The Official 2023 Hall of Fame Ballot - Update: Scott Rolen the only one going to the HOF

2023 Hall of Fame Ballot - Who should get in?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Surprised that Helton is still not in. Yeah he had the Coors inflated numbers but he was still a beast on the road in his prime. But I guess he aged horribly after age 30. He was on pace to be a 500 home run hitter but after 2003 when he turned 30, he lost his power by a ton. Only two 20-home run seasons (one of them being a 30-home run season). He went from a left-handed Albert Pujols to a Mark Grace, who wasn’t a bad hitter but not HOF material.

Last edited:
Reactions: Say Hey Kid

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Surprised that Helton is still not in. Yeah he had the Coors inflated numbers but he was still a beast on the road in his prime. But I guess he aged horribly after age 30. He was on pace to be a 500 home run hitter but after 2003 when he turned 30, he lost his power by a ton. Only two 20-home run seasons (one of them being a 30-home run season). He went from a right-handed Albert Pujols to a Mark Grace, who wasn’t a bad hitter but not HOF material.
For a player with his overall resume, his HOF path really isn't that unusual. He's a first baseman with 350+ home runs, 1400+ RBI, and a .315+ batting average, pretty superficially similar to Johnny Mize (who was a Veteran's Committee selection) and Hank Greenberg (who took ten elections to get in). Helton has had four elections so far and has made it to 50%+.

yada

move 2 dallas 4 work
Nov 6, 2006
watching happy pony
I bet at least half of the players in the hhof cheated at one point or another. Players from the 50s and 60s were notorious for taking greenies which is basically steroids.

The baseball hall of fame is a complete joke though. I won't even consider it to be a legit hall of fame as long as Bonds and Clemens aren't in.
Well find out in december if bonds or clemens gets inducted. I certainly hope so

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA

Less than 8k ABs is not enough for me.

Cas

Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020

Less than 8k ABs is not enough for me.
9453 plate appearances ranks #125 all-time. There are plenty of absolutely deserving Hall of Famers below that total. The average Hall of Fame batter has 8735 plate appearances.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Does he go in with the Phillies hat (where it ended in bitter fashion IIRC) or the Cardinals hat? He played more games with PHI.

Pretty crazy how few guys are getting into the HOF nowadays.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
oh look, the BBHOF is still a joke. what a shock

rolen is very much deserving, but with the way they're refusing to induct guys these days we're probably only going to have one guy get in every year. anyways, i think he goes in with a cardinals hat

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon

rolen is very much deserving, but with the way they're refusing to induct guys these days we're probably only going to have one guy get in every year. anyways, i think he goes in with a cardinals hat

Helton probably gets in next year, maybe Wagner too. Beltre should be a lock.

Beltran might get a sizable jump as well. "Not first ballot" + the Astros scandal probably dinged him in year 1.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Helton fell like 3 percent short.

He definitely gets in next year. As he should.

Helton, Beltre (zero chance he shouldn't be a first ballot guy) and maybe Wagner for next year.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Agreed. Played 200 more games with the Phillies but he had his best years as a Card and won his sole title there. Also FWIW every article I've read about him lately (running up to the announcement today) has the accompanying picture of him with the Cardinal.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
PlayerVotesPercentYears on ballot
Scott Rolen29776.36
Todd Helton28172.25
Billy Wagner26568.18
Andruw Jones22658.16
Gary Sheffield214559
Carlos Beltran18146.51
Jeff Kent18146.510
Alex Rodriguez13935.72
Manny Ramirez12933.27
Omar Vizquel7619.56
Andy Pettitte66175
Bobby Abreu6015.44
Jimmy Rollins5012.92
Mark Buehrle4210.83
Francisco Rodriguez4210.81
Torii Hunter276.93
Bronson Arroyo10.31
R.A. Dickey10.31
John Lackey10.31
Mike Napoli10.31
Huston Street10.31
Matt Cain001
Jacoby Ellsbury001
Andre Ethier001
J.J. Hardy001
Jhonny Peralta001
Jered Weaver001
Jayson Werth001

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Helton fell like 3 percent short.

He definitely gets in next year. As he should.

Helton, Beltre (zero chance he shouldn't be a first ballot guy) and maybe Wagner for next year.

Yea, Walker getting in finally opened the door for him, the Coors Field bias died down.

Sheffield hopefully gets the call as well. Would be cool if he went in with a Marlins cap; would be the first player to do so.

Also, Beltre would be the 3rd guy with a Ranger cap - only the 2nd after Pudge who spent the majority of their career with the team/had their best years.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

This will be an interesting scenario considering the dude was f***ing despised surrounding the events of his departure. To my knowledge he’s made no attempts to assimilate himself with the alumni and thus the city. Can’t just walk back through the door here without making good.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Ya'll remind me again why Rolen was ousted from Philadelphia? I vaguely remember the issues though, he was a stellar Cardinals player so I believe he will go into the HOF with a Cards cap.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Sorry, but in what world is Scott Rolen a HOF'er but Andruw Jones isnt?

Nothing about Rolen's career screams Hall of Fame except his 8 Gold Gloves, Jones has 10

Yeah its not exact, but the baseball reference HOF monitor for them:

MetricRolenJones
Black Ink010
Gray Ink2747
HOF Monitor99109
HOF Standards4034
WAR70.162.7
6 yr peak WAR43.646.4
WAR per 162 games5.64.6

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Ya'll remind me again why Rolen was ousted from Philadelphia? I vaguely remember the issues though, he was a stellar Cardinals player so I believe he will go into the HOF with a Cards cap.
In short terms he hated it here, hated Larry Bowa, hated management (with good reason), hated the city, and then he went and called St. Louis “baseball heaven.” I think there was a day he asked to not play on a day where the stadium did a t-shirt promotion (Francona was manager at that time).

That’s not to say Philadelphia wasn’t a shitty baseball town because it was, but the perception is very much was that he quit on the franchise as he was supposed to be the first piece to the turnaround. The city will forgive you if you come back and show up and make an effort like Lindros did. Even Terrell Owens. The team does a lot with having their alumni visible, and I don’t recall him ever being part of that.

Cas

Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Sorry, but in what world is Scott Rolen a HOF'er but Andruw Jones isnt?

Nothing about Rolen's career screams Hall of Fame except his 8 Gold Gloves, Jones has 10

Yeah its not exact, but the baseball reference HOF monitor for them:

MetricRolenJones
Black Ink010
Gray Ink2747
HOF Monitor99109
HOF Standards4034
WAR70.162.7
6 yr peak WAR43.646.4
WAR per 162 games5.64.6
I have them very close to each other and both clearly (but not hugely) over the line.

I suspect the difference in voting results lay in Jones' later career being seen as a total disappointment (his last season as a full-time starter was when he was 30), combined with his lower batting average (.254). Both are pretty meaningless - a player cannot play their way out of the Hall of Fame, and the writers should know better than to take batting average at face value.

Rolen really does belong, though - he was an excellent defensive third baseman, a good hitter, had a sizable career (third base is not actually a position players tend to have extremely long careers at), good prime, and a very high peak season. Hall of Fame Monitor is really kind of a joke stat - it was invented almost 40 years ago as a way to quickly dismiss names that were often proposed with hardly any justification for induction (like Babe Herman, Doc Cramer, or Roger Peckinpaugh).

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
In short terms he hated it here, hated Larry Bowa, hated management (with good reason), hated the city, and then he went and called St. Louis “baseball heaven.” I think there was a day he asked to not play on a day where the stadium did a t-shirt promotion (Francona was manager at that time).

That’s not to say Philadelphia wasn’t a shitty baseball town because it was, but the perception is very much was that he quit on the franchise as he was supposed to be the first piece to the turnaround. The city will forgive you if you come back and show up and make an effort like Lindros did. Even Terrell Owens. The team does a lot with having their alumni visible, and I don’t recall him ever being part of that.

Gotta wonder the what if's for Rolen if he did stay. The Phillies were building something in the mid to late 2000's with Howard, Utley and Rollins. Well both parties turned out well for each other, both got rings and they were pretty consistent.

I liked Rolen when he was with the Jays, solid player.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00