season ?

Ya I fear KP’s clutch gene may keep Canada employed.

This org is known for being contented and talking themselves out of the obvious issues.

Most Steeler fans will really enjoy the commentary after the highlights:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Eh I think it’s been fine. They are middle of the pack in rushing and in sacks allowed despite having a clown OC and inexperienced skill position guys. Ravens had 2 sacks last night and 1 of those was on Pickett. If they can get an upgrade at T, sure, I’m not opposed. I just wouldn’t reach for one when I think they have needs that equal or surpass them.
The team has holes, and outside of QB and RB, I think they could afford to take the BPA. Hell, they could even use some QB depth later in the draft.

The calmness will come with experience.

He has that alarm in his head if he can’t find an open guy while working through his progressions.

He’s a smart guy and as he masters the O, will no doubt feel more comfortable hanging in there longer.

The big positive is his accuracy on the move has translated to the NFL.

I’m pretty stoked about that.
It absolutely has. When he's moving, he can rip the ball and it is on target. His stats really aren't indicative of how he has played, IMO.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
I think harrison will be in next years draft, but yes
Crap you're right. Well with Johnston likely gone near #10 I guess new plan. If there's a guy like Njigba is interesting as well but I'm less likely to put a #1 pick on him. If he fell to #33? Then ya I probably would.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
This season has been frustrating at times, but I can’t really remember the last time I’ve enjoyed watching the Steelers this much. Maybe 2017? They’re just a really easy group to root for.

This offseason will be interesting to see how the Khan/Weidl combo deviate from what Colbert did. If Colbert were still here, I wouldn’t be surprised if they just went with the status quo at OL. I don’t know how much say Weidl will have, but the Eagles placed a premium on the lines.

Reactions: Peat

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
The DL really needs attention. Alualu is done. Who knows if Ogunjobi is back. Cam is nearing the end. Adams is just a guy. Loudermilk doesn’t appear to be anything. I like Leal but depending on Ogunjobi and what they do in free agency, I think investing 2 of their 4 picks in the first 3 rounds is a necessity.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think this team has so many holes that it wouldn't be wise to draft a WR, but I honestly think they need a WR as well. It's far down the list below a LT and CB, but I don't particularly like either Pickens or DJ as a true #1 WR. I don't think you necessarily need a true #1 WR though, I think having 3 good WRs between Pickens, Johnson and one other guy would be sufficient. Especially if that one other guy is a good slot receiver.

I think this team needs to have a run-focused offense with Pickett as QB going forward. I like the Warren and Harris RB duo, so I don't think you need to address the RBs. You desperately need to address the OL and OC situation and I think you need a physical slot receiver like what Juju was. Beyond that, I think the offense is mostly fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad