The Paul Maurice Pitchfork Thread (MOD Warning Post #1)

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
right. we know the reasons why this team took so long to come around. don't happen to agree that goaltending was the biggest issue - i think the goaltending suffered because of poor team defense. but that's another thread. but agree with everything else.

thing is, like i said a couple of months ago, we knew the team was going to better next year (with maurice) even if they missed the playoffs this year. and missing the playoffs, while disappointing, wouldn't have been the end of the world and wouldn't have changed zito's plans.

so i asked @KW two months ago how they would amend their position when the team achieves some measure of success. i thought there was a good chance we'd make the playoffs but even if we didn't, i had complete confidence in maurice leading the team into the postseason next year and proving everyone wrong.

well, imo that moment has arrived sooner than i thought. this will be an interesting (and, for many, humbling) thread to revisit in a few years.
I’d rather be a humble (or humiliated) winner than a proud loser…

If Bob keeps up his play, if M Staal doesn’t go worse, if the pk is ok, if they don’t blow leads… etc etc… no worries at my end!

BeezKnees

Jun 4, 2010
Orlando, FL
Looking back at Stanley Cup history: Maurice and his Carolina team made a run all the way to the cup finals in 2002, only to run into:

Pre salary cap era Detroit.... team was absolutely stacked with Hall of Famers... Yzerman, Fedorov, Shanahan, Hull, Larionov, Robataille, Lidstrom, Chelios, Hasek. Coached by Scotty Bowman. Unreal. Think Maurice wants another crack at it?

Panteras

Stanley Cup Champs 2024
Sep 14, 2009
It’s only 3-0 who cares
Looking back at Stanley Cup history: Maurice and his Carolina team made a run all the way to the cup finals in 2002, only to run into:

Pre salary cap era Detroit.... team was absolutely stacked with Hall of Famers... Yzerman, Fedorov, Shanahan, Hull, Larionov, Robataille, Lidstrom, Chelios, Hasek. Coached by Scotty Bowman. Unreal. Think Maurice wants another crack at it?

Sounds just like the ultimate fate that awaited that 96 Panthers team, the reward to making the finals was an all star team. Maurice and the Panthers both want another crack at it, thankfully I don’t see any team left that’s a bunch of hall of famers. We’ll see. We’re definitely dreaming.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Literally every aspect of the game remains worse than last year. Expect goaltending and luck. Absolutely 0 adjustments anywhere. Not even a shakeup of lines.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
We were awful in the playoffs last year and got swept and this year won six in a row in the post season…
They weren’t aweful last year. They were miles better defensively. The results just weren’t there. They played Tampa far better than they r playing Toronto in literally every single metric. Results skew everything. And those results have a lot to do with luck and goaltending and certain players catching fire, etc. but they are generating next to nothing these playoffs and have been one of the worst teams in the entire playoffs in offensive chances and defensive chances given up. Make no mistake they aren’t playing that good and r getting a ton of luck and great goaltending

You won’t get an objective answer man… You should just have ignored it.
It’s very objective. The bias fans won’t admit it. But its reality. Still a lot more fun winning than not and it’s great. But there isn’t one thing u can point to that’s an improvement over last year that doesn’t involve luck/goaltending

Reactions: I am not exposed

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
They weren’t aweful last year. They were miles better defensively. The results just weren’t there. They played Tampa far better than they r playing Toronto in literally every single metric. Results skew everything. And those results have a lot to do with luck and goaltending and certain players catching fire, etc. but they are generating next to nothing these playoffs and have been one of the worst teams in the entire playoffs in offensive chances and defensive chances given up. Make no mistake they aren’t playing that good and r getting a ton of luck and great goaltending

It’s very objective. The bias fans won’t admit it. But its reality. Still a lot more fun winning than not and it’s great. But there isn’t one thing u can point to that’s an improvement over last year that doesn’t involve luck/goaltending

I didn’t write to you, you should have kept me out of it, and it is the only time I won’t ignore you, I promise…

You have a whole board calling out your non-sense for a whole year, and you’re still acting like you are Scotty Bowman and us only casual bias fans. Just stop it. You’re talking about bias, you can’t make a single post around here not trashing Barkov, give me a break… Your opinion is supposed to have as much/less value as mine, we’re on the internet, and a FANS message board.

But nobody listen to you anymore because the only thing you really are is entilted. Cool for you.

As for the topic, we’re much better on the forecheck, much better on the cycle and sustaining offensive pressure, much better boxing out in front of our net… We are notably much much worse on breakouts, which we saw in prime-time last night. We didn’t get goaltending until the end of the year (and maybe a stretch in January), and with more luck we would have had a much better start of the season, results-wise !

By the way, like it or not, but sports (like a lot of other jobs) is a thing of results… The results this year seem to make the fan-base pretty happy, while we all know this year would be a pain just because of personnel changes. It took about three people calling you out in the game #7 thread against Bruins to make you realize we’re all here to enjoy ourselves…

After reading my post, you can go back to kicking your cat in a corner… Don’t bother replying, I’ll ignore it ! Just like we should all do… And believe me, I hate saying that !

"Enjoy" (!?) yourself and the rest of this pathetic playoffs-showing ! ;)

Last edited:

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz

Come on man, you cannot be that ignorant to see with how much more tenacity and toughness they battle in the corners. How many mistakes has our forecheck created that we scored on? Last year we purely relied on transition game and got nothing done otherwise. Was last year's roster better than our current roster? Yes it was. But last year's roster played like sh*t. If only our last year's roster played like we play today, we would have had a real shot at the cup.

You cannot deny the input in playing style Matthew Tkatchuk has on this team's mentality.

austropanther

Jul 21, 2015
Bregenz
I didn’t write to you, you should have kept me out of it, and it is the only time I won’t ignore you, I promise…

You have a whole board calling your non-sense for a whole year, and you’re still acting like you are Scotty Bowman and us only casual bias fans. Just stop it. You’re talking about bias, you can’t make a single post around here not trashing Barkov, give me a break… Your opinion is supposed to have as much/less value as mine, we’re on the internet, and a FANS message board.

But nobody listen to you anymore because the only thing you really are is entilted. Cool for you.

As for the topic, we’re much better on the forecheck, much better on the cycle and sustaining offensive pressure, much better boxing out in front of our net… We are notably much much worse on breakouts, which we saw in prime-time last night. We didn’t get goaltending until the end of the year (and maybe a stretch in January), and with more luck we would have had a much better start of the season, results-wise !

By the way, like it or not, but sports (like a lot of other jobs) is a thing of results… The results this year seem to make the fan-base pretty happy, while we all know this year would be a pain just because of personnel changes. It took about three people calling you out in the game #7 thread against Bruins to make you realize we’re all here to enjoy ourselves…

After reading my post, you can go back to kicking your cat in a corner… Don’t bother replying, I’ll ignore it ! Just like we should all do… And believe me, I hate saying that !

"Enjoy" (!?) yourself and the rest of this pathetic playoffs-showing ! ;)
And we just beat one of the best teams this league has ever seen in 7 games!!! But no no no, we still suck

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
And we just beat one of the best teams this league has ever seen in 7 games!!! But no no no, we still suck

I guess last year we only missed luck, because if I recall correctly Bob was pretty great last playoffs too… So yeaaaah, our great Presidents team of last year only missed luck to achieve as "good" results as this year, what a shame we couldn’t find our lucky-charm, since this and goaltending are the only thing we got going this year…

:)

Reactions: austropanther

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Here’s showing how truly aweful staal is at every aspect of hockey. Yet maurice will not take him off the ice. This is straight loony bin material from maurice
746F1C03-13A7-4846-BDE6-A692F29E649D.png

I guess last year we only missed luck, because if I recall correctly Bob was pretty great last playoffs too… So yeaaaah, our great Presidents team of last year only missed luck to achieve as "good" results as this year, what a shame we couldn’t find our lucky-charm, since this and goaltending are the only thing we got going this year…

:)
Bob was definitely decent last year but the team gave up absolutely nothing chance wise. They r one of the worst teams in all of playoffs this year with chances against. They give up a pile.

Yes we did. It was awesome. But Boston got brutal goaltending. And we got great goaltending the last few games. That’s what happens I’m small samples. Which is why playoffs is largely kick and getting hot at the right time.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Come on man, you cannot be that ignorant to see with how much more tenacity and toughness they battle in the corners. How many mistakes has our forecheck created that we scored on? Last year we purely relied on transition game and got nothing done otherwise. Was last year's roster better than our current roster? Yes it was. But last year's roster played like sh*t. If only our last year's roster played like we play today, we would have had a real shot at the cup.

You cannot deny the input in playing style Matthew Tkatchuk has on this team's mentality.
Sweet they battle harder. That isn’t leading to better defense or better generation of chances or better puck posession. Winning skews everything.

Tampa made a ton Of mistakes last year with turnovers. Difference is vasi bailed them out. And we didn’t finish anything. They generated more last year and gave up less. Hard to see because the results weren’t there and most people can’t seperate the two. But it’s reality

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
Here’s showing how truly aweful staal is at every aspect of hockey. Yet maurice will not take him off the ice. This is straight loony bin material from maurice
View attachment 706668
While it’s Maurice’s fault they’re there in the first place, do you really think he can afford to take Marc Staal out of the lineup at this point? I don’t think now is the time to start giving Carlsson and/or Fitzgerald a look. Especially becuase the Staals are bound at the hip, and whatever semi respectable play we get out of Eric could be jeopardized by scratching his brother. Though tbh of all of the divey shitty things I think about Eric, I don’t think he would be a problem with that.

Reactions: Boothinator

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
1683834199283.png

1683834216358.png

1683834273411.png

1683834288859.png

We got the same goaltending last playoffs so that isnt the difference. In fact, we got slightly better goaltending last year as a whole.

Goal scoring actually up, goals against actually down

The biggest difference? Actually special teams. Yes PK is worse but look at the PP%. I mean f***ing look at it actually? 25.9 to 3.2 percent? How can this be ignored. If you are going to call that luck you are lying to yourself and to not give PoMo ANY credit for it is "laughable."

Keep in mind that we started the playoffs with Ekblad out there on the PP1 unit and adjustments were actually made by changing out Ekblad for Bennett and putting Barkov on the point.

That was a whole lot more than what Brunette did rolling out the same IMPOTENT power play every game.

barkovcanfinnish

Stanley Cup Champs 2024
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
View attachment 706789

View attachment 706790

View attachment 706791

View attachment 706792

We got the same goaltending last playoffs so that isnt the difference. In fact, we got slightly better goaltending last year as a whole.

The biggest difference? Actually special teams. Yes PK is worse but look at the PP%. I mean f***ing look at it actually? 25.9 to 3.2 percent? How can this be ignored. If you are going to call that luck you are lying to yourself and to not give PoMo ANY credit for it is "laughable."

Keep in mind that we started the playoffs with Ekblad out there on the PP1 unit and adjustments were actually made by changing out Ekblad for Bennett and putting Barkov on the point.

That was a whole lot more than what Brunette did rolling out the same IMPOTENT power play every game.
Our powerplay being respectable is a major difference. If we improved our pk, or maybe just stopped taking actual braindead penalties I think we’d be in amazing shape

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
View attachment 706789

View attachment 706790

View attachment 706791

View attachment 706792

You’re ignoring everything and looking strictly at results. The chances they have given up this year are far and away worse this year thus making the goaltending a pile better. The pp is actually generating way less this year but the puck is going in because luck/ Poor goaltending / better finishing. Again those are results not process. So u missed the mark by a mile

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
It’s funny how with Barkov, results are all that matters, but with the team, results are all that don’t matter.

Weird logic if you ask me. But I’m not a hockey genius.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
You’re ignoring everything and looking strictly at results. The chances they have given up this year are far and away worse this year thus making the goaltending a pile better. The pp is actually generating way less this year but the puck is going in because luck/ Poor goaltending / better finishing. Again those are results not process. So u missed the mark by a mile
Lmfao

What the hell do you think goals saves above expected is?

It literally factors in quality of chance.

Bob last playoffs. 6.7. This playoffs? 6.7

Literally the same f***ing goaltending I missed by a mile? Your not even in the right hemisphere.

Same with the chances generated by the PP this year vs last

f***ing LOL

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
If Bob has another similar performance tomorrow

Screenshot_20230511_173406_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230511_173442_Chrome.jpg

He damn well may have identical performances through 10 lol......

I swear it's the tone and arrogance that just makes it spectacularly "laughable"

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Wouldn't have happened if PoMo didn't put Montour in a position to succeed all year.

But let's ignore that too right? Lol
If Bob has another similar performance tomorrow

View attachment 706910

View attachment 706911

He damn well may have identical performances through 10 lol......

I swear it's the tone and arrogance that just makes it spectacularly "laughable"
Oh look better this year. .8-.67 pretty big difference. But also like I said he was good
Last year too but even better this year. Now also like I said do goalies vs Vasilevski last year and see where the biggest difference is. I posted in real time how a pile of our goals this year woukd never have went in vs vasi cause he simply wasn’t letting those in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad