The Official 2014 (Annual) Habs Board Mock Draft (Done!)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
:wild :wild :wild

First off, on behalf of the Minnesota Wild organization, I'd like to thank Habsfan18 for once again hosting the greatest mock draft on HFBoards, as well as the city of HF Habs for being the location of this draft.

With the 19th overall selection of the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, the Minnesota Wild are pleased to select; from USNTDP of the USHL, forward Sonny Milano!

image.JPG

Bob McKenzie: Milano taking a bit of a drop here from where we had him projected but this is a fantastic selection by the Wild. Milano is a fine skater with a good stride technique and excellent initial speed burst. He has the tools to be a goal scorer in the NHL and has top six upside, something the Wild could use in their prospect pool moving forward.

Pierre McGuire: Oh my Goodness, way to go Guy Lapointe and the rest of the scouting staff in Minnesota. Sonny Milano, born in Massapequa, is the first player from the Empire and Garden states since Kyle Palmieri was drafted by the Anaheim Ducks back in 2009. He made some rumblings back when he was playing in the TI Elite Midget league for the Cleveland Barons and people knew then that this kid had something special. Some scouts have told me that while the lack of size is a constant concern, Milano does not fall into that category despite being 5'9. He is a bulldog out there, very tenacious and he plays with his heart on his sleeve. He has the offensive-minded abilities to excel at one-on-one battles and has the vision and the IQ to both set up plays and finish them. He needs to continue adding on weight and mass to his smaller frame and his work in all three zones needs to and will improve but this is an excellent pick.

Darren Dreger: Sonny Milano may or may not blossom into his ceiling of a top six forward but he's improved since Danton Cole became his coach. His lateral movement and speed were good before but they have drastically improved since. They both know that Milano needs to be better defensively and they've spent a lot of time studying tape and going over tendencies and Cole spoke with me about how Milano wants to improve and will spend countless hours watching the same footage over and over again.

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
One off my list, although he was least likely to be available. #2 of 4 on my list.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
If the Habs could get their hands on Milano, the talent level will reach another level. Great pick CS.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
:kings

With the 20th overall pick. The Los Angeles Kings are proud to select from the Södertälje Sportklubb of the HockeyAllsvenskan, forward,

David Pastrňák

HA295_David_Pastrnak_Front.jpg

Aka "Smiley"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTmUEOQQsSI

Future Considerations

Pasternak is a flashy, electrifying offensive talent with gifted hands and shiftiness in his feet. He also has a bullet shot and is a very dangerous finisher. He uses quickness and good lateral elusiveness to avoid bigger opponents. (August 2013)

TSN Director of Scouting Craig Button:
Pastrnak's ability to challenge defenders with his skating from both straight-ahead and darting positions makes him dangerous. He has very good hands and is always looking to create scoring opportunities.

Boom or bust kinda guy but has shown he could create offense against men in the Allsvenskan. Will have to improve his 2-way game and gain some weight. That said, all stuff is easier to develop than talent.

Kings have good depth all-around and can afford to take on a bit of a project who could be money down the road if his offensive game translates.

Les Canadiens de Montréal sont maintenant sur la clock

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Great thing about the "speed" of this draft is that I'll be able to finish my whole list before I choose my next guy...You guys are the best...:D

eaglesmaster

Sep 20, 2008
:habs

We would like to take this opportunity to thank Habsfan18 for running this mock draft. With the 21st overall picks the Montreal Canadiens are proud to select, from the Swift Current Broncos of the WHL, Defenceman Julius Honka.

julius_honka_finland_080713.jpg

Julius Honka may be a bit small for the liking of some of our fans, but his talent and skills are undeniable. Honka is a tremendous skater, very quick and elusive, but what stands out most are his high end offensive skill and his superb hockey sense. His defensive game needs some refinement, but we are confident that his game will translate to the NHL and at the very least he will have a big role on the powerplay, if not 5 on 5.

*zaluty has been pmed

MarkovtoSubban

Mar 11, 2009
Toronto
Couldn't pass on Kapanen at 16 but really wanted someone to take him to so I could take Honka.

So smooth, tougher than he looks and runs a powerplay like he's sitting in a rocking chair.

Nice pick for the Habs.

MarkovtoSubban

Mar 11, 2009
Toronto
LOL...Valid in what sense? Get back to us in 15 years..not 15 months. There's been no indication yet that Nichushkin will be a better NHLer than any of the top five picks.

Valid in the subjective, non-scientific survey of one person sense.:)

So how about this Kapanen kid? How good could he be?

Not overwhelming at the U-18. Playing hurt? How far could he slide? Late 1st maybe?

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Whipped up a little something so it's easier to PM guys after your selection. Hopefully HabsFan18 can add it to the first post.

Team Name | General Manager
Anaheim|
Blind Gardien​

Boston |
Dr Gonzo​

Buffalo|
habsprospects​

Calgary|
hototogisu​

Carolina |
Whitesnake​

Chicago |
le_sean​

Colorado|
DekeLikeYouMeanIt​

Columbus|
TinordiandSubban​

Dallas |
WeThreeKings​

Detroit |
That​

Edmonton |
Habitants​

Florida |
Jeffrey​

Los Angeles |
Mathletic​

Minnesota |
Crimson Skorpion​

Montreal |
eaglesmaster​

Nashville |
Grant McCagg​

New Jersey |
Et le But​

NYI |
Overlords​

NYR |
Monctonscout​

Ottawa |
Ohashi_Jouzu​

Philadelphia |
NLHabsFan​

Phoenix |
QuebecPride​

Pittsburgh |
HomaridII​

San Jose |
IceDaddy​

St. Louis |
One Man Rock Band​

Tampa Bay |
zaluty​

Toronto |
Watsatheo​

Vancouver |
Habsfan18​

Washington |
JHabs​

Winnipeg |
yoteshot​

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Whipped up a little something so it's easier to PM guys after your selection. Hopefully HabsFan18 can add it to the first post.

Anaheim|
Blind Gardien​

Boston |
Dr Gonzo​

Buffalo|
habsprospects​

Calgary|
hototogisu​

Carolina |
Whitesnake​

Chicago |
le_sean​

Colorado|
DekeLikeYouMeanIt​

Columbus|
TinordiandSubban​

Dallas |
WeThreeKings​

Detroit |
That​

Edmonton |
Habitants​

Florida |
Jeffrey​

Los Angeles |
Mathletic​

Minnesota |
Crimson Skorpion​

Montreal |
eaglesmaster​

Nashville |
Grant McCagg​

New Jersey |
Et le But​

NYI |
Overlords​

NYR |
Monctonscout​

Ottawa |
Ohashi_Jouzu​

Philadelphia |
NLHabsFan​

Phoenix |
QuebecPride​

Pittsburgh |
HomaridII​

San Jose |
IceDaddy​

St. Louis |
One Man Rock Band​

Tampa Bay |
zaluty​

Toronto |
Watsatheo​

Vancouver |
Habsfan18​

Washington |
JHabs​

Winnipeg |
yoteshot​

That is excellent man. It kills me for like 10 minutes trying to find the poster to PM next.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario

Anaheim|
Blind Gardien​

Boston |
Dr Gonzo​

Buffalo|
habsprospects​

Calgary|
hototogisu​

Carolina |
Whitesnake​

Chicago |
le_sean​

Colorado|
DekeLikeYouMeanIt​

Columbus|
TinordiandSubban​

Dallas |
WeThreeKings​

Detroit |
That​

Edmonton |
Habitants​

Florida |
Jeffrey​

Los Angeles |
Mathletic​

Minnesota |
Crimson Skorpion​

Montreal |
eaglesmaster​

Nashville |
Grant McCagg​

New Jersey |
Et le But​

NYI |
Overlords​

NYR |
Monctonscout​

Ottawa |
Ohashi_Jouzu​

Philadelphia |
NLHabsFan​

Phoenix |
QuebecPride​

Pittsburgh |
HomaridII​

San Jose |
IceDaddy​

St. Louis |
One Man Rock Band​

Tampa Bay |
zaluty​

Toronto |
Watsatheo​

Vancouver |
Habsfan18​

Washington |
JHabs​

Winnipeg |
yoteshot​

Great idea! Added to the OP.

JHabs

HFB Partner
Dec 14, 2007
Montreal
twitter.com

Anaheim|
Blind Gardien​

Boston |
Dr Gonzo​

Buffalo|
habsprospects​

Calgary|
hototogisu​

Carolina |
Whitesnake​

Chicago |
le_sean​

Colorado|
DekeLikeYouMeanIt​

Columbus|
TinordiandSubban​

Dallas |
WeThreeKings​

Detroit |
That​

Edmonton |
Habitants​

Florida |
Jeffrey​

Los Angeles |
Mathletic​

Minnesota |
Crimson Skorpion​

Montreal |
eaglesmaster​

Nashville |
Grant McCagg​

New Jersey |
Et le But​

NYI |
Overlords​

NYR |
Monctonscout​

Ottawa |
Ohashi_Jouzu​

Philadelphia |
NLHabsFan​

Phoenix |
QuebecPride​

Pittsburgh |
HomaridII​

San Jose |
IceDaddy​

St. Louis |
One Man Rock Band​

Tampa Bay |
zaluty​

Toronto |
Watsatheo​

Vancouver |
Habsfan18​

Washington |
JHabs​

Winnipeg |
yoteshot​

This deserves an award or something. Thanks

zaluty

May 30, 2007
Kingston
Would like to thank habsfan18 for putting on this draft again and onemanrockband for the quick link to everyone.
With the 21st pick of the 2014 NHL draft the Tampa Bay Lightening are pleased to select from Red Deer of the WHL 6"1 centre Connor Bleackley

From Future Considerations
Bleackley is a nice blend of size, skill and speed. He's strong and balanced on his skates, uses his size to his advantage and has a very good shot with his quick release. He finds lanes and soft zones well and has quick hands in tight spaces.

Chicago has been pm'ed

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
4 before until me... and I have 3 guys left on my list... what are the chances?

I'm kinda hoping 1 of them falls to my early 2nd rounder. :laugh:

Last edited:

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
:hawks :hawks :hawks

With the 23rd overall pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, the Chicago Blackhawks are extremely happy to select from the USNTDP, forward Dylan Larkin

Larkin_Dylan3_large.jpg

We almost started running to the podium. This was our target from Day 1. Dylan is a high intensity player with fantastic skating ability. He likes to play a North-South game, does not shy away from contact and will shoot first. He's a highly intelligent player and one that has the desire to win. He is the type of player you win playoff games with. He will fit in well with the group we have now. Guys like Hartman and Danault provide a similar gritty, two-way ability. He is committed to Michigan.

HomaridII has been PMed.

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
With the 24th pick in 2014 NHL draft the Pittsburgh Penguins select Nikolay Goldobin.

Goldobin is a decent size winger, great skater, elite stickhandler, creative passer with an elite wrist shot. He is outstanding in the power play and has absolute top level hockey sense on offense. He produced for a very bad Sarnia team, factoring in almost half their offense. In addition he was one of the top players on the ice during the prospects game.

We are confident we can work on his consistency and defensive play and believe his skills will allow him to transition to the NHL sooner rather than later.

Next person has been PMed.

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Thank you for taking him. I was debating about him long ago, but I really hate the fact that he makes Mike Ribeiro look like a defensive wizard. His offensive talent is so crazy though and so hard to pass on, but you taking him makes it easy.

I have a clear cut favourite for my pick, plus three guys that I'm hoping I can nab one of in the 2nd round.

9 picks, 2 are mine. A list of 4 guys. Here's hoping.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Thank you for taking him. I was debating about him long ago, but I really hate the fact that he makes Mike Ribeiro look like a defensive wizard. His offensive talent is so crazy though and so hard to pass on, but you taking him makes it easy.

For me, the infinite debate is....Josh Ho-Sang or Goldobin.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
In this scenario Chicago would once again get one of the steals of the first round...just like Teravainen at 17th overall, Larkin would be larceny at 23rd.

Despite playing with a shoulder injury, Larkin was excellent at the U-18's, especially in the big games. Great skater, very competitive, smart two-way center. Has a shot at being a solid second-line center down the road. I now have him ranked 12th overall. A couple of scouts I talked to were hoping the shoulder injury might keep him from being noticed by the scouts and GM's who hadn't seen him, but that was not the case. He's right in McCann's range now in the rankings..some comparables on their future projections as 2nd-3rd line centers with similar size and two-way abilities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad