The Out of Town Thread CVIII - Free Agency Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Price + Patch combined will be making around $23-25 million between them.

Good luck with that one Bergevin. Galchenyuk will be looking for a new contract around then too.

LOL, "around then".

Galchenyuk has 2 years left on his contract.
Price has 3 years left on his contract.
Pacoretty has 4 years left on his contract.

These guys are all FA's in different offseasons. Not to mention Galchenyuk will be RFA and locked up well before we need to worry about Price and Pacioretty.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Man Pacioretty is gonna get paaaaaaaiiiiidddd

...In 4 years.

With the raising cap, he'll probably be worth around 9M by the time he needs to be resigned.

Price will be more intriguing. With the recent contract to Lundqvist/Bobrovsky/Rask, he could be pushing the 10M as well at that point...

I'm inclined to think that Pacioretty is unlikely to be worth 9 million ...

But his production could explode once he's no longer held back by Desharnais.

Guys, let me re-iterate: Pacioretty has 4 years left on his contract, which will take him to 30 years of age. Plenty can happen between now and the time his contract expires.

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Not really. Those contracts for Price and Patch are simply for what they are doing now. What their market worth will be in 3 years. And they're not winning any cups now.

If they keep doing what they're doing AND Galchenyuk deserves the salary of an impact player, they will at least have had a great shot at the cup. If Galchenyuk doesn't play like an impact player, he won't get the big salary anyway. So no big deal.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
The criticism that Bergy is getting is a bit too much. Subban was a mistake since the chances of him reaching his potential were a lot more obvious since he was already showing signs of dominance on a consistent basis unlike Chucky. I think we won't have any problems re-signing all of our guys. As pointed out, Markov is not going to be back for sure. Pleky might but it depends largely on how Galchenyuk does at center.

By then, Desharnais/Emelin/Gilbert will be off the books. These guys will be replaced by Big Mac, Scherbak, DLR, Juulsen (or others). These are guys on ELC, in that time span Montreal has some cap space to make acquisition if there are injuries or if they want to go for that final piece. They can make a guy making ~5M fit if they make the team retain salary, that's a huge luxury that most teams don't have. As pointed out, if Galchenyuk pulls a Subban then great, that just means we'll be even closer to winning our 25th cup.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
The criticism that Bergy is getting is a bit too much. Subban was a mistake since the chances of him reaching his potential were a lot more obvious since he was already showing signs of dominance on a consistent basis unlike Chucky. I think we won't have any problems re-signing all of our guys. As pointed out, Markov is not going to be back for sure. Pleky might but it depends largely on how Galchenyuk does at center.

By then, Desharnais/Emelin/Gilbert will be off the books. These guys will be replaced by Big Mac, Scherbak, DLR, Juulsen (or others). These are guys on ELC, in that time span Montreal has some cap space to make acquisition if there are injuries or if they want to go for that final piece. They can make a guy making ~5M fit if they make the team retain salary, that's a huge luxury that most teams don't have. As pointed out, if Galchenyuk pulls a Subban then great, that just means we'll be even closer to winning our 25th cup.

Also, the cap should rise by 6-8 Million IMO in the upcoming seasons especially if there is expansion. I wouldn't be surprised to see it leapfrog quite a bit once there is expansion in a year or two.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Expansion could actually decrease the cap if the new markets are weaker than the average NHL market.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
This is something I don't know....
In the event of an expansion, does the NHL automatically gets more money for the national deals, due to more regions being covered?
(Mind you, that probably doesn't effect Quebec...)

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Shhh... people prefer dreams of never ending cap increases.

Well, to be fair:

1- The cap increased tremedously over the years. More than what was expected back in 2005. The market still has some room for growth. Especially with TV revenues that will gradually come into effect.

2- A whole bunch of posters are worrying way too much about the cap and also about absolutes figures. Like Subban making 9M. The horror!!

3- It doesn't matter if the cap increases or not, really. The GMs and their advisors are not illiterate. Pretty sure they work with relatives figures (i.e. % of the cap). Giving 7M to a guy with a cap at 70M is the exact same as giving 8M to a guy with a cap at 80M. Who cares?

Nobody cared about 5M contracts when the cap was not even 50M. Now everybody get their panties in a bunch anytime a guy gets 6 or 7M.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Expansion could actually decrease the cap if the new markets are weaker than the average NHL market.

They would either allow a compliance buyout or decrease cap hits/salaries based on the amount the cap goes down. It doesn't just go down and the NHL say "good luck".

dzd ncnfzd

Aug 8, 2007
Well, to be fair:

1- The cap increased tremedously over the years. More than what was expected back in 2005. The market still has some room for growth. Especially with TV revenues that will gradually come into effect.

2- A whole bunch of posters are worrying way too much about the cap and also about absolutes figures. Like Subban making 9M. The horror!!

3- It doesn't matter if the cap increases or not, really. The GMs and their advisors are not illiterate. Pretty sure they work with relatives figures (i.e. % of the cap). Giving 7M to a guy with a cap at 70M is the exact same as giving 8M to a guy with a cap at 80M. Who cares?

Nobody cared about 5M contracts when the cap was not even 50M. Now everybody get their panties in a bunch anytime a guy gets 6 or 7M.

Pretty much:

What percentage of the cap was Hamrlick's contract when the cap was around 39 mil? Subbie's contract is comparable....

If the cap stagnates or even goes down (it may....) it doesn't matter, all salaries / cap hits are relative and proportional, that's what the escrow is all about. Salaries are 50% of revenues....

Now there is the minor problem perhaps of the "middle class" squeeze, the higher end "elite" layers perhaps are getting more than their "fair" share of the pie....

If Galchy earns a high cap hit from his play its a good thing, hopefully we have that elusive "big bodied" top 6 centre we have been yearning for!!!

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Shhh... people prefer dreams of never ending cap increases.

There is such a thing as a growing salary cap. It has been for years now.

Plus the Canadian dollar won't stay at a .75 cents so it should increase even MORE over the next few years.

People need to stop freaking out about the cap. GM's are qualified to know and they surround themselves with people that know how to deal with the cap.

Remember that extra like 200 000 K that MB saved in the Gonch trade ( I think it was that one). That goes to show that he is EXTREMELY cautious when it comes to the cap.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Pretty much:

What percentage of the cap was Hamrlick's contract when the cap was around 39 mil? Subbie's contract is comparable....

Exactly.

Also, we can expect a major mental breakdown around here when some very good players start making 10M a year out of a 90M cap.

Just because there's one more digit in the number.

It's like... 10M is two digits and 8M is one digit. Therefore, 10M is twice as much as 8M!!! :scared:

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Exactly.

Also, we can expect a major mental breakdown around here when some very good players start making 10M a year out of a 90M cap.

Just because there's one more digit in the number.

It's like... 10M is two digits and 8M is one digit. Therefore, 10M is twice as much as 8M!!! :scared:

Its the same people that say 5'11 in small but 6'0 is big.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Still baffled the NHLPA is not up in arms about the Panthers.

A little over 11k attendence and only 3.500 watch them on TV. LOL.. and they can't blame a bad product on the ice like they used to.

The owner is happy, he's making bank with other events at the arena and collect the NHL welfare check.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal

A little over 11k attendence and only 3.500 watch them on TV. LOL.. and they can't blame a bad product on the ice like they used to.

The owner is happy, he's making bank with other events at the arena and collect the NHL welfare check.

Just the fact that there's two team in Florida is... eh... typical NHL. Doesn't make sense, so we'll try exactly that.

Meanwhile, there's two teams in Ontario, only one in Quebec. :banghead:

I totally get it that they want to develop southern markets. I'm not against the idea. But do you need 2 teams in Florida and 3 in California to do that? Seriously?

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
So a smaller, less talented and worse defensively version of Eller is about to be paid much more than he is to play the same role. Anyone still think Eller is overpaid?

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Just the fact that there's two team in Florida is... eh... typical NHL. Doesn't make sense, so we'll try exactly that.

I totally get it that they want to develop southern markets. I'm not against the idea. But do you need 2 teams in Florida and 3 in California to do that? Seriously?

Ottawa aren't that far off some of the southern teams in terms of home fan attendance and merch sales. Their building is always full of opposing team fans. The reason there aren't 5 Ontario teams is because for the most part people only care about the Leafs. There were no established teams in Florida, putting two doubles the chance you get a team to stick.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

Is Jeffrey Loria the owner?

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

California has 40 milliom people, Florida I think has 25 million.

I went to a Panthers-Habs game once. It was mostly Habs fans.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Tampa bay is one of the best attendance teams in the NHL. There's no question a successful team will bring more fans but those teams will not survive without a successful team. The difference between Florida and Toronto is Toronto still sells out with it sucks.

Of course, the differences go way beyond that but fact remains, a successful team with a cup in Tampa is killing it but Florida can't do ****. Wonder why? Look at the standings.

I went on vacation right near Sunrise and some locals spoke to me about how they had moved from northern USA. Places like buffalo and had adopted the panthers as their new team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad