OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Is there an actual table to compare because I can't find it.

Edit: never mind found it within the link.

Speaking of which: Chris Godwin, 1/4 less games than DJ (out 3 games). Playing with an injured hamstring all season as a #2. Same yardage as DJ.
Ancient Tom Brady > Ancient Ben

Chris Godwin is legit great WR.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
We’ll see if Tomlin learned his lesson with AB.

Pickens should be sitting a quarter Sunday, but likely won’t happen.

On the other side of the coin, DJ does a lot of stupid shit that hurts his team.

He’s just a volume catcher that doesn’t make big plays when you need them.

It’s hard to win with guys like him.
Like i said he certainly has his warts. But its not hard to win with guys like him if he had a QB throughout his career that can consistently get him the ball.

I mean hes clearly not a dominant #1 type because of his flaws but hes still a really good WR that id gladly take in my lineup.

Right, and if a competitive team wanted to pay a 1st for a receiver, Godwin would be worth that.
And?

Am i missing a point here?

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Like i said he certainly has his warts. But its not hard to win with guys like him if he had a QB throughout his career that can consistently get him the ball.

I mean hes clearly not a dominant #1 type because of his flaws but hes still a really good WR that id gladly take in my lineup.

And?

The point is DJ isn't worth a 1st.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Count me in the "not a fan" category for DJ. Too many drops, no field awareness, no YAC, afraid of taking any type of contact, not a deep threat. Unquestionably has a lot of talent, but he's not dynamic enough to be a #1 and not reliable enough to be a #2 possession type of guy....and his ego can't handle being a #2 anyway.

Garoppolo is out for the season. The 9'ers are sitting at 8-4, first in their division, and are down to their 3rd string, rookie QB. Too bad it didn't happen earlier. Have to think they would have been willing to give up something for Mitch or Rudolph.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
The point is DJ isn't worth a 1st.

Hard disagree, unless the WR market has shifted in 1 off season. The fact the Bears gave up a 2nd for Claypool, a guy not even in DJ's stratosphere, should tell you everything.

I was a HUGE DJ fan early on, even with the drops. He seemed to be a mature dude who knew he had shortcomings and needed to work on them. He wanted a new contract and the Steelers gave it to him. Well he hasn't help up his end of the bargain. He goes backwards in the open field, isn't particularly dynamic and doesn't do combat catches well.

He's a volume guy. And the Steelers would be well served by making Pickens the #1 WR instead of DJ

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

And?

He provides little explosive plays, has a paltry YPC avg every season and isn’t even like one of those slow, sure handed possession receivers that a #2 should be.

He’s just kind of a dude who passes through when your team blows and we will look back on in 4-5 years and say shit like “remember when the offense was so bad that Diontae Johnson was their best WR?”

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Hard disagree, unless the WR market has shifted in 1 off season. The fact the Bears gave up a 2nd for Claypool, a guy not even in DJ's stratosphere, should tell you everything.

I was a HUGE DJ fan early on, even with the drops. He seemed to be a mature dude who knew he had shortcomings and needed to work on them. He wanted a new contract and the Steelers gave it to him. Well he hasn't help up his end of the bargain. He goes backwards in the open field, isn't particularly dynamic and doesn't do combat catches well.

He's a volume guy. And the Steelers would be well served by making Pickens the #1 WR instead of DJ

This is where I’m at. Should a team trade a first for DJ? That’s debatable and I’d probably side with everyone saying no.

Would they? With the market being what it is, the lack of free agent options, and the down year for receivers in the draft, I’m saying yes. The NFL is telling us they place a premium on the position with some of the contracts that have been signed and some of the assets that have been traded for guys like Claypool and Hollywood Brown.

Last edited:

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I think some team could possibly part with a 1st for him, depending on the circumstances. They could rationalize away things like the low YAC by blaming it on the system/routes. The drops are really the only thing you can't do that with. And, there's always the "Claypool got a really high 2nd" argument.

It's certainly possible.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

That’s disappointing on a couple levels.

Would have been fun to see KP and LJ first head to head match.

Tomlin owns LJ though so this may actually work in Raven’s favor.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
He provides little explosive plays, has a paltry YPC avg every season and isn’t even like one of those slow, sure handed possession receivers that a #2 should be.

He’s just kind of a dude who passes through when your team blows and we will look back on in 4-5 years and say shit like “remember when the offense was so bad that Diontae Johnson was their best WR?”
I think the lack of explosive plays in indicative of the QBs and offense over the last handful of years. He gets open downfield. But they just love ignoring anything but f’ing 5 yard hitch routes

Reactions: Pens1566

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Did i say he was?

I'm not sure....

s-l1600.jpg

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Unless there's an off-field chemistry issue with DJ and KP, I don't see how you move on from Johnson, despite him being overpaid. Because 1) he is good at getting open quickly after the snap and 2) this offense is predisposed to the short pass, that's how Johnson is employed. I'm not saying he should be used otherwise, and not I'm not saying he doesn't have warts or the drops. But b y the same token, a volume receiver should be a good thing for a developing QB. With Pickens at his best and a quality third receiver, he's definitely a piece of the puzzle. And, while I don't like his contract, there's already enough work to be done in the offseason without trying to add another starting WR, IMO. And no, I am not counting on anything from CA3.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013

That’s disappointing on a couple levels.

Would have been fun to see KP and LJ first head to head match.

Tomlin owns LJ though so this may actually work in Raven’s favor.

Though judging entirely by his State line. The Ravens backup posted LJ type numbers and led them in rushing. So I assume our game plan is the exact same.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I think the lack of explosive plays in indicative of the QBs and offense over the last handful of years. He gets open downfield. But they just love ignoring anything but f’ing 5 yard hitch routes

I think it’s more a bad combination of lacking elite speed and being poor at winning 50/50 balls.

He also lacks open field vision with the ball… it’s pretty bad unfortunately.

We can make jokes about him running backwards, but the truth is he doesn’t do much with the ball after he catches it.

He has to have one of the lowest YACs in the league for a starting flanker. I know he’s not even in the top 20 just in the AFC…

That’s more on him than blaming Canada or any QB.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
The truth is in the middle for me with DJ. He's just not a #1, too mistake prone and has never shown off big plays with regularity.

Great recievers will shine regardless of situation though I'll admit it can certainly dampen success.

I fail to believe he'd go elsewhere and be a star.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Unless there's an off-field chemistry issue with DJ and KP, I don't see how you move on from Johnson, despite him being overpaid. Because 1) he is good at getting open quickly after the snap and 2) this offense is predisposed to the short pass, that's how Johnson is employed. I'm not saying he should be used otherwise, and not I'm not saying he doesn't have warts or the drops. But b y the same token, a volume receiver should be a good thing for a developing QB. With Pickens at his best and a quality third receiver, he's definitely a piece of the puzzle. And, while I don't like his contract, there's already enough work to be done in the offseason without trying to add another starting WR, IMO. And no, I am not counting on anything from CA3.

I understand the concern of KP working with a new WR, but the Steelers have been really good in 1 area: finding WR's in the draft.

Not saying they MUST trade him, but if a 1st is offered they'd be silly to not take it.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Though judging entirely by his State line. The Ravens backup posted LJ type numbers and led them in rushing. So I assume our game plan is the exact same.

He’s pretty much a discount LJ but he’s really not terrible.

It’s actually probably convenient they played the Falcons and Ravens back to back. They have similar styles of offense.

Josey Wales

May 16, 2022
Kedon Slovis is supposedly entering the Transfer Portal Than God ^ Greyhound her is gone & Speculation is Phil Jurkovec who also entered thew Transfer Portal will come home to PITT

Reactions: ChaosAgent

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
You move on from him for a 1st, no question. It would be foolish not to.

For a 2nd, I think it's debatable, but I would. Especially if it's in the first half of the second.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
He makes mistakes in back-breaking positions for the team. I no longer think his frame-of-mind is fixable. We should find a team who does think it's fixable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad