The Out of Town Thread CVIII - Free Agency Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
If she's a lying ******* trying to get attention/money, lots of people will be angry and Redditors will go crazy.

If he did rape her, the NHL loses a valuable and very marketable star which I kind of happen to like.

Honestly, in both cases, I'll turn out to be upset. Best case scenario is if it had never happen... Ah well, this really sucks overall.

If he commited the alleged crime, who gives a crap about the NHL. Let's worry about the poor girl. It's a disgusting crime and if he did it , let him rot. Hopefully the American justice system gets this right , either way

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2010
Halifax
I don't see why he can't focus his comment specifically on the effects it could have on the NHL. I'm sure he is considerate for the girl in question.

studDUGY

Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
What about people being angry if he did rape the girl? Or do we only care about marketability in that case?

If he did do it I will be extremely angry, I don't give a **** about what the NHL would lose.

Do they take him off the cover of NHL 16 tho? :sarcasm:

Forgot to add before my post:

I CARE MORE ABOUT THE GIRL THAN MONEY

Now that it's out of the way, I'll let you re-read my post and focus on the repercussions on the NHL if it happened, assuming I'm not a horrible person and that I'm allowed to talk about it.

Bergevillain

Aug 1, 2014
London, ON
Forgot to add before my post:

I CARE MORE ABOUT THE GIRL THAN MONEY

Now that it's out of the way, I'll let you re-read my post and focus on the repercussions on the NHL if it happened, assuming I'm not a horrible person and that I'm allowed to talk about it.

Fair enough, I never assumed you are a horrible person. Just used to seeing the victim pushed under the rug and thought I'd have my say. Sorry to make it seem like I was completely dismissing you.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
On the business side of things, I'd be so pissed if I was Bowman and the accusations were legitimate and Kane is guilty. You trust your player and you make room to keep him and he goes and does something that despicable and ****s you over.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Wasn't the last time Kane had a run in with the law also the time he was on the cover of NHL 10? It's the EA cover curse!

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
This situation is bad either way. If the woman made it up it undermines other future rape victims. If Kane committed a rape and is convicted then it means the loss of a great icon for the sport.

Most likely result: Kane committed a rape, and there won't be enough evidence to convict, he will go on happily.

Last edited:

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
My point was that it sucks for EVERYONE if he did it. But sure, make it sound I care more about money than the victim. That's clearly the kind of person I am.

Sorry for the grief I caused you but if you re-read your post (maybe in a few days) you'll probably understand why we reacted like we did

-> Either she's a lying attention grabbing ***** OR it sucks for the NHL

But thanks for clearing the air and I agree that the whole situation blows

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
NHL set the precedent with Voynov. If Kane is indicted he'll be suspended until the trial is over where they'll make a decision from there. If not, they lose a little more credibility and they don't have enough to be throwing it around like candy.

The NHL really crapped the bed when they suspended Voynov when they don't have a player personnel conduct policy and suspended Voynov. The NFL has a player conduct policy because of rampant arrests.

The NHL had no basis for suspending Voynov but everyone involved chose to adopt the NFL's problems and now it is stuck painting its players with the NFL's problems.

Sports has no business being the morality police. We have a justice system for a reason. Entertainment commissioners aren't suppose to replace society's checks and balances.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The NHL really crapped the bed when they suspended Voynov when they don't have a player personnel conduct policy and suspended Voynov. The NFL has a player conduct policy because of rampant arrests.

The NHL had no basis for suspending Voynov but everyone involved chose to adopt the NFL's problems and now it is stuck painting its players with the NFL's problems.

Sports has no business being the morality police. We have a justice system for a reason. Entertainment commissioners aren't suppose to replace society's checks and balances.

I haven't read an NHL player contract, but I'm pretty sure it includes clauses about behaviour and morality. The job doesn't stop when you leave the arena. These athletes are being paid millions of dollars not only to perform on the ice, but to represent their employer's brand off the ice. Voynov was the one who crapped the bed, and now it appears Kane may have unloaded another steaming pile.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
This situation is bad either way. If the woman made it up it undermines other future rape victims. If Kane committed a rape and is convicted then it means the loss of a great icon for the sport.

Most likely result: Kane committed a rape, and there won't be enough evidence to convict, he will go on happily.

Until the civil lawsuit.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Until the civil lawsuit.

Which would either get buried or she'll be pressured with litigation to not pursue. The vast majority of rape is unreported in North America and when it is pursued it is almost impossible to get a conviction, regardless of what actually happened.

And civil suits are very hard against wealthy clients that can lawyer up like Kane.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
NFL NBA NHL needs to shed it's "thug" image.

Alleged Wife beaters, narcotics possession, cross border drug smuggling and rape claims.

:shakehead

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site

I don't think sports leagues want to be the morality police either. Actually, I think they are extremely uncomfortable with the idea.

It all comes down to money, and evolving societal demands. They don't want to lose sponsors, or create a negative public perception for their product.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
I don't think sports leagues want to be the morality police either. Actually, I think they are extremely uncomfortable with the idea.

It all comes down to money, and evolving societal demands. They don't want to lose sponsors, or create a negative public perception for their product.

You are right, sports leagues don't want to be. But the NFL does, they think they are King ****. The NHL could have let the justice system do their job, with his 90 days in jail, he would have missed training camp and been 3 weeks behind schedule to get in game shape and missed an appropriate number of games. If we let the NFL write the script, Kane should have missed a season for punching a cab driver because equal rights should give you the same punishment for punching a women or a man.

MaxLacoste

Jun 26, 2012
Montreal
You are right, sports leagues don't want to be. But the NFL does, they think they are King ****. The NHL could have let the justice system do their job, with his 90 days in jail, he would have missed training camp and been 3 weeks behind schedule to get in game shape and missed an appropriate number of games. If we let the NFL write the script, Kane should have missed a season for punching a cab driver because equal rights should give you the same punishment for punching a women or a man.

It's not the same thing and they don't send the same message. There is a very huge difference between a guy that punch a taxi driver and a other that get filmed punching his wife. Our society doesn't have a problem with violence against taxi driver. Every major sports need to have policy about violence made by their players toward women. Let's face it, major sports always were bad for the image of women. They used them as sexy sides for the males athletes. And it needs to change. When there sending a player on the field or the ice while this player is under investigation, they also send the message that if they can't prove it, there will be no consequence. Of course, you need a trial. Accusations need to be proved, I know. But they need to send the message to every men, that if you get into a sexual/conjugal violence investigation this will be taken seriously. Yes, the guy can be innocent. If it happen, his reputation will be restore. You don't have to worry. Every medias will jump on that case to support the poor man that was attack by the mean girl.

The reason the NFL has those policies is because in huge amount of cases (every crimes not just against women), they let some players tackle, run, throw, catch and be hero WHILE being guilty but not proved. Let's face it, those thing doesn't happen to good boys. Maybe Kane is innocent. But that didn't happen to Toews or Crosby. It happens to a guy that was violent before. A guy who rumors claims has issues off the ice for years (drinking, drugs, being a ******).

As for equality rights, I will add my two cents on the subject. People should remember a simple physic law. When you're behing a moving object and you want to reach that object, you need to go faster not at the same speed. This applies to women and the black community. We need to put extra effort and ressources to help the women to reach the same statut as men. White men were massively favored for hundreds of years, it's normal it goes the other way. I believe we need to educate boys and young men to respect women and their body. And to do that, we can't let males models do whatever they wants while being under investigation. Waiting for the judge decision, that's the statut quo. Acting immediately to send a message, that's the extra push that will help the situation. Who cares about the NHL sales? Kane is gone for a year? McDavid just entered, we don't need Kane. The society doesn't need Kane as much as we need real equality politics.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
But they need to send the message to every men, that if you get into a sexual/conjugal violence investigation this will be taken seriously. Yes, the guy can be innocent. If it happen, his reputation will be restore.

And that's the point. Innocent until proven guilty. It's there for a reason, you know.

Not taking sides, by the way. Definitely looks like Kane is in trouble. But even then, the pro leagues can't start substituing themselve to the justice system. That would create some dangerous precedent.

What happened in other cases (especially that one in the NFL) is that there was video evidence publicly available. That alone changes everything from a PR point of view. But in Kane's case, we just don't know yet, even though it arguably looks very bad so far.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
MOD
I feel like drugs are common enough that it won't affect the team at all. A lot of people use recreational drugs, including athletes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad