The "Panic about Matt Duchene" thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BB1133

Apr 4, 2010
EJ didn't? That's news to me. Considering he is a defenseman he had an excellent start I think, but then again I am not arguing Duchene should or shouldn't be traded based on his draft position.

All the resources invested in him are meaningless if he cannot take full advantage of them. So, again, no, his draft position does not have anything to do with his talent evaluation.

Getting drafted #3 overall means you don't give up on him in year 3 after he's had two very good seasons to start his career. It's becoming puzzling how you can't grasp the connection between potential and patience/commitment. Too abstract for you?

Back to the drawing board on what? There are well-argued reasons as to why he may not realize his full potential; they aren't nonexistent simply because you are ignorant of them.

What well-argued reasons? I've yet to see them.

Oh yur talking about his season riddled with injuries? Positional experimentation? Revolving linemates?

Hmmm how did I miss those. Yep we should start thinking about trading this guy. Let me call Sherman and pray to the hockey gods he doesn't burst out laughing and hang up on me.

Heebs21*

If we can get a top pairing Dman for Duchene we need to do it. Duchene is not a fit on this team. He is not a 3rd line center.

Heebs21*

Getting drafted #3 overall means you don't give up on him in year 3 after he's had two very good seasons to start his career. It's becoming puzzling how you can't grasp the connection between potential and patience/commitment. Too abstract for you?

Oh yur talking about his season riddled with injuries? Positional experimentation? Revolving linemates?

Hmmm how did I miss those. Yep we should start thinking about trading this guy. Let me call Sherman and pray to the hockey gods he doesn't burst out laughing and hang up on me.

Keep him and play him on the 3rd line?

NeilYoung

May 7, 2009
If we can get a top pairing Dman for Duchene we need to do it. Duchene is not a fit on this team. He is not a 3rd line center.

The Caps need a center... I'd give any d-man except Alzner and give your first round pick back

NHL33*

Getting drafted #3 overall means you don't give up on him in year 3 after he's had two very good seasons to start his career.
Being drafted 3rd overall means that you think highly of the player at that point in time. That can change and one shouldn't rely simply on draft position in order to evaluate next steps on how to proceed with the player in question. It is not complicated to understand.

It shows.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Ohhhh this again...:facepalm:

Hey, guess what? Sidney Crosby is currently playing on Pittsburgh's 3rd line! He's not a 3rd line center. TRADE HIM. :rant:

Quit thinking in terms of EA Sports. Not every team has to be built the same exact way. Duchene is not the team's 3rd line center. And I got news for you: Ryan O'Reilly isn't necessarily the team's top line center, at least not in the ridiculously rigid way you keep thinking.

BB1133

Apr 4, 2010
Being drafted 3rd overall means that you think highly of the player at that point in time. That can change and one shouldn't rely simply on draft position in order to evaluate next steps on how to proceed with the player in question. It is not complicated to understand.

Draft position ensures that a team doesn't give up on him prematurely...especially after two great seasons to kick things off....which is essentially what is happening in this topic.

If Duchene was drafted 199th overall we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

BB1133

Apr 4, 2010
Quit thinking in terms of EA Sports. Not every team has to be built the same exact way. Duchene is not the team's 3rd line center. And I got news for you: Ryan O'Reilly isn't necessarily the team's top line center, at least not in the ridiculously rigid way you keep thinking.

Couldn't agree more. Who knows how the lines will shake out in the end, but it's unlikely that O'Reilly is a 1st line center a year or two from now. He's much better suited on the 2nd or 3rd line. I'm thinking Jordan Staal territory.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Couldn't agree more. Who knows how the lines will shake out in the end, but it's unlikely that O'Reilly is a 1st line center a year or two from now. He's much better suited on the 2nd or 3rd line. I'm thinking Jordan Staal territory.

In the end, if the Avs manage to roll four lines, it doesn't really matter which line is 1st or 3rd or whatever.

Right now the Avalanche have the luxury of a very effective shutdown line that can score and the best 4th line center they have ever had. Beyond that I don't think it'll take any major reworking of the "top 6" to make them every bit as effective as the O'Reilly line has been. A fully healthy Duchene with better linemates will help toward that endeavor immeasurably. I can promise this "Heebs" guy who keeps harping about "3rd line centers" that Duchene will most certainly not be our third line center next season if he re-finds his game. And I am confident he will.

Heebs21*

In the end, if the Avs manage to roll four lines, it doesn't really matter which line is 1st or 3rd or whatever.

Right now the Avalanche have the luxury of a very effective shutdown line that can score and the best 4th line center they have ever had. Beyond that I don't think it'll take any major reworking of the "top 6" to make them every bit as effective as the O'Reilly line has been. A fully healthy Duchene with better linemates will help toward that endeavor immeasurably. I can promise this "Heebs" guy who keeps harping about "3rd line centers" that Duchene will most certainly not be our third line center next season if he re-finds his game. And I am confident he will.

Well, what was I thinking. As long as you are confident, that is all that counts.

Maybe you can tell Duchene to not turn the puck over every time he gets it. Or not to be our softest forward down low. Linemates?? It wont matter who plays with him because he doesn't pass it to them anyways.

Spin-arama in the corner. Turnover. Benched.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Well, what was I thinking. As long as you are confident, that is all that counts.

Maybe you can tell Duchene to not turn the puck over every time he gets it. Or not to be our softest forward down low. Linemates?? It wont matter who plays with him because he doesn't pass it to them anyways.

Spin-arama in the corner. Turnover. Benched.

And your replies are as one-dimensional as your thinking. If you think a kid who just turned 21 this season and started his NHL career with 50- and 79-point seasons is a one-trick pony who needs to be shipped out of town because he's had a bad, injury-ridden season, by all means, go ahead. Can't wait to see what you'll be saying about Gabriel Landeskog when he hits a slump.

Steve Varmalov

And Then....
Dec 11, 2007
Boulder
i'm kind of scared about Duchene now, don't think we should trade him but he haven't played well this whole season. I'm not talking only about points, I'm talking about heart. Just doesn't look like his heart is in the game right now. I know he have been hurt a lot of this season but the shoulder and knee are a "hell of a long way from the heart".

BB1133

Apr 4, 2010
A letdown was bound to happen. This is a young team that hasn't learned how to win yet. Personally I still consider this season a great success when you consider the age/salary of the club, the development of the youth, and where we were a year ago.

A good learning experience all the way around.

When is the draft? :laugh:

NeilYoung

May 7, 2009
I'd actually really like Alzner...though I doubt the Caps would trade him. I think Alzner would really give EJ a chance to take offensive chances while also providing 20+ minutes of guaranteed solid hockey.

Yeah that's pretty much why the Caps need him he just makes life easy for everyone. Allows all the Caps offensive guys to run wild. Without him the next best defensive d man is Roman freakin Hamrlik.

Duchene probably has a ton more value in him though

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Yeah that's pretty much why the Caps need him he just makes life easy for everyone. Allows all the Caps offensive guys to run wild. Without him the next best defensive d man is Roman freakin Hamrlik.

Duchene probably has a ton more value in him though

I'm willing to throw in Shane O'Brien...he's been valuable to the Avalanche (according to NHL.com) :sarcasm:

Totally understand the appeal of a Alzner. I knew he would be a keeper when LA selected Hickey over him, allowing him to drop to the Caps. If you could change McPhee's opinion...I would totally drive Duchene to the airport.

jake07

Sep 11, 2011
Quebec City
And your replies are as one-dimensional as your thinking. If you think a kid who just turned 21 this season and started his NHL career with 50- and 79-point seasons is a one-trick pony who needs to be shipped out of town because he's had a bad, injury-ridden season, by all means, go ahead. Can't wait to see what you'll be saying about Gabriel Landeskog when he hits a slump.

at least Landeskog play Physical and with heart

NeilYoung

May 7, 2009
I'm willing to throw in Shane O'Brien...he's been valuable to the Avalanche (according to NHL.com) :sarcasm:

Totally understand the appeal of a Alzner. I knew he would be a keeper when LA selected Hickey over him, allowing him to drop to the Caps. If you could change McPhee's opinion...I would totally drive Duchene to the airport.

I still smile when I think of La making the Hickey pick.

Realistically the Avs would probably just try and sign Suter before trading Duchene away for a worse version of Suter

jaems

Apr 16, 2006

I'm pretty sure Matt cares he probably just doesn't know how to work out of this funk. He's not as physical as Landeskog but we all knew that when he was drafted.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Duchene's got plenty of heart, this isn't Wojtek Wolski we're talking about. It's a fine line between no heart and a complete loss of confidence.

And it's a bit unfair to compare Lando's physical game with Duchene's. We knew from the start Duchene was not exactly a physical player.

I'm not trying to make all these excuses for the kid...he's got to up his game next year. He's bears some, but not all responsibility for his poor season thus far. However, nothing from what I've seen as a fan indicates this kid lacks a work ethic or character. I think he'll turn it around...but we'll see.

Stories

Science!
Sep 10, 2006
Los Angeles, CA
After watching last night, Duchene absolutely is hurt. He's not mobile like he was. He shies away from hits. Something is physically wrong with him. He must have returned too early from that ankle injury.

No other way to explain it.

benzino

Mar 1, 2012
Estocolmo
After watching last night, Duchene absolutely is hurt. He's not mobile like he was. He shies away from hits. Something is physically wrong with him. He must have returned too early from that ankle injury.

No other way to explain it.

Yes he returned too early from his injury, he said in a interview with Mike Haynes on Altitude after his recent comeback that he is playing hurt because he wants to play hockey and is sick of being on the sidelines. Duchene needs a longer rest just like O'Reilly and Johnson that also got the odd knock here and there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad