Blue Jays Discussion: The official Davis Schneider Appreciation Society

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

For nearly a month now, baseball's offseason has operated at a relative standstill. That soon will change. Because the hard reality of every winter in baseball will win out, regardless of the pace at which transactions occur: Teams need players, and players need teams.

Yes, some will take their time, happy to exert leverage. Others, though -- fearful of a market moving unexpectedly and leaving a player without a job or a team with no decent options to fill holes -- will end the posturing and parrying and get deals done.

There are plenty of teams whose offseasons hinge on the right addition. The Los Angeles Dodgers, Texas Rangers and Toronto Blue Jays are chasing the biggest star in the sport, free agent two-way player Shohei Ohtani. The San Diego Padres are entertaining the notion of trading star outfielder Juan Soto. The Atlanta Braves and Philadelphia Phillies are vying for National League East supremacy. The St. Louis Cardinals are trying to avoid mediocrity and the irrelevance that accompanies it.

Reactions: Da Cool Rula

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008

Juan-Soto-1.jpg

Juan Soto, Padres OF

The Padres need to cut money and are listening, and the untimely death of beloved and admired team owner Peter Seidler is yet another reason rivals believe the Padres won’t continue to collect stars.
While there’s no likelihood Soto would forgo free agency now — agent Scott Boras and Soto would consider an extension but only at their price, surely well above the $440M he turned down from the Nats — he still has good value. Rivals see the Padres getting two top-100 prospects for him. One caveat: If the Padres somehow get Shohei Ohtani, Soto will surely go. Odds to be traded: 65 percent.
I keep looking at the Padres as a team to exploit for big time players but they've so heavily backloaded contracts into their early 40's that you don't want to touch any of them. 35 to 40 million a year for most of them is insane. Only other one with a decent contract is Musgrove. Manoah and another piece maybe lol. He's a cheap MLB'er

Gray
Mikolas
Lynn
Matz
Gibson

Not bad

If memory serves Lynn was awful last year. He'd be the 5th starter i'd imagine

Reactions: hockeywiz542

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
San Diego would be a great bounce back spot for Manoah if a trade were to line up between the two teams. Bad year be damned, 4 more years of control and no arb until next year on a CYA finalist would be pretty valuable pickup.
I made my post before getting to this one. It's a hell of a gamble for the Padres but one that could pay off in spades if Manoah turns it around to what he was. If he did we likely lose the trade.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Based on what we have now, it might be difficult to escape the tax if Toronto wants to go for it.

Spotrac estimates that they have as little as 32 million to get under CBT.

That being said, it depends on how much management cares (a winner in a fully renovated dome could potentially bring in significantly higher revenue, but they have to avoid a lame duck season).

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Say what you will about Shapiro, but he has turned us into a financial heavyweight with all the renovations, development infrastructure upgrades and sporting a top payroll. I actually believe when they say we are trying to add a top piece since we clearly are driving up revenues with all the stadium upgrades.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Say what you will about Shapiro, but he has turned us into a financial heavyweight with all the renovations, development infrastructure upgrades and sporting a top payroll. I actually believe when they say we are trying to add a top piece since we clearly are driving up revenues with all the stadium upgrades.
I don't know how much pull he actually has in those financial decisions... I generally believe that Rogers sets a budget (whether for payroll, renovations, etc.) and the team executives work within it.

Beeston talked all the time about how great Rogers was and how they would always give the team whatever they needed, and it turned out he was full of shit the whole time. I don't see why it would be any different under Shapiro.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I don't know how much pull he actually has in those financial decisions... I generally believe that Rogers sets a budget (whether for payroll, renovations, etc.) and the team executives work within it.

Beeston talked all the time about how great Rogers was and how they would always give the team whatever they needed, and it turned out he was full of shit the whole time. I don't see why it would be any different under Shapiro.
From what I can see I think previous front offices were concerned only with putting a product on the field while Shapiro seems more intent on building an entire organization from top to bottom.

Instead of throwing $200 million on the field on day 1 (as everyone wanted) he spent the first few seasons investing in player development and facility upgrades which now affords us the ability to fully support a $200 million payroll (if not way more).

Ale Brew

Feb 24, 2020

I’m not sure we’ll see them consistently use their spending power and remain over the threshold. We’ve just never seen it with this ownership.

However I do believe we’ll spend big this offseason. With the renovations and significant increases in ticket prices, combined with the sour taste in the fan base coming off last season, they really need to create some excitement. How long the spending spree continues only time will tell, but I think they are committed to doing so this year.

Seems unlikely Ohtani would choose us, but I believe they’ll do whatever they can to try and make it happen.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I mean its good the jays are trying to be competitive in free agency but do you really want to compete with the dodgers and rangers and spend 50 mil on 1 player?
for Ohtani, its not my $$, so, spend it all and get the most dangerous hitter in the league.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I’m not sure we’ll see them consistently use their spending power and remain over the threshold. We’ve just never seen it with this ownership.

However I do believe we’ll spend big this offseason. With the renovations and significant increases in ticket prices, combined with the sour taste in the fan base coming off last season, they really need to create some excitement. How long the spending spree continues only time will tell, but I think they are committed to doing so this year.

Seems unlikely Ohtani would choose us, but I believe they’ll do whatever they can to try and make it happen.
Yeah, I agree on your last point. I don't think the rumours of the Jays involvement would be so strong and consistent if they weren't willing to at least put in a competitive bid.

I just think Rogers has a pre-set budget and management works within that, and I doubt there's a whole lot of leeway for them to go to ownership and make a case. Beeston always talked about how "Ownership has never turned down a request for more money", but then we got the pass-the-hat-to-try-save-up-to-sign-Ervin-Santana fiasco, and since then I've been of the opinion that Beeston was either lying about that or he was being technically honest and just leaving out the fact that they never bothered to ask for more than what was budgeted.

And you never know... maybe that's changed under Shapiro, and maybe there are enough different people in charge at Rogers that things have changed on that side. I have no idea.

On the other hand, if there ever was a case to be made for spending outside of the normal budget, it would be for the marketing behemoth that would be Ohtani in Toronto.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
From what I can see I think previous front offices were concerned only with putting a product on the field while Shapiro seems more intent on building an entire organization from top to bottom.

Instead of throwing $200 million on the field on day 1 (as everyone wanted) he spent the first few seasons investing in player development and facility upgrades which now affords us the ability to fully support a $200 million payroll (if not way more).
As a president, whose intentions when brought it was to spearhead all these changes, he's done an excellent job.

However, I had a big issue when he came in and for the first few years meddled way too much with the on-field product. He's since stepped back, allowing Atkins to do his thing while being there as a springboard.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
As a president, whose intentions when brought it was to spearhead all these changes, he's done an excellent job.

However, I had a big issue when he came in and for the first few years meddled way too much with the on-field product. He's since stepped back, allowing Atkins to do his thing while being there as a springboard.
I mean, it's one thing to have a meddling owner or something like that. But I have a hard time complaining about a long-time baseball executive and two-time Executive of the Year coming in and taking the reins of the baseball ops team. Most guys in his role are involved in that stuff.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto

Report: Blue Jays fielding trade calls about Guerrero, Bichette​

Toronto has been getting calls from opposing clubs about first baseman Vladimir Guerrero Jr. and shortstop Bo Bichette, sources told The Athletic's Ken Rosenthal.

Rosenthal writes that "it makes little sense" for the Blue Jays to trade either of their prized stars, but neither of them has signed a long-term contract extension and both are two years away from free agency.

The reported interest in Guerrero and Bichette comes one day after the Blue Jays were mentioned as one of the teams chasing free-agent two-way star Shohei Ohtani.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006

Report: Blue Jays fielding trade calls about Guerrero, Bichette​

A Soto and a Ha-Seong Kim as a starter and I'm listening :)

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

But again, while industry observers do view the Blue Jays as a team to watch in the Ohtani sweepstakes, they’re seen as an underdog with ambition, still trailing the Dodgers by a significant margin. More likely, Atkins will have to pivot and find another way to augment a core that’s badly in need of offence following the departure of four free agents.

It appears likely the Blue Jays will consider a trade for Juan Soto, with Atkins saying he’s “absolutely open” to acquiring a rental player like the 25-year-old outfielder. While the Padres will rightfully expect a significant haul in return, the Blue Jays believe they have enough in their farm system to pull off a significant move.

“It really comes down to the impact,” Atkins said, speaking in general terms. “There’s no aversion to (rentals).”

The GM spoke of the “urgency” to augment the Blue Jays in the short term while adding that “we cannot lose sight of the future.” With that in mind, it’s no surprise the Blue Jays are showing interest in younger free agents like 25-year-old Yoshinobu Yamamoto and 28-year-old Cody Bellinger.

It’s for that same reason that any Bichette rumours must be understood within proper context. Already down four bats, does it really make sense for the Blue Jays to trade away their best offensive player? Sure, other teams may inquire, especially at a time that the free agent market is light on hitters, but that doesn’t mean the Blue Jays have any real interest in completing a deal.

“He’s a really good player, we’re very fortunate to have him and he’s our shortstop moving forward,” Atkins said.

As for Alek Manoah, the Blue Jays have had some trade talks involving the right-hander this month, sources said. But again, that doesn’t mean a deal is likely. Manoah’s throwing again and feeling strong and excited, according to Atkins. Under those circumstances, it’s more likely the Blue Jays keep him and focus on augmenting their lineup.

Where that search lands remains unknown, but based on Atkins’ comments Tuesday, it’s fair to assume it starts at the very top.

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
I wonder what will be in store for us this off-season
The reactions will be over the top for certain so possibly we could

Get another plus outfielder with a potent bat
Or
Do we sign the heralded lefty we all know can stand on his own in the a.l
Possibly
we could go full youth moment and add some depth and lineup potency and pen arms but let the rest be filled by the up and coming kids

Do we do a massive trade or 2

So many options so many Variables

And all the time in the world

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I can't envision us paying a heavy price for 1 year Soto rental, and I can't see the Dodgers missing Ohtani - that's a perfect fit from every angle. I think Bellinger will be a good middle between a big signing but for manageable money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad