The Official 2014 (Annual) Habs Board Mock Draft (Done!)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
I think that with work, if somebody makes his pick at midnight...still impossible for me, for example, to pick during day time....supper....and then it's 8PM. Very easy to NOT pick for 20 hours. Mind you, I'll blame this on being in the playoffs, it has picked up since we were not playing....

That too.

I've participated in a few other drafts over on the Mock Draft forum over the years and some had instilled a freeze period, meaning there was a 12-hour time limit but the clock stops from say midnight to 6am, to prevent the clock from running out at times where it was impossible to pick.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
I think that with work, if somebody makes his pick at midnight...still impossible for me, for example, to pick during day time....supper....and then it's 8PM. Very easy to NOT pick for 20 hours. Mind you, I'll blame this on being in the playoffs, it has picked up since we were not playing....

I get the work excuse..but if you commit to this...I don't think it's unreasonable..if your pick was coming up before you went to bed..to take five minutes in the morning to post your selection before you go to work..even if it's without all the bells and whistles like a pic and a long diatribe. You managed to take time this morning to post on here..so don't say it's impossible WS. ;)

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, the drop-offs suck. I get annoyed if someone was online during their pick and then doesn't make it for 6 more hours lol.

But people have lives. I check HF on break during placement, so I have lots of time. I also know my shortlist off by heart.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
That too.

I've participated in a few other drafts over on the Mock Draft forum over the years and some had instilled a freeze period, meaning there was a 12-hour time limit but the clock stops from say midnight to 6am, to prevent the clock from running out at times where it was impossible to pick.

A freeze period (or grace period, I guess) could work really well. I'm a night owl, so it doesn't really affect me, and I wouldn't know what to suggest. Midnight to 7am, maybe? If people within 3 picks sent lists of 3 players (in order of preference) to a mod before they went to bed, though, it would speed up the process even further. Guaranteed to get one of your guys, the mods can work together to insert the picks and help get the write-ups edited later, and at least 3 more picks could be sorted out every morning before everyone wakes up.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I think we usually give people a break between midnight and 7am or so. But then if you don't get your pick in the entire following day by like 8pm...then you're probably a risk to get auto'd.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I think we usually give people a break between midnight and 7am or so. But then if you don't get your pick in the entire following day by like 8pm...then you're probably a risk to get auto'd.

If it were up to me, I'd be pretty strict about a 12 hour limit after the grace period ends. 8pm is fine if 8am is when the clock "turns back on". Losing 7-8pm is losing an hour of prime time for a lot of drafters though, I'd imagine, and there's almost no excuse for not having a list sent to someone well before that, imo. Even with the understanding of "real life stuff", going from midnight until 7pm without doing anything (especially when you're within 3 picks) is kind of bad form, and below the standards of past efforts.

JHabs

HFB Partner
Dec 14, 2007
Montreal
twitter.com
FYI - I'm keeping an eye on the draft, I'm at work but if my pick does come up bare with me I'll post a boring pick with the write up being later. :)

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Nevermind.....eyes are playing tricks on me. Sanheim was a good pick that late (and would have been my pick at 42)...he's pretty much a shoo in to be a first round pick now..not sure anyone has risen as much as he did in the past six months... a la Morin last season.

Last edited:

eFFeRR

Major League Hockey
Dec 11, 2013
Have you guys ever thought about giving everyone a grade for past drafts? Perhaps ones that are atleast 3 years old?.

It would be cool to see who has done well.. and who hasn't.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Crazy....this is the top 50..what's it going to be like in the 6th or 7th round?

Personally i think the time limit should be 8 hours for the top three or 4 rounds..and if there has been no contact before or during that 8 hours..someone else makes the pick. If you think you're not going to be available for your pick coming up....let the board know when you will be able to make the pick...then people at least we don't have to keep logging on for 12 straight hours waiting for one bloody pick that never comes. Leave your top three picks with someone else to post for you if you will be unavailable in the 8-hour period and your pick is coming up.

Hell - I made my first selection during a Habs playoff game. I made a commitment to this..all 30 drafters should do the same. Less time between picks if there has been no communication would be my suggestion.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Just set up a calendar with 1-hour timeslots. 16 picks per day. (midnight-8am off). Then if somebody knows in advance that they can't make their timeslot, they can provide their candidates to somebody else. Draft takes 2 weeks. :dunno:

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
?? So - send a message ten minutes before the 12-hour period is up..and you get an undetermined reprieve? LOL...this is getting even more ridiculous.

I stayed at home today because I did't want to delay the draft 8 hours as I'm the next pick and not able to go on HF when I'm on the road...figuring I'll go out after my pick....check back every hour, decided to wait..and wait......complete day wasted. And it's a moderator no less, who gives no heads up to anyone that he'd be 'busy" all day. I'm beginning to see why some people chose not to do this again.

Last edited:

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Yeah I wouldn't sweat it too much. The pace in previous years has always been great. A couple of hiccups along the way but that's like in any draft.

Besides, at least this year we still have Habs playoff hockey to discuss in the meantime when we're not talking prospects :D

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
With the 41st Overall Pick, the New Jersey :devils select, from Baie-Comeau Drakkar, defenceman Alexis Vanier

1310896025899_ORIGINAL.jpg

?? So - send a message ten minutes before the 12-hour period is up..and you get an undetermined reprieve? LOL...this is getting even more ridiculous.

I stayed at home today because I did't want to delay the draft 8 hours as I'm the next pick and not able to go on HF when I'm on the road...figuring I'll go out after my pick....check back every hour, decided to wait..and wait......complete day wasted. And it's a moderator no less, who gives no heads up to anyone that he'd be 'busy" all day. I'm beginning to see why some people chose not to do this again.

This whole thing is for fun. Sometimes, real life gets in the way of fun, and with all due respect, I'm not going to put you ahead of my personal and career issues. Sorry if my mind was elsewhere instead of checking to see when my pick was going to be today.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
With the 41st Overall Pick, the New Jersey :devils select, from Baie-Comeau Drakkar, defenceman Alexis Vanier

1310896025899_ORIGINAL.jpg

Good pick. Some will say too early, I don't believe he is. I know CSS is sleeping on the job. 112th? He did injured himself in March ending his season, so that could affect his rank and he might not go as early...but I believe there's A LOT of potential there.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

Grant, I'm been a part of this for quite some time now. And this is the first year that I see the first 2 rounds to be slower than normal especially with top notch posters. Before, we had anybody and would get burned, guys not even checking and all. This year, it has been slower. Though it picked up at one point lately, but it is slower. Yes, I made my pick, but just because it happened that I had to stay at home to wait for my plumber...but regularly, I'm gone to work. But also, and I have no merit, because I'm probably more crazy about kids (geez....not sure how that sounds...), than pros. Like the Habs, love the pros, but I,m even more interested in prospects, our prospects, anybody's prospects than the pro game. Of course....the Habs aren't exactly build right now like the kinda of team I'd like to see so that could be a reason....But if NHL draft day is my Christmas...well it has to be an indication of dedicated I could be. But it's just me. Have no merit, just a preference. Others do decide to participate but we can't expect everybody to have the type of commitment we have or that while available, workdays are tough to overcome. True that I'm a little worried about the last rounds....but we'll see when we get there. I know what you mean....I'M eager as hell to make my next picks too but I don't think we've ever finished a mock in 2 weeks....It will take a month.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Good pick. Some will say too early, I don't believe he is. I know CSS is sleeping on the job. 112th? He did injured himself in March ending his season, so that could affect his rank and he might not go as early...but I believe there's A LOT of potential there.

very intriguing kid. Bomb of a shot. Pretty smart in the o-zone, active stick defensively, good short game, could be more physical at times and has to improve on his skating (especially backwards).

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

Now I think you're just complimenting us all :sarcasm:

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Now I think you're just complimenting us all :sarcasm:

Well....not really. True though...I'll refrain from complimenting people too much 'cause the ones who won't have it will take it personnally....:laugh:

In Vanier's case though, it's really the first that is kinda out of left fied based on other reports....thought it was worth noticing...

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Well....not really. True though...I'll refrain from complimenting people too much 'cause the ones who won't have it will take it personnally....:laugh:

In Vanier's case though, it's really the first that is kinda out of left fied based on other reports....thought it was worth noticing...

hah, I know. Just kidding around. I'd be complimenting more people if I knew what I was talking about this year :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad