The Out of Town Thread part LXIX - All Talk From Around the League Here ‎

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
It's been on record that what Timmins liked the most about Galchenuk was his attitude. Not the skillset or the size.

Of course he would say that, that doesn't mean much. Also, this was a timmins pick, not a bergevin pick.

Character is np substitute for skill. Galchenyuk's character would be totally irrelevant if he had the tools of a Desharnais.

PricePkPatch*

Oh man, you are ****ing clueless when you want, eh?

We ARE talking about the 3rd overall pick. Obviously, a ****ing plug isn't going to be considered. The point was to compare the top players against each other, and Galchenyuk's character clinched it.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I guess you now understand why Bergevin wants "character".

"Character" is what made them pick Galchenyuk over Yakupov. Timmins knew Chuckie would have a professional attitude. Be open to be shaped and molded into a responsible superstar. Be ready to earn his due.

Yakupov just wants to play the way he ****ing wants.

No longer sure I want Yakupov if he isn't ready to learn to play the proper game.

Huh? I believe the Oilers picked Yakupov over Galchenyuk. The Canadiens didn't have the choice of picking Yakupov. That said, I've felt since the draft that Galchenyuk could/would be the best player of the draft.

jedimyrmidon

Nov 30, 2012
Toronto
Of course he would say that, that doesn't mean much. Also, this was a timmins pick, not a bergevin pick.

Character is np substitute for skill. Galchenyuk's character would be totally irrelevant if he had the tools of a Desharnais.

I think he was writing under the assumption that Yakupov and Galchenyuk probably had comparable levels of skill, i.e., that Yakupov wasn't night and day ahead of Chucky.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I think he was writing under the assumption that Yakupov and Galchenyuk probably had comparable levels of skill, i.e., that Yakupov wasn't night and day ahead of Chucky.

But we don't know that. Timmins may well have thought Galchenyuk had better tools period. We have zero evidence for or against.

Heck, we do not even know that Timmins genuinely preferred Galchenyuk on Draft day.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Still would like to thank the Oilers for taking Yakupov first and leaving us with Galchenyuk. :)

Just thinking what life would have been like with Pierre McGuire as GM. Yakupov and Halak instead of Eller, Galchenyuk and Subban. He'd have set the franchise back further than Houle.

PricePkPatch*

Huh? I believe the Oilers picked Yakupov over Galchenyuk. The Canadiens didn't have the choice of picking Yakupov. That said, I've felt since the draft that Galchenyuk could/would be the best player of the draft.

Timmins and Bergevin went on record that Galchenyuk was their #1 overall pick, no matter what. It's just happy for them that the Oilers picked Yakupov.

I believe the #2 team's priority was Murray, then Galchenyuk. If the Oilers had picked Murray, we wouldn't have had Chuckie.

PricePkPatch*

But we don't know that. Timmins may well have thought Galchenyuk had better tools period. We have zero evidence for or against.

Heck, we do not even know that Timmins genuinely preferred Galchenyuk on Draft day.

That's a lie. Why do you talk about things you are ignorant?

Timmins have been on clear record as to what he preffered in Chuckie.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
That's a lie. Why do you talk about things you are ignorant?

Timmins have been on clear record as to what he preffered in Chuckie.

This is what he said after the pick. It is common for GMs to say they drafted the best player. Brian Burke said the same.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010

Timmins liked both of their skill sets..even had positive reports on Yakupov's work ethic off of the ice from Beaulieu, but there were some red flags on Yakupov, including his mediocre playoff. At the end of the day he preferred the bigger two-way center with more consistency, even if he was coming off the knee injury.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Timmins liked both of their skill sets..even had positive reports on Yakupov's work ethic off of the ice from Beaulieu, but there were some red flags on Yakupov, including his mediocre playoff. At the end of the day he preferred the bigger two-way center with more consistency, even if he was coming off the knee injury.
Can you elaborate on the red flags?

PPP is saying that Galchenyuk was primarily preferred due to "character"? Is tgat supported by what you have read and heard?

PricePkPatch*

An article discussing the pick

Canadiens’ director of amateur scouting Trevor Timmins and his staff followed up on the centre’s rehab throughout the season. Already sold on Galchenyuk’s high-end skill, Timmins and Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin were left thoroughly impressed with his character at the NHL Combine in May.

Whenever I hear Timmins or Bergevin mentionning the pick, the notion of "character" always comes back.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Can you elaborate on the red flags?

PPP is saying that Galchenyuk was primarily preferred due to "character"? Is tgat supported by what you have read and heard?

Playoff performance
Size
Russian winger
Late BD

Not usually the recipe for a first overall pick. Lots of NHL teams would never pick a Russian first overall, let alone a 5-10 Russian winger who disappeared in the OHL playoffs.

I am the only draft 'pundit' I am aware of that had Yakupov ranked third overall - I had Galchenyuk first and Teravainen second..... I got plenty of heat for it right after the draft...but would still pick both ahead of Yakupov today.

PricePkPatch*

Playoff performance
Size
Russian winger
Late BD

Not usually the recipe for a first overall pick. Lots of NHL teams would never pick a Russian first overall, let alone a 5-10 Russian winger who disappeared in the OHL playoffs.

I am the only draft 'pundit' I am aware of that had Yakupov ranked third overall - I had Galchenyuk first and Teravainen second..... I got plenty of heat for it right after the draft...but would still pick both ahead of Yakupov today.

Wasn't there a big, big rumor at the time (maybe started by you?) that Teravainen was also Timmins's 2nd choice, and the Habs tried very hard to get Chicago's pick to get him as well?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Playoff performance
Size
Russian winger
Late BD

Thanks.
Youll look good in 3 years if terevainen is rocking yge NHL.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Playoff performance
Size
Russian winger
Late BD

Teravainen second? You're a man living on the edge, Grant McCagg. I liked Teravianen a lot but I was thinking more around 7th or 8th at the time.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Wasn't there a big, big rumor at the time (maybe started by you?) that Teravainen was also Timmins's 2nd choice, and the Habs tried very hard to get Chicago's pick to get him as well?

LOL! Why would I start that rumour? Some folks tried to read between lines. Figured since I liked Teravainen so much that the Habs must as well since I help them with some scouting.

Trevor is very good at not showing his hand, even if we're often on the same page.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
To be honest, I'm not sure why there's even a discussion. M.Rielly was the consensus #1 pick. Burke said.

PricePkPatch*

Hey, I didn't meant to imply that you had an agenda, or anything. Sorry if it came off that way.

It's just that, if you were commenting on these boards 2 years ago, maybe you were arguing in favor/hypothetising and people based a rumor on that?

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Teravainen second? You're a man living on the edge, Grant McCagg. I liked Teravianen a lot but I was thinking more around 7th or 8th at the time.

Oh - well as we know what you think is the gospel..you are 'draft" after all. ;)

Why not? Taller than Yakupov, a center...not Russian, just as skilled, much better use of teammates. Ask Jarmo Kekalainen what he thinks of Teravainen some time...thinks he'll be pretty special. Still like him long term over Rielly, Reinhart, Pouliot, Koekkoek, Grigorenko, Ceci et al.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Oh - well as we know what you think is the gospel..you are 'draft" after all. ;)

Why not? Taller than Yakupov, a center...not Russian, just as skilled, much better use of teammates. Ask Jarmo Kekalainen what he thinks of Teravainen some time...thinks he'll be pretty special. Still like him long term over Reilly, Reinhart, Pouliot, Koekkoek, Grigorenko, Ceci et al.

The name had more to do with beer at the time..... ;)

I guess those are all pretty valuable traits and reasons to take him over Yakupov, I'll make sure to ask Jarmo when I get the chance though! :laugh:

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Yakupov on being benched - -

“I’m going to play my game,” he said. “I’m not going to change but maybe play better without the puck, or forecheck more, but I love playing with the puck. I really don’t like skating all the time, and forechecking, and hitting somebody every shift. I don’t think it’s my game.”

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/spor...ov+fumes+under+coach+rules/9033031/story.html

the urge to go to the oilers board and vigorously rub this quote in every subban hating, "locker-room cancer" quoting dumbfu** in there is strong. if it wasn't for my best friend being an oilers fan, i'd wish far more failure to this fanbase :rant:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad