OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
We are on a collision course for the most maddening, yet hilarious Steelers season ever. It's so Mike Tomlin.
What is the opposite of clutch?

I mean yeah, the Steelers did win a Superbowl under him. But for the most part his entire career is underperforming when they have loaded teams and it counts and padding wins when it does not matter and actually hurts the team.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
What is the opposite of clutch?

I mean yeah, the Steelers did win a Superbowl under him. But for the most part his entire career is underperforming when they have loaded teams and it counts and padding wins when it does not matter and actually hurts the team.

The issue I have always had with Tomlin is that his teams are not prepared or disciplined. Just this year the players have spoken about how they felt they were not prepared for the game. That is 100% squarely on the shoulders of the coach. His teams consistently play down to competition. The fact absolutely no success came from the Killer B era of Steelers football is a travesty. He refuses to hire legit coordinators. Luckily Flores was black, because if he wasn't Tomlin wouldn't have even pondered bringing him on board if he wasn't. Tomlin forced out Arians, Lebeau, and Munchak. All guys who went on to continue coaching despite "retiring."

With all of this being said, Cowher's teams were very similar. For the longest time he couldn't get over the top. His teams blew leads and he couldn't win the big game. It's been an issue here for a really long time. It's revisionist history for those who believe Cowher was so much better than Tomlin. The big difference between Cowher and Tomlin is Cowher's teams were at least prepared. He had great coordiinators. He fell in the same trap as Tomlin though were he would take responsibilities away from coordinators and fact is, Cowher was an average coach but great motivator. It's a complete repeat here.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
The issue I have always had with Tomlin is that his teams are not prepared or disciplined. Just this year the players have spoken about how they felt they were not prepared for the game. That is 100% squarely on the shoulders of the coach. His teams consistently play down to competition. The fact absolutely no success came from the Killer B era of Steelers football is a travesty. He refuses to hire legit coordinators. Luckily Flores was black, because if he wasn't Tomlin wouldn't have even pondered bringing him on board if he wasn't. Tomlin forced out Arians, Lebeau, and Munchak. All guys who went on to continue coaching despite "retiring."

With all of this being said, Cowher's teams were very similar. For the longest time he couldn't get over the top. His teams blew leads and he couldn't win the big game. It's been an issue here for a really long time. It's revisionist history for those who believe Cowher was so much better than Tomlin. The big difference between Cowher and Tomlin is Cowher's teams were at least prepared. He had great coordiinators. He fell in the same trap as Tomlin though were he would take responsibilities away from coordinators and fact is, Cowher was an average coach but great motivator. It's a complete repeat here.
Tomlin didn’t force out BA or Munchak. Munchak went to coach closer to his grandkids and when he was let go he said Tomlin called him but he didn’t want to leave his Grandkids. BA said it was ownership because he got friendly with Ben and was going to get him killed

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
I'm hoping not so Anti Tomlin Bots can't use having a losing season
I think he sucks anyways

Tomlin didn’t force out BA or Munchak. Munchak went to coach closer to his grandkids and when he was let go he said Tomlin called him but he didn’t want to leave his Grandkids. BA said it was ownership because he got friendly with Ben and was going to get him killed
SOOOOOO Arians "RETIRED" & then took The Arizona HC job, Pull the other leg & it plays Jingle Bells

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
I'm hoping not so Anti Tomlin Bots can't use having a losing season

1. That doesn't roll off the tongue.

2. We're out numbered.

3. We've just established that Tomlin is a bot.

Arians wife hates Tomlin. Like HATES. Like could get it out enough in an interview.

Factorial

Oct 7, 2019
There are times where that makes sense I went to Pens game in 1983 and we all knew the fix was in.

Here, not so much. Moving up a few picks isn't worth hoping they lose games.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
1988. The Pens finished second in the division. They swept the New York Rangers in the Division Semi-finals before losing the Division Finals in seven games.

The expectations were sky high.

1989 the wheels fell off. Picked 5th overall. Jaromir Jagr.

Won the cup the next two seasons.

Mario.

Crosby.

Well, Crosby was the lottery but you get the idea.

Losing at the right time can lead to great things.

Last edited:
Reactions: Night Shift

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I think he sucks anyways

SOOOOOO Arians "RETIRED" & then took The Arizona HC job, Pull the other leg & it plays Jingle Bells
Yeah in his interview with hbo he said Tomlin wanted to get him his bread but ownership wouldn’t bring him back

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
How things stand right now, we should still have a really good chance at pulling a good LT in the 1st.

Reactions: Goalie_Bob

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
How things stand right now, we should still have a really good chance at pulling a good LT in the 1st.

I had my hopes up of pulling a generational defensive lineman at the top of the first followed by that offensive lineman (or two) in the second round. That would have been a huge jump start at a rebuild.

I am mourning the dream.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
There was never a chance for that scenario.

And there is nothing wrong with taking a Franchise LT in the first and another OL and a DL in the 2nd.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
dreamrainingcopy.jpg

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
They need an LT and a NT. If they get those two positions, I'm happy.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
They need an LT and a NT. If they get those two positions, I'm happy.
I remember not that long ago when the Steelers needed a defensive back and the one that they told the entire world that they wanted was drafted right before they picked.

How did that work out?

The terrible thing about the Steelers (aside from reaching far too often of late and failing), and the great thing about this draft, is that they have more holes than a wheel of Swiss Cheese.

If there ever was a Steelers' team that genuinely could go best player available and actually mean it this is this Steelers' team.

They SHOULD just pick the best player that falls to them whatever position. But they will not.

Not only do they have that many needs but there are so many holes to fill that this is not going to be a one year rebuild.

To quote:

Pittsburgh has some pretty clear needs this upcoming offseason. Upgrades at offensive tackle, defensive tackle, outside linebacker, cornerback and interior offensive line are all options as well as adding a wide receiver.

And that is just a start. KP is looking a bit better but I am not sold on him. LB could use an upgrade especially with Bush never living up to the pick.

They may as well have listed every position as a possible need. Actually, looking at that list they in fact did say that.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I remember not that long ago when the Steelers needed a defensive back and the one that they told the entire world that they wanted was drafted right before they picked.

How did that work out?

The terrible thing about the Steelers (aside from reaching far too often of late and failing), and the great thing about this draft, is that they have more holes than a wheel of Swiss Cheese.

If there ever was a Steelers' team that genuinely could go best player available and actually mean it this is this Steelers' team.

They SHOULD just pick the best player that falls to them whatever position. But they will not.

Not only do they have that many needs but there are so many holes to fill that this is not going to be a one year rebuild.

To quote:

And that is just a start. KP is looking a bit better but I am not sold on him. LB could use an upgrade especially with Bush never living up to the pick.

They may as well have listed every position as a possible need. Actually, looking at that list they in fact did say that.

I don't disagree, but what this team really needs is the exact same thing they needed in 2001. They drafted Casey Hampton and that defense went nuclear for the next 10 years.

I really don't know how good KP can be in the NFL. The thing I do know is that he's an NFL QB and he's good enough to work with until we can get this roster up to the level it needs to be. When it's finally there, they can judge on if KP can be upgraded.

Reactions: Jaded-Fan

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish

Yeah, but he buys the team shoes and stuff so it’s all good.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

How did that work out?

To quote:

I can’t imagine a scenario where they give up on KP right now, especially with this upcoming class.

You have an undersized QB that didn’t build off his wonderkid sophomore season, an Ohio State Jared Goff clone, and a raw prospect with pedestrian numbers that will also be 24 as the top 3 headliners.

Not to mention some desperate teams will pluck them long before the Steelers pick.

I also can’t imagine the Steelers looking at any of these three, thinking they will be that much better than KP, and thinking they have to sell the farm and grab one.

They are also good at RB, WR, TE and safety.

So with LT, CB, LG, DL, and ILB as major needs, I can’t see them having to reach for anyone.

I’m not sure why there is any consternation about them reaching for a guy when they clearly have 4-5 positions they need big upgrades for.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Yeah in his interview with hbo he said Tomlin wanted to get him his bread but ownership wouldn’t bring him back

because Tomlin & Rooney looked at Arians as a threat to Senile Dan's Legacy Hire

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
I can’t imagine a scenario where they give up on KP right now, especially with this upcoming class.

You have an undersized QB that didn’t build off his wonderkid sophomore season, an Ohio State Jared Goff clone, and a raw prospect with pedestrian numbers that will also be 24 as the top 3 headliners.

Not to mention some desperate teams will pluck them long before the Steelers pick.

I also can’t imagine the Steelers looking at any of these three, thinking they will be that much better than KP, and thinking they have to sell the farm and grab one.

They are also good at RB, WR, TE and safety.

So with LT, CB, LG, DL, and ILB as major needs, I can’t see them having to reach for anyone.

I’m not sure why there is any consternation about them reaching for a guy when they clearly have 4-5 positions they need big upgrades for.
I wouldn't say that CB is a major need. Sutton and Wallace are adequate starters. But I def agree the others you mentioned are major needs.
We also have a lot of cap space next summer. They'll likely snag a couple starters through free agency.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I wouldn't say that CB is a major need. Sutton and Wallace are adequate starters. But I def agree the others you mentioned are major needs.
We also have a lot of cap space next summer. They'll likely snag a couple starters through free agency.

They were set to have a ton of cap before the Fitz deal, but I haven’t looked at the numbers since his deal.

That number I originally saw before his deal would obviously be significantly lower now.

I’d love to see them find a top ILB via FA, but haven’t looked at who is available or potentially available.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I agree with the idea that Pickett taking developmental steps probably beats picking 12th instead of 16th, and I don't really feel worried about the draft considering their record/recent changes

I don't think the team is short of starters, but it is short of a CB1. That's something worth considering where they might be picking.

Although they must just be short of starters full stop if Sutton walks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad