The Official 2014 (Annual) Habs Board Mock Draft (Done!)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
Via PM, Philly selects Josh Sterk.

Can someone please PM next GM.

It's Monctonscout. He volunteered to skip his pick last round and we waited a while beforehand. I'm at work without my list, so I can wait a bit for him to see if he logs on a little later and makes his pick.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Plenty of 7th interesting rounders...from Wilkie, Philp, Mantha, Bouchard...Good job boys.

As far as Quebec Pride....you represent! :yo: Somehow, people would not have been surprised if I would have had that draft with so many Q.....and yet, I have only 1. But you took them all so....;)

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
:wings:wings:wings

With the 196th pick, the Detroit Red Wings are proud to select, from the WHL's Kootenay Ice, Luke Philp!

Philp-and-the-Ice-lead-Medicine-Hat-3-1-Larry-MacDougal-The-Canadian-Press.jpg

Philp is a diminutive forward with the capability to play both wing and centre. Rocket of a shot, sneaky good passer, and a slick stickhandler. Deceptively quick - uses quick bursts of speed to dart in scoring areas. Undersized, but doesn't back down and has a great touch around the net. Not much of a two-way game and sometimes prone to over-handling the puck.

Figured I'd take him after taking Jaedon Descheneau. Late '95 and lack of size both hurt him, but there's no doubt he's a skilled player. Him and Descheneau are probably going to rack up the points next season. Should be fun to watch.

Draft so far:
15th - Robby Fabbri
76th - Connor Chatham
106th - Aaron Irving
136th - Jaedon Descheneau
166th - Darby Llewellyn
195th - Luke Philp

We must have sinilar lists cause in the case of Chatham and philp you took the guy who I debated between the pick I ended up taking

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
With pick 197 the Blue Jackets select from the Clark Cup Champion Indiana Ice D Ryan Mantha

This is one name I could see being called much, much earlier than 197. He was my coin flip with Wilkie once Summers was pulled out from under my nose. :)

And yeah, intriguing list of dude you ended up with there.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
:stars:

The Dallas Stars are proud to select from the OJHL, Defenseman, Michael Prapavessis.

65633_small.jpg

"Prapavessis has a lot of upside as a two way defenseman. While he struggles against bigger forwards that is something he can learn and fix as he fills out at RPI. London Knights acquired his rights in hopes they can convince him to play for them. Prapavessis was a dynamic force on the powerplay in the OJHL and commonly displays excellent vision."

Completed my draft with this selection:

14th: Adrian Kempe
45th: Ryan Donato
75th: Jake Walman
105th: Beau Starrett
119th: Matheson Iacopelli
135th: Logan Halladay
154th: Nick Wolff
165th: Maxwell Willman
195th: Michael Prapavessis.

Really content with what I was able to do. Kempe is one of my favorites in the draft because he is so young relative to the draft class, showed a lot of skill in the u-18s and I think there's a high ceiling. Big fan of players who have a heavy shot, can play skill and with jam.
Donato is another favorite, skill, smarts and bloodlines.
Walman and Prapavessis are some skill on the back end who have high ceilings but need to continue to show development.
Starrett and Willman are home run swings. Guys who could be steals if things go right with their development.
Iacopelli was a pet pick who just kept scoring and scoring in the USHL. Intrigued to see if he can keep scoring at the next level.
Logan Halladay is a favorite goalie of mine, I have him behind Demko, MacDonald and the two Swede Goalies but I love his intensity and dedication to off and on ice work.
Nick Wolff is a guy who can end up being a bottom pairing D-man who can play and throw his fists around.

I guess we'll see where and if they go in this draft and how they develop. I always like to swing for the fences in the Mock Draft situation because no one remembers who you miss as long as you're right on one that not a lot of people were ;)

Habitants

Oct 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
:edmonton

Oilers draft summary
3. Edmonton Oilers – Samuel Bennett C
91. Edmonton Oilers - Adam Ollas Mattsson D
116. Edmonton Oilers - Adam Helewka LW
130. Edmonton Oilers - Brandon Hickey D
137. Edmonton Oilers – Jake Evans C/RW
153. Edmonton Oilers – Brandon Montour D
185. Edmonton Oilers – Christopher Brown C

I got a good mix of forwards and defence, with some nice offensive potential. Overall pretty happy considering the large gap in picks the Oilers had.

Nice work guys, always good fun!

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Plenty of 7th interesting rounders...from Wilkie, Philp, Mantha, Bouchard...Good job boys.

As far as Quebec Pride....you represent! :yo: Somehow, people would not have been surprised if I would have had that draft with so many Q.....and yet, I have only 1. But you took them all so....;)

There were a few other interesting players from the 'Q, I was debating between Bouchard and another goaltender. And there's a couple of good D's playing in Sherbrooke who could very well get picked very late in the draft, but yeah once it got to the 4th round, I stuck to the 'Q because I know it very well. I think I picked the players fairly close to where they'll end, outside maybe of Boikov who might not even get drafted, but I knew Mathletic liked him so I didn't want to take a chance losing him. ;)

Thanks for the kind words Whitesnake.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
I think I picked the players fairly close to where they'll end, outside maybe of Boikov who might not even get drafted, but I knew Mathletic liked him so I didn't want to take a chance losing him. ;)

Indeed, interested to see how Leblanc turns out as well. Not the biggest guy around but a very good hockey player nonetheless.

Q draft tomorrow :)

haven't had time to make my list for this year though I have a few guys I know would test well who'll probably end up being steals. Ended up with Meloche, Deschenes, Ouellet St-Amant and William Gignac among others last year.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Indeed, interested to see how Leblanc turns out as well. Not the biggest guy around but a very good hockey player nonetheless.

Q draft tomorrow :)

haven't had time to make my list for this year though I have a few guys I know would test well who'll probably end up being steals. Ended up with Meloche, Deschenes, Ouellet St-Amant and William Gignac among others last year.

Obviously, I too am a very big Leblanc fan. I never thought he would remain unchosen by the 5th round. I think I'll have a good +/- with that one :)

'Q draft should be fun, 5 minutes from my house so I cannot miss it.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Obviously, I too am a very big Leblanc fan. I never thought he would remain unchosen by the 5th round. I think I'll have a good +/- with that one :)

'Q draft should be fun, 5 minutes from my house so I cannot miss it.

I am also a big Leblanc fan. So much untapped potential for this kid.

NLHabsFan

Nov 18, 2008
Alberta
Via PM, Philly selects Josh Sterk.

Can someone please PM next GM.

Thanks for making my pick, that's a wrap for me.

Here's my draft recap:

1st Rd. 17th - Alex Tuch
2nd Rd. 48th - Hunter Smith
3rd Rd. 90th - Aaron Haydon
5th Rd. 138th - Julien Nantel
6th Rd. 168th - Brandon Halverson
7th Rd. 198th - Josh Sterk

I'm pretty happy with my draft this year. I think Tuch has the potential to be a top 6 PF, and Smith is a long term project that has good upside but more than likely a boom or bust pick. Haydon has a lot of tools for a two way dman but needs more development time to reach that potential, especially in the offensive zone. I like Nantel's hockey smarts and think he can turn into a third line player that can do a little bit of everything. Halverson is a goalie that has the tools but need the playing time. He has the size and quickness, but I really like the fact that he can handle the puck. He needs the starts to find out if he can pan out long term. Lastly, Sterk always had offensive skill but this year he finally started to understand he has to be a more complete player if he wants to continue playing at a high level. For a 7th round pick I figured he was worth it.

What's everyone's opinions on these players? For WS and QuebecPride, have you seen a lot of Nantel?

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
What's everyone's opinions on these players? For WS and QuebecPride, have you seen a lot of Nantel?

Nantel's amongst the best skaters of this draft. Reminds me a lot of Bournival, makes smart plays all the time. It depends on where you stand on his offense. Personally i wouldn't pick him before the 4th round.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
With the 199th pick, the New York Rangers select Justin Gutierrez, center with the Tri City Americans.

We really like Gutierrez's long-term upside. By playoff time the lanky rookie was centering Tri-City's top line, and he was quite effective offensively. He also has some jam to his game, picking up 103 PIM's during the regular season.

527475_3819411203833_343401934_n.jpg

Last edited:

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
:wild :wild :wild

With the 200th pick of this year's draft, the Minnesota Wild are proud to select; from the Blainville-Boisbriand Armada of the Québec Major Junior Hockey League, center Emil Aronsson!

1424415_646012588771623_951633059_n.jpg

"He's quick, he can shoot, he battles and he plays well defensively too. He has a lot of work ahead of him but the tools are there. At this late in the draft, there is pretty much no risk and all reward."

----------

Well, that does it for me. Another fun year and great work by Habsfan18 for organizing this once again. I look forward to paying more attention in the following year to the next prospects so that I'll be a tad more prepared.

Here's my work for this year...

:wild Draft
1st round, 18th overall - Sonny Milano, C/LW
3rd round, 80th overall - Michael Bunting, LW
4th round, 110th overall - Pavel Jenys, C
5th round, 140th overall - Ryan Foss, C
6th round, 160th overall - Mitchel Slattery, RW
6th round, 167th overall - Daniel Muzito-Bagenda, LW
6th round, 170th overall - Jack "Chef" Ramsey, RW
7th round, 200th overall - Emil Aronsson, C

Holy crap, only forwards. Dat offensive depth tho...

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
With the 199th pick, the New York Rangers select Justin Gutierrez, center with the Tri City Americans.

I was clearly having Gutierrez on my list. Type of guy that frankly, for me, will be a surefire NHL'er, even if it means that his ceiling will be a 4th liner.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
:kings

With the 201st pick, the Los Angeles Kings select, from the North Bay Battalion of the Ontario Hockey League, defenceman,

Marcus McIvor

tscscrimmage-213.jpg

Brock from ohl.prospects.blogspot.ca

I will be absolutely shocked if McIvor goes undrafted this year (in fact, I'll be surprised if it's not LA who drafts him). McIvor is one of the top stay at home defenseman in the league and possesses all the qualities necessary to continue his defensive prowess at the NHL level. At 6'1, 235lbs, he's able to assert himself in front of the net, in the corners, and his solid skating ability allows him to be a factor on the open ice too. For as good as he is defensively, he's not terrible with the puck and makes smart decisions to avoid turnovers in his own end and was even quarterbacking the Battalion powerplay this year. He's the type of guy who could play 10+ years on a third pairing.

Has been in camp already with the Kings. Voted as one of the top defensive defencemen in the eastern conference of the OHL (coaches' poll). Ready to make the jump next year for Manchester.

Draft recap

#20 David Pastrňák, F, Södertälje Sportklubb, HockeyAllsvenskan
#51 Jayce Hawryluk, F, Brandon Wheat Kings, Western Hockey League
#81 Lucas Wallmark, F, Luleå Hockeyförening, Svenska hockeyligan
#111 Joe Hicketts, D, Victoria Royals, Western Hockey League
#141 Tyler Bird, F, Kimball Union Academy, New Hampshire
#157 Arvid Lundberg, D, Skellefteå AIK, Svenska hockeyligan
#171 Viktor Arvidsson, F, Skellefteå AIK, Svenska hockeyligan
#201 Marcus McIvor, D, North Bay Battalion, Ontario Hockey League

I don't think it's a great draft, that said, hoping for a couple guys to develop and come through. Got some skills with guys like Pastrnak and Arvidsson, 2-way game with Wallmark and Hawryluk (physical as well). Bird being a project, could become a power-forward down the road. Hicketts has all the talent it takes to succeed, not ideal size. McIvor has a fairly low ceiling but does what he does well. Lundberg is another project, plays a 2-way game.

eaglesmaster PM'd

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Draft recap

#20 David Pastrňák, F, Södertälje Sportklubb, HockeyAllsvenskan
#51 Jayce Hawryluk, F, Brandon Wheat Kings, Western Hockey League
#81 Lucas Wallmark, F, Luleå Hockeyförening, Svenska hockeyligan
#111 Joe Hicketts, D, Victoria Royals, Western Hockey League
#141 Tyler Bird, F, Kimball Union Academy, New Hampshire
#157 Arvid Lundberg, D, Skellefteå AIK, Svenska hockeyligan
#171 Viktor Arvidsson, F, Skellefteå AIK, Svenska hockeyligan
#201 Marcus McIvor, D, North Bay Battalion, Ontario Hockey League

It is what I call a sexy draft. Now....4 years to know what is under that dress....;)

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax

I'm neither, but I'd go as far as to say he was one of Rouyn's worst players in both tilts against the Mooseheads. You can see he has tools (mostly with the puck), but secondary checking units didn't really have much trouble keeping him in check (PP aside). Wouldn't necessarily praise his effort/ability on the backcheck, either. While I echo QP's assessment about where he "should"/could be drafted, I'm not quite as impressed with his skating. Very solid (especially for a lighter dude), but I'm used to watching Ehlers, so...

Dec 2, 2010
McIvor is a very nice pick. Great dedication on this guy. If he can get his footspeed going a bit more, he can find himself as a 3rd pairing/depth defensive dman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad