OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
You move on from him for a 1st, no question. It would be foolish not to.

For a 2nd, I think it's debatable, but I would. Especially if it's in the first half of the second.

That isn't the argument though. The argument is teams already know he isn't worth a 1st and won't pay that for him.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
That isn't the argument though. The argument is teams already know he isn't worth a 1st and won't pay that for him.
We will see how the rest of this season goes. Johnson is highly regarded and the likes of Hollywood Brown got a 1st. Matters if you are trying to appease a QB as it seems like half the league is.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
We will see how the rest of this season goes. Johnson is highly regarded and the likes of Hollywood Brown got a 1st. Matters if you are trying to appease a QB as it seems like half the league is.

Brown was worth a 1st though, baggage and all. The individual performance he put up yesterday was unbelievable.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Brown was worth a 1st though, baggage and all. The individual performance he put up yesterday was unbelievable.
You're thinking of AJ Brown. I'm talking Marquise Brown in Arizona. Philadelphia traded for AJ Brown to give him $100M. In this case a team would be trading for Johnson to give him line 2/$15M.

Reactions: Night Shift

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Hollywood Brown was on a bye week yesterday and absolutely wasn’t worth a 1st round pick… now AJ Brown on the other hand

You're thinking of AJ Brown. I'm talking Marquise Brown in Arizona. Philadelphia traded for AJ Brown to give him $100M. In this case a team would be trading for Johnson to give him line 2/$15M.

My bad..yeah I was thinking AJ.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
WRs better than Dionte Johnson:

AFC
Garrett Wilson
Stefon Diggs
Gabe Davis
Tyreek Hill
Jaylon Waddle
Amari Cooper
Ja'Marr Chase
Tee Higgins
Tyler Boyd
George Pickens
Christian Kirk
Courtland Sutton
Jerry Jeudy
Devonte Adams
Keenan Allen
Mike Williams

NFC
CeeDee Lamb
AJ Brown
Davonta Smith
Terry McLaurin
Mike Evans
Chris Godwin
Chris Olave
Michael Thomas
Drake London
Justin Jefferson
Adam Thielen
Christian Watson
Amon-Ra St. Brown
Chase Claypool
Cooper Kupp
DeAndre Hopkins
Deebo Samuel
DK Metcalf

Teams DJ would be WR1:
Chiefs (maybe)
Colts
Giants
Panthers
Patriots
Texans
Titans

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Everybody said Claypool wasn't worth a 2nd, too :dunno:

If you can't get a 1st or 2nd, then just keep him.

And I was one of them :laugh:

I'm sure The Bears are thinking the same right now. If anything, maybe he needs an off-season to adjust to his new team. He may come back better next year.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019

AFC
Garrett Wilson
Stefon Diggs
Gabe Davis
Tyreek Hill
Jaylon Waddle
Amari Cooper
Ja'Marr Chase
Tee Higgins
Tyler Boyd
George Pickens
Christian Kirk
Courtland Sutton
Jerry Jeudy
Devonte Adams
Keenan Allen
Mike Williams

NFC
CeeDee Lamb
AJ Brown
Davonta Smith
Terry McLaurin
Mike Evans
Chris Godwin
Chris Olave
Michael Thomas
Drake London
Justin Jefferson
Adam Thielen
Christian Watson
Amon-Ra St. Brown
Chase Claypool
Cooper Kupp
DeAndre Hopkins
Deebo Samuel
DK Metcalf

Teams DJ would be WR1:
Chiefs (maybe)
Colts
Giants
Panthers
Patriots
Texans
Titans
Lol no way this is your real list.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Garoppolo is out for the season. The 9'ers are sitting at 8-4, first in their division, and are down to their 3rd string, rookie QB. Too bad it didn't happen earlier. Have to think they would have been willing to give up something for Mitch or Rudolph.
Mayfield on waivers. Gotta imagine he ends up with the 9'ers.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
OSU must have a horseshoe up their collective asses.

Get blown out by 22 points at home late in the season and they still make the playoffs. What a joke.

But hey, that's just a PSU fan's opinion who's still bitter about beating OSU, winning the Big 10, and watching OSU make the playoffs and NOT PSU.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
On first thought, I'd be ok with trading DJ for a 2nd if I knew the Steelers were signing another receiver. Even with DJ, this team desperately needs another receiver. I can't count on CAIII with him being hurt all season and having never played in the league. And the other guys are a whole bunch of mediocre at best.

But thinking about it some more, honestly, I think I would rather hold on to DJ and then have them sign a Juju or someone like DJ Chark. I don't think the 4.6mil in cap savings and 11.6mil cap hit for a 2nd is worth the tradeoff when the FA market is less than mediocre and the draft class is very meh.

I mean, if they trade DJ they basically have to take a WR in Round 1 or the high Round 2 pick. Because if they trade DJ, they would be going into next season with Pickens, who has not shown he can be a #1 or even a #2, yes he has had flashes but that's it, and basically nothing. And that would not be good for Pickett's development.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Mayfield on waivers. Gotta imagine he ends up with the 9'ers.

I accidentally caught a segment on YT the other day, between Skip Bayless and Shanon Sharpe.

It was a day or so after the draft and Bayless was insistent the Steelers f***ed up drafting KP when they could have traded for Mayfield.

Couldn’t tell what SS said half the time because he sounds like he’s gargling marbles, but the look on his face didn’t seem to agree with Bayless.

“Someone just needs to give him a chance and he will finally show how talented he is”

Ppl never learn man. If a team gives up on a QB, it’s like 99% sure the dude is not an answer anywhere.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021

AFC
Garrett Wilson
Stefon Diggs
Gabe Davis
Tyreek Hill
Jaylon Waddle
Amari Cooper
Ja'Marr Chase
Tee Higgins
Tyler Boyd
George Pickens
Christian Kirk
Courtland Sutton
Jerry Jeudy
Devonte Adams
Keenan Allen
Mike Williams

NFC
CeeDee Lamb
AJ Brown
Davonta Smith
Terry McLaurin
Mike Evans
Chris Godwin
Chris Olave
Michael Thomas
Drake London
Justin Jefferson
Adam Thielen
Christian Watson
Amon-Ra St. Brown
Chase Claypool
Cooper Kupp
DeAndre Hopkins
Deebo Samuel
DK Metcalf

Teams DJ would be WR1:
Chiefs (maybe)
Colts
Giants
Panthers
Patriots
Texans
Titans

Whether your list is accurate or not isn't the debate. The market last year dictactes that DJ would fetch a 1st. Unsure if that continues to this offseason

Just like right now my house is worth X. I don't believe that's reality, but if someone wants to pay it, I'm not going to complain

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
On first thought, I'd be ok with trading DJ for a 2nd if I knew the Steelers were signing another receiver. Even with DJ, this team desperately needs another receiver. I can't count on CAIII with him being hurt all season and having never played in the league. And the other guys are a whole bunch of mediocre at best.

But thinking about it some more, honestly, I think I would rather hold on to DJ and then have them sign a Juju or someone like DJ Chark. I don't think the 4.6mil in cap savings and 11.6mil cap hit for a 2nd is worth the tradeoff when the FA market is less than mediocre and the draft class is very meh.

I mean, if they trade DJ they basically have to take a WR in Round 1 or the high Round 2 pick. Because if they trade DJ, they would be going into next season with Pickens, who has not shown he can be a #1 or even a #2, yes he has had flashes but that's it, and basically nothing. And that would not be good for Pickett's development.

I doubt he’d have much of an interest in returning but I would love to have JuJu back. He was always a reliable 3rd down target for Ben and he’s been that a lot of times for Mahomes as well.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I accidentally caught a segment on YT the other day, between Skip Bayless and Shanon Sharpe.

It was a day or so after the draft and Bayless was insistent the Steelers f***ed up drafting KP when they could have traded for Mayfield.

Couldn’t tell what SS said half the time because he sounds like he’s gargling marbles, but the look on his face didn’t seem to agree with Bayless.

“Someone just needs to give him a chance and he will finally show how talented he is”

Ppl never learn man. If a team gives up on a QB, it’s like 99% sure the dude is not an answer anywhere.
Agreed, but desperate times call for desperate measures. Even if they just sign him as insurance, he's probably better than the journeyman they just signed off a practice squad.

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Whether your list is accurate or not isn't the debate. The market last year dictactes that DJ would fetch a 1st. Unsure if that continues to this offseason

Just like right now my house is worth X. I don't believe that's reality, but if someone wants to pay it, I'm not going to complain
It does not. He’s not an elite WR. He’s a low tier WR1 at best. 2nd round pick if they’re lucky enough to get a bite

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh

Bayless still thinks someone should give Tim Tebow a chance. And I totally agree, the amount of guys who were given up on and never became anything vastly dwarfs the list of guys who became something.

Honestly, who was the last guy? I can't think of one. Does Geno Smith count? He wasn't drafted in the first round and considered a future franchise guy.

I just looked at a list since the year 2000. Tannehill is the only one.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
It does not. He’s not an elite WR. He’s a low tier WR1 at best. 2nd round pick if they’re lucky enough to get a bite

You're missing my point.
I agree DJ isn't elite, but less than Elite WR's have fetched 1st rounders. Again, that is the MARKET.

If you're unfamiliar with economics, I suggest this book:

Bayless still thinks someone should give Tim Tebow a chance. And I totally agree, the amount of guys who were given up on and never became anything vastly dwarfs the list of guys who became something.

Honestly, who was the last guy? I can't think of one. Does Geno Smith count? He wasn't drafted in the first round and considered a future franchise guy.

Tommy Maddox and Doug Flutie come to mind for me lol

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

And Tannenhill hasn’t done anything in the playoffs.

Geno Smith is having a late career resurgence, but I doubt Seattle sees him as more than a stop gap.

If a team gives up on a QB, it is always a really bad omen.

If Cleveland gives up on a QB, you 100% know he’s toast.

Reactions: Goalie_Bob

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
You're missing my point.
I agree DJ isn't elite, but less than Elite WR's have fetched 1st rounders. Again, that is the MARKET.
I really hope you're right bc I'd take a 1st and run for DJ. Though looking at him. He'll be 27 on an expensive deal with pretty bad numbers overall. I question what team pays for him?

Claypool getting a 2nd I get. Cost controlled 24 yr old that has unique athletic abilities teams covet.

Reactions: Andy99

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
And Tannenhill hasn’t done anything in the playoffs.

Geno Smith is having a late career resurgence, but I doubt Seattle sees him as more than a stop gap.

If a team gives up on a QB, it is always a really bad omen.

If Cleveland gives up on a QB, you 100% know he’s toast.

I don't know if it's the same context but I'm thinking exaples on the other side of the coin when the Steelers gave up on Johnny Unitas

Or Tampa Bay giving up on Vinny Testeverte, Steve Young and Trent Dilfer. All three had success elsewhere.

Or Atlanta giving up Favre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad