Blue Jays Discussion: The official Davis Schneider Appreciation Society

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
The Rangers are probably gonna win the WS and they wouldn’t have even made the playoffs if the Jays had split their 4 game series lol.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The Rangers are probably gonna win the WS and they wouldn’t have even made the playoffs if the Jays had split their 4 game series lol.
Every teams would miss if they would lose all 162 games ;)

I mean it's not a case like Florida in the NHL last season who made it cause the pens could not beat one of Chicago or Columbus in their last two game. Texas won all 4 games against the Jays clean. Those were convincing wins.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
To me, I think it's important to re-sign Hicks. Then we need to get some bats for LF, 3B, and DH/1b. I think you can get away with Biggio/Schneider platoon at 2nd base. I am intrigued at what Atkins can do. He is not afraid to make deals and get his guys, like when he got Chappy and Varsho in back to back off seasons. I am also very open to giving Bowden Francis a shot as the 5th starter. Don’t feel like we need to make any major signings for the rotation this time. Of course, you can’t have enough starting pitching tho.

TGB

Jun 7, 2021
Vladdy isn't going anywhere. The "issues" the team is having with him likely has more to do with his maturity level. For all of the double plays he hits into, he's still an excellent first baseman good for 30 HRs and 90 RBIs a year. He just needs to hit lower in the line up and now we don't need to pay him as much.

As for the free agents:

HICKS: The only one we really need to resign.

RYU: Did exactly what we expected him to do. Covered Manoah nicely. Boras excels at getting his clients overpaid, though, so he'll be looking for another $20 mil, heck maybe $30. And he'll get it.

MERRIFIELD: Looked like a total dolt down the stretch. SO not worth $18 mil.

BELT: Has suggested he intends to retire.

KIERMAIER: Love to resign the guy, but he had a surprisingly good year with very few at bats. At this point he will likely be looking for ways to play longer and with more at bats to get stats that earn higher pay. He will be looking to play on natural grass.

CHAPMAN: Worth keeping around, but same issue as Ryu: He's a Boras client. He's proven to be a great 3B that sits around 240 and 20 HRs, but Boras always gets more than the player deserves. Expect $20mil for 5+ years, and he'll get it. That's a wee bit too rich in my mind, but I'd go for it at 3 years, $15 mil.

CIMBER: I'd say give him another chance if the Jays weren't so stacked with good bullpen options.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
To me, I think it's important to re-sign Hicks. Then we need to get some bats for LF, 3B, and DH/1b. I think you can get away with Biggio/Schneider platoon at 2nd base. I am intrigued at what Atkins can do. He is not afraid to make deals and get his guys, like when he got Chappy and Varsho in back toI
I agree with bringing back Hicks we finally have a great bullpen let's run that part back.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
If Hicks were to come back I imagine its under the pretense of starting. Give him the chance to crack the rotation but if Manoah plays well enough for the team to go 5 deep then at least Hicks can go back to the bullpen on a competitive team.

saska sault

Jun 5, 2010
Sault Ste. Marie
If Hicks were to come back I imagine its under the pretense of starting. Give him the chance to crack the rotation but if Manoah plays well enough for the team to go 5 deep then at least Hicks can go back to the bullpen on a competitive team.

I don't see why Hicks would come back as a starter. He's never pitched much more than 70 innings in a season and a team that wants to contend should not be looking to experiment, he's a solid to great bullpen piece. That itself has a ton of value.

Reactions: Zur En Arrh

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I don't see why Hicks would come back as a starter. He's never pitched much more than 70 innings in a season and a team that wants to contend should not be looking to experiment, he's a solid to great bullpen piece. That itself has a ton of value.

He wants to start. Even if it would be under inning restrictions where he would transition to the pen later in the season.

It’s why I don’t think he’ll come back to begin with. That’s why I said he’ll probably only come back under the conditions that they’ll experiment with him as a starter.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
I believe Hicks would be the first pitcher in modern history to pitch 5 full years out of the pen and then successfully transition to a starter. I can't see it happening especially as his big weapon is his max-effort fastball which would inevitably play down as a starter.

Some team will give him a big offer to close for them, and it just won't make financial sense for our team to match.

Luckily, we'll have Green next year so we'll be fine in that respect.

Reactions: Zur En Arrh

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Vladdy isn't going anywhere. The "issues" the team is having with him likely has more to do with his maturity level. For all of the double plays he hits into, he's still an excellent first baseman good for 30 HRs and 90 RBIs a year. He just needs to hit lower in the line up and now we don't need to pay him as much.

As for the free agents:

HICKS: The only one we really need to resign.

RYU: Did exactly what we expected him to do. Covered Manoah nicely. Boras excels at getting his clients overpaid, though, so he'll be looking for another $20 mil, heck maybe $30. And he'll get it.

MERRIFIELD: Looked like a total dolt down the stretch. SO not worth $18 mil.

BELT: Has suggested he intends to retire.

KIERMAIER: Love to resign the guy, but he had a surprisingly good year with very few at bats. At this point he will likely be looking for ways to play longer and with more at bats to get stats that earn higher pay. He will be looking to play on natural grass.

CHAPMAN: Worth keeping around, but same issue as Ryu: He's a Boras client. He's proven to be a great 3B that sits around 240 and 20 HRs, but Boras always gets more than the player deserves. Expect $20mil for 5+ years, and he'll get it. That's a wee bit too rich in my mind, but I'd go for it at 3 years, $15 mil.

CIMBER: I'd say give him another chance if the Jays weren't so stacked with good bullpen options.
The reason that Vladdy might be gone is the arbitration process itself. His current arbitration estimate for the upcoming season is 20.4M.

Basically, you can't sign him to less unless he accepts it without hitting arb, but he's in line for a 20-ish season then likely a 25-ish season before hitting free agency (if his numbers stay the same).

He took his arb estimate last year on a one-year deal, and unless he accepts a multi-year deal around 20-ish, I think Toronto need to at least be exploring the possibility of moving him.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Trade for Nolan Arenado to play 3B and Sign Gurriel Jr. for LF. If they can find a better defensive LF then Lourdes that can hit, even better. But we needed a right handed hitting LF.

1. RF - Springer
2. SS - Bichette
3. 3B - Arenado
4. 1B - Guerrero Jr.
5. LF - Gurriel Jr.
6. 2B - Schneider/Biggio
7. C - Jansen
8. DH - Kirk/team
9. CF - Varsho

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Trade for Nolan Arenado to play 3B and Sign Gurriel Jr. for LF. If they can find a better defensive LF then Lourdes that can hit, even better. But we needed a right handed hitting LF.

1. RF - Springer
2. SS - Bichette
3. 3B - Arenado
4. 1B - Guerrero Jr.
5. LF - Gurriel Jr.
6. 2B - Schneider/Biggio
7. C - Jansen
8. DH - Kirk/team
9. CF - Varsho
No one expects the Yankees to finish last next year so paying a luxury tax to keep out of the basement is tough.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006

1. RF - Springer
2. SS - Bichette
3. 3B - Arenado
4. 1B - Guerrero Jr.
5. LF - Gurriel Jr.
6. 2B - Schneider/Biggio
7. C - Jansen
8. DH - Kirk/team
9. CF - Varsho
1) You've just made a team with almost no lefties, so I don't think that left versus right matters in that specific case.

2) Free agency will not provide any answers since Kiermeier, Gurriel and Belt are three of the top hitters hitting the market

3) I wouldn't trade for Arenado, because I don't think he'd be readily available and he makes a mint (30.6). For the same price, you could likely get Soto, who plays LF.

We're definitely in a weird spot entering this offseason. We could have been going in with Gurriel and Hernandez entering free agency, but instead we are going in with them as 2 of the better fits for our needs. That being said, I think management needs to gamble on a LF (like Tyler O'Neill who could be a buy low candidate)

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
1) You've just made a team with almost no lefties, so I don't think that left versus right matters in that specific case.

2) Free agency will not provide any answers since Kiermeier, Gurriel and Belt are three of the top hitters hitting the market

3) I wouldn't trade for Arenado, because I don't think he'd be readily available and he makes a mint (30.6). For the same price, you could likely get Soto, who plays LF.

We're definitely in a weird spot entering this offseason. We could have been going in with Gurriel and Hernandez entering free agency, but instead we are going in with them as 2 of the better fits for our needs. That being said, I think management needs to gamble on a LF (like Tyler O'Neill who could be a buy low candidate)
Soto would be nice but they would likely want Vlad or Varsho+ in return and I doubt he makes it to free agency. If you give up Vlad's salary in a Soto deal, then trade for both Arenado and Soto.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
Soto would be nice but they would likely want Vlad or Varsho+ in return and I doubt he makes it to free agency. If you give up Vlad's salary in a Soto deal, then trade for both Arenado and Soto.
Again, I see St. Louis asking for the moon for Arenado. He's one season removed from a 7 win season, signed long term, to a team who wants to compete every year. They would ask Tiedemann and Martinez.

Soto could be available because San Diego is trying to get out of luxury tax hell and because he is one year from free agency.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

If people want their 15 seconds of fame by disrupting a game, by all means, scratch it off your bucket list.

But in doing so, I want to see nothing more in these instances than security just absolutely spearing these people and knocking them into next month. Like this assclown got.

• Haha
Reactions: BallardEra
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad