The Paul Maurice Pitchfork Thread (MOD Warning Post #1)

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Are we gonna claim maurice outcoached Montgomery now because of the result? Or did the team just finish their chances better because Boston got aweful goaltending? Our pk was worse. Our pp was just as brutal. And we got outplayed a bit more than last year. Tkachuk was a massive difference in net front. We defended far worse this year.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Are we gonna claim maurice outcoached Montgomery now because of the result?

Montgomery really botched Boston's goalie situation and completely panicked during that series, IMO. Meanwhile, Maurice tweaked things as the series progressed and the Panthers won three straight to finish it. So yes, I do think Maurice outcoached Montgomery.

Special teams were bad, just gotta hope they can find something there.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
There’s genuinely no point to bump this thread right now. It’s the playoffs, everyone has to be behind Maurice. Plus, he’s not going anywhere, so even if he seems like disaster, I hope he’s just playing nth dimensional chess or some shit I don’t know.

Everyone should want a winner and we just won. Keep it up or the pitchforks come back out.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
There’s genuinely no point to bump this thread right now. It’s the playoffs, everyone has to be behind Maurice. Plus, he’s not going anywhere, so even if he seems like disaster, I hope he’s just playing nth dimensional chess or some shit I don’t know.

Everyone should want a winner and we just won. Keep it up or the pitchforks come back out.
Completely agree, and I am one of PoMo's biggest critics.

Montgomery should have let Ullmark ride it out. The guy was not bad, except for the play behind the net on OT. He should have stuck with him. And I heard from a lot of BOS fans that they did not like Clifton in the lineup, should have kept Grzelyk in throughout the whole series.

BOS still is and was the better team, so Montgomery did a good job, as did PoMo. Nobody outcoaching anybody here

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I did start to wonder if Maurice wasn't working out here during the lowest point in the regular season and especially when the team just refused to win multiple games in a row and was totally inconsistent. But here we are, in round two of the playoffs after slaying the greatest regular season team in history. It seems that, whatever happened during the year, it wasn't all on Maurice.

I was very happy with this hire when it happened and I think it's going to pay off for the organization. This is a good coach.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
keep thread open. don't fn jinx us.. everyone needs a good critic... even us

As a sort of maurice defender, I'd say keep this thread open. can never be too humble and it'll be fun to look back on the takes when we start the next series down 3-0 and come back to win it.

Reactions: iam76

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
With the win over Boston and the Team fighting back on a real tough Battle.
He has his Job earned. But no matter what, we still suck at PK and with the Amount of Penaltys we take we better find an Answer. With yesterday game we are Up now by 59% PK. What means nothing else then every 2nd PP we get a Goal against.

And to go with @scholl. The current best Panther win Face off in PO, Barkov around 50%,, Reinhardt around 47%, Lundell around 45%, Eric Staal around 41%, Benett around 32% and White with only 25 faceoff taken around 50%.
So 2 of our Player win every second Faceoff, 2nd Line center every 3rd, White win every 2nd when Center is dropped out.
As Maurice said, this Team learned what is Hard.

PP by 25% is okay we was worse and also better.
But as a short or less unwritten rule, everything under 75% in PK is pretty bad and we are far far away from that.

So this Team has to as best score first or 2 as best cause PK will cost you Goals.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
20E3E2C7-8749-49AA-8C18-DED2EB7A7AB2.jpeg

Reactions: Boothinator

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
Dear Paul Maurice,

I have said some bad things about you. I still don't think you're a very good coach, and I don't like you very much. But, with that said, thank you for doing what you're doing.

All the best,

Me

PS - thank you for not drinking and driving.
Independent of hockey I think his character is phenomenal. Candid, friendly, ill tempered when justified. He is a player’s friend.

If he wins a Stanley Cup I’ll rethink about everything I’ve ever said about his shoot from anywhere mentality being horrid. Until then, I adopt @Chaos2k7’s mentality.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Here's the thing: Maurice deserves full credit for outcoaching Montgomery in round one and getting the Panthers to a spot where we can be proud of the team's playoff performance. I think this playoffs is of incalculably high value for core players like Tkachuk, Barkov, Luostarinen, Bennett, Forsling, Verhaeghe, etc. And I think Maurice is maximizing that value with his approach to it.

So, Paul Maurice gets full props from me on that. I think his handling of the goaltending situation down the stretch and into the playoffs has been brilliant.

But while we're swooning, I will also say this: the Panthers would have been golfing for the last week already if the Pittsburgh Penguins had not laid a goose egg against the NHL-worst Chicago Blackhawks. The Panthers made the playoffs by one point, and needed a ton of help to do it. Zito and Maurice need to sit down during the off-season and figure out why it took this team so long to get into fighting shape.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
Here's the thing: Maurice deserves full credit for outcoaching Montgomery in round one and getting the Panthers to a spot where we can be proud of the team's playoff performance. I think this playoffs is of incalculably high value for core players like Tkachuk, Barkov, Luostarinen, Bennett, Forsling, Verhaeghe, etc. And I think Maurice is maximizing that value with his approach to it.

So, Paul Maurice gets full props from me on that. I think his handling of the goaltending situation down the stretch and into the playoffs has been brilliant.

But while we're swooning, I will also say this: the Panthers would have been golfing for the last week already if the Pittsburgh Penguins had not laid a goose egg against the NHL-worst Chicago Blackhawks. The Panthers made the playoffs by one point, and needed a ton of help to do it. Zito and Maurice need to sit down during the off-season and figure out why it took this team so long to get into fighting shape.
Besides Barkov's court drama, game 1 to January the biggest red flag is goaltending.

They played at 100 point pace from January on but goaltending REALLY let the team down to start the season.

Then new coach, new system, guys out, guys got sick, theres a lot of truth to what Marchand said.

Regardless, Gavrikov, Bertuzzi in, maybe Benning in, another forward, Marc out, Duclair out, White out.

This team WILL be much better next year which is kind of exciting as we technically went further this year already just because of the style of play.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Besides Barkov's court drama, game 1 to January the biggest red flag is goaltending.

They played at 100 point pace from January on but goaltending REALLY let the team down to start the season.

Then new coach, new system, guys out, guys got sick, theres a lot of truth to what Marchand said.

Regardless, Gavrikov, Bertuzzi in, maybe Benning in, another forward, Marc out, Duclair out, White out.

This team WILL be much better next year which is kind of exciting as we technically went further this year already just because of the style of play.

Hey, that's ucanthanzalthetruth spiel!

• Haha
Reactions: letsgrowcactus

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Independent of hockey I think his character is phenomenal. Candid, friendly, ill tempered when justified. He is a player’s friend.

If he wins a Stanley Cup I’ll rethink about everything I’ve ever said about his shoot from anywhere mentality being horrid. Until then, I adopt @Chaos2k7’s mentality.

I think both can be true. I think if this was a video game, Maurice would be average with the on ice stuff, but the off ice intangibles would be where he's better.

Seems like a good dude, gets out of the way of the players, makes weird line up choices, but that shows he trusts the players he chooses. So I think he's one of those coaches that can let a team dictate their own success for good or bad. I don't see him as one who maybe elevates a team, but he provides the structure and systems and general guidance. It's probably why he's lasted so long, GMs want a coach that allows THEIR roster and vision.

In Winnipeg it's clear they have a locker room problem because of some of their players, Maurice isn't the guy to fix that. From everything I can tell, we've got a good room, so he just gets out of their way.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I think both can be true. I think if this was a video game, Maurice would be average with the on ice stuff, but the off ice intangibles would be where he's better.

Seems like a good dude, gets out of the way of the players, makes weird line up choices, but that shows he trusts the players he chooses. So I think he's one of those coaches that can let a team dictate their own success for good or bad. I don't see him as one who maybe elevates a team, but he provides the structure and systems and general guidance. It's probably why he's lasted so long, GMs want a coach that allows THEIR roster and vision.

In Winnipeg it's clear they have a locker room problem because of some of their players, Maurice isn't the guy to fix that. From everything I can tell, we've got a good room, so he just gets out of their way.

If you listen to some of his pressers (GR's Youtube channel has them https://www.youtube.com/@floridahockeynow/videos), he's been asked questions about how the players managed to come back down 3-1, the coaching, mentality, etc. He actually said in one of the interviews that there was a turning point in the season (I want to say his meltdown in Toronto) where the players learned to "manage" themselves and he has the full trust in the room to figure it out, which they did.

zeroG

Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA

right. we know the reasons why this team took so long to come around. don't happen to agree that goaltending was the biggest issue - i think the goaltending suffered because of poor team defense. but that's another thread. but agree with everything else.

thing is, like i said a couple of months ago, we knew the team was going to better next year (with maurice) even if they missed the playoffs this year. and missing the playoffs, while disappointing, wouldn't have been the end of the world and wouldn't have changed zito's plans.

so i asked @KW two months ago how they would amend their position when the team achieves some measure of success. i thought there was a good chance we'd make the playoffs but even if we didn't, i had complete confidence in maurice leading the team into the postseason next year and proving everyone wrong.

well, imo that moment has arrived sooner than i thought. this will be an interesting (and, for many, humbling) thread to revisit in a few years.

Reactions: Two4Fighting

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Sponsor
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
I believe Maurice deserves a pass this season, given that this team is in a transition faze. You can see that once everyone was healthy, and they bought into what he wants out of the team, they really started playing well. Throughout the season, he has molded the team into a team built for playoff games. And I think once Zito continues to improve the club, the team will only get better.
This team, with a few tweaks in the next couple of offseasons, will be a better team than last years team could ever have been.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
As a Jets fan, it's great to see Maurice achieving success in Florida. He was well liked in Winnipeg, although he was just past his best before date, after 8 years with the team. It would be great to see him lead the Panthers to the Stanley Cup, and finally lead a team to a Stanley Cup.

Reactions: Panteras and Ghoste

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad