Blue Jays Discussion: The official Davis Schneider Appreciation Society

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

3rd Username

Feb 15, 2022
A few pages back a writer was mentioned that as-is the Jays are a 72 win team? Gausmann, Berrios, Bassitt and Kikuchi as starters plus the depth of the bullpen does not equal 72 wins no matter what the offense looks like. Ludacris...
That was Richard Griffin, he used to write a baseball column in the Toronto Star & before that was the Expos PR man. Not sure where the comment was made but I'd bet it was a joke. In his column I recall he'd write things such as Rex Hudler having a better radio voice than Vin Scully & then be amused at the people who took him seriously

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I think he was arguing it on twitter after the fact. I'd be quite surprised if it was a joke

Last edited:

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
That was Richard Griffin, he used to write a baseball column in the Toronto Star & before that was the Expos PR man. Not sure where the comment was made but I'd bet it was a joke. In his column I recall he'd write things such as Rex Hudler having a better radio voice than Vin Scully & then be amused at the people who took him seriously
I heard the interview and question on air. He was not joking about the 72 win team lol and was even asked again by the host. I forget what show it was on the radio BUT the host was surprised by that comment!

3rd Username

Feb 15, 2022
I think he was arguing it on twitter after the fact. I'd be quite surprised if it was a joke
Interesting, I might check out his Twitter to see why he thinks that. I assumed it was joke since off the top of my head I can't think of the reasoning for coming to such as pessimistic prediction. Or I won't bother & I'll probably just go back to ignoring most of what the sports media says, lol

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
I now remember the host response included mentioning “even with (named our pitchers and the guys then said even then were a 72 win team lmao

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

Gray
Mikolas
Lynn
Matz
Gibson

Not bad

Eh... it seems mediocre at best to me, especially considering they're going to make a combined $78 million and Matz is the only one under 34. Lynn was a disaster last year, while Gibson and Mikolas both had kind-of-ok peripherals but sucked at actually preventing runs. Matz had an awesome second half, at least.

Reactions: Eyedea

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Eh... it seems mediocre at best to me, especially considering they're going to make a combined $78 million and Matz is the only one under 34. Lynn was a disaster last year, while Gibson and Mikolas both had kind-of-ok peripherals but sucked at actually preventing runs. Matz had an awesome second half, at least.

Overall maybe not, but for their division, it might be the best.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC

Juan-Soto-1.jpg

Juan Soto, Padres OF

The Padres need to cut money and are listening, and the untimely death of beloved and admired team owner Peter Seidler is yet another reason rivals believe the Padres won’t continue to collect stars.
While there’s no likelihood Soto would forgo free agency now — agent Scott Boras and Soto would consider an extension but only at their price, surely well above the $440M he turned down from the Nats — he still has good value. Rivals see the Padres getting two top-100 prospects for him. One caveat: If the Padres somehow get Shohei Ohtani, Soto will surely go. Odds to be traded: 65 percent.
Saw this article other day would be a dream if he came here between Bo and Vlad. It even has potential package base for getting him here.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

habamillions

Jul 9, 2009
Ottawa
I mean its good the jays are trying to be competitive in free agency but do you really want to compete with the dodgers and rangers and spend 50 mil on 1 player?

Reactions: hockeywiz542

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004

Juan-Soto-1.jpg

Juan Soto, Padres OF

The Padres need to cut money and are listening, and the untimely death of beloved and admired team owner Peter Seidler is yet another reason rivals believe the Padres won’t continue to collect stars.
While there’s no likelihood Soto would forgo free agency now — agent Scott Boras and Soto would consider an extension but only at their price, surely well above the $440M he turned down from the Nats — he still has good value. Rivals see the Padres getting two top-100 prospects for him. One caveat: If the Padres somehow get Shohei Ohtani, Soto will surely go. Odds to be traded: 65 percent.
Soto is the guy I would target on offense, him & Vlad are bros. 1 year left until UFA so his price has to be viewed as a rental. But I assume SD wants much more than that (I'd be surprised if they got it especially considering what he turned down already from Washington).

But hinges on where the player wants to extend.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
I mean its good the jays are trying to be competitive in free agency but do you really want to compete with the dodgers and rangers and spend 50 mil on 1 player?

Yep. Not my money, spend it all Rogers. They have the deepest pockets around, no reason they shouldn't be in on any big name if the goal is to win now.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
I think that's a short-sighted way to look at it. It's 50 million towards the luxury tax, but in real money, it would be much less than 50 million because of the extra merchandise he would move.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
San Diego would be a great bounce back spot for Manoah if a trade were to line up between the two teams. Bad year be damned, 4 more years of control and no arb until next year on a CYA finalist would be pretty valuable pickup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Killer Orcas

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Imagine Ohtani in this rotation, wow. Too bad he can’t pitch till 2025 season. Go into a ALDS with Ohtani-Gaus-Bassitt/Berrios. Forget about it, other team.

Last edited:

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Hope they have a big park. Matz gave up a bucket of HRs as did Lynn last year per IP. Not sure about the others though.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I doubt we'll get Ohtani, but one thing Shatkins has always been able to do is convince top tier free agents to take our money (Springer, Ryu, Gausman) so I wouldn't put it past them to make a really good sales pitch and at least have a fighting chance.

Reactions: Habs10Habs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad