Confirmed with Link: The Ottawa Senators Sale - PART 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Why are Sens fans so over dramatic all the time? You don't sell a sports franchise like you sell a used car. Lol
Overdramatic? The previous owner passed away in March of last year so we're well over a year since the daughters posted the For Sale sign. The Commissioner of the League, himself, was expecting the sale process to be completed within weeks of his comments on March 15. It's f***ing June now. Explain to me what's overdramatic about being frustrated with a process that doesn't seem to have any end in sight? Also, even if it's not a used car, it doesn't take more than a whole year to sell a franchise with this many interested parties.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Overdramatic? The previous owner passed away in March of last year so we're well over a year since the daughters posted the For Sale sign. The Commissioner of the League, himself, was expecting the sale process to be completed within weeks of his comments on March 15. It's f***ing June now. Explain to me what's overdramatic about being frustrated with a process that doesn't seem to have any end in sight? Also, even if it's not a used car, it doesn't take more than a whole year to sell a franchise with this many interested parties.

The franchise was put up for sale in early November 2022, not “well over a year”.

Neil Patrick Harris

Now sponsored by Zoom™
Aug 23, 2008
Ottawa
While you're not wrong, Bettman did state on March 15th that the timeline for phase two was a matter of weeks - it ended up taking two months.

I think it's readily apparent to anyone watching that this sale has stretched far beyond what anyone had anticipated. And I don't think anyone can blame fans for being antsy as it stretches into the off-season - when the team should be focusing in on what moves to make for the seasons to come.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
That’s wrong, Hasn’t been for sale for a year, Gary also said if it takes longer, he’s not concerned about that, just wants to get it right, there is no date he said.

Reactions: KingAlfie11

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013

People think it takes years to sell an operating business for some reason. It’s odd.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I wonder how the Civil servants will handle increase in ticket prices? Gauranteed to go up with new owners needing to build an arena.

It's a good question when everything continues to up in cost, hockey becomes a luxury that a lot of people just won't be able to afford any more especially with kids.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
There is some talk about the Bayview Yards being an interesting place to build a new arena without having to deal with the Federal Government. Although they would still need to deal with the city of Ottawa which might be more ready to make a deal with the Sens than the Watson regime every were & less bureaucracy than ther Feds. They could also own the land instead of leasing which might be something that interests bidders. Seems like a pretty good spot.

It's a big piece of property, it's near the LTR & there may be a couple of other ways in & out of the area. Little Italy is close by, ChinaTown is close by, Westboro is close by & downtown is close by. Maybe the City gives it away at a cheap price to keep the team in Ottawa & makes up the cost of the land in other ways, taxes, LTR ...
That would make a ton of sense as wouldn't that be right where the East/West LRT and North/South interact. Kind of funny that our most connected station has basically nothing around it except that old strip mall with Beyond the Pale and Tom Brown arena. Having a big event centre there would kind of make sense based on the LRT traffic it should theoretically be able to handle.

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
  • Haha
Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Just no to Roy.

Like please no.

Fire Capuano, hire someone who knows actual defence that can work with Payne, and if DJ can’t cut mustard 40 games in - cut bait.
Ya I’d change Cappy as well.

Reactions: Que

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
There is some talk about the Bayview Yards being an interesting place to build a new arena without having to deal with the Federal Government. Although they would still need to deal with the city of Ottawa which might be more ready to make a deal with the Sens than the Watson regime every were & less bureaucracy than ther Feds. They could also own the land instead of leasing which might be something that interests bidders. Seems like a pretty good spot.

It's a big piece of property, it's near the LTR & there may be a couple of other ways in & out of the area. Little Italy is close by, ChinaTown is close by, Westboro is close by & downtown is close by. Maybe the City gives it away at a cheap price to keep the team in Ottawa & makes up the cost of the land in other ways, taxes, LTR ...
There was some discussion about the different sites some time ago (a couple of months?), but not much since. Got to think any bidder that's not planning on keeping the team at the current CTC location would be hyper focused on this.

As they say, things happen for a reason. So when Remington pulled out, that was an eye raiser. Can't just go with the lazy analysis of they did this before you'd think. It doesn't provide a lot of specific insight into this situation.

Last edited:

Sens in Process

Oct 1, 2012
Couldn't the new owners simply take the existing NCC deal and negotiate the inclusion of a parcel of Bayview land from the city? These two tracts of land are essentially adjacent to each other.

Sun God Nika

Apr 22, 2013
Couldn't the new owners simply take the existing NCC deal and negotiate the inclusion of a parcel of Bayview land from the city? These two tracts of land are essentially adjacent to each other.

I thought the same if they really have the capital they can get both. That would really change the city

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Just curious, but do you have a map with the two property boundaries of each site indicated?

I found this which isn't as detailed as you'd hope. "Lebreton on Booth" site looked closer to the proposed NCC (Lebreton) site versus Bayview Yards. So, I'm wondering about the adjacent part of it and if it's literally the case i.e., they might be (?) close versus adjacent.

Also, Bayview belongs to the City versus Lebreton belongs to the NCC. If the 2 sites were truly adjacent and attractive to the winning bidder, then you'd have to wonder how long it would take to get the land aspect worked out, or how problematic dealing with two organizations would be?

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
That’s wrong, Hasn’t been for sale for a year, Gary also said if it takes longer, he’s not concerned about that, just wants to get it right, there is no date he said.
Ok, so has been "officially" for sale since Nov 5, 2022, when the team announced that GSP were going to advise them on and conduct the sale process. Which means the discussions to initiate a sale process started happening well before that. Offers have already been made in the past 2 years, even with the bluster of Eugene saying he wasn't going to sell. Even going by the "official" date, it's been 8 months. All we've had is delays at every single step of the process and if this is being conducted by a professional financial advisor, then the process should have been over by now. They've had months and months to vet and qualify bidders across multiple rounds of discovery. Come on guys, what are we even talking about here? We've known the principal players pretty much since the start. What due diligence is left to do here? It's clear something else is going on and I don't think it's something as basic as vetting and due diligence.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
I remember reading an article once talking to the Sportsnet Execs that had just negotiated that $12.5 Bil tv rights deal I think it was. And the guy was talking about Bettman, how he would call regularly asking did you think about this or that, ways to justify such a higher and higher price, until they finally were persuaded and paid that amount that seemed so unbelievably high to many.

It’s hard to imagine why the sale of the team itself would be leading to so many delays. Im guessing the issues must be more related to the real estate portion of the deal which seems much more complicated right now and a bit blind perhaps still.

I also remember Firestone telling the story of how when he was down in Tampa for the weekend when they were deciding which two teams were going to be given the expansion rights. And Firestone tells how one of the owners catches him in private at the hotel and says to him something like, you know you have no chance right. And Firestone is saying how he just gulped, and went on as if nothing happened.

I wonder what would happen if he had gone to the press or something complaining about the bid process before it was announced. Would they just not give him the expansion rights or use it to humble him from speaking against the league in the future?

Still though, I always wonder about the thinking of preferring the billionaire with $6bil over the one with $2bil reasoning that the richer guy is more likely to spend even if losing. I would figure, first of all, they are all billionaires, and 2nd all losses will surely be added to the team debt just like governments do, regardless how wealthy they are? I cant believe any of them will just cut a cheque to cover losses, would they? It might change the way I look at demanding owners spend to the cap at all times in small markets if I thought they were deficit financing.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I remember reading an article once talking to the Sportsnet Execs that had just negotiated that $12.5 Bil tv rights deal I think it was. And the guy was talking about Bettman, how he would call regularly asking did you think about this or that, ways to justify such a higher and higher price, until they finally were persuaded and paid that amount that seemed so unbelievably high to many.

It’s hard to imagine why the sale of the team itself would be leading to so many delays. Im guessing the issues must be more related to the real estate portion of the deal which seems much more complicated right now and a bit blind perhaps still.

I also remember Firestone telling the story of how when he was down in Tampa for the weekend when they were deciding which two teams were going to be given the expansion rights. And Firestone tells how one of the owners catches him in private at the hotel and says to him something like, you know you have no chance right. And Firestone is saying how he just gulped, and went on as if nothing happened.

I wonder what would happen if he had gone to the press or something complaining about the bid process before it was announced. Would they just not give him the expansion rights or use it to humble him from speaking against the league in the future?

Still though, I always wonder about the thinking of preferring the billionaire with $6bil over the one with $2bil reasoning that the richer guy is more likely to spend even if losing. I would figure, first of all, they are all billionaires, and 2nd all losses will surely be added to the team debt just like governments do, regardless how wealthy they are? I cant believe any of them will just cut a cheque to cover losses, would they? It might change the way I look at demanding owners spend to the cap at all times in small markets if I thought they were deficit financing.
Sportsnet deal was 5 billion CDN not 12 billion.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
It's just rampant speculation lol.

Maybe Bettman will announce it on July 4th with fireworks and jets. Wouldn't surprise me.
Maybe Gary will announce it at the draft.

Gary steps up to the podium: "We have a sale to announce. The Ottawa Senators have been sold to ........".

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I also wonder abut the Sens Plex where the development camp is held & they practise there a great deal given it's so close to the arena in Kanata. I assume if they build a new arena they will also build a practise facility near by. Both places are going to need a big piece of property.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad