Blue Jays Discussion: The official Davis Schneider Appreciation Society

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Olney was on first up this morning and says he has heard from friends that Ohtani has made up his mind where he is going (likely could have happened a long time ago) and is basically using other teams as leverage to get the most money.

I’d be shocked if he wasn’t a Dodger. A team like the dodgers don’t punt offseasons and let players walk to get under the tax and not ensure they don’t get Ohtani

Texas is a close 2nd for me because of taxes, competitiveness, east division, not a far move and their history with Japanese players (plus other Asian countries - if that means anything to him)

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Olney was on first up this morning and says he has heard from friends that Ohtani has made up his mind where he is going (likely could have happened a long time ago) and is basically using other teams as leverage to get the most money.
omg, now there is an original thought. Now we know why he gets the big bucks and is called an expert.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006

I’d be shocked if he wasn’t a Dodger. A team like the dodgers don’t punt offseasons and let players walk to get under the tax and not ensure they don’t get Ohtani

Texas is a close 2nd for me because of taxes, competitiveness, east division, not a far move and their history with Japanese players (plus other Asian countries - if that means anything to him)
To be fair, there are a lot of experts suggesting that money isn't a big factor. LAD has everything else he is interested in in spades.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Wouldn’t other teams, like the Jays, know about this and back out? I mean, team executives are not stupid. Why be seriously pursuing him if he has already made up his mind? Makes no sense.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Wouldn’t other teams, like the Jays, know about this and back out? I mean, team executives are not stupid. Why be seriously pursuing him if he has already made up his mind? Makes no sense.
From everything that has been said about Ohtani from respected journalists, Olney is making this up. Nobody knows what is going on with Ohtani and if anything leaked, Ohtani would remedy the situation (he would remove anyone close to him that leaked anything and would pivot away from any team that leaked information about what he is doing).

There is absolutely nothing to suggest that Ohtani isn't playing his cards close to his chest. Everyone expects that LAD will sign him, and they likely had a huge advantage to start with, but no one can make an objective statement about his process.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

If the agent does their job right then teams would never know about it or if they do, they find out after they sign.

This happens all the time in sports. We saw it last year with the Yankees and Judge. He was never leaving New York and used the Giants and Padres as leverage and his agent did such a good job, there were reports he signed with San Fran.

Seen it with the Leafs and Tavares and Ortiz and the Red Sox just to name a few.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
If the agent does their job right then teams would never know about it or if they do, they find out after they sign.

This happens all the time in sports. We saw it last year with the Yankees and Judge. He was never leaving New York and used the Giants and Padres as leverage and his agent did such a good job, there were reports he signed with San Fran.

Seen it with the Leafs and Tavares and Ortiz and the Red Sox just to name a few.
The other side of this is that Ohtani is expected to get a huge deal where even if only one team bid, he should still get 45+ per year.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

Just scummy tactics by the agents then. Who cares if he is making 50 or 51 M? when you get to those salary ranges, does a million or 5 really matter at that point? Lol. Yea Ohtani’s life will be so much worse if he is making 50M instead of 52.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Why settle for $450M when you could get $500-550M? Its negotiations 101.
Ohtani values his privacy more than he values a little more money.

Also, there is nothing saying that his agent isn't passing numbers to each team. They are just forbidding anyone involved from publicly disclosing anything (so the Dodgers could know that the Jays are offering something like 450).

Reactions: hockeywiz542

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Just scummy tactics by the agents then. Who cares if he is making 50 or 51 M? when you get to those salary ranges, does a million or 5 really matter at that point? Lol. Yea Ohtani’s life will be so much worse if he is making 50M instead of 52.

We dont know the numbers so hard to say if its 50 vs 52. Maybe its 40 vs 50. Or maybe a team is getting ridiculous and is offering $600M - its worth the agents time to see if his clients preferred destination is willing to get to that offer. Regardless, this shouldnt any surprise if true, this happens in sports and im pretty sure all of us would do the same in his position.

Also, there is nothing saying that his agent isn't passing numbers to each team. They are just forbidding anyone involved from publicly disclosing anything (so the Dodgers could know that the Jays are offering something like 450).

Do you know that for sure? You can value privacy AND money. And even valuing privacy over money doesnt mean leveraging other teams will affect his privacy at all.

Its a capitalistic market, money talks.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
We dont know the numbers so hard to say if its 50 vs 52. Maybe its 40 vs 50. Or maybe a team is getting ridiculous and is offering $600M - its worth the agents time to see if his clients preferred destination is willing to get to that offer. Regardless, this shouldnt any surprise if true, this happens in sports and im pretty sure all of us would do the same in his position.

Do you know that for sure? You can value privacy AND money. And even valuing privacy over money doesnt mean leveraging other teams will affect his privacy at all.

Its a capitalistic market, money talks.
There have been a few comments in the media suggesting that if a team leaks any details about their dealings with Ohtani, he will end negotiations with them.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

L.A. would be right near the bottom of my list if my privacy was that valued. He would be treated like a rock star (and rightfully so).

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
All I know is, we are being setup for an epic meltdown of the fanbase when he signs like a $500 million deal with the Dodgers since it will of course be Rogers being cheap lol

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I doubt Ohtani is really considering Toronto, but if the Jays do sign him, do it the last week of Spring…..we don’t need that media circus.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I doubt Ohtani is really considering Toronto, but if the Jays do sign him, do it the last week of Spring…..we don’t need that media circus.
I'd rather it be in the next couple weeks -- daddy needs to tell the wifey and kids what he wants for Christmas, and Ohtani stuff would be just perfect. :laugh:

Reactions: Habs10Habs

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Ohtani wants there to be no leaks, so we should totally hire a PI to follow him around other cities and leak info about his time there to get him pissed at that team. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad