The Official 2014 (Annual) Habs Board Mock Draft (Done!)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
I see him as the ultimate boom or bust.

He is my personal favorite for this year draft. I know some people would have him in their no draft but to me he has shown me he has the skills to play with the big boy. The rest will depend on him and his willingness to compete with the best. I compare him to our own PK before he was drafted. Everybody knew PK was incredible offensively but most comments I read about him were there is non D in PK Subban or PK is certainly not for penalty kill. The habs loved his character and undeniable offensive flair and took a chance with him and now he is one of the most dominant defenseman in the NHL.
I see the same traits with Ho Sang, off the chart hands, skating, playmaking skills. He has the willingness to go in front of the net and crash the net to get rebounds altough he is 165 pounds. He is clearly not the finished product. He is a raw diamond that need to be polished but you can't teach his offensive skills and if you think he has the character to become a top line player. You just take him!

I think the habs fans would love to see him undress other team players like they love PK now.
Subban always had character and heart - something I don't see much of Ho-Sang. Talent is there, don't get me wrong. But which Ho-Sang will show up when it matters?

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
McKeown is just not my type of player. I disagree with "smartest" comments. I find his decision making well below the level of his peers in this draft and that's saying something.
This is kind of my observation as well. For a guy that is supposedly so smart, he does make a lot of poor decisions, I find. Or maybe it just seems like a lot because we're expecting him to not make (m)any, and every young d-man does? I don't know. I would have probably picked a different player if it was just for me and my personal tastes, but I found myself choosing between McKeown and Ho-Sang, just because they seemed like "value" for 28th, and I probably haven't seen the guys I think I like better enough to nitpick their games as much as I have McKeown and Ho-Sang. :dunno:

That and after taking a home-run swing at #10 on a very incomplete player in Fiala I felt like I had to stay a little more conventional with the next pick. :dunno:

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
This is kind of my observation as well. For a guy that is supposedly so smart, he does make a lot of poor decisions, I find. Or maybe it just seems like a lot because we're expecting him to not make (m)any, and every young d-man does? I don't know. I would have probably picked a different player if it was just for me and my personal tastes, but I found myself choosing between McKeown and Ho-Sang, just because they seemed like "value" for 28th, and I probably haven't seen the guys I think I like better enough to nitpick their games as much as I have McKeown and Ho-Sang. :dunno:

That and after taking a home-run swing at #10 on a very incomplete player in Fiala I felt like I had to stay a little more conventional with the next pick. :dunno:
Show me a junior defenseman that doesn't make mistakes.

Subban made umpteen more mistakes and McKeown at the same age.

The issue with McKeown is that he's a two way guy, but not flashy. His offensive game will never cover up for his mistakes like they do for other defenseman in the draft.

Also, the pressure got turned up a lot this year when Kingston began struggling mid-season. He didn't respond well to pressure there or in the World Juniors, which is why I think he'll be a second pairing guy - but one of the best in the league.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I took the liberty of changing the "Officially underway" subject line to include a "#30 NJ up" indication... just thought we have enough mods here we could probably keep that up for quick-look checks of the thread title from the forum without it getting misleadingly out of date... :dunno:

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
2q1b4uq_jpg.gif
2q1b4uq_jpg.gif
2q1b4uq_jpg.gif

"First of all, the Bruins do not want to thank HF Habs and especially Habsfan18 for making this all possible. We do not applaud your hard work and dedication. Deal with it.

With the 29th overall selection in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, the Boston Bruins are mildly excited to select, from the Windsor Spitfires of the Ontario Hockey League, forward Josh Ho-Sang"

josh_ho_sang_windsor.jpg

Even though there has been some concern about his work ethic, Joshua will bring a plethora of talent to the table. Either he'll learn the Bruins way, or we'll feed him to Chara during an intermission instead of the poor calf we usually sacrifice. We really liked the numbers we saw from Joshua against the London Knights in the OHL playoffs. 15 games is quite the feat."

Et Le But has been PMd, so he can go ahead and make his illegitimate 1st round pick.

52514906-claping-.gif

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
With the 30th overall pick, the New Jersey :devils select, with their sympathy pick, from Frölunda HC of the Swedish Hockey League, Anton Karlsson.

karlsson.jpg

Karlsson is an intense competitor with great upside. He is tough to play against and gives us both skill and two way play on the wings.

Buffalo is on the clock.

Last edited:

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Scherbak is a first-round wildcard. He really brought his game along as the season went on...some teams like him quite a bit. He could go anywhere from the low teens to the end of the first I think..but may also end up being one of the better prospects from the draft. One scout was telling me that he might be playing in the NHL next season.

habsprospects

Nov 24, 2003
Sherbrooke, QC
habsprospects.com
You guys need to stop putting me on the clock just before I'm about to go to bed lol.

1l9vSEV.jpg

With the 31st overall pick, the Buffalo Sabres are proud to announce the selection of Center Jakub Vrana from Linköpings HC of the Swedish Hockey League.

Dave Torrie said:
He plays with determination and drive, has an excellent work ethic and is a very fast skater with excellent all-round skills. His arsenal features a quick accurate release that can fool opposing goaltenders and his ability to find the scoring areas cannot be taught.

Last edited:

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Scherbak is a first-round wildcard. He really brought his game along as the season went on...some teams like him quite a bit. He could go anywhere from the low teens to the end of the first I think..but may also end up being one of the better prospects from the draft. One scout was telling me that he might be playing in the NHL next season.

Wow, quite the intriguing perspective from that scout. I've spent a fair amount of time at Blades games this year and he's absolutely stood out as a difference maker. He's relatively well liked by his teammates and I've heard nothing but glowing reports on his work ethic and physical abilities. I've really enjoyed watching him and I think he could be a very solid addition for the Good Guys. I'm not sure he's NHL ready though, that would mean a pretty huge jump in his development (In my non-professional opinion).
Thanks for the insight Grant.

Ehlers went higher than I expected....

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
:panthers
The Florida Panthers are proud to select with the 32nd pick from the Green Bay Gamblers of the USHL.

C/RW : Nick Schmaltz

nick_schmaltz_640original_128785.jpg

Analysis

Nick is a very agile skater with good vision and a decent shot. He is willing to put the work defensively but he is still raw. He is good at everything but not great. He will benefit from playing a couple seasons with his brother at North Dakota as he needs to get bigger.

The Saint Louis Blues and One Man Rock Band are now on the clock.

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
:blues :blues :blues

"With the 33rd overall selection in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, the St. Louis Blues are very excited to select, from the Edmonton Oil Kings of the Western Hockey League, center Brett Pollock!"

1297510502219_ORIGINAL.jpg

"We feel that Brett fits our obvious need down the middle. Brett is a very good player who brings good size. He works extremely hard in all the zones. After getting a chance, he put up big numbers in an offensive role down the stretch.

Most importantly, we hope he fills our need of NOT sucking in the playoffs like we have been. We don't want to become the next San Jose Sharks, so taking a guy who has produced incredibly when it matters is super important to us.

Welcome to the Blues, Brett."​

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
:flames:flames:flames

With the 34th overall pick the Calgary Flames are pleased to select from the U.S. National Team Development Program defenseman Jack Dougherty.

Dougherty_Jack_medium.jpg

Jack is a smart, rangy defenseman with good size who thinks a defense-first game but has also shown impressive offensive instincts. His physical game is starting to round into form as well. His ability to play both sides of the puck reminds us of Ryan McDonagh, and not just because he's committed to McDonagh's old alma mater, the U. of Wisconsin.

Next GM has been PM'd.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
:blues :blues :blues

"With the 33rd overall selection in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, the St. Louis Blues are very excited to select, from the Edmonton Oil Kings of the Western Hockey League, center Brett Pollock!"

1297510502219_ORIGINAL.jpg

"We feel that Brett fits our obvious need down the middle. Brett is a very good player who brings good size. He works extremely hard in all the zones. After getting a chance, he put up big numbers in an offensive role down the stretch.

Most importantly, we hope he fills our need of NOT sucking in the playoffs like we have been. We don't want to become the next San Jose Sharks, so taking a guy who has produced incredibly when it matters is super important to us.

Welcome to the Blues, Brett."​

Why do I get the feeling that somebody was hoping to take Pollock, oh say, 37th? :)

Okay...NOW I got why you said SORRY....I suck at that game...way too much of an open book.....Even any Leafs GM would have fun with me....

Oh by the way....GREAT PICK...blah-blah-blah.....

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Why do I have a feeling Overlords will take my player?

Personnally, I have 3 players in mind and I'm picking 3rd. If somebody gets all of my picks, well they are the Marc-André Fleury of Mock draft by picking 2 guys with 1 pick....like giving 2 goals in 1 OT.

Obviously there's 2 players I really really really want....but that will surely be gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad