The Out of Town Thread CVIII - Free Agency Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Yeah....it's obviously way too soon.....but I have no idea why Arizona picked Strome ahead of Marner....Can't wait to see how Strome would develop 'cause frankly...not only he would have been behind Marner for me, but behind Hanifin and Provorov. And Probably behind Rantanen as well. Debatable if I would have put him behind Werenski too...

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1900161&highlight=strome+marner

Marner vs Strome back in May.

300 votes for Marner

126 for Strome

My guess : The Coyotes went with Strome because he's 6'3 and Marner is under '6. I remembver the quotes 'it's hard to find a big center' and all that cheese

edit : Quick talk about Snipers.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/kings-quick-pacioretty-among-nhls-top-shots/

On Max Pacioretty:
When you’re playing Max, you have to be very aware of his quick snapshot. He’s able to release the shot so quickly and with so much power that you have to know where it’s going ahead of time to have a chance to stop it. The thing that separates Max is that his shots are as accurate and consistent as you’re going to see in the NHL. He can pick a little sliver of space better than anyone, so if you’re deep in your net when he releases it, it’s game over.

That quick release is what AG27 needs.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Quick release is useless if you don't hit the net,
make sure the pucks are labeled then work on release...

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office

...still better than:

LosAngelesKings1995-96AltF.jpg

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
That quick release is what AG27 needs.

I don't think you can teach a quick release. If you could everyone would become good. You can improve the speed of your shot while getting older and stronger but the quick release and accuracy is something that takes ages to masterize. You either have it or not.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I don't think you can teach a quick release. If you could everyone would become good. You can improve the speed of your shot while getting older and stronger but the quick release and accuracy is something that takes ages to masterize. You either have it or not.

I remember Kovalev discussing how he got such a great shot and saying that he spent an entire summer just shooting pucks over and over again with his dad until it became that deadly wrister we all know.

So yes it's possible to teach it, but it takes a ton of practice.

Personally I don't think his release is the problem, it's his hesitation to shoot. He gives everyone an extra half second to react before he even decides to shoot.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I remember Kovalev discussing how he got such a great shot and saying that he spent an entire summer just shooting pucks over and over again with his dad until it became that deadly wrister we all know.

So yes it's possible to teach it, but it takes a ton of practice.

Of course it's possible. What i meant is it's not really possible or at the very least very hard at this age and level of competition.

Like you said it requires ton of practice something a kid or teen can afford to do.

But a pro player cannot just train his shot and would likely not do it even if he could. He needs to do media interviews, charity events, family duties, lift, works his legs, spend all his millions, etc etc etc. Hard to dedicate enough time to develop a quick release.

He might be able to do it. We could say Patch did it as he was not a scoring threat in junior and AHL. But Patch is more the exception than the rule. If we drafted Galchenyuk as a goal scoring winger maybe we have made a mistake imo. The only year he was a scoring monster winger was his last year in junior and it was half a year only.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Of course it's possible. What i meant is it's not really possible or at the very least very hard at this age and level of competition.

Like you said it requires ton of practice something a kid or teen can afford to do.

But a pro player cannot just train his shot and would likely not do it even if he could. He needs to do media interviews, charity events, family duties, lift, works his legs, spend all his millions, etc etc etc. Hard to dedicate enough time to develop a quick release.

He might be able to do it. We could say Patch did it as he was not a scoring threat in junior and AHL. But Patch is more the exception than the rule. If we drafted Galchenyuk as a goal scoring winger maybe we have made a mistake imo. The only year he was a scoring monster winger was his last year in junior and it was half a year only.

I get what you are saying, Chuck is a playmaker at heart. But i don't buy the rest of your argument.

It's like like he made a lot of money so far and has kids to take care of. He could very well work on his shot all summer if he wanted to. Jumping from 20 goals to 30 would easily double his salary.

The Ryan Johansen/Max Pacioretty quick release if the way to go to beat modern NHL goalies.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I've always felt Chuck has a great natural shot hidden somewhere in him, waiting to come out, if he can just learn to calm the heck down . He's always so jittery and anxious when he has the puck that nine times out of 10 he overshoots his mark like crazy and misses the net wide when just taking an extra second would make all the difference. I'd say the same thing applies for the rest of his game too, both with and without the puck. When he learns to let it flow a little out there he'll be twice the player he already is.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I've always felt Chuck has a great natural shot hidden somewhere in him, waiting to come out, if he can just learn to calm the heck down . He's always so jittery and anxious when he has the puck that nine times out of 10 he overshoots his mark like crazy and misses the net wide when just taking an extra second would make all the difference. I'd say the same thing applies for the rest of his game too, both with and without the puck. When he learns to let it flow a little out there he'll be twice the player he already is.

Your right.

It's called being 21....

Poise & patience are things that can & do improve with maturity & experience. Not a given, but if the kid is focused on improving his game & disciplined enough to do the work, it will come.

When/if it does, sky's the limit.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Since this Patrick Kane situation is sadly a thing and it'll obviously start a discussion here, please remember to follow the rules of the board, especially the libel rule.

13) Libel: Any posts libeling players, prospects, or hockey personnel. It's not acceptable to post that you heard Player X has a drinking/drug/sex/personal problem from a "good" source. Do not post information that can be considered defamatory without a link to a credible media source. Other forums, personal websites, hearsay, and personal testimonials are not considered credible.

Muminek

Jan 20, 2012
True or not, Kane's ability to put himself in ****** situations is a sight to behold. Toews' got all the common sense between those two.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Since this Patrick Kane situation is sadly a thing and it'll obviously start a discussion here, please remember to follow the rules of the board, especially the libel rule.

Adding to this, any sort of jokes regarding the situation will be handled appropriately in accordance to the site's rules.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Could the Hawks void the contract?

I'm sure there's a clause for criminal conduct in all NHL contracts.

18.19 Criminal Investigation.
A Player subject to Supplementary Discipline for On-Ice
Conduct may seek a reasonable delay in the proceedings in order to retain and seek the advice of
counsel in the event his conduct is also subject to criminal investigation by any governmental
authority, or in the event of an ongoing civil proceeding where the Player has been named as a
defendant. The League may suspend the Player pending the League's formal review and
disposition of the matter where the failure to suspend the Player during this period would create a
substantial risk of material harm to the legitimate interests and/or reputation of the League.

ARTICLE 18-A 18-A.5-18-A.6
18-A.5
Criminal Investigation.
A Player subject to Commissioner Discipline for Off-Ice
Conduct may seek a reasonable delay in such proceedings in order to retain and seek the advice
of counsel in the event his conduct may also be subject to a criminal investigation by any
governmental authority, or in the event of an ongoing civil proceeding where the Player has been
named as a defendant. The League may suspend the Player pending the League's formal review
and disposition of the matter where the failure to suspend the Player during this period would
create a substantial risk of material harm to the legitimate interests and/or reputation of the
League.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Could the Hawks void the contract?

Maybe but it doesn't matter they wont do that. We all know why the kings voided Richard's contract and it's not only because of what he maybe did outside the ice.

Had Richard been a top player in the league he would still be a king. Suspended maybe like Voynov but still under contract.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad