The Out of Town Thread CVIII - Free Agency Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
No doubt Patrick Sharp could have helped this team, but nobody will ever know if/what Chicago wanted in return. Daley is a good player. Top 4 guy for sure. I am surprised the Hawks took back so much salary, which tells me Bickell and/or Versteeg are moving as well.

Can we chill on the Jim Nill praise however? 1 playoff appearance in the last 7 years, with a 1st round exit. Nill wasn't there for most, but lets not get irrational about one trade for a high cap hit player who is on the downside of his career, and may have some trust issues with teammates if you believe what you read about Sharp on the internet.....
I'm pretty sure people are talking about more than this one trade...

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
For those envying Nill and DAL, their defense and goaltending is still not good enough to make a push for PO. They're still one of the worst teams in the West.

And Sharp will not help them. Nill is a wild gambler....hit the nuts with Seguin but will bust out with all his other adds.
Dallas will be a no show when the playoffs starts......
I will bet on that:popcorn:

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Watch MB trade Gilbert,DD,Emelin tomorrow,resigh cucky, and then offer sheet Jurco. Or nothing happens.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
We talk about dallas' defense, but we will also have to look at gotending. Lehtonen was not good last year, and they are hoping for niemi to be their answer this year.

Without better goaltending, I think their improvement is marginal at best, and it remains a question mark for me.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
They have the GM that can do it. Nill is a proactive GM, he isn't Bergie.

while I dont think MB has been great in the last year, he acquired a top 4 D for nothing (roster wise) while proactive Nill is trading D for forwards, Gonchar for Moen last season and now Daley for Sharp...

what is he going to do next, trade forwards to shore up his D ? pray one of his goalie has great value in a trade ?

that's great that Nill is proactive, but after all his moves his defense is still putrid and his goalie tandem is costing him over 10M in cap space...

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
while I dont think MB has been great in the last year, he acquired a top 4 D for nothing (roster wise) while proactive Nill is trading D for forwards, Gonchar for Moen last season and now Daley for Sharp...

what is he going to do next, trade forwards to shore up his D ? pray one of his goalie has great value in a trade ?

that's great that Nill is proactive, but after all his moves his defense is still putrid and his goalie tandem is costing him over 10M in cap space...

He will have to address their weaknesses for sure...but what Nill did with Sharp is that he got the best player out of that deal. Daley did have his best stats season of his career....but he's 31. Nill thinks he's not going to improve from now and can ony start regressing.

Though I just listened to him and he seemed really confidence about his D group, which I don't really agree, but he also mentioned that he has a lot of cap room to make other deals if needed.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011

Why do you think Nill will struggle to acquire the right players? His O is quite good, though...a good O will help the D and the goalie. I'm sure he will sure up that area. Why? because he's a proactive GM and has already revamped his O. He will do the same with the D and G....how? via trades, draft, free agency. He uses all of the opportunities available to him.

Jamie Thomas

Apr 4, 2003
People here really seem to forget that Lethonen has been a pretty good goalie his whole career who had a terrible season last year. I would expect him to rebound next season. Niemi will also provide much better back up play than what they had last year. If people thought Tokarski was bad, just look up the season Lindback and Enroth had. The Stars will compete for a playoff spot in a much stronger division and stronger conference. Nill is indeed doing a pretty good job there, especially with his trades.

Dr_Hook

Jun 4, 2006
He will have to address their weaknesses for sure...but what Nill did with Sharp is that he got the best player out of that deal. Daley did have his best stats season of his career....but he's 31. Nill thinks he's not going to improve from now and can ony start regressing.

Though I just listened to him and he seemed really confidence about his D group, which I don't really agree, but he also mentioned that he has a lot of cap room to make other deals if needed.

And Sharp is... 33. And forwards decline sooner than Dmen. I'm not sure Bowman really cares if Daley replicates his stat line ; if he can find a decent overall level of play, which is totally reasonnable to assume for a 31 y/o D in a solid system in Chi, they'll have done a fine deal for themselves.

But I agree, Dallas needs to address that whole backend in some way or all those pretty forward deals will have been in vain anyway.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Free agency frenzy? (non?) part VII? part 3?

Is it ok to start a new thread for the UFAs still out there?
(what teams will sign Oduya? Erhoff?, Franson?).

Chris Stewart was signed by Anaheim (correct info?) for 1.7mil (one year deal).

Rene Bourque for playoffs only...anyone? (approx.10 goals in 20 playoff games for us...we could have used him in 2015 playoffs, imo..... I don't care about players who are good only in regular season...I want a CUP...I want more playoff warriors/producers/performers).

Last (most recent) free agent frenzy thread:
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1927725

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad