Blue Jays Discussion: The official Davis Schneider Appreciation Society

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
i would be shocked floored completely flabbergasted in the Jays brought in a marquee free agent such a Ohtani.

They always say they're in the mix when there's a massive free agent. It's been happening for what feels like decades. Yet somehow they NEVER land said player.

I can't see it changing.

Also thanks Chappy for not taking that deal. i think jays fans are ready to move on as much as he is, but the strange thing is does he stand to make more money elsewhere or does he just not want to be here anymore?

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
i would be shocked floored completely flabbergasted in the Jays brought in a marquee free agent such a Ohtani.

They always say they're in the mix when there's a massive free agent. It's been happening for what feels like decades. Yet somehow they NEVER land said player.

I can't see it changing.

Also thanks Chappy for not taking that deal. i think jays fans are ready to move on as much as he is, but the strange thing is does he stand to make more money elsewhere or does he just not want to be here anymore?

Jays have landed some really nice free agents recently. Ryu was big back then, Gausman, Springer. Those were all significant free agents that the Jays landed. Ohtani is probably in another tier, but to say Jays never land big free agents is not true.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006

I can't see it changing.

Chapman is predicted to get somewhere around the Springer deal, and the Jays offer was likely less money and less years.

As for the first comment, Toronto has hit on some bigger free agents (Springer, Ryu and Gausman), but they've struggled with posted players (non-existent presence) and it's unlikely that they will touch the Ohtani deal in terms of dollars or years (anything up to the Judge deal and I think the Jays have to be in)

Reactions: Da Cool Rula

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
They'll charge less for things like concessions and gear when people stop buying them at the current prices.
I get the updated spring training hat every time they change it and I drink a couple of beers at most ST games, but I can see how many people are getting priced out.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

I can't see it changing.

Chapman is predicted to get somewhere around the Springer deal, and the Jays offer was likely less money and less years.

As for the first comment, Toronto has hit on some bigger free agents (Springer, Ryu and Gausman), but they've struggled with posted players (non-existent presence) and it's unlikely that they will touch the Ohtani deal in terms of dollars or years (anything up to the Judge deal and I think the Jays have to be in)

There are also cases where the Jays are right there (Verlander) but lose out due to factors beyond their control.

Usually buying players comes with significant risk but the new era Jays have been pretty great at it.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton

I can't see it changing.

Yeah, Ohtani isn't happening. He's most likely going to L.A and will make 50-60 million a year.

Bellinger is good but I'm not sure how enthusiastic I am about a guy who Steamer has projected to be a .770 OPS bat next year. He could be a middle of the order bat but there's some risk that he's just a decent power bat and he regresses.

Soto is the consistent middle of the order bat we need and he won't cost 60 million either. Also Hoskins or even Teoscar would be a nice addition for DH as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kurtz

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004

I can't see it changing.

I'd take Chapman back in a heartbeat on a team friendly deal. While his bat wasn't what many of us including myself thought it was going to be after moving from the Coliseum it's still probably what his replacement will produce and tbe glove is still excellent.

But a team friendly deal isn't happening.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
I like any increase on the pitch clock. It’s not like a rule change for the sake of rule change like the NHL looking to outlaw 1F/2D combos in OT

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Was there an increase in TV ratings during the playoffs? Outside of Atlanta and Dallas did anyone watch the WS?
The pitch clock drove away some fans, like my son and his mates.
I find that really confusing. I mean... I never cared one way or another about the pitch clock because I already loved baseball the way it was, but I can't imagine the reasoning behind not watching baseball because of the pitch clock.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I find that really confusing. I mean... I never cared one way or another about the pitch clock because I already loved baseball the way it was, but I can't imagine the reasoning behind not watching baseball because of the pitch clock.
It was a factor, among others, that contributed to them not watching the pennant races or playoffs for the first time in years.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

At least one rival executive views the Blue Jays as a sleeper for Shohei Ohtani. The execs rationale: Any plans the Jays had to sign Guerrero Jr. and Bichette to massive extensions might now be on hold. Springer’s contract expires after 2026. The team remains in need of left-handed power​

The Jays could sell Toronto as an international city with a growing Japanese population. But one problem for them, and for that matter the Red Sox and Yankees, is that if Ohtani’s priority is winning, he might prefer a club outside the highly competitive AL East. And though the Jays play in Rogers Centre, a ballpark with a retractable roof, teams in the West play in more reliable conditions. Ohtani, as he recovers from his second major elbow surgery, might fear disruptions in his schedule because of inclement weather.

This exec owes the agent a favor. Agent is just using the Jays as leverage.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Ohtani doesn't need more leverage, everyone wants him already.

Agents have to do their job. Everyone wants him but realistically maybe 10 teams put in offers, maybe of those 10, 5 are legit offers/suitors and maybe of those 5, 2-3 of them are of interest to Ohtani. He could get a $600M offer from SD or SF, but maybe he already knows he doesnt want to go there.

If you are a Leaf fan, you remember the Tavares sweepstakes. We all knew it was Toronto or the Islanders. But he met with San Jose because they had the most money (offered $13M AAV), Dallas because they have no state tax and Boston to make the Leafs nervous.

Same thing with Judge. Judge's agent started working in February 2022 before Judge was a free agent putting in a magazine that it is Judge's dream to play for his hometown team; SF. It went down to the wire where SF thought they got Judge but in reality no one had a shot. Judge told his agent, get me the most amount of money you can but i want to be a Yankee. He also turned down the Padres $400M offer for the Yankees' $360M.

As much as Ohtani is wanted, similar to the Tavares/Judge sweepstakes, Ohtani could (probably more likely than could) have told his agent, get me the most money and i want to play in only LA or X or Y. So its all about getting the team you want worried to ensure your preferred destination gives you their best offer.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
It was a factor, among others, that contributed to them not watching the pennant races or playoffs for the first time in years.
It put time a clock on the game. And to make matters worse, the clock violations are managed by incompetent umps.
The other ridiculous thing is the digital strike zone box.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad