Blue Jays Discussion: The official Davis Schneider Appreciation Society

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ale Brew

Feb 24, 2020
Is Richard Griffin a reliable reporter on the Jays lol he doesn’t seem to know what’s going on. He says we need a 1B/DH? Isn’t Vlady a 1B/DH?
He’s been a writer for MANY years. They need a big bat, not necessarily 1b or DH but it wouldn’t be terrible to grab a guy like Hoskins.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Toronto Blue Jays sign 3B Jeimer Candelario (3 years, $39 million) and DH Justin Turner (1 year, $12 million)

The Blue Jays have been linked to Bellinger, which makes sense since they need an outfielder, especially one who hits left-handed. They also need a third baseman with Chapman in free agency. Signing Bellinger and Candelario (or Chapman) would be the best way for the Jays to win the winter, but the problem is their payroll is already only about $10 million to $15 million less than a year ago, so unless they blow past that figure, they're going to be limited. Maybe they shop 2022 All-Star Alek Manoah for outfield help, although they'd be selling low. The Cardinals are a possible match here with their extra outfielders, maybe Dylan Carlson or Brendan Donovan. Turner opted out of a player option with the Red Sox but can still help, with a .800 OPS and 96 RBIs last season.

I would like these moves and contracts. Would hope we would do more though.

Reactions: ktownhockey

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Griffin says some interesting stuff:
-Jays are legit in on Ohtani but no chance they land him. Jays won’t offer $50M+ a year
-The Jays will do something big. He believes they are a 72 win team at the moment and need to make major moves
-Believes there is a legit chance Manoah is moved. At the beginning of the offseason Manoah was working out in Jays gear and now he isn’t. Rich says that usually means the player is hearing he is gone
-Says the Jays could be hearing from the Player’s Union because the 2nd time Manoah was sent down, he now misses going to arb he missed his 3rd year of service time. So he has 4 more years of control
-Thinks Chapman is gone and the Jays will land Candelario because they love his switch hitting bat

Edit: I made a mistake. Not a service time issue but by sending Manoah down a 2nd time he just missed arbitration.

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeywiz542

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
-Believes there is a legit chance Manoah is moved. At the beginning of the offseason Manoah was working out in Jays gear and now he isn’t. Rich says that usually means the player is hearing he is gone
-Says the Jays could be hearing from the Player’s Union because the 2nd time Manoah was sent down, he missed his 3rd year of service time. So he has 4 more years of control
-Thinks Chapman is gone and the Jays will land Candelario because they love his switch hitting bat
Can we contact the players union first and file a grievance over Alek's unplayability?

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
-Jays are legit in on Ohtani but no chance they land him. Jays won’t offer $50M+ a year
-The Jays will do something big. He believes they are a 72 win team at the moment and need to make major moves
-Says the Jays could be hearing from the Player’s Union because the 2nd time Manoah was sent down, he missed his 3rd year of service time. So he has 4 more years of control
A player's union grievance will go nowhere. Manoah was sent down for performance.

Reactions: Ale Brew

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
If there is no chance, then what does being "legit in on" him even mean?

They want him and are doing their due diligence but he questions if they will make the necessary offer to get him. In addition, does Ohtani want to come here?

For me i think it’s a forgone conclusion that Ohtani is getting $500M. The question is not if the Jays will offer $500M to match it, but are they willing to go to $600M. Because if LA is offering $500M, an extra $50M isn’t going to get it done at $550M as Ohtani can make more than $50M in endorsements in LA. So the question is, will the Jays offer $100M more than the next best offer because that’s what i think it will take.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
They want him and are doing their due diligence but he questions if they will make the necessary offer to get him. In addition, does Ohtani want to come here?

For me i think it’s a forgone conclusion that Ohtani is getting $500M. The question is not if the Jays will offer $500M to match it, but are they willing to go to $600M. Because if LA is offering $500M, an extra $50M isn’t going to get it done at $550M as Ohtani can make more than $50M in endorsements in LA. So the question is, will the Jays offer $100M more than the next best offer because that’s what i think it will take.

Unlikely which is sad, Ohtani isn't "worth" that money. No one is but is it an investment that would make Rogers money? Of course... the amount of tickets, jerseys, advertising money brought in would cover his contract cost easily. He would possibly be the biggest star athlete in Canada, ever. Plus a large Asian community that may be introduced to baseball here in Canada. I do think he stays on the west coast for personal reasons which makes sense but Rogers has the funds to write a blank cheque if they wanted.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
I still think Ohtani is a risk. two tommy johns, there's no guarantee that he will be an effective pitcher. he's also gonna be 30, so it's not like you're paying that kinda money for a 25 year old.

I think whatever contract he signs will be either short, like 2 years, next year just to hit, and the year after to see if he can pitch.

IMO any team giving him a crazy long 8-10 year deal will surely regret it.l

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I don't think Ohtani will pick the Blue Jays but he's an anomaly that will generate insane endorsements where ever he goes. If he hadn't gotten this past TJ I think he'd be worth the insane contract he's about to get but no way he goes short term being already 30 with 2 TJs. He'll essentially be just a hitter going ahead because I don't see his arm holding up. The main thing for whatever team signs him it's about keeping him on the field. I like this youtube channel and they made a interesting Ohtani video recently

oh and that Griffen guy sounds like a idiot.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
-Says the Jays could be hearing from the Player’s Union because the 2nd time Manoah was sent down, he now misses going to arb he missed his 3rd year of service time. So he has 4 more years of control

Edit: I made a mistake. Not a service time issue but by 2nd Manoah down a 2nd time he just missed arbitration.
Griffin has always annoyed me, but the Jays currently being a 72 win team sounds particularly hilarious to me.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Candelario and Turner would be great additions. You could rotate both at 3B and 1B/DH.

I'm not really interested in any of the Cardinals outfielders unless its Nootbar or Donavan, but I'd want a prospect with Donavan.

Would love for us to make a play for Lee and maybe Imanaga. I'd kick the tires on Heyward too if he's cheap.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Bo for Tatis would be tempting but it appears he hasn't played shortstop since 2021. He did, however, have 29 DRS in right field this year and we're looking for an outfielder. It wouldn't make sense though cause there's no obvious way to fill the hole at shortstop it would create.
Personally, I want nothing to do with any player suspended for steroid use.

TGB

Jun 7, 2021
Unless Alek's behaviour is really THAT bad, there is no way the Jays are shopping him. He will likely bounce back, and, if he goes, now the Jays have a big hole in their rotation that Tiedman isn't ready to fill, and in two years, the starting rotation is now just Berrios and likely Tiedman. With Manoah, you still got something, and if Bassitt pulls an Estrada, which is very possible he will do, he will be more likely to stick around if he sees three good pitchers still with the team. Now that's a good looking 4 man rotation.

If the Jays are actually considering trading Bichette, which I doubt, it's because Bichette has made it be known he has no intention of resigning with the Jays AND someone has offered them a rather nice package. Consider how many interesting shortstop prospects they have right now, it could be worthwhile to give them a chance to mature into proper MLB players rather than leaving them down on the farm. This is especially true if they manage to nab a good 3B. Combined with Martinez and potential offense from Schneider, which I doubt he'll be able to replicate, plus whatever huge package they could get, I imagine the Jays would consider it a fair outcome for a player that will walk in a couple years and would fetch much less with just one year on his contract. And given the Jays competitive window ends in two years when the starting pitching will just be Manoah, Tiedman, and Berrios, it could be a good idea to load up on big time prospects now rather than later.

But again, I doubt they give up their most consistent hitter when offense was their biggest problem this season. And they could just trade him next year if they must.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Interesting nugget from mlbtraderumors chat.

Mark P
8:54 I think I mentioned this in a chat a few weeks ago, but for some reason, I wouldn't be shocked at Minnesota selling high on Royce Lewis. Maybe if they have concerns about his long-term injury outlook, and if they can get a good controllable young pitcher in return
Young, toolsy third baseman who could possibly play SS or outfield as well. Coming off a breakout year with 15 homeruns and 2.4 WAR. Manoah coming off a bad year, but he's young and controllable with #1 starter upside. Risk for risk challenge trade?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Ohtani and his TJ surgeries would concern me .. that being said, logistically speaking, would there be any way of using him as a reliever in high leverage situations late in games?

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
Ohtani and his TJ surgeries would concern me .. that being said, logistically speaking, would there be any way of using him as a reliever in high leverage situations late in games?

He got the save in the WBC against Mike Trout... that was one of the best at bats I can remember watching as a baseball fan. He could ease back in from Tommy John with save opportunities but that would be up to him. Doubt he volunteers to do that unless it's a playoff type situation. More value as a starter for his own interests $$$$.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Isn't this kind of contradictory? They're legit in on him, but won't offer the money to land him. So they're not really in on him. :laugh:

Not that it matters because I doubt he'd even come here anyways if offered the money. But the whole courtship is more windowdressing than it is actually being a serious "legit" suitor.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Isn't this kind of contradictory? They're legit in on him, but won't offer the money to land him. So they're not really in on him. :laugh:

Not that it matters because I doubt he'd even come here anyways if offered the money. But the whole courtship is more windowdressing than it is actually being a serious "legit" suitor.

Springer would never come here, Gausman would never come here, etc. Or is it just because Ohtani prefers the west coast?

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Springer would never come here, Gausman would never come here, etc. Or is it just because Ohtani prefers the west coast?
I'm just going off of all accounts that he prefers the West Coast.

But I've never understood why a non-American wouldn't view Toronto as one of his best landing spots, if offered a competitive offer. Can be marketed to the entire country with no other teams/players standing in the way. Similarly, all eyes are solely on the team, especially if they are competitive since there is no other pro sports team in the way during the summer months. A great city (and they can't even complain about the winter months). State-of-the-art training facilities, and the Dome continues to be revamped.

On top of that, the Jays have had great relationships in Japan and the Dominican (for ex.) for decades, and their presence and marketability would be even farther reaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad