The Out of Town Thread part LXIX - All Talk From Around the League Here ‎

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Ugh.

Well, I'll give him props for being open about it. But that's not something you want to hear from a first overall pick who is not setting the world on fire with the rest of his skills. Reminded me of Sergei Samsonov.

I would agree with him on the "hitting" part. But geez...you don't want to skate all the time?

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Yakupov will not play tonight. "I really liked our group of forwards last game. We'll stick with the same group." -Dallas Eakins

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Yakupov will not play tonight. "I really liked our group of forwards last game. We'll stick with the same group." -Dallas Eakins

This is brewing into something potentially serious. I'm so happy that some other team is providing the drama.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Only defense that can be offered is that he's Russian and something got lost in translation. I can't believe this is what he really meant. He's not a power forward and I think that's what he was trying to articulate.

But he said it and now he's never going to live it down.
True...he also needs to be told, very quickly that his coach will decide what type of game he needs to play...when and how...;)

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Only defense that can be offered is that he's Russian and something got lost in translation. I can't believe this is what he really meant. He's not a power forward and I think that's what he was trying to articulate.

But he said it and now he's never going to live it down.

Well, the whole quote is a little better than what Whitesnake quoted...

“I’m not going to change but maybe play better without the puck, or forecheck more, but I love playing with the puck. I really don’t like skating all the time, and forechecking, and hitting somebody every shift. I don’t think it’s my game.”

He does admit he needs to do better without the puck, just that he will always be more focused on his offensive game.

I also don't think he realizes just how this sounds because of his less than perfect English. It was a stupid thing to say and I do think there's reasons to be concerned, but the kid is not his own best representative when it comes to English interviews.

I have sympathy for him because while I don't really blame them for being strict with someone that young, Edmonton is probably the worst team to get that message across.

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
Woa you guys should calm down about Yakupov... You all act like you "always knew" Galchenyuk/Teravainen/Forsberg/Ds and their neighbours were better, LOL YEAH RIGHT
I cant wait til Yakupov proves you all wrong... I love Gally but Yakupov (is a winger) will always outproduce any guy on your lists, Subban has been healthy scratched doesnt mean he was a bad player and you guys were the first ones defending him
Yakupov will really shut the haters down, cant wait

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I think Ottawa is overrated. They rode a hot wave last year, everybody jumped on MacLean's back as this miracle worker. They're a good young team, but I don't put them ahead of us.

Last year, when all their injuries happened, they basically committed to playing ''desperate, in your face, we will battle for every inch, we will give you almost nothing and will be no fun to play against'' type hockey. That's in part why all their goalies were putting up HHOF numbers.

You can play that demanding type of hockey for 30 games or so and keep your team afloat...but no way they would have survived those injuries over a full 82 game season, IMO.

Now they have a lot more skill in their lineup...and it seems like they have abandoned what made them so tough to play against last year to play more of a skill game. And it's not working.

Throw in a huge leadership change with Alfie gone, Anderson regressing to the mean and not icing their best roster because their owner is a cheap ******* (Zibanejad sent down) and you get what they are now.

As for those Yakupov quotes. :help::help::help:

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
True...he also needs to be told, very quickly that his coach will decide what type of game he needs to play...when and how...;)

Lol hes a superstar not a plug
Do you think Subban needed the coach to teach him how to play his game? Or maybe Crosby or Ovechkin...

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Woa you guys should calm down about Yakupov... You all act like you "always knew" Galchenyuk/Teravainen/Forsberg/Ds and their neighbours were better, LOL YEAH RIGHT
I cant wait til Yakupov proves you all wrong... I love Gally but Yakupov (is a winger) will always outproduce any guy on your lists, Subban has been healthy scratched doesnt mean he was a bad player and you guys were the first ones defending him
Yakupov will really shut the haters down, cant wait

Some people have the "hater" word come way too easy. Who says he's a bum that will never be good?

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Lol hes a superstar not a plug
Do you think Subban needed the coach to teach him how to play his game? Or maybe Crosby or Ovechkin...

Are you actually comparing Yakupov's dominance to Crosby's or Ovechkin's in the year following their draft year? And Yes....Subban needs a pointer or 2 as to how playing the game in the NHL. So will Yakupov. So does Galchenyuk. So does the majority of FUTURE superstars in this league.

I have no doubt that Yakupov has the talent to be a star. Remain to be seen if and when he'll get the maturity to show it. Should come really soon, but clearly not yet. Or so the coach believes...I guess you could add him to the list of "haters"....

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
Some people have the "hater" word come way too easy. Who says he's a bum that will never be good?
Most are saying he didnt deserve to be picked 1st overall (read the pages before) and are bashing him just because he was scratched and not producing RIGHT NOW= haters.
Quote me in 2 years if he is not the best points producer of his draft class, I know Ill favorite this page to show you guys how you are wrong

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Most are saying he didnt deserve to be picked 1st overall (read the pages before) and are bashing him just because he was scratched and not producing RIGHT NOW= haters.
Quote me in 2 years if he is not the best points producer of his draft class, I know Ill favorite this page to show you guys how you are wrong

Most "experts" think that with a full season, Galchenyuk becomes #1 pick with his combination of talent and size. Others have in mind that we need to be careful with Russians. It is becoming a real problem as we're seeing with more and more Russians now. Honestly, I don't see what the problem is.

CaptainBenn

Sep 8, 2012
Are you actually comparing Yakupov's dominance to Crosby's or Ovechkin's in the year following their draft year? And Yes....Subban needs a pointer or 2 as to how playing the game in the NHL. So will Yakupov. So does Galchenyuk. So does the majority of FUTURE superstars in this league.

I have no doubt that Yakupov has the talent to be a star. Remain to be seen if and when he'll get the maturity to show it. Should come really soon, but clearly not yet. Or so the coach believes...I guess you could add him to the list of "haters"....
The coach never waited Yakupov to be healthy scratched to come out and say how he always knew 5 players should have been picked before him
Yakupov has played for 15+ years of hockey and his game got him to be drafted 1st overall, I dont think he will change it nor he should change it anytime soon

You dont change Subbans way of playing the game... You teach him how to improve, not 360 on how he always played

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
The coach never waited Yakupov to be healthy scratched to come out and say how he always knew 5 players should have been picked before him
Yakupov has played for 15+ years of hockey and his game got him to be drafted 1st overall, I dont think he will change it nor he should change it anytime soon

You dont change Subbans way of playing the game... You teach him how to improve, not 360 on how he always played

Not sure anybody, coach included, has asked him to become a 3rd defensive centerman. Pretty sure that it's ALL about improving his overall game....not changing him. If they REALLY are asking him to hit everybody in sight and finish his checks, then yes, I'm calling the Oilers pretty stupid bunch. But if they are really just asking him to apply a heavy forecheck due to his insane speed, and use that speed to do some backcheck as well.....I'm sorry but that's not changing his game. It's showing Mr. Yakupov what it takes to be a NHL'er. That waiting at the opposition blue line isn't good enough anymore and that this is not Junior hockey anymore.

As far as Subban is concerned, there are enough admissions from his own self, that he had to change his game a little as the NHL isn't Juniors. But the overall shape of his game will always be about being a great offensive-minded d-man. Thing is with the teaching he got, chances are he'll become, if not already, one of the best 2-way d-man in this whole league.

By the way....being sat out is not the end of the world. Subban was......Stamkos was....Thornton started on the 4th line....etc. etc. etc. If anything, it's a test for character. We'll see how handles it. Everybody knows he does have the talent to overcome it.

Last edited:

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Most of the people who said they preferred other players over him (Including me.) were saying it before the draft also.

I clearly stated many times that Forsberg was the first forward on my list, and I'm living with that statement right or wrong. Make a quick research and you'll see it for yourself. We have people who know about the game on this board and not only people talking out of their ***** (Albeit, theres more of that on here:laugh:)

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Woah, sitting for a 2nd game in a row? Ironic how Edmonton lacks depth that is big and defensively sound, and has too many small top 6 skilled forwards, yet just trade a BIG and DEFENSIVELY SOUND young 3rd line center; for another small skilled top 6.

They had everything that Perron can offer, and MORE, in 1st overall Yakupov. Now their bottom 6 is still useless, and they're not even playing their potentially 2nd most talented player.

Unlike Galchenyuk, who has a complete game and can play with just about any line, Yakupov has a skillset that requires a competent/skilled centerman and offensive starts. He's not a defensive player. He's not a two way player. He's a purely offensive talent and one of the better ones to enter the league of late.

Maybe he doesn't fit in Edmonton's top 6?

Last edited:

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Man, Subban's attitude is terrible! Can you believe he would go out in the media and say he won't hit every shift and skate because it's not his game?

...oh wait.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010

You teach Subban how to improve...but not Yakupov because he was the first overall pick? What's the difference between improve and change? Subban needed to change parts of his game too. He had a tendency to try to do it all himself and be caught up ice too often...you don't "improve" that...you change it.

You pick a player first overall because you figure he has the character to improve the parts of his game that need improving. No draft pick is ever perfect..they all need to learn things to succeed at the NHL level..even your apparent hero Yakupov.

Yakupov got away with his liabilities at junior level because he was way more skilled than most..that's not the case at the NHL level. He had holes in his game at junior level...he was not picked because he was a stud defensively. Funny though..he hit quite a bit in junior..now he sys he's not really into it. another Russian happy to cash his big pay cheque and play "his game".

He'll be in the KHL within a year if he doesn't change his attitude.

PunkinDrublic*

This was in 2012, his english is fine. The lost in translation excuse is BS.

dgeezus

Aug 26, 2011
Woah, sitting for a 2nd game in a row? Ironic how Edmonton lacks depth that is big and defensively sound, and has too many small top 6 skilled forwards, yet just trade a BIG and DEFENSIVELY SOUND young 3rd line center; for another small skilled top 6.

They had everything that Perron can offer, and MORE, in 1st overall Yakupov. Now their bottom 6 is still useless, and they're not even playing their potentially 2nd most talented player.

Unlike Galchenyuk, who has a complete game and can play with just about any line, Yakupov has a skillset that requires a competent/skilled centerman and offensive starts. He's not a defensive player. He's not a two way player. He's a purely offensive talent and one of the better ones to enter the league of late.

Maybe he doesn't fit with that boy band looking group in Edmonton's top 6?

Perron, 6' 198lbs is small? Paajarvi isn't even playing for the Blues right now. How can you say it's a bad trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad