The Official Pierre "high five" Dorion Thread | Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
When you look at the team Murray - Dorion has completely dismantled that team and made his own. EK, Phaneuf, Turris, Hoffman, Methot.

He’s out his make on this team that’s for sure. Totally dismantled the Murray team and now it’s his team

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
When you look at the team Murray - Dorion has completely dismantled that team and made his own. EK, Phaneuf, Turris, Hoffman, Methot.

He’s out his make on this team that’s for sure. Totally dismantled the Murray team and now it’s his team

yadda yadda yadda

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Pageau is not overpaid and dzingle is a 2nd liner. Are you living in the 2015 salary cap era?

Dzingle is a better offensive talent then Smith ever was. Smith put up goals with stone

Smith is a better defensive talent than Dzingel ever was or will be, plus Smith takes all the important faceoffs all over the ice when they need to win a faceoff. He's bigger, tougher, harder to play against defensively, he hits & he will fight occasionally. When placed with offensive players like Stone, Smith produces offensively, when placed with defensive players like Pyatt/Pajaarvi, that line is expected to play a defensive role. Pageau is overpaid in the sense that Ottawa has younger & cheaper players coming who can play his role & potentially add more offence like Chlapik & Brown.

Once again, it's not & should never be, all about pts but all the things a player does to help his team win games. Smith has been & continues to be a valuable player for this team but just like Dzingel his time here is limited due to all the good prospects coming soon. Unfortunately for Pageau next yr is his UFA yr & could be his last yr with Ottawa. Same could be said for Boedker, DeMello, Boro, Anderson & Condon.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Smith is a better defensive talent than Dzingel ever was or will be, plus Smith takes all the important faceoffs all over the ice when they need to win a faceoff. He's bigger, tougher, harder to play against defensively, he hits & he will fight occasionally. When placed with offensive players like Stone, Smith produces offensively, when placed with defensive players like Pyatt/Pajaarvi, that line is expected to play a defensive role. Pageau is overpaid in the sense that Ottawa has younger & cheaper players coming who can play his role & potentially add more offence like Chlapik & Brown.

Once again, it's not & should never be, all about pts but all the things a player does to help his team win games. Smith has been & continues to be a valuable player for this team but just like Dzingel his time here is limited due to all the good prospects coming soon. Unfortunately for Pageau next yr is his UFA yr & could be his last yr with Ottawa. Same could be said for Boedker, DeMello, Boro, Anderson & Condon.

C'mon now. You can't hype up Smith for his 2-way play and then in the same breath say that Brown/Chlapik could come in and do what Pageau does. If you're gonna give Smith credit for his defensive play and physicality you absolutely need to give JGP his due as well. Brown would get eaten up playing the minutes Pageau does.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
C'mon now. You can't hype up Smith for his 2-way play and then in the same breath say that Brown/Chlapik could come in and do what Pageau does. If you're gonna give Smith credit for his defensive play and physicality you absolutely need to give JGP his due as well. Brown would get eaten up playing the minutes Pageau does.
Let's be clear, I don't take away anything from Pageau's play he is every bit as good defensively as Smith IMO, I think Smith is tougher simply due to size & ability to fight. Having said that though, Smith has an extra yr to his contract than Pageau which is why Pageau might be the guy to go first. Chlapik IMO will get the first opportunity to see if he can even replace Pageau, he may not, but if he does & I think he can, then at some point next yr Pageau could get moved & replaced by Chlapik. We'll see.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
dOriOn DoEsN't Do InTeRvIewS WheN W'eRE LoSInG!!!11
This isn't an interview about the Sens, or the state of the team, at all. Literally states that in the description.

"I did not mention Karlsson or Hoffman, trade deadlines, contracts or game strategy. If you want the day to day rundown of this team, check out TSN. If, however, you want to understand why Pierre works the way he does, how decisions come to be made, and how he manages to love this game the way he does, then this is a great listen."

It's a great introspection of Dorion, but that's all it is. Not an NHL interview regarding the team, at all.

Reactions: JungleBeat

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
dOriOn DoEsN't Do InTeRvIewS WheN W'eRE LoSInG!!!11

Next week, we'll hear about Guy Boucher's love of Corgi's, a passion he continues to share with his family and friends. That's what fans want to hear!

That interview had nothing to do with the state of the team.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Next week, we'll hear about Guy Boucher's love of Corgi's, a passion he continues to share with his family and friends. That's what fans want to hear!

That interview had nothing to do with the state of the team.

I think the point was to get to know the man a little no? It’s what some fans want to hear, other just want mud.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think the point was to get to know the man a little no? It’s what some fans want to hear, other just want mud.

There is nothing wrong with the interview, but it can't really be used as evidence that he doesn't avoid talking to the media when the team is struggling, because that criticism refers specifically to him avoiding answering questions about the teams struggles. That, I believe, is what @DaveMatthew was getting at. He wasn't commenting on the interview per say, but the relevance of it regarding swiftwins use of it as a rebuttal to a specific critique.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
There is a common theme where people get promoted to managers based on excelling in technical skills related to their field. They don't necessarily have the managerial or leadership background, so there is a massive learning curve in the first year or so on the job. While Dorion likely had a fantastic mentor in Bryan Murray, this interview shows how that might have been the case with him. He talks about how he's learned to let other people do things, rather than micro manage. He also claims to have received some sort of coaching in management or leadership, which was likely a smart move on his part.

The above situation is very common. It was the entire basis of the Michael Scott character in The Office. He was a great salesman, which got him promoted to manager despite not having the tools to manage.....I am not saying Pierre Dorion=Michael Scott.

I have a lot of empathy for Pierre Dorion. What was the top difficulty level called on Doom? That's what Dorion is playing NHL General Manager on. He's got a chaotic owner with an inability to spend, and in his 2nd year on the job he was tasked with trying to trade the best player in franchise history. That doesn't absolve him from how poorly he handled the Karlsson situation publicly "Gretzky was traded mmmkay", or any of the other mistakes he made. For me, it shapes the job he is doing. I'm far less angry about Pierre Dorion failing than I would be if we had an experienced GM with full ownership support and we were making the kind of moves we've made.

It's pretty clear, either Dorion is afraid to do hockey interviews consistently when things are bad, or he's been instructed not to. I would not be surprised if he's been instructed not to, because he is not the greatest communicator. I don't understand how anybody could use this Lianne Lang podcast as an example of Dorion being willing to face the music. Do you guys really think he was going in there expecting Lianne Lang to grill him "BUT YOU SAID YOU GUYS DECIDED TO MOVE KARLSSON IN FEBRUARY, THE FANS DESERVE THE TRUTH! WHAT IS IT?".

On a side note, Pierre, since you probably lurk these boards. High intensity interval training takes 15-20 minutes a day. No excuses bro. You can do it!

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
the Senators came out a year or so ago and made the claim that they didn't feel reporting on the team was balanced. There's probably some legitimacy to that claim. We don't need a world full of Garrioch's but on the other hand why give certain media types the time of day?

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

Yeah, no. I don't really care about what makes Dorion tick. I want his rationale for the moves he makes, and the overall plan. He regularly goes into hibernation when stuff goes bad. This is a fluff piece.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Much like the coach I’m not sure what you guys expect him to say on a frequent basis. I personally want to hear from him when he does GM things.

I think it’s very clear that we’re rebuilding, the team is winning and losing at about the same rate, and several of our kids are developing nicely.

Guys expect the coach to go into great detail with media after every lose, and get worked up when the guys chooses to focus on the positives when he does. It’s a rebuild, the whole point is to focus on the positives, and not dwel to heavily on the negatives, and definitely not in the media.

As far as PD goes, I think most people just want to watch him twist in the wind while being grilled after a few loses, or to be questioned over and over again about the past. Maybe interrogated about EM and team finances, mostly because people don’t like the answers he’s already given in these topics, but again from a common sense point of view what exactly is he supposed to say after each loss? Do people really see that as part of his job?

As fans we really don’t need to hear from the GM often. We know what happened with EK in a general sense, we know we’re rebuilding, and we know we have a few key FAs coming up to sign. PD has been clear that he wants to sign both, and would like for the next time he talks about it to be announcing deals. This can’t happen until January for Stone, and we know Duchene is keen to see what happens with Stone. The team is playing well above expectations, so I’m really not sure why people want the GM frequently talking to the media after losses, what would be the purpose? The fans calling for this stuff want him to be ridiculed by the media, that’s the purpose.

This interview was just a background piece on who PD is and what his influences are in terms of team building and player acquisitions. It was some insight into his hockey experiences and the mentors he had. It talked about his family and friends, and brought him to near tears when talking about his fathers death and his brothers. It actually gave some pretty solid information about what kinds of players he values and why. For those claiming to not be interested, why not get some insight into the person folks spend so much time on here insulting?

The guy loves hockey, cherishes his dad and BMs mentorship and influences, and loves his job. He talked about learning to tune out the media to a certain degree, and living with the mistakes he’s made. He knows he’s learning on the job, and talked about areas where he’s getting better. He really seems to enjoy his work. He also made a few comments that showed that it was a hard and stressful job, like when referring to a few ‘fans’ acosting him. He seems like a sensitive guy who has undoubtably has to learn to thicken his skin in this role.

Seems like a guys who works hard to stay positive and try his best to enjoy his life and work. This was not about the team specifically, but was nonetheless some interesting insight into who our GM actually is as a man. Was enjoyable back ground to some computer work that needed doing.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
It’s catch 22. If he lays out his plan then he is called a liar. I like him shutting up and let actions speak.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Yeah, no. I don't really care about what makes Dorion tick. I want his rationale for the moves he makes, and the overall plan. He regularly goes into hibernation when stuff goes bad. This is a fluff piece.

Lol, don’t like it, don’t listen, it’s pretty simple. This kind of stuff isn’t for you obviously.

The stuff you want has already been given to you. Why you’d want or expect the GM to constantly be in the media saying the same stuff over and over again is beyond me. You were fed the information you need months ago, it’s up to you to process it and find away to be satisfied with it.

The GM should be expected to give media time in regards to the team when he has something to report from the GM chair, and right now we’re waiting for the FA situation to be resolved. There is nothing else that he needs to report or answer for.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Agreed .. I'd rather not listen to the wind bag at all. He talks out both sides of his mouth imo, and I just want to see what he does, not what he says he will or will not do, or why. The whole BS , about 8th day, and one player will never be traded, and have to wait to July 1st to give him an offer, and the rebuild decision post the Duchene trade sequence of events have turned me off even more.. The Burrows extension is still unbelievable as far as I am concerned. Say little; Speak the truth. Hugs and High fives all around

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Lol, don’t like it, don’t listen, it’s pretty simple. This kind of stuff isn’t for you obviously.

The stuff you want has already been given to you. Why you’d want or expect the GM to constantly be in the media saying the same stuff over and over again is beyond me. You were fed the information you need months ago, it’s up to you to process it and find away to be satisfied with it.

The GM should be expected to give media time in regards to the team when he has something to report from the GM chair, and right now we’re waiting for the FA situation to be resolved. There is nothing else that he needs to report or answer for.

Don't worry, I didn't listen. I turned it off pretty much right away once I got the sense what the interview is about. Which is nothing.

It's pretty obvious that the "stuff I want" was not given to me already. That's why we're having this conversation, and I'm not the only one that is asking for more "stuff". You are in the minority here when it comes to being satisfied with PD "stuff". You are easily appeased I guess.

I don't want the same stuff over and over. I want some real tangible answers not lies and double speak. If PD was truthful (to a certain degree) you wouldn't see such a strong backlash against this guy. I don't have anything personal against PD. He seems like a nice guy. But he is bad at his job, and doesn't communicate effectively. If he's so bad at communicating, then go back doing what you do bad (GMing) and have someone else take care of passing on the message.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I'm kind of with @Ice-Tray on this

what do people expect to hear? people sat they want to know what the plan is. Seems we're in a rebuild. What do you want to know? draft strategy? trade targets? guys they want out of the room? most of that stuff we're not getting nor should we. he can't be blabbing in public. all any gm says is looking for a top 4, looking for a top 6.

as far as I can tell he's trying to sign stone and Duchene and he's made a couple of decisions that appear to favour long term development versus immediate 20 best guys on the roster.

I kind of don't need to know any more than that

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
It's a nice interview, if you don't wanna hear about his personal life don't listen to it. I don't think it's a bad idea for this board to humanize him a bit. Regardless of how you feel about his moves, no one should be flipping him off in public or making his daughter afraid of going grocery shopping with him. I definitely agree with the point made earlier, when someone gets promoted for excelling at something else, there's gonna be a steep learning curve. We're riding out his mistakes, we may as well stick with him and see how he improves. I'm not a fan of most of the moves he's made but I do appreciate the situation he's had to work under.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I'm not a fan of PD but he is the GM & that is what GM's do, they build a team they want & can call their own, every GM does it especially when they were crappy the yr before. Every post I read from you is doom & gloom these days, cheer up buddy, it's just a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad