Blue Jays Discussion: The official Davis Schneider Appreciation Society

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
You get a little curious if your younger brother doesn't join you .... does he know something we don't? Like Vlad Jr. Isn't here for the long haul? Could be nothing, and simply who has the easier path to the bigs, who promised the most or who is the highest bidder..

Either way. Jays. Do something.

How do we know Jays were even interested?

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
You get a little curious if your younger brother doesn't join you .... does he know something we don't? Like Vlad Jr. Isn't here for the long haul? Could be nothing, and simply who has the easier path to the bigs, who promised the most or who is the highest bidder..

Either way. Jays. Do something.
You mean like how Lourdes didn’t joint his brother. It’s super common bud

How do we know anything. It's off-season, I'm making random uneducated speculation/discussion like every other member. Didn't know about the Soto's, you'd think family member would want to sign together is all I was pointing at.
Brothers in hockey don’t even usually sign to play of the same team.

Reactions: stickty111

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton

Soto-Guerrero for the next 10 years would be insane.

I don’t doubt Vlad gets back to form and also when he views how Soto plays every night, it will raise the standards of the players on the team, and no one more then Vladdy who is competitive.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I love Dan Shulman and Buck but they should strictly stay on the TV. No point in having a simulcast just to be cheap.

also forgot his son ben shulman works there.
I fully agree. The radio requires a different approach. Listening to a TV feed on the radio is just not the same. Wagner was excellent but Rogers just does not value radio.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

Rumours have begun to swirl surrounding the Toronto Blue Jays and their top young stars, shortstop Bo Bichette and first baseman Vladimir Guerrero Jr., but ESPN Baseball Insider Buster Olney is not convinced either player is likely to be traded this off-season.

Olney joined First Up on TSN 1050 on Wednesday to discuss the off-season outlook for the Blue Jays.

"What I'm hearing is, the Blue Jays are not pushing [to trade] those guys," said Olney.

"If someone were to call and throw out an offer, the perception is that the Blue Jays would listen. But folks with other teams don't think they're going to trade either guy."

The 25-year-old Bichette is coming off a third-straight strong year with Toronto, where he hit .306 with 20 home runs and 74 runs batted in and finished 16th in American League Most Valuable Player voting.

His play has earned MVP votes in each of the past three seasons, and All-Star nods in 2021 and '23.

Guerrero Jr., meanwhile, is coming off a second consecutive down year where he hit .264 with 26 HR and 94 RBI in 156 games. He has not been able to recapture his brilliant 2021 season, where he led the majors with 48 HR and finished second in AL MVP voting.

Guerrero Jr. is also eligible for free agency after the 2025 season.

"The Blue Jays are so offensively challenged, and they have holes in their lineup. If you trade Bichette in this moment, you're going to have to replace him with an impact bat," Olney said. "You have to bet that Vladdy has a bounce-back year and that he's more effective."

Another player on Toronto's roster that people are curious about is pitcher Alek Manoah, but once again Olney doesn't believe a trade is likely.

"This would be the worst possible time to trade Manoah, [because] your leverage is going to be at its lowest," he said.

Reactions: Puckstuff

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Soto-Guerrero for the next 10 years would be insane.

I don’t doubt Vlad gets back to form and also when he views how Soto plays every night, it will raise the standards of the players on the team, and no one more then Vladdy who is competitive.
If they were to get Soto there may not be enough money left to sign a 3B but we could use Espinal at 3B or sign someone super cheap like Brian Anderson on a 1 year, 4 million dollar deal until Barger or Martinez is ready, maybe by mid season.

1. 2b - Biggio
2. Ss - Bichette
3. Lf - Soto
4. 1b - Guerrero
5. Rf - Springer
6. C. - Kirk/Jansen
7. DH - Schneider/Horwitz
8. CF - Varsho
9. 3B - B.Anderson/Espinal/Barger

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
If they were to get Soto there may not be enough money left to sign a 3B but we could use Espinal at 3B or sign someone super cheap like Brian Anderson on a 1 year, 4 million dollar deal until Barger or Martinez is ready, maybe by mid season.

1. 2b - Biggio
2. Ss - Bichette
3. Lf - Soto
4. 1b - Guerrero
5. Rf - Springer
6. C. - Kirk/Jansen
7. DH - Schneider/Horwitz
8. CF - Varsho
9. 3B - B.Anderson/Espinal/Barger
It is my opinion than another top player to help Bo and Vlad along with Espinal as a stop gap at 3rd base would help the team more than having two mediocre players. The top of the lineup did not scare any pitchers last season. Espinal had a rough start last season but he's a career 273 batter who is hard to strike out and can run the base reasonably well.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
How do we know anything. It's off-season, I'm making random uneducated speculation/discussion like every other member. Didn't know about the Soto's, you'd think family member would want to sign together is all I was pointing at.
You need to look at the other way too. Maybe Jays didn't want to sign him?

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
You need to look at the other way too. Maybe Jays didn't want to sign him?
“He’s a very interesting prospect, bat first as there’s plus-impact potential — above-average bat speed with potential plus-raw power as well,” a National League international scout told Sherman. “More of a power over offensive profile, not as pure a hitter as Vlad Jr. but comes with the same concerns as he’ll have to watch his body and is a fair athlete as well. There’s thunder in those from the left-hand side.”

An American League executive in charge of international scouting also mentioned that Vladi Miguel is bigger-bodied than Vlad Jr., who was listed at 6-foot-2 and 245 pounds this season but has lost weight in recent years while getting into better shape.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
It is my opinion than another top player to help Bo and Vlad along with Espinal as a stop gap at 3rd base would help the team more than having two mediocre players. The top of the lineup did not scare any pitchers last season. Espinal had a rough start last season but he's a career 273 batter who is hard to strike out and can run the base reasonably well.
Yeah, I much prefer a high-end player plus some filler to two decent players.

Having said that, if they're actually a serious bidder on Ohtani, they presumably have somewhere close to $50 million available to spend. There's no reason they shouldn't be able to bring in Soto (around $30 million) and still add another solid piece.

Reactions: LaP

Ale Brew

Feb 24, 2020
Yeah, I much prefer a high-end player plus some filler to two decent players.

Having said that, if they're actually a serious bidder on Ohtani, they presumably have somewhere close to $50 million available to spend. There's no reason they shouldn't be able to bring in Soto (around $30 million) and still add another solid piece.
I’ve heard multiple reports that they have two different budgets. A unicorn budget in case Ohtani signs and then a lesser budget. I imagine they’d still be able to make a major acquisition though, with Chapman, Belt, Ryu, and KK coming off the books.

Makes some sense too, as Ohtani would bring in considerable revenue that even someone like Soto (despite being arguably as good an add for 2024) likely wouldn’t.

Reactions: Kurtz

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
I’ve heard multiple reports that they have two different budgets. A unicorn budget in case Ohtani signs and then a lesser budget. I imagine they’d still be able to make a major acquisition though, with Chapman, Belt, Ryu, and KK coming off the books.

Makes some sense too, as Ohtani would bring in considerable revenue that even someone like Soto (despite being arguably as good an add for 2024) likely wouldn’t.
Ohtani will require direct ownership approval. It absolutely would require that the Jays have two budgets.

I honestly wouldn't even be shocked if there was a third budget for the rainbow-sparkle unicorn possibility that both guys (Soto and Ohtani) could be realistically acquired.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Ohtani will require direct ownership approval. It absolutely would require that the Jays have two budgets.

I honestly wouldn't even be shocked if there was a third budget for the rainbow-sparkle unicorn possibility that both guys (Soto and Ohtani) could be realistically acquired.
Why stop there, let's go get Ohtani to DH, Soto for LF, and Candelario for 3B! (Would be nice lol)

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

Also on his radio appearance today:

They will start at the top, could include Soto/Adames trades (1 year contracts)

Hoskins could be an interesting fit, Rosario/Taylor not the most exciting but the 2nd/3rd tier fit of a player

BNS's opinion is that Bo/Vlad are very likely to be Jays next season

He thinks the Jays can have that conversation about Soto

Mentions Preller having unique taste in prospects/off the 40 man etc, or young players starting their pro careers

He doesn't think the Jays would trade Tiedemann for Soto, but otherwise you'd have to willing to give up top talent.

They clearly have money to work with

Seems that the Dodgers are most people that BNS has spoken to that expect to land him, other teams are in the mix

Mentions the Rangers, Cubs and Giants as teams in the same tier as the Jays, who are ahead of the Mariners/Padres/Yankees/Red Sox

Jays aren't saying anything, they're being tight lipped

Come on Preller, you know you want a Davis Schneider and Horwitz deal for Soto.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I have a source saying the Jays will make a franchise altering move (likely signing Ohtani and announcing a Soto trade) on December 4th between the hours of 6:30pm EST and 12:30am.

The source:

1701368936553.jpeg

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Why stop there, let's go get Ohtani to DH, Soto for LF, and Candelario for 3B! (Would be nice lol)
Everything Shapiro has suggested is that if the right player becomes available for a price they are comfortable with, they WILL take it to Rogers.

If Ohtani and Soto are available and they come to Toronto, I don't think it would preclude a Candelario at the right price point (and it would be highly likely that they would only approve 1 year). It would preclude signing a Chapman for 20+ on a long term deal though.

Ale Brew

Feb 24, 2020
Everything Shapiro has suggested is that if the right player becomes available for a price they are comfortable with, they WILL take it to Rogers.

If Ohtani and Soto are available and they come to Toronto, I don't think it would preclude a Candelario at the right price point (and it would be highly likely that they would only approve 1 year). It would preclude signing a Chapman for 20+ on a long term deal though.
I don’t disagree from an ownership perspective, but I think Candelaria’s market will be strong making this scenario unlikely. The lowest projections I’ve seen on him are 3 years $45M.

He’s a nice player, but I’d take my chances on Orelvis/Barger/Espinal/Biggio. If necessary they could always bring in a vet at the deadline if nobody in that group steps up.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
I don’t disagree from an ownership perspective, but I think Candelaria’s market will be strong making this scenario unlikely. The lowest projections I’ve seen on him are 3 years $45M.

He’s a nice player, but I’d take my chances on Orelvis/Barger/Espinal/Biggio. If necessary they could always bring in a vet at the deadline if nobody in that group steps up.
Bring me Ohtani and I got no issues with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad