The Out of Town Thread CVIII - Free Agency Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
IIRC habs fans circa 2008 debated the hypotheticals of trading the Kostitsyns for the Sedins.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Chris Stewart was signed by Anaheim (correct info?) for 1.7mil (one year deal).

Rene Bourque for playoffs only...anyone? (approx.10 goals in 20 playoff games for us...we could have used him in 2015 playoffs, imo..... I don't care about players who are good only in regular season...I want a CUP...I want more playoff warriors/producers/performers).

I swear too many here want regular season bragging rights VS going as far as possible in playoffs. We have to take a chance (could have) on a cheap C.Stewart and we can still take cheap (UFA) Rene Bourque in March...for playoffs (Bourque could still produce in playoffs, especially since he will be a UFA...still hungry for one more contract). We don't have enough firepower in our top 6-9...we still need to wait a bit for Hudon (ready? coud be), Scherbak, McCarron...maybe Andrighetto? (maybe?).

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Bourque is unlikely to ever again help anybody in the playoffs. He's a finished player.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
TBH though the Kostitsyns were pretty impressive talent-wise back in the day.

The Sedins were also painfully average around that time and were looking to cash in huge at free agency according to the rumours. Two guys who floated around 70-80 points in the weakest division in hockey looking to be paid like Crosby.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
As an aside, the Sedins are great examples of offensive production declining with age.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Totally minor, but you Wonder why the heck would Nashville trade Beck to Toronto for Jamie freakin Devane....minor trade....but huge win for TO in there. No idea why Poile did this...

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Totally minor, but you Wonder why the heck would Nashville trade Beck to Toronto for Jamie freakin Devane....minor trade....but huge win for TO in there. No idea why Poile did this...

Maybe they don't see Beck as being worth a 1 way contract. Wouldn't be the first time Nashville gave guys away who they didn't want to pay.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque

It's a win for TO, not sure about 'huge' though, Devane is a goon, not much more than that, and only in the AHL (if the Preds dresses him for a game, damn they're in trouble...), but Beck can barely play in the NHL. Only 24 though, perhaps he has some more potential in him...

Dagenais Bar Down*

As an aside, the Sedins are great examples of offensive production declining with age.

Both rebounded from an off year quite well, I would say. Daniel was 9th; Henrik 13th in scoring last season.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
It's a win for TO, not sure about 'huge' though, Devane is a goon, not much more than that, and only in the AHL (if the Preds dresses him for a game, damn they're in trouble...), but Beck can barely play in the NHL. Only 24 though, perhaps he has some more potential in him...

It's the Leafs version of hoping that just had found Maroon or Beleskey at an incredibly small price.Frankly, it's really as if we would have traded Smith-Pelly for Nevins....This would have been seen as a huge steal.....yet, huge doesn't mean 50-goal result...huge within the expectations of the players involved...

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
I don't want Thrusy in habville,

come on MB Sharp gone,

what are you doing up in the booth???? lol

this team is so doomed if we don't get a top 6 player

japhi

Jul 7, 2014

They had a few down years playing for Torts, but last year under an offensive system playing they both were top 10 in scoring. Still very productive players.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
They had a few down years playing for Torts, but last year under an offensive system playing they both were top 10 in scoring. Still very productive players.

They also played in the weakest division in hockey last year. Both Arizona and Edmonton trying to get McDavid.

Weber Fan

Feb 13, 2003
Quebec city
Visit site
I know it's Eklund but what do you think about this player?

On Tlusty...

I am hearing rumors that Jiri Tlusty is close to signing...and the rumor is Montreal is leading that race. Tlusty showed last year in Carolina that he was capable of scoring when paired with talented players..he was so successful that the Canes knew they wouldn't be able to meet his contract demands and shipped him to Winnipeg...In Winnipeg he looked out of place and honestly didn't get to play with anything close to the Staal brothers... His value fell based on his time in Winnipeg and now is the kind of player who will likely have to sign a one year deal to prove himself...maybe...

I say "maybe" because sources tell me there may still be a multi-year deal out there with Montreal of Winnipeg...stay tuned.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010

On Tlusty...

I am hearing rumors that Jiri Tlusty is close to signing...and the rumor is Montreal is leading that race. Tlusty showed last year in Carolina that he was capable of scoring when paired with talented players..he was so successful that the Canes knew they wouldn't be able to meet his contract demands and shipped him to Winnipeg...In Winnipeg he looked out of place and honestly didn't get to play with anything close to the Staal brothers... His value fell based on his time in Winnipeg and now is the kind of player who will likely have to sign a one year deal to prove himself...maybe...

I say "maybe" because sources tell me there may still be a multi-year deal out there with Montreal of Winnipeg...stay tuned.

He isn't a top forward... On this team he might be though !

Alex514

May 10, 2015

On Tlusty...

I have lost track of how many times Eklund has sent Tlusty to Montreal. He's been hammering away at that 'rumor' since early days of last season.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
I'd have no problems with the Habs signing Tlusly...
- After signing Galchenyuk;
- To a short cheap show-me deal;
- If Eric Fehr is otherwise signed by then.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
He's essentially a 30 points a season guy. He's more of a fit with Eller and Weise on the third line ( Could be a pretty good line actually) than any help for the top 6. The best chance of filling THAT spot will be internally with one of the pro experienced prospects ( Hudon,Ghetto,Carr) I believe . We need to incorporate at least one into the mix.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
He's essentially a 30 points a season guy. He's more of a fit with Eller and Weise on the third line ( Could be a pretty good line actually) than any help for the top 6. The best chance of filling THAT spot will be internally with one of the pro experienced prospects ( Hudon,Ghetto,Carr) I believe . We need to incorporate at least one into the mix.

That unfortunately means Weise starts in the top 6. I don't see Therrien using a rookie in his top 6.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
I'd have no problems with the Habs signing Tlusly...
- After signing Galchenyuk;
- To a short cheap show-me deal;
- If Eric Fehr is otherwise signed by then.

Everyone knows he's has success with Plekanek but he would fit in nicely with Eller on the left side.

So much depends on how MT decides to use DD and Galchenyuk. With DD as a top line center, AG27 slots in on left wing on the 2nd line. But if they finally decide to play Galchenyuk as the #1 center, a guy like Tlusty would be ok next to Plek on the second line. He's produced playing with good players.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
up there with "patrick kane" hahaah this board.

Same board expecting MB to get a top 6 player at all cost not taking cap considerations and stuff like that.:sarcasm:

In fairness to the Patrick Kane people, I do remember some saying that SK was often as dominant on that line in London that year as PK. But that's a very different statement. It's like saying at times Burrows carried the Sedins.

Truth is, SK had a fantastic season alongside Gagner and Kane and may have been as good as Gagner in hindsight, but I don't think any sane fan ever thought SK was at PK level.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
In fairness to the Patrick Kane people, I do remember some saying that SK was often as dominant on that line in London that year as PK. But that's a very different statement. It's like saying at times Burrows carried the Sedins.

Truth is, SK had a fantastic season alongside Gagner and Kane and may have been as good as Gagner in hindsight, but I don't think any sane fan ever thought SK was at PK level.

Regardless.. S. Kostitsyn was a 7th round pick. He had a GREAT wrist shot, good puck-handling, EXCELLENT vision, he was physical and when he wanted to, he was great defensively.

Problem was his attitude, he would get lazy and inconsistent. That being said, he was a great player for us and could have been so much more. Ridiculous we lost him for absolutely nothing.

Dagenais Bar Down*

They also played in the weakest division in hockey last year. Both Arizona and Edmonton trying to get McDavid.

Getzlaf and Perry, what are their excuses for not cracking the top 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad