The Official 2014 (Annual) Habs Board Mock Draft (Done!)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Thought for sure Carolina was taking him, but I guess he already had DeAngelo and Thomas as RHD and Dexter Dancs is a great name.
Kelly Summers should have been a Mighty Duck. We'd get him a hat with ears, a surfboard and a guitar, some good roles on Disney sitcoms and juicebox music videos. He'd have been a star here, I tell ya, with a name like that. Alas. :(

MarkovtoSubban

Mar 11, 2009
Toronto
I see one future NHLer personally... That's just my opinion though....we'll see how it goes in five years.

Your opinion counts more than anyones.

For an amateur full of optimism though, Mistele is a power forward, Woods is a stalwart, Gardiner is a whirlwind and Kelly Summers is a hillbilly redneck version of Erik Karlsson!

(assuming Virtanen was the one future NHLer you see)

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Good pick, but for extra mock points I think I might have gone for a local guy with bloodline ties to the team, instead. After all, it's hard to imagine that his former coach (Carolina's new assistant GM) and father (director of defenseman development) won't lobby for him to be picked by the final round, at least. ;)

True for the mock.....but in reality, I think he's as meh a draft pick that could be. And at this point, I still have about 20 guys I wanted.....I'd have a draft with 30 picks and it wouldn't be enough...;)

Dancs was #1, Wilkie finished #2 (really a good draft pick in the 7th round..) and have a whole lot more. As soon as the draft finishes, I will send a list of guys I'm inviting to my development camp. :D

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Thought for sure Carolina was taking him, but I guess he already had DeAngelo and Thomas as RHD and Dexter Dancs is a great name.

You read my mind. Kelly Summers was in my top 5 for my last pick but I've seen Dancs play more and frankly he is going to be a Wolverine. Come on. That was a gimme. ;)

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Sorry for the wait guys, I just woke up:D

With the 191st pick, the Coyotes are mildly proud to select, the most over-hyped player of the 2014 crop, Nikita Lyamkin.

b18dd_130705_xv9r1_nikita-lyamkin_sn635.jpg

Good one , QP, good joke

Lyamkin crossed the pond with a lot of promise, experts labeling him as a future 1st rounder after the Ivan-Hlinka. You could understand them for rating him so high, he came with the whole package, the shot, the skating, the vision, the size and the skill. Problem was not his ceiling, it was putting his tools together to succeed and improve. It proved to be quite the problem this year in Chicoutimi.

He started out the year with top minutes, as any future first rounder in his draft year. At the end of the season though, he was surpassed by Rookie phenom Frédéric Allard who took his spot on the top PP and on the first pairing. Nikita started the year as a potential first rounder and ended it on the bottom pair with no minutes at the end of a game. Quite the crash and burn season. We saw a glimpse of light at the end of the year at the U-18 where he played with more aplomb. Obviously, we think Nikita's much better than what he displayed this year and look forward to work with a raw player like him. He's our homerun pick.

:coyotes :coyotes :coyotes

Phoenix Draft so far
:
12. Jared McCann
43. Nicolas Aubé-Kubel
54. Vladislav Kamenev
73. Daniel Audette
133. Olivier Leblanc
163. Sergei Boikov
191. Nikita Lyamkin

Grant will be PM'd

Last edited:

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Your opinion counts more than anyones.

For an amateur full of optimism though, Mistele is a power forward, Woods is a stalwart, Gardiner is a whirlwind and Kelly Summers is a hillbilly redneck version of Erik Karlsson!

(assuming Virtanen was the one future NHLer you see)

:laugh: I get ya - I don't mind some of those guys actually..Mistele shows some flashes, but way too inconsistent..and his skating is definitely an issue.

Gardiner caught my eye early..he was playing pretty well..but in his last 33 regular season games he scored 3 goals. He's undersized, and not an explosive skater or overly tough. He regressed as the season went on, which is a major concern. Tkachev is a very tiny Russian....not big on those guys. ;) Wood worked his way into being a draft consideration with his size and North Bay's playoff run, but his skating will have to really evolve.

Summers was a nice pick in the 7th...Minney I didn't see a lot..I know the head guy in Mtl had little time for him, so I presume he's a longshot to make it.

Virtanen will be a solid pro..no issues with that selection at 9 at all. Also think Wood late and Summers in the 7th were decent value picks as well that may pan out in several years.

Michigan's track record of developing NHLers in recent years has been spotty at best. The ones who end up developing right are the ones who invariably leave early it seems...like Pacioretty. The Miteras..and others that stay a few years..not so much.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
With the 192nd pick, Nashville selects Windsor defenceman Patrick Sanvido.

Sanvido has decent mobility for a 6-5 220 behemoth., and was a minute muncher on Windsor's blueline, especially after Koekkoek went down with injury. A stay-at-home defender with some jam to his game, we think Sanvido will compete for a bottom pairing NHL spot in five or six years.

1-spits-8.jpg

Nashville's picks (FWIW all in my top 90):

12th - Hayden Fleury
42nd - John MacLeod
46th - Dominik Masin
72nd - Jonas Johansson
102nd - Noah Rod
117th - Brent Moran
132nd - Alex Schoenborn
162nd - Jacob Busch
192nd - Patrick Sanvido

Last edited:

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
:jets

With their final pick, the Winnipeg Jets select, from Carleton Place in the CCHL, defenceman Kelly Summers.

"Kelly is a project as he played in lower-tier league and his committed to Clarkson University next season. However, we like what he showed this year (60 pts in 56 games, winning the Fred Page cup) and like his size already. He has a powerful shot, but it's his hockey sense that separates him from the pack. He thinks like an NHLer already. He will need to work on his skating ability, but we are really happy to be able to select him in the 7th round."

Good pick, pushed my luck a little picking the Swedes ahead of him. Looks like Summers is a very decent prospect. Kept my eye on him since last year.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
With the 193rd pick, the Coyotes are prouder to select, from the Val-D'or Foreurs, Goaltender Keven Bouchard.

2013-10-16-03-09-25-Tremblay%20(2).JPG

Bouchard was playing behind one of the best CHL goaltenders in Bibeau, and previously to that François Tremblay was eating all the minutes, so he's certainly not a very known player. We believe he is a gem in the rough, we like his size and his athleticism and we were never disappointed when he was playing.

:coyotes :coyotes :coyotes

Draft recap:
12. Jared McCann C
43. Nicolas Aubé-Kubel RW
54. Vladislav Kamenev C/RW
73. Daniel Audette C/LW
133. Olivier Leblanc D
163. Sergei Boikov D
191. Nikita Lyamkin D
193. Keven Bouchard G

I hesitated between Bouchard and another 'Q goaltender for that last pick, and still have a few players on my first if anyone is interested or has no idea who to pick now.

MarkovtoSubban

Mar 11, 2009
Toronto
12th - Hayden Fleury
42nd - John MacLeod
46th - Dominik Masin
72nd - Jonas Johansson
102nd - Noah Rod
117th - Brent Moran
132nd - Alex Schoenborn
162nd - Jacob Busch
192nd - Patrick Sanvid

How many D is that? :laugh:

Didn't Nashville go on record saying they were going to focus on forwards?

Did you do the Hockey News writeups this year? Was just reading though it first time and I could tell however wrote the blurb for Masin really likes him!

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Not enough Quebecers...QuebecPride indeed...McCann is not a French name. (sarcasm smiley)

Heard some promising reports on Kamenev from the combine...plans to come over to NA next year.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=721117

Russia's captain at the U-18, top scorer. 6'2 frame. Real steal at 54.

4 Québécois, 3 Russians and an Ontarian. 6 players from the 'Q ;)

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
True for the mock.....but in reality, I think he's as meh a draft pick that could be.

Oh, I agree with you. Totally going for the "bonus points" of guessing the "right" guy to the "right" team (and likely the right spot - if any). Don't think Carolina gets out of the draft without picking Glen's boy, but even they'd probably be reluctant to pick him before the 7th round. ;)

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Oh, I agree with you. Totally going for the "bonus points" of guessing the "right" guy to the "right" team (and likely the right spot - if any). Don't think Carolina gets out of the draft without picking Glen's boy, but even they'd probably be reluctant to pick him before the 7th round. ;)

Actually....I never kinda used that strategy...(remember Slepyshev in the 1st round....;)). I'm mostly going with guys I've seen and love so that I will have a lot of fun to follow their progress. Also trying to not pick too many of the same type of players. One thing I should have done in reality, is to go for goalies.....I had one in mind that went before I chose. And I had others in mind that just decided not to go for. One guy that was my darkhorse before the year started didn't have a good USHL year. Still believe in him....but not enough to pick him instead of Dancs. I didn't have a 6th rounder, if so, Dancs would have probably be my 6th rounder, and a goalie in the 7th.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Actually....I never kinda used that strategy...

Don't get me wrong, I'd never "waste" anything except a 7th round pick doing something like that. I've brought up a few possibilities in past mocks for other teams (missed picks, etc), but I don't think I've ever actually made such a pick, myself.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
12th - Hayden Fleury
42nd - John MacLeod
46th - Dominik Masin
72nd - Jonas Johansson
102nd - Noah Rod
117th - Brent Moran
132nd - Alex Schoenborn
162nd - Jacob Busch
192nd - Patrick Sanvid

How many D is that? :laugh:

Didn't Nashville go on record saying they were going to focus on forwards?

Did you do the Hockey News writeups this year? Was just reading though it first time and I could tell however wrote the blurb for Masin really likes him!

I doubt very much that Nashville hamstrings themselves. If Fleury is still available at the 12th pick he'll be a Predator, same with Masin at 46. Masin may well go in the first round in reality. The Preds had no intention of taking Jones 4th overall last year either..but when he was there.....Nashville has never hesitated to stockpile dfence prospects..if they are clearly the BPA. You can always deal one or two later as they maintain their value unless they bust.

JHabs

HFB Partner
Dec 14, 2007
Montreal
twitter.com
The Washington Capitals are proud to select

from Jr. A SM-liiga Hannes Björninen

ee4cda31d38b348cfd016d367b1b18c0.jpeg

A dark horse pick that can pan out as a long term project - he's a solid playmaker who sees the ice well.

Next GM Pmd

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
:stars:

The Dallas Stars are proud to select from the OJHL, Defenseman, Michael Prapavessis.

65633_small.jpg

"Prapavessis has a lot of upside as a two way defenseman. While he struggles against bigger forwards that is something he can learn and fix as he fills out at RPI. London Knights acquired his rights in hopes they can convince him to play for them. Prapavessis was a dynamic force on the powerplay in the OJHL and commonly displays excellent vision."

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Michigan's track record of developing NHLers in recent years has been spotty at best. The ones who end up developing right are the ones who invariably leave early it seems...like Pacioretty. The Miteras..and others that stay a few years..not so much.

:rant: Don't talk about my team like that....;)

That

Aug 25, 2012
Toronto
:wings:wings:wings

With the 196th pick, the Detroit Red Wings are proud to select, from the WHL's Kootenay Ice, Luke Philp!

Philp-and-the-Ice-lead-Medicine-Hat-3-1-Larry-MacDougal-The-Canadian-Press.jpg

Philp is a diminutive forward with the capability to play both wing and centre. Rocket of a shot, sneaky good passer, and a slick stickhandler. Deceptively quick - uses quick bursts of speed to dart in scoring areas. Undersized, but doesn't back down and has a great touch around the net. Not much of a two-way game and sometimes prone to over-handling the puck.

Figured I'd take him after taking Jaedon Descheneau. Late '95 and lack of size both hurt him, but there's no doubt he's a skilled player. Him and Descheneau are probably going to rack up the points next season. Should be fun to watch.

Draft so far:
15th - Robby Fabbri
76th - Connor Chatham
106th - Aaron Irving
136th - Jaedon Descheneau
166th - Darby Llewellyn
195th - Luke Philp

MarkovtoSubban

Mar 11, 2009
Toronto
:cbj:cbj:cbj

With pick 197 the Blue Jackets select from the Clark Cup Champion Indiana Ice D Ryan Mantha

droppedImage.jpg

Jarmo says "A 6'5 raw project to work with. His uncle Moe was a beast of a defender and we think Ryan will be just as tough if not as ugly. He signed intent to go to North Dakota but we may encourage him to go to the OHL and get more practice hurting people. He was drafted by Sault Ste. Marie which is a nice place for a visit with lots of saunas."

kekalainen-jarmo_940-8col.jpg

I am laying down my cards. A gamebreaker, a playmaker, two power forwards and two big projects with good bloodlines and huge upside.

That is I believe a full house.

16- Kasperi Kapanen, LW, KalPa FEL -

47- Chase DeLeo, C, Portland WHL -

63- Austin Poganski, RW, Tri-City, USHL

77- Shane Eiserman, LW, Dubuque, USHL

107-Dominic Turgeon, C, Portland, WHL

197- Ryan Mantha, D, Indiana, USHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad