Blue Jays Discussion: The official Davis Schneider Appreciation Society

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Atkins might not be around;

View attachment 750499

Mets are interviewing James Click. Let’s hope the Jays name him GM before anyone gets too far down the line with him.
Hopefully.

And there’s the difference between a clutch offensive team and the Jays. Atlanta takes the lead.

Also it’s crazy how many great catchers the Jays have let go over the last while. TDA and Moreno.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Atkins they can throw to the fire, give the fans the sacrificial lamb to make themselves feel better. Shapiro is way too valuable with the hundreds of millions of dollars hes convincing Rogers to dump on the Jays for Player Development and Dome upgrades (and Payroll) you do not want to lose out on a corporate whisperer like that who is going to build up our financial might.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Atkins they can throw to the fire, give the fans the sacrificial lamb to make themselves feel better. Shapiro is way too valuable with the hundreds of millions of dollars hes convincing Rogers to dump on the Jays for Player Development and Dome upgrades (and Payroll) you do not want to lose out on a corporate whisperer like that who is going to build up our financial might.
I doubt Shapiro does any of the day to day GMing stuff anyways. He might be the final approver for trades and signings but it’s likely up to Atkins to actually bring those moves to Shapiro’s plate. IMO it’s mostly on Atkins.

Last edited:

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Who is this Jonah guy? Reputable?
Jonah Sigel | LinkedIn

Capture.png

You can find Jonah Sigel's archived LinkedIn profile at the following link:

https://archive.ph/3y8nE

Inside the Toronto Sports Media Scene – Jonah Sigel in conversation with TBP Podcast EP 025

By Mark Silver

March 17, 2021

Being a Toronto sports fan hasn’t been easy for many generations of Torontonians. Of course, the Raptors NBA title was kind of a reset for the city, and there were a couple of crazy Blue Jays runs a few years back, but those were more so the Toronto sports awakening for millennials. For Gen X, in the stretch from 1967 to 1991, hope was just a dangerous word.

The most seminal moments were those back-to-back Blue Jays titles and the anger of the 1993 Leafs’ playoff run. Enter Jonah Sigel, a Gen-Xer who decided to carry the weight of his generation and city on his back. For more than a decade Jonah has faithfully represented Toronto sports fans with his Toronto Sports Media blog, Twitter account @yyzsportsmedia and now his podcast. While he’s not in the media business for his day job as a technology executive, he’s made it his passion to promote transparency in the goings’ on, both with the Toronto sports teams and media outlets, as we discussed in-depth on this episode.

Last edited:

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Gurriel and Moreno two RBIs already. Further nails in Atkins’ GM coffin.
But but Varsho…. He can he can run around the second base .0001 seconds faster then the 82nd fastest player and and and he caught a ball in foul territory that only 86% of mlb players can catch.

Remember all those useless stats everyone was screaming. Bunch of morons

Trade was a f***ing disgrace from day 1.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

So what happened in Minneapolis?

Did a phone ring in the dugout, prompting what appeared to be a rattled Schneider to make the move?

Was the front-office pressure so overt that he felt he had no choice in the matter, despite Berrios dealing with a clear mental and physical edge on Twins hitters?

In the aftermath, Atkins added to the absurdity by denying it was his call and that he had “100% confidence it was not front-office pressure” that spurred Schneider into the erratic action.
Article content

“I was surprised he was coming out,” the embattled GM incredulously added.

Few are buying it, however, as the team’s intent to tightly rein its managers continued. As one source familiar with the Jays front office to dugout dynamic noted to the Toronto Sun: “No one in their right mind believes that (Schneider) made that decision on his own.”

In reality, the disconnect between the front office and the manager’s chair has had varying degrees of volatility for the past seven seasons.

The first manager of the Shapiro-Atkins reign was fan and player favourite John Gibbons, a match doomed to failure from the day it began. The problem for the front office was that the old-school Gibby teams were playoff stalwarts in 2015 and 2016, so it would take two more seasons and a teardown before they could run him out of town.

In his book released earlier this year, Gibby: Tales of A Baseball Lifer, Gibbons described the challenges.

“It was truly so different for me than it had been working with (former GMs J.P. Ricciardi and Alex Anthopoulos),” Gibbons wrote. “Decisions were made, and not only was I not consulted, but they directly changed how I operated.”

In other words, the old-school managerial style had no place. Gibbons further explained that the coercion from the front office demanded a certain passive personality to fit.

“Because some guys are very flexible and they want a job so bad, they’ll do anything to appease everybody to save themselves,” Gibbons wrote. “Not me. I figure bosses should know the real person they’re getting, not some phoney politician.”

Last edited:

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I doubt Shapiro does any of the day to day GMing stuff anyways. He might be the final approver for trades and signings but it’s likely up to Atkins to actually bring those moves to Shapiro’s plate. IMO it’s mostly on Atkins.
When Shapiro first came in, for the first few years he seemed way too invested with the GM'ing side of things. Heck, he was that controlling the moment he came in during 2015 and AA was at the helm. He was made president to preside over the off-field stuff, yet seemed to have his hands in the pie way more than he should have.

Luckily and thankfully his focus and attention has turned to the off-field stuff with the revamping of the Dunedin complex and the multi-phased Dome renos. I'm sure Atkins bounces things off of him, and likely uses Shapiro as the middleman to ownership when it comes to huge budgetary decisions. But it definitely seems like he has ceded control over the day-to-day baseball operations to Atkins, and rightfully so.

Now, will Shapiro have the stones to fire his close friend and working partner for many years? That remains to be seen.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
Jonah Sigel | LinkedIn

Capture.png

You can find Jonah Sigel's archived LinkedIn profile at the following link:

https://archive.ph/3y8nE

Inside the Toronto Sports Media Scene – Jonah Sigel in conversation with TBP Podcast EP 025

By Mark Silver

March 17, 2021

Being a Toronto sports fan hasn’t been easy for many generations of Torontonians. Of course, the Raptors NBA title was kind of a reset for the city, and there were a couple of crazy Blue Jays runs a few years back, but those were more so the Toronto sports awakening for millennials. For Gen X, in the stretch from 1967 to 1991, hope was just a dangerous word.

The most seminal moments were those back-to-back Blue Jays titles and the anger of the 1993 Leafs’ playoff run. Enter Jonah Sigel, a Gen-Xer who decided to carry the weight of his generation and city on his back. For more than a decade Jonah has faithfully represented Toronto sports fans with his Toronto Sports Media blog, Twitter account @yyzsportsmedia and now his podcast. While he’s not in the media business for his day job as a technology executive, he’s made it his passion to promote transparency in the goings’ on, both with the Toronto sports teams and media outlets, as we discussed in-depth on this episode.
My french is pretty rusty but I'd like to think that I'm fluent in Sports Rumours. This translates pretty closely to "some guy being vague and hoping he gets lucky" but who knows.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

All Eyes on Mark Shapiro - Blair and Barker

Jeff Blair and Kevin Barker react to Ross Atkins’ media availability from this past weekend and wonder if there is a scenario where Atkins and John Schneider can continue to work together. The guys outline how there were whispers of dissatisfaction throughout the season talking to some of the players, and wonder what President Mark Shapiro will say and do on Thursday when he is scheduled to speak with the media. MLB Network’s Jon Morosi shares a national perspective on the Blue Jays predicament, before looking at the remaining postseason series, notably Houston-Minnesota and Texas-Baltimore which continue tonight (31:12).

The views and opinions expressed in this podcast are those of the hosts and guests and do not necessarily reflect the position of Rogers Sports & Media or any affiliates.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad