Online Series: The Orville : New Horizons - March 10, 2022 on Hulu

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
That was a fantastic episode. I was afraid of a little let down after the two-parter, but that wasn't at all. I loved that it had mystery, high stakes and human drama. It felt just like a TNG episode and also reminded me of Star Trek VI and DS9. You don't get much more 90s (peak) Star Trek than that. That's definitely one of my favorite episodes of the series so far.

One tiny nitpick is that it doesn't seem likely that the Krill would be happy without a body and without seeing him die, since they could be suspicious that the Union lied about or faked his death. There's a 48-minute time constraint, though, so such things need to be let to slide to wrap the episode up. I would love if this were a streaming show and they could add 5-10 minutes to tie up loose ends like that, but it's not, unfortunately. At least FOX has been letting the show be 48 minutes this season instead of the typical 42-44

They shortened the commercial breaks in all shows for this season.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
They shortened the commercial breaks in all shows for this season.

I didn't realize (or probably just forgot) that they did it for all shows. That's good, especially because I was afraid that having less ad revenue coming in compared to other shows, combined with the lower ratings this season, could jeopardize renewal for a 3rd season.

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
Well since we are comparing this series to vintage 90s Trek looks like we are getting the Barkley holodeck treatment with some Minuette thrown in next week.

You know what would be cool? If next week instead of making it a one off we could end up with recurring hologram character like the Voyager's doctor, or have her inhabit a physical body made by Isaac.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
IIRC, it had something to do with the evolution of ad revenue and people skipping the commercials more and more: Networks Know You Hate Ads, and Here’s What They’re Finally Doing About It

Thanks for the link. It's interesting that, according to that, FOX plans to have only two minutes of commercials per hour by 2020. If The Orville gets renewed, that's nearly 10 more minutes that might be put toward each episode. That could really help improve the stories, either by adding more to them or just not having to rush through them.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I didn't mind the episode partly because I'm a sucker for rom coms but also because it did add some more depth to Gordon.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
That was good. It was obvious before the title sequence that it was going to be a rip-off of the TNG episode in which LaForge falls for holographic Leah Brahms, but it took it in a different direction. It didn't hurt that Gordon's attraction to Laura was easier to understand than Geordi's to Leah. I wouldn't want every episode to be a rip-off of a TNG episode, but one now and then is fine if they're pulled off as well as that.

Last edited:

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Also if you go back to that episode of TNG, Geordie is genuinely creepy in it.

He basically took a training manual and reprogrammed a compliant woman in it.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Fast forward is your friend especially at the end when he wrote her "wisdom" speech. Rarely have I heard such bullshit.

Too bad he isn't as smart as he thinks he is or he would have never been so pretentious.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Also if you go back to that episode of TNG, Geordie is genuinely creepy in it.

He basically took a training manual and reprogrammed a compliant woman in it.

Yeah, that, too. I've always liked the idea, but that TNG episode just didn't do it right. This Orville episode did it much better. Perhaps MacFarlane purposefully picked one of the most infamously bad TNG episodes to rip off so that he could do the idea behind it justice.

peate

Smiley
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
Leah Brahms was more than just a made up girlfriend, she was the engineer that designed the ship's engines. She just turned out that way and Geordie fell for her, being an engineer himself, but, it is creepy. When she catches him in the act in a later episode. :laugh:

How about Riker and Minuet? Barclay and his fantasies? Lwaxana getting fooled by the bartender? Janeway falling for the Inn owner? Nog living with Vic Fontaine? All boils down to the same story. I can imagine if that technology was real, some weird stuff comes to mind. :naughty:

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Personally I thought it was a terrific episode, maybe one of the best of the series.

Although it seems rather light-hearted, it actually raises some very interesting philosophical questions at the same time.

As Malloy says, the sum of the parts is the personality that he's fallen in love with. Obviously tinkering with that creates an artificial experience, but prior to that, who is to say what the sum total of our experiences would result in?

Sure, right now, we don't have the programming expertise or power to do it - but how far have we come in 50 years? How about 350 years from now? How well can the computer fill in the missing blanks? We like to think we're unique, but as Westworld suggests, human beings have our own behavioural loops.

What data was available suggested that she would be interested in Malloy - he never set up the simulation for that to happen.

I liked Malloy's line about Isaac, and whether or not he's self-aware or only so sophisticated enough that the observer can't tell the difference. And in that case, does it really matter?

Ultimately, you have to question whether a 2 GB cellphone has enough information to create a reasonable impression of a person (even with a powerful computer filling in the gaps).

It also begs the question as to why the other holodeck experiences that people engage in on the show are so clunky. No one ever tried to download personal data (and I assume the amount of data you could collect in the future would be exponentially greater) and essentially create an immortal, virtual copy of themselves or a loved one? I suppose it could be a social taboo. In any event, I really enjoyed the story nevertheless, and I suppose what was fascinating to them might have been to experience a simulation that is so mundane by comparison.

Good science-fiction is supposed to give rise to good questions, and that's exactly what this episode did.

But good science-fiction with solid performances and good characterizations is even better. I'm sure any one of us could easily fall for someone like that - and the actress and writers did a fabulous job bringing her to life. Also nice to see Grimes when he isn't just playing the goofy comic relief.

Other shows have done the holodeck experience before, but not as deftly and as nuanced as this one IMO. There is a quiet dignity and tragedy derived from the fact that her personality is sourced from selections of her own personal life and not from historical record or the cast member's preferences.

Maybe because I'm getting older and mortality isn't just something that is too far away to think about.

That line about people in photographs in the past seeming so distant was a good one.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Personally I thought it was a terrific episode, maybe one of the best of the series.

Although it seems rather light-hearted, it actually raises some very interesting philosophical questions at the same time.

As Malloy says, the sum of the parts is the personality that he's fallen in love with. Obviously tinkering with that creates an artificial experience, but prior to that, who is to say what the sum total of our experiences would result in?

Sure, right now, we don't have the programming expertise or power to do it - but how far have we come in 50 years? How about 350 years from now? How well can the computer fill in the missing blanks? We like to think we're unique, but as Westworld suggests, human beings have our own behavioural loops.

What data was available suggested that she would be interested in Malloy - he never set up the simulation for that to happen.

I liked Malloy's line about Isaac, and whether or not he's self-aware or only so sophisticated enough that the observer can't tell the difference. And in that case, does it really matter?

Ultimately, you have to question whether a 2 GB cellphone has enough information to create a reasonable impression of a person (even with a powerful computer filling in the gaps).

It also begs the question as to why the other holodeck experiences that people engage in on the show are so clunky. No one ever tried to download personal data (and I assume the amount of data you could collect in the future would be exponentially greater) and essentially create an immortal, virtual copy of themselves or a loved one? I suppose it could be a social taboo. In any event, I really enjoyed the story nevertheless, and I suppose what was fascinating

Good science-fiction is supposed to give rise to good questions, and that's exactly what this episode did.

But good science-fiction with solid performances and good characterizations is even better. I'm sure any one of us could easily fall for someone like that - and the actress and writers did a fabulous job bringing her to life. Also nice to see Grimes when he isn't just playing the goofy comic relief.

Other shows have done the holodeck experience before, but not as deftly and as nuanced as this one IMO. There is a quiet dignity and tragedy derived from the fact that it's derived from selections of her own personal life and not from historical record or the cast member's preferences.

Maybe because I'm getting older and mortality isn't just something that is too far away to think about.

That line about people in photographs in the past seeming so distant was a good one.
I agree I really liked this episode.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad