OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: 2022 Handball season has arrived!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colonel Mustard

Dec 26, 2017
He is developing, quite well. He was almost on pace for a 300 yard game at the half.

Lots to be encouraged with his development.

Tomlin is doing a good job with him so far and deserves props.
Also important, another game of no turnovers. Unlike those first couple of games, the entire thing isnt being placed on him. He is getting help from the running game, and showing improvement. Very encouraging.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Also important, another game of no turnovers. Unlike those first couple of games, the entire thing isnt being placed on him. He is getting help from the running game, and showing improvement. Very encouraging.

Yep, rookie franchise record without int. Hell of a turn around and he deserves huge props.

He might be getting close to the longest streak of any QB on the season without a pick… forget who it was with the streak when I saw it earlier this week, but KP was only 20-30 throws behind him.

Depends on which guy throws a pick first I suppose.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I mean hes no TOs because he’s not taking risks down the field…that overthrown ball to Muth in the end zone imo was placed too high because he was fearful of an INT with the safety bearing down…that’s not really how you want him to play, although I do think he’s gotten a lot better throwing the ball away when he doesn’t see anyone open

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
The OL is now, dare I say it, good?

I still think we need to invest big in a LT, but aside from that I think we can contend with this group

Reactions: Goalie_Bob

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I mean hes no TOs because he’s not taking risks down the field…that overthrown ball to Muth in the end zone imo was placed too high because he was fearful of an INT with the safety bearing down…that’s not really how you want him to play, although I do think he’s gotten a lot better throwing the ball away when he doesn’t see anyone open

He has no TO because he’s not playing hero ball and forcing it. He’s throwing the ball away and not being a dumb ass.

He’s doing well, try to enjoy it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just comparing Pickett pre-bye week and post-bye week:

Pre-bye week: 67.88% completion%, 2-8 TD-INT ratio, 5.83 Y/A, 8.59 Y/C
Post-bye week: 61.72% completion%, 2-0 TD-INT ratio, 6.52 Y/A, 10.57 Y/C

I think the noticeable increase in Y/C is the biggest evidence for how Pickett is improving, which I also think you can give credit to the massively improved run game for.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Pickett now looks like the game manager I was thinking/hoping we were getting. Don't think it's a coincidence that it comes at the same time they got the running game going a little bit.

Not to rehash this argument, but more signs of Pickens potentially being a problem WR.

Gotta give Canada a little credit for the first half, but second week in a row now where he's been figured out in the second half. Also the second week in a row the defense started to wear down in the second half. Good enough to beat the Colts and Falcons, I suppose, but doesn't give much confidence against better teams.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pickett now looks like the game manager I was thinking/hoping we were getting. Don't think it's a coincidence that it comes at the same time they got the running game going a little bit.

Not to rehash this argument, but more signs of Pickens potentially being a problem WR.

Gotta give Canada a little credit for the first half, but second week in a row now where he's been figured out in the second half. Also the second week in a row the defense started to wear down in the second half. Good enough to beat the Colts and Falcons, I suppose, but doesn't give much confidence against better teams.

See, I actually don't agree with this. The Steelers had only 3 drives in the second half. The first one was a 71 yard drive that resulted in a FG, the second one was that DJ drop drive and the third one was a 40 yard drive that the Steelers elected to punt instead of kicking a long field goal as they were icing out the game. I don't really think Canada got "figured out" in the second half, I just don't think the Steelers had many drives.

I think they really need to improve their ability to finish off drives and get TDs, but I don't think that's a second half specific issue.

Reactions: Colonel Mustard

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Kenny really is progressing, and it's great to see. Johnson was targeted 11 times for 5 catches...Pickens was targeted 2. My worry is that Pickett is letting all of the noise get in his head.

A young QB doesn't need that type of influence and they really should find a place to trade Diontae.

Colonel Mustard

Dec 26, 2017
Kenny really is progressing, and it's great to see. Johnson was targeted 11 times for 5 catches...Pickens was targeted 2. My worry is that Pickett is letting all of the noise get in his head.

A young QB doesn't need that type of influence and they really should find a place to trade Diontae.
I want to know why pickens was out of the game for such an extended period. Also fully agree trading DJ. If they could get some high picks it would go a long way make a rebuild shorter

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

DJ shouldn’t be the main target, given he’s not really anything special and he’s also unreliable.

But ya, I was getting some AB whining getting inside Roth’s head vibes today with Pickett targeting DJ so much.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I want to know why pickens was out of the game for such an extended period. Also fully agree trading DJ. If they could get some high picks it would go a long way make a rebuild shorter

Yeah we aren't getting any comp picks this year, so getting a few more picks would help the cause.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

I looked it up today and Diontae would save $5M next year if traded.

Depending on the return I do it. The 2nd they got for Claypool is a reasonable return.
I'm worried about Pickens' attitude however. We will need multiple additional receivers in the draft if we trade Diontae. Not sure what Austin III's status is.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

Depending on the return I do it. The 2nd they got for Claypool is a reasonable return.
I'm worried about Pickens' attitude however. We will need multiple additional receivers in the draft if we trade Diontae. Not sure what Austin III's status is.

I don’t think a first or even a little bit extra is out of the question if they shop DJ. The free agent market is pretty barren and the draft class doesn’t look to be stellar.

DJ is frustrating but from a talent level, he’d probably be one of the best options available. And his contract really isn’t bad at all given what the market is for receivers.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
DJ is frustrating but from a talent level, he’d probably be one of the best options available. And his contract really isn’t bad at all given what the market is for receivers.

Wouldn't his contract be mega-attractive for any acquiring team because the Steelers would eat >50% of the money especially in 2023? Like all the dead money we pay is actually just straight savings for the acquiring team.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

The way to keep Pickens in check (and any WR in check) is to just throw them the ball. Pickens is so good, that next year, he should lead the league in targets. He absolutely has top tier ability and DJ is standing in his way because DJ also believes he has top tier ability.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Wouldn't his contract be mega-attractive for any acquiring team because the Steelers would eat >50% of the money especially in 2023? Like all the dead money we pay is actually just straight savings for the acquiring team.

I think you might be right. I’ve never really tried understanding NFL contracts so I’m not sure though.

If that’s the case, I can’t see him bringing back anything less than a first.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I wouldn't expect DJ to bring back a 1st just because of the lack of team control teams would have over him. He'd be really appealing for the 1 year remaining on his deal, but they'll still need to pay him after the deal.

I would expect a 2nd back, though.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
I wouldn't expect DJ to bring back a 1st just because of the lack of team control teams would have over him. He'd be really appealing for the 1 year remaining on his deal, but they'll still need to pay him after the deal.

I would expect a 2nd back, though.
Any team who trades for him is going to extend him. He would easily be the top FA Wr this off season at 18 million he has 22 WR making more than him.

Absolutely not getting a first lol
And yet they got a 2nd of Claypool go look at the FA Wr class and then say that

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
The way to keep Pickens in check (and any WR in check) is to just throw them the ball. Pickens is so good, that next year, he should lead the league in targets. He absolutely has top tier ability and DJ is standing in his way because DJ also believes he has top tier ability.
Or they take a page out what Philly is doing with Smith and brown. Brown as impacted every other player on the Eagles offense and GP has Browns ability

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Any team who trades for him is going to extend him. He would easily be the top FA Wr this off season at 18 million he has 22 WR making more than him.

And yet they got a 2nd of Claypool go look at the FA Wr class and then say that
Yeah and DJ doesn’t have more value than Claypool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad