The Official 2014 (Annual) Habs Board Mock Draft (Done!)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
In this scenario Chicago would once again get one of the steals of the first round...just like Teravainen at 17th overall, Larkin would be larceny at 23rd.

Despite playing with a shoulder injury, Larkin was excellent at the U-18's, especially in the big games. Great skater, very competitive, smart two-way center. Has a shot at being a solid second-line center down the road. I now have him ranked 12th overall. A couple of scouts I talked to were hoping the shoulder injury might keep him from being noticed by the scouts and GM's who hadn't seen him, but that was not the case. He's right in McCann's range now in the rankings..some comparables on their future projections as 2nd-3rd line centers with similar size and two-way abilities.

I have Larkin no later than 15. Everything else is indeed steal material....

That

Aug 25, 2012
Toronto
:hawks :hawks :hawks

With the 23rd overall pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, the Chicago Blackhawks are extremely happy to select from the USNTDP, forward Dylan Larkin

Excellent selection. I was debating between Larkin and Fabbri at 15th overall. Huge fan of his game.

For me, the infinite debate is....Josh Ho-Sang or Goldobin.

It was for me, too, but after the second half of this past season one pulled away from the other IMO. But I probably shouldn't disclose who as Ho-Sang has yet to be picked. ;)

EDIT: Ah well then, I like Ho-Sang considerably more. Although I do feel Goldobin's lack of compete is overblown, it's still an issue, as is his lack of attention to detail. Ho-Sang brings a similar level of skill, with a higher compete level and a better defensive game. I will say that Goldobin is a better shooter, but I have yet to see him venture to the tough areas of the ice like Ho-Sang does.

Last edited:

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Well what can I say, While I still have job I would like to thank Habsfan18 for organizing this draft.

The San Jose Sharks are proud to select, from The Brandon Wheat Kings John Quenneville

th

Clearly we need a reboot of sorts in San Jose. We feel that John will be a good player for us down the line.

PM sent

Last edited:

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
:blues :blues :blues

"First of all, the St. Louis Blues would like to thank HF Habs and especially Habsfan18 for making this all possible. We applaud your hard work and dedication.

With the 26th overall selection in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, the St. Louis Blues are very excited to select, from the Saskatoon Blades of the Western Hockey League, forward Nikita Scherbak!"

27739-thumb.jpg

"The St. Louis Blues are so pleased to add a player who wants to learn the game of hockey every single second that he's alive. He's willing to learn, listen, and take advice that is given to him. He came to North America a few short months ago as a late selection in the CHL Import Draft as an offensive hopeful. Nikitia developed into so much more than that.

He lead a very poor team in scoring as a rookie, but he maintained his offensive touch even after his team unloaded all their offensive veterans at the trade deadline. Nikitia also developed a very sound defensive game as the season moved along. You can put him out in all situations and feel confident that he's going to give you his best and most likely, create an offensive scoring chance with his incredible anticipation and skating. He's also valuable because he's spent time at all three forward positions.

The other thing we love about Nikita is that he learned that the North American game is much faster and that you have to be willing to go to the dirty areas to produce. He isn't afraid to get his nose dirty and he'll take a hit to make a play.

We're absolutely thrilled that a player of this caliber was available at our selection because we had him ranked much, much higher. Welcome to St. Louis, Nikita."​

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
That's pretty much the only thing you need to know in assessing a prospect's talent. :D

Great pick le_sean.

In this scenario Chicago would once again get one of the steals of the first round...just like Teravainen at 17th overall, Larkin would be larceny at 23rd.

Despite playing with a shoulder injury, Larkin was excellent at the U-18's, especially in the big games. Great skater, very competitive, smart two-way center. Has a shot at being a solid second-line center down the road. I now have him ranked 12th overall. A couple of scouts I talked to were hoping the shoulder injury might keep him from being noticed by the scouts and GM's who hadn't seen him, but that was not the case. He's right in McCann's range now in the rankings..some comparables on their future projections as 2nd-3rd line centers with similar size and two-way abilities.

Excellent selection. I was debating between Larkin and Fabbri at 15th overall. Huge fan of his game.

Thanks guys. Not only was he a no-brainer at that spot, he seems like a Blackhawks type of player. I don't think McNeill has the upside to be much more than a 3rd line player. I think Larkin can one day fill that #2 centre spot to help Toews.

It was between him and a player not yet chosen, but that player, who is good in his own right, mostly filled a big organizational need. I went with BPA.

Dec 2, 2010
:avs L'Avalanche du Colorado :avs
Wit de 27th pick, Colorado is proud to select from Boston College godtender goaltender Tatcher Thatcher Demko

patrick-roy-495x391.jpg
Richard Pracey, Avs Director of Amateur Scouting: He is big, great net coverage, very athletic when he needs to but he makes most saves look like routine. Led BC to another Beanpot win with a series of great performances this season.
Roy: Let me tell you. I saw him put his balls on de table more than once for his college team. He is de best goalie in dis draft so he is de best player for us.
ncaa_g_demko_d1_600x600.jpg

ifbu3s.jpg

BG PMed. Sorry about the uploaded pic. Tried to upload it to a website but it got replaced.

Last edited:

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
:ducks2 :ducks2 :ducks2

After taking a longshot on a rising commodity with their acquired #10 pick, the Ducks are taking another longshot... but this time on a falling commodity with their own #28 pick...

The Ducks are pleased to select, from the Kingston Frontenacs of the OHL, defenseman Roland McKeown.

colts-vs-fronts-web-03.jpg

In McKeown, the Ducks are hoping to get a well-rounded future top-4 defenseman with strong leadership ability. We are mindful of some of the scouting concerns that have arisen with him over the course of the season, and while those concerns may be well-founded, he may also be something of a victim of too-close scrutiny for a "jack of all trades" or 'tweener type defenseman, who may not exhibit any single area of dominance, but who has an ability to contribute in a variety of ways.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Thatcher was the other player I was debating about before taking Larkin.

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Damn it, BG. Kind of hate you right now. I wanted him to fall to 33 so bad. I was banking on his poor u18s to drop him out.

Saw him so much. If Montreal took him with their first, I'd be thrilled. Guy is the smartest player in the draft. No one knows the game better, including Ekblad.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
They got my hopes up leaving Scherbak and Demko that late. I was mentally composing my took-Demko-despite-having-Gibson message. :p:

Pinged Dr Gonzo.

I was looking at the Blackhawks organizational depth. They don't have much in goaltending after Crawford, and he is already 30 years old (doesn't seem like it). I figured Demko was the perfect fit as he's extremely talented and he'd take his time to develop in College (along the lings of Cory Schneider).

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Damn it, BG. Kind of hate you right now. I wanted him to fall to 33 so bad. I was banking on his poor u18s to drop him out.

Saw him so much. If Montreal took him with their first, I'd be thrilled. Guy is the smartest player in the draft. No one knows the game better, including Ekblad.
I make a habit of reading too much into the U18's usually. Probably partly because it's the only time I see some of the non-CHL players, and partly because it's the last look and freshest in the mind. But I see the OHL players pretty regularly. I don't know that I'd be happy if the Habs ended up with McKeown, I kinda thought the U18 exposed some of the concerns I had from the season, but I'm happy to hear some positive feedback on the pick, thx! :naughty:

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
I make a habit of reading too much into the U18's usually. Probably partly because it's the only time I see some of the non-CHL players, and partly because it's the last look and freshest in the mind. But I see the OHL players pretty regularly. I don't know that I'd be happy if the Habs ended up with McKeown, I kinda thought the U18 exposed some of the concerns I had from the season, but I'm happy to hear some positive feedback on the pick, thx! :naughty:
Well I see the Fronts and the Bulls the most.. and McKeown was definitely very impressive. He's so damn smart. He's got an elite hockey mind. If any of the top players had his mind, they'd be generational talents.

As it stands, I think Pietrangelo is a very similar style. There's a talent difference, but if you could think of a Pietrangelo-light (aka 2nd pairing, similar style) - that'd be McKeown.

Every player has bad stretches, his happened to come after he was named Captain of Team Canada. That's a ridiculous pressure when you think about it for a 17-18 year old kid.

I hope you wanted Scherbak. Cause I hate you for the Roland pick. :P

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Well I see the Fronts and the Bulls the most.. and McKeown was definitely very impressive. He's so damn smart. He's got an elite hockey mind. If any of the top players had his mind, they'd be generational talents.

As it stands, I think Pietrangelo is a very similar style. There's a talent difference, but if you could think of a Pietrangelo-light (aka 2nd pairing, similar style) - that'd be McKeown.

Every player has bad stretches, his happened to come after he was named Captain of Team Canada. That's a ridiculous pressure when you think about it for a 17-18 year old kid.

I hope you wanted Scherbak. Cause I hate you for the Roland pick. :P

I really don't get the McKeown hate. Probably because of expectations...that's about the only thing I see. I guess that he should have never been a top 5 pick...but he's clearly a 1st rounder in my mind and SURELY a guy that will be talked about in the form of "Why the heck didn't we picked him again?" à la Saad....

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
2q1b4uq_jpg.gif
2q1b4uq_jpg.gif
2q1b4uq_jpg.gif

"First of all, the Bruins do not want to thank HF Habs and especially Habsfan18 for making this all possible. We do not applaud your hard work and dedication. Deal with it.

With the 29th overall selection in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, the Boston Bruins are mildly excited to select, from the Windsor Spitfires of the Ontario Hockey League, forward Josh Ho-Sang"

josh_ho_sang_windsor.jpg

Even though there has been some concern about his work ethic, Joshua will bring a plethora of talent to the table. Either he'll learn the Bruins way, or we'll feed him to Chara during an intermission instead of the poor calf we usually sacrifice. We really liked the numbers we saw from Joshua against the London Knights in the OHL playoffs. 15 games is quite the feat."

Et Le But has been PMd, so he can go ahead and make his illegitimate 1st round pick.

That

Aug 25, 2012
Toronto
2q1b4uq_jpg.gif
2q1b4uq_jpg.gif
2q1b4uq_jpg.gif

"First of all, the Bruins do not want to thank HF Habs and especially Habsfan18 for making this all possible. We do not applaud your hard work and dedication. Deal with it.

With the 29th overall selection in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, the Boston Bruins are mildly excited to select, from the Windsor Spitfires of the Ontario Hockey League, forward Josh Ho-Sang"

Even though there has been some concern about his work ethic, Joshua will bring a plethora of talent to the table. Either he'll learn the Bruins way, or we'll feed him to Chara during an intermission instead of the poor calf we usually sacrifice. We really liked the numbers we saw from Joshua against the London Knights in the OHL playoffs. 15 games is quite the feat."

Et Le But has been PMd, so he can go ahead and make his illegitimate 1st round pick.

Amazing. Absolutely amazing. :bow:

Great pick and an incredible write up.

Dec 2, 2010
McKeown is just not my type of player. I disagree with "smartest" comments. I find his decision making well below the level of his peers in this draft and that's saying something.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
To be perfectly honest I have huge question marks about Ho-Sang. Every time I watch him either he amazes, or disappears.

At 29 though I figure he's worth the risk.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
To be perfectly honest I have huge question marks about Ho-Sang. Every time I watch him either he amazes, or disappears.

At 29 though I figure he's worth the risk.

Surely. He could be a candidate for falling off the 1st...but late 1st wouldn't be perceived as a mistake. He is not in my 1st round but hey, means nothing. Always remember that I'm the one who picked Anton Slepyshev in the 1st round and you'll feel better about yourself...

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Surely. He could be a candidate for falling off the 1st...but late 1st wouldn't be perceived as a mistake. He is not in my 1st round but hey, means nothing. Always remember that I'm the one who picked Anton Slepyshev in the 1st round and you'll feel better about yourself...
I see him as the ultimate boom or bust.

He is my personal favorite for this year draft. I know some people would have him in their no draft but to me he has shown me he has the skills to play with the big boy. The rest will depend on him and his willingness to compete with the best. I compare him to our own PK before he was drafted. Everybody knew PK was incredible offensively but most comments I read about him were there is non D in PK Subban or PK is certainly not for penalty kill. The habs loved his character and undeniable offensive flair and took a chance with him and now he is one of the most dominant defenseman in the NHL.
I see the same traits with Ho Sang, off the chart hands, skating, playmaking skills. He has the willingness to go in front of the net and crash the net to get rebounds altough he is 165 pounds. He is clearly not the finished product. He is a raw diamond that need to be polished but you can't teach his offensive skills and if you think he has the character to become a top line player. You just take him!

I think the habs fans would love to see him undress other team players like they love PK now.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad