OT: The Other Sports Thread Part X

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Georgia was the better team last night, but there is no question that the level of injuries suffered by Bama this year diminished our play. Last night after Williams went down (likely to be the first WR drafted this year) we were without our two starting WRs, our two most dynamic running backs, both starting cornerbacks, a starting outside linebacker and his backup, starting center, starting right guard and our best blocking TE. So no crying here, but clearly Bama did not field our best team last night.

That said, winning the title takes a combination of skill and luck (including in the injury department) and kudos to Georgia for taking full advantage of their opportunity. But we return the Heisman trophy winner and the best player in CFB next year (Will Anderson), so unfortunately for most, we aren't going away any time soon and people can keep hating Saban and Alabama.
When Alabama beat Texas we heard the No excuses response from Bama fans. Let’s be consistent. No excuses.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
When Alabama beat Texas we heard the No excuses response from Bama fans. Let’s be consistent. No excuses.

No excuses from me. But it doesn't stop me from thinking what if. We weren't just missing 1 or 2 guys. We were decimated

I will say this- all year I thought Georgia was by far the best team in the nation. But after those 2 games I no longer believe that. At worst the teams are even. Bama destroyed Georgia in one meeting and then played a down to wire game in the 2nd. I truly believe had Bama been even close to healthy, we win that game. I really am shocked and still can't believe we actually led with 9 minutes left in the game.

But again, no excuses- Georgia won it on the field fair and square- congrats to them

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
I forgot it was even on but my sister in law is a Bama fan and my brother I guess is a bandwagoner so apparently he is one as well. The amount of excuses and crying on Facebook was rather enjoyable.
I forgot about it til halftime. It was something on FB that made me realize last night was National Championship. I don't keep up.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I feel like the end of this college football season was particularly unsatisfying because of how it ended with Georgia and Bama essentially splitting a two game series.

I agree. I do think that they are the two best teams in 2021 by a lot.

I find it interesting that Cincinnati lost to both teams in the last 375 days.

They lost the Peach Bowl in 2021 to Georgia by 3 and lost to Bama by 21 in the semifinal.

I guess that Georgia improved in the last year.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
Ja Morant stares down kids in Memphis wearing Steph Curry jerseys after the Grizz beat the Warriors for their 10th win in a row.
Calm down, Ja asked the media to find out who they are so he could send them one of his jerseys

FI4Gf5LWQAEPajI

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Weather report from Western NY....9 F Nine! and we are 3 hrs from game time.

EDIT: OK, Preds lost to the organization that fired me, and the team I lothe, so I expect Pats lose

Last edited:

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
And Joe B Hall had passed earlier this morning. Coach Cal wore a blue blazer and carried a rolled up program in tribute.
I hadn't heard that. He was UKs coach when I was at UT. I pull for UT but the Wildcats can have that game. May mean the difference between playoffs and none but that butt kicking was an emotional response and I'd hope we would have played the same way.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
So they added a 7th playoff team why?

(Silly me, I know it was for money.... but certainly not for competitive matchups)

Reactions: BigFatCat999

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
So they added a 7th playoff team why?

(Silly me, I know it was for money.... but certainly not for competitive matchups)
I don't know this, but I think they probably used the fact that they were playing 17 games this year--giving teams a bit of a gimme because they all played like crap the first 3 weeks due to a shortened practice with no real preseason play. But of course the real reason is money.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
I don't know this, but I think they probably used the fact that they were playing 17 games this year--giving teams a bit of a gimme because they all played like crap the first 3 weeks due to a shortened practice with no real preseason play. But of course the real reason is money.

This is the 2nd or 3rd year with the “extra” team. And the answer is money.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
This is the 2nd or 3rd year with the “extra” team. And the answer is money.
Really? I thought this was the first year with 17 games. I knew they'd shortened the preseason before.

Eh, I don't keep up with NFL. That's Mr. Adz department. Our marriage consists of one of us explaining the intricacies of our favorite sport and the other's eyes glazing over. But we try.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
This is the first year with 17 reg season games but its apparently not the first season with 7 playoff teams per conference

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
This is the first year with 17 reg season games but its apparently not the first season with 7 playoff teams per conference

This is correct. 2020/2021 was the first year with 14 playoff teams.

nine_inch_fang

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2004
Nashville
I know it's popular to be cynical and say it's only about the money but honestly, is there really THAT much money to gain? Maybe there is and I'm being a little bit naive but it is only an increase of two playoff games per season and I know there is money involved but there was also a lot of added drama to the end of the season. With only one first round bye per conference and a possibility of 3-4 teams earning that last playoff spot it has fanbases of teams that would have normally been ignoring the last 2-3 weeks interested in multiple games throughout the league.

Sure, the added interest and two extra playoff games ultimately result in more dollars but it also makes for a better more interesting fan experience which is something the NFL hasn't worried about in a long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad