The Out of Town Thread part LXIX - All Talk From Around the League Here ‎

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Bingo. Yea..Eller is good....but Gauthier flubbed that deal IMO. He could have handled it better and gotten more.

That's a BS statement. Unless you were an NHL GM at the time, you're talking out your ass.

As much as Halak had a great run that year, I'm sure most hockey people knew he wasn't the next Brodeur or Roy. How many goalies have been traded for more than what we got for Halak the last 20-25 years? I'm sure it's a pretty short list.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
That's a BS statement. Unless you were an NHL GM at the time, you're talking out your ass.

As much as Halak had a great run that year, I'm sure most hockey people knew he wasn't the next Brodeur or Roy. How many goalies have been traded for more than what we got for Halak the last 20-25 years? I'm sure it's a pretty short list.

I think the point is that Price had the higher trade value. Trading for Eller was a good move. But did we trade the right goalie? That remains to be seen.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I think the point is that Price had the higher trade value. Trading for Eller was a good move. But did we trade the right goalie? That remains to be seen.

Price has had his ups and downs in his career, but I still think he will have a better career than Halak. Halak is a solid goalie but not a guy that will play 60-65 games a year for a cup contender, he can't carry that type of load.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
For thirty games a season, maybe. Halak still isn't a number one.

Now go cheer for the Blues.

First star again last night . Locked things down in the third . 3-0 on the season.

A healthy Halak will be in Vezina discussions this year.

I mean the year end Vezina. Not the 20 game mark Vezina that the fanboys award to Price every year.

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
For thirty games a season, maybe. Halak still isn't a number one.

Now go cheer for the Blues.

thirty games? Halak played 45 games as a back up to Price and 57 with the blues the following year... but I see your point. It's the one and only apprehension I had in the Halak trade. Small reactionary goalies tend to wear out more vs bigger positional goalies but I would rather have 50+ games of a great goalie than 65+ of an average one.

Just for comparisons sake here are Halak's three best years sv% wise vs Price:

.934 - .923
.926 - .920
.924 - .916

Last edited:

AH

Nov 21, 2004
Woodbridge, ON
First star again last night . Locked things down in the third . 3-0 on the season.

I mean the year end Vezina. Not the 20 game mark Vezina that the fanboys award to Price every year.

45 game goalies dont get Vezina consideration, no matter what their stats say.

They are good fantasy picks though

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
yep...Halak has always been the better goalie plus has a cap hit of $3.75m vs $6.5m.

Wonder how long until Elliott/Allen steal the starting role after putting up identical numbers locking things down in the thir - I mean I bet the Blues are really working hard to get Halak re-signed and not let him hit the open market. :sarcasm:

Or maybe they will sign Halak. In that case I can't wait to see all the teams lining up to sign that amazing Brian Elliott and his 3rd period lock down ability.

There's a reason Vezinas go to full time starters. It's a long season - a lot easier to have good numbers playing 40% - 60% of 82 games vs playing 80-90%. Whether you want to admit it or not, endurance/longevity is a key trait for goalies.

Last edited:

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Tim Thomas and his 43 games played says hi.

Did he stop by to remind us he had his job stolen that year by Rask with his league leading 1.97 GAA + .931sv% in 45 games and neither got Vezina consideration?

Last edited:

Bryson

#EugeneMolson
Jun 25, 2008
Did he stop by to remind us he had his job stolen that year by Rask with his league leading 1.97 GAA + .931sv% in 45 games and did not get Vezina consideration?

I will make sure to bring that to his attention next time he stops by for crumpets and tea.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Well everything is all about hindsight here. From the "praise to Gauthier" to we could have gotten more for Price. There was some potential for Eller to be a top 6 but that was not a gimme. I guess same applies to Halak who had the potential to also become a #1. But yet, a little more proven based on his seasons but mostly playoffs.

I don't believe we could have gotten more for Halak....but we could have gotten more for Price. Was then the idea of who to keep and who to ship out. The idea is not who everybody had in mind we shoudl have kept. 'Cause the answer was Price. The idea was more about if somebody in this organization, let say Timmins, woudl have had Halak in such regard that he or somebody else would have make Price expendable. Let's say also that the "feeling" was that Price would not thrive in a market like Montreal...so maybe it becomes another reason why, at the time, you ship out another guy. And if in the end the return for Price would have been insane, well then you might have another reason even if Halak never ends up as good. You have a choice between a possible GREAT goalie with a good return....Or a possible GOOD goalie with a GREAT return...what do you go for?

Anyway, my point for praising Gauthier that much is mostly based on hindsight. Good job for him though 'cause hindsight or not, he did the trade. But we will never know "WHat if...".

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Galchenyuk vs Grigorenko?

Mikhail Grigorenko could be a healthy scratch Thursday night.
Johan Larsson practiced in his spot between wingers Zemgus Girgensons and Brian Flynn. Grigorenko filled in for Cody Hodgson on Buffalo's top line during the session, but Hodgson is expected to play after getting a maintenance day. Grigorenko's ice time has decreased each game this season and he played just 8:07 during Tuesday's overtime loss to Tampa Bay. He has no points and five shots in four contests.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Galchenyuk vs Grigorenko?

Mikhail Grigorenko could be a healthy scratch Thursday night.
Johan Larsson practiced in his spot between wingers Zemgus Girgensons and Brian Flynn. Grigorenko filled in for Cody Hodgson on Buffalo's top line during the session, but Hodgson is expected to play after getting a maintenance day. Grigorenko's ice time has decreased each game this season and he played just 8:07 during Tuesday's overtime loss to Tampa Bay. He has no points and five shots in four contests.

I think that Girgensons kid will ultimately be the impact player of the two. He's a tank.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I see. Every thread is a Price thread this morning. Despite the fact he kept us in the game. This is going to be a long season.

The mods should just sticky a "All Price whining and complaining posts go here" thread for the Price haters who constantly ***** and moan about Price after losses. It's the same crowd all the time. :nod: It's time someone gave them a home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad