The Paul Maurice Pitchfork Thread (MOD Warning Post #1)

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
It’s a tough situation for management. On one hand, it’s not working out with Maurice. On the other, the organization hires a new coach seemingly every year - that has to be really annoying for the players.

Reactions: 16Skippy

IceManCat

#StanleyCupChampions2024🏆
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Marc Crawford wants to coach again. I don't think he would be a bad choice. Known for running offensive styled teams. Has a lot of experience. Recently coached superstar Auston Mathews in Switzerland. If it matters to anyone, he has pretty close connections to Coach Q. Coach Q was an assistant to Crawford before he became a head coach himself (95), and I believe Crawford later on became an assistant to Coach Q in Chicago.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Anyone but Bruno, btw.
Bruno loses 4-1 or 4-2 to Tampa after he makes a change to the PP and they score a couple… and we’d have no Maurice.

Bruno f***ed up and good in the playoffs, that’s why he’s gone, NO other reason.

Reactions: Vilam

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I like the Captain Winters/Band of Brothers reference. However, being a retired Field Artillery Officer in the Army I have to correct you. The Howitzers at Brecourt Manor would have been firing high explosive point detonating shells onto the beach. Not Flak shells. Flak is a term used for exploding anti-aircraft artillery rounds for shooting at planes above. The guns at Brecourt were not 88s. 88 Flak guns were air defense artillery cannon. Flugabwerhkanone also know as Flak.🍻
Did they say they were 88s on Band of Brothers? I can’t remember.

-ghoste

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Marc Crawford wants to coach again. I don't think he would be a bad choice. Known for running offensive styled teams. Has a lot of experience. Recently coached superstar Auston Mathews in Switzerland. If it matters to anyone, he has pretty close connections to Coach Q. Coach Q was an assistant to Crawford before he became a head coach himself (95), and I believe Crawford later on became an assistant to Coach Q in Chicago.
Just let Q back in. I admit I didn’t follow the whole story but I know Q didn’t molest that player. Did he tell that player to keep his mouth shut or did he just turn a blind eye?

-ghoste

Reactions: Vilam and IceManCat

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It’s a tough situation for management. On one hand, it’s not working out with Maurice. On the other, the organization hires a new coach seemingly every year - that has to be really annoying for the players.

I would say losing is as well and they are doing a lot of it right now.

Maurice belongs to the past.
Showed it in Winnipeg, is showing it in Florida

+ Under Maurice yets had the most toxic locker room in the league.
Just realize the mistake and be done with it

Reactions: I am not exposed

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
I mean the season is over, there's absolutely no point firing him now. The concern is that he won't be fired in the off-season. I really believe he'll be back next year.

It's such a tough position because I can't stand him back next year but I can't stand losing and giving Montreal an even better pick.
that's why I fire now.. it's ok.. nice guy. it's just not working. we were the presidents. cup team. this much of a fall is unacceptable

Reactions: Vilam

Great8Cam

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2008
Did they say they were 88s on Band of Brothers? I can’t remember.

-ghoste
No. 88s were used as anti-tank guns starting in Africa when the Germans realized the high muzzle velocity was extremely effective in direct firing mode Against armor. Band of Brothers did say that they were 105s. A 105 round has a 30 meter kill radius and a 155 round has an 50 meter kill radius. The blast will injure beyond those par. An American hand Grendel has a 5 meter for comparison.

Both 105 and 155 are most often used in indirect fire missions, but they can go into direct fire when being attacked in front.

Reactions: Ghoste

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
I’m still stuck with this point. How? If we agree Huberdeau and Tkachuck were lateral, and the loss of Weegar was not replaced… then what? Marchment?
Removal of Marchment and Weegar should not make a lottery team out of the best team in the league. It should just make them no longer the best team in the league.
Loss of Duclair on the first line, we’ll say lateral move but different play styles for Huberdeau/tkachuk on the second, also no Tippett/giroux so both of Bennett’s wingers are different, Marchment from the 3rd line, luostarinen and Hornqvist on the 4th to Eric staal and cousins.

4 of the top-9 are different and with Hornqvist out, half of the offense as a whole is different, not as good or deep. Then we combine the fact Barkov and Ekblad are struggling compared to their usual level of play, a different coaching style, and no replacement for Weegar instead we have Marc staal playing top-4 minutes. Goalies being their usual self. It’s a bit of a mess.

I’m hoping things will look a little better once Duclair is added back into the top-6 and maybe a change or two on D at the deadline (nothing major). Forsling-Montour on the 1st, Mahura-Ekblad on the 2nd, drop Marc to being the 7th D and either add a bottom pairing guy to play with Gudas or trade Gudas for draft capital and reshape the bottom pairing (maybe with Fitzgerald if he can hack it), just push Marc down or trade him if possible.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Loss of Duclair on the first line, we’ll say lateral move but different play styles for Huberdeau/tkachuk on the second, also no Tippett/giroux so both of Bennett’s wingers are different, Marchment from the 3rd line, luostarinen and Hornqvist on the 4th to Eric staal and cousins.

4 of the top-9 are different and with Hornqvist out, half of the offense as a whole is different, not as good or deep. Then we combine the fact Barkov and Ekblad are struggling compared to their usual level of play, a different coaching style, and no replacement for Weegar instead we have Marc staal playing top-4 minutes. Goalies being their usual self. It’s a bit of a mess.

I’m hoping things will look a little better once Duclair is added back into the top-6 and maybe a change or two on D at the deadline (nothing major). Forsling-Montour on the 1st, Mahura-Ekblad on the 2nd, drop Marc to being the 7th D and either add a bottom pairing guy to play with Gudas or trade Gudas for draft capital and reshape the bottom pairing (maybe with Fitzgerald if he can hack it), just push Marc down or trade him if possible.
We all know Maurice ain’t pushing down either Staal. He wants to kiss both of them.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC

The same way last year’s team was good way before Ekblad returned from injury and way before we acquired any TDL players, this year’s team was already bad before Hornqvist was out. But I’m not sure what the point of making it sound so complex is. We can make a shortlist of notable changes to the personnel list provided to the coach, after lateral considerations:
- Weegar for M. Staal
- Marchment for Cousins/White
- Tippett for Cousins/White

Those are definitely really big negative switches on all three. They’re not enough to move a first place team into a last place team.

You can say Ekblad regressed, Barkov has outside issues, Lundell is missing confidence, Hornqvist aged, Forsling skipped a step, Reinhart is hitting posts, Bennett is getting used to new linemates, Bobrovsky is back to being trash, etc etc and there’s this amazing perfect storm that means they now suck, but I’m not buying all these random coincidences.

Bobrovsky was in fact trash last year, too. He’s always been trash with us. He was successful last year because his team in front of him was an offensive threat that suppressed the other team using said offense. It’s a lot easier to play goalie when your opponent is constantly on their heels and playing from behind. I know I’m not the only one who, last year, was constantly tense with a 3 goal lead wanting more knowing Bob is a sieve.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
Bruno loses 4-1 or 4-2 to Tampa after he makes a change to the PP and they score a couple… and we’d have no Maurice.

Bruno f***ed up and good in the playoffs, that’s why he’s gone, NO other reason.
yep we wanted change after that.. sure wasn't this. why didn't we try on Cassidy?

Vilam

#Catlantic
Feb 8, 2012
San Francisco
Anyone but Bruno, btw.

You keep posting this, but Bruno's atrocious "coaching" in the playoffs that removed any possibility of him being offered the job remains the same.

How can you be so smug while being so wrong?

PoMo sucks BTW, but that changes nothing about Bruno rightfully being shown the door.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Just let Q back in. I admit I didn’t follow the whole story but I know Q didn’t molest that player. Did he tell that player to keep his mouth shut or did he just turn a blind eye?

-ghoste

I recommend reading the entire report that was published when this whole thing blew up. The Blackhawks hired independent investigators, and although of course their primary objective was to clear ownership of wrongdoing, they nonetheless did a pretty thorough job. I suspect 'Player A' was quite surprised to find that a certain female witness was tracked down and interviewed at length.

If you want blow by blow details, I posted the cliff's notes in a couple of the old threads that I can't be bothered to dig up, but as pertains specifically to one Joel Quenneville, he was never informed that a sexual assault took place. only that something inappropriate happened between a player and an assistant coach. The team president then told everyone present that he would handle the situation and subsequently did not handle a damn thing.

I don't think it's appropriate to go more into it in this thread, but my personal opinion is that our former head coach shouldn't have been barred from the sport for life. In fact, I think he got f***ing hosed.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
You keep posting this, but Bruno's atrocious "coaching" in the playoffs that removed any possibility of him being offered the job remains the same.

PoMo sucks BTW, but that changes nothing about Bruno rightfully being shown the door.
in the past decade, Maurice has the same playoff game winning percentage as Brunette.

Brunette had one chance and won 50% of his series. Maurice had 10 chances and win. He won 40% of his series.

Say whatever the heck you want about Brunette’s performance. If you had two choices and one of them was a one or two year renewal of Brunette and the other was the monstrous commitment Florida made to a known loser, your choice is obvious.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014

I find it hilarious when people get exactly what they ask for, complain about it, then double down on previous opinions that led to them getting what they want.

I am enjoying this year for what it is.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton

Ya imagine finally getting a team past the first round for the first time in 25 years. Get that guy outta here. No chance he could learn from it like every other good coach in nhl history. Absolutely nonsensical 🤣

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
The same way last year’s team was good way before Ekblad returned from injury and way before we acquired any TDL players, this year’s team was already bad before Hornqvist was out. But I’m not sure what the point of making it sound so complex is. We can make a shortlist of notable changes to the personnel list provided to the coach, after lateral considerations:
- Weegar for M. Staal
- Marchment for Cousins/White
- Tippett for Cousins/White

Those are definitely really big negative switches on all three. They’re not enough to move a first place team into a last place team.

You can say Ekblad regressed, Barkov has outside issues, Lundell is missing confidence, Hornqvist aged, Forsling skipped a step, Reinhart is hitting posts, Bennett is getting used to new linemates, Bobrovsky is back to being trash, etc etc and there’s this amazing perfect storm that means they now suck, but I’m not buying all these random coincidences.

Bobrovsky was in fact trash last year, too. He’s always been trash with us. He was successful last year because his team in front of him was an offensive threat that suppressed the other team using said offense. It’s a lot easier to play goalie when your opponent is constantly on their heels and playing from behind. I know I’m not the only one who, last year, was constantly tense with a 3 goal lead wanting more knowing Bob is a sieve.
Out:
Huberdeau
Duclair
Marchment
Tippett/Giroux
Hornqvist

In:
Tkachuk
White
Cousins
E. Staal
Smith

Despite tkachuk’s contributions, that seems like a fairly large difference on offense and Marc staal for Weegar is a pretty big difference in our top-4 D.

Half the offense are 4th line quality: smith, staal, Lomberg, cousins, white (and Lundell until he wakes up). We had 3 killer lines last year and a pretty damn good 4th too. We have like 1.5 good lines right now

I don’t care for Maurice, but I also don’t think he should be getting 95% of the blame. Adin hill had a 0.950 save % to bob’s like 0.906, the breakaways, barkov and Ekblad, the guys have to take responsibility too

Reactions: pantherbot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad