The Official 2014 (Annual) Habs Board Mock Draft (Done!)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Picking for HomaridII, with the 205th pick :pens:pens:pens:pens selects defenceman Simon Kindschi from HC Davos

Next GM is PM'ed.

2014 Pittsburgh Draft
24. Nikolay Goldobin
115. Richard Nejezchleb
149. Julien Pelletier
175. Andreas Soderberg
205. Simon Kindschi

Last edited:

That

Aug 25, 2012
Toronto
:wings:wings:wings

With the 206th pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, the Detroit Red Wings are proud to select, from Linkoping, defenceman, Gustav Forsling!

dsc_0487.jpg

Forsling saw tremendous growth over the course of the season and posted a terrific performance at the U-18s. He's slightly undersized, but highly mobile, owning a smooth stride and terrific top-end speed. Also has a great shot from the point. He's a heady player who rarely makes mistakes with the puck. Must improve his defensive game.

It wouldn't be a Red Wings draft without a Swede.

My draft:
15th - Robby Fabbri
76th - Connor Chatham
106th - Aaron Irving
136th - Jaedon Descheneau
166th - Darby Llewellyn
195th - Luke Philp
206th - Gustav Forsling

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
:blues :blues :blues

With the 207th overall selection in the NHL Entry Draft, the St. Louis Blues are proud to select from the Swift Current Broncos of the Western Hockey League, center, Colby Cave!

broncos-pats-cave.jpg

"Cave is an incredible three zone player that we're surprised is still on the board. We're very happy to add Colby to our roster and think that we got an absolute steal in the 7th round. 7th Rounders don't generally become NHL players, and we believe that Cave will be."​

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
:blues :blues :blues

With the 207th overall selection in the NHL Entry Draft, the St. Louis Blues are proud to select from the Swift Current Broncos of the Western Hockey League, center, Colby Cave!

broncos-pats-cave.jpg

"Cave is an incredible three zone player that we're surprised is still on the board. We're very happy to add Colby to our roster and think that we got an absolute steal in the 7th round. 7th Rounders don't generally become NHL players, and we believe that Cave will be."​
Yeah, it sort of feels like there's a really interesting crop of over-agers this year. Cave and McIvor were a couple I would have picked if I had more "late round presence" in my pick matrix. :handclap:

MarkovtoSubban

Mar 11, 2009
Toronto
Completed my draft with that selection.

21. Julius Honka, D
82. Ryan Collins, D
112. Julius Bergman, D
125. Pavel Kraskovsky, F
142. Anders Bjork, F
172. Arkhip Nekolenko, F
202. Eetu Sopanen, D

Relatively happy with my draft, really wish I had a 2nd round pick though. In general, heading into the draft, one of my goals was to get bigger and faster at both ends of the ice. Defense in particular was an area of concern for me, since over the past 2 years we haven't really drafted any, and our most promising two are about to graduate to the big club.

Julius Honka provides an extremely dynamic ofd who has the potential to put up big offensive numbers and really lead our powerplay in the future. The idea of having a guy with his talent next to Subban on the powerplay is just crazy. Either that, or we could have two actually effective powerplay units. His ability to move the puck would also do wonders to our transition game. He does not shy away from the physical stuff, and can flat out skate. It took me a long while to decide between him and Larkin, but in the end I went with Honka by the slightest of margins.

The other 3 dmen I selected, Collins, Bergman, and Sopanen, all bring a blend of size with skating. Collins is more of a shutdown style, playing a very cerebral style more akin to a Hal Gill, using stickwork and position to eliminate scoring threats, while also possessing a good first pass to quickly move the puck out of the zone. Bergman is more of a 2way dman who moves the puck well and possesses fluid skating. Sopanen is a huge longshot, but if he can stay healthy enough to actually develop his raw tools, he could really be a player, very much a long term project.

In regards to the forwards I selected, I am pleased with them. They carry a pretty huge risk, since the two biggest talents among them are Russians still in Russia, which is a huge concern. In both cases, the talent is very high and is also paired with size and a certain level of grit. Since it was late round picks, I felt the risk was appropriate for the potential reward. Its not like I am taking them in the first round.(sorry whitesnake) Bjork is a relatively safe pick, a bit undersized at 5'11, but he can still grow. I really like his work ethic and hockey sense, could be an effective two way forward on a 3rd or 4th line someday.

The two picks I had the hardest time with, were the first and last ones. It was very hard to pass on Larkin in the first, and also hard to pass on another player in the last round, who I may name later, if he is selected or not by the end of the draft.

As usual it was fun :D. Hope people aren't too upset with my draft on behalf of our beloved Habs. I took a lot of risks, I think my draft has the chance of being very strong or very weak in 4~5 years. Cheers!

We like a lot of the same players and I like the swing for the fences approach...but that's just too many d-men!

Larkin or Bleackley would have been ideal in the 1st or Scherback.

Was hoping for Foegele in the 3rd and one big Russian winger is maybe enough for one draft.:laugh:

Collins and Sopanen on the ice together! There would be no room for anyone else.

Is there a surplus of big D this year? I tried not to take any and still had Ryan Mantha available in the 7th.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
2014 Chicago Blackhawks Draft

1st (23rd): F, Dylan Larkin
3rd (62nd): F, Justin Kirkland
3rd (84th): F, Warren Foegele
4th (98th): D, Matthew Berkovitz
5th (144th): F, Shane Gersich
5th (146th): D, Rinat Valiev
6th (174th): F, Blake Clarke
7th (204th): G, Blake Weyrick

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
:wild Draft for 2014
1st round, 18th overall - Sonny Milano, C/LW
3rd round, 80th overall - Michael Bunting, LW
4th round, 110th overall - Pavel Jenys, C
5th round, 140th overall - Ryan Foss, C
6th round, 160th overall - Mitchel Slattery, RW
6th round, 167th overall - Daniel Muzito-Bagenda, LW
6th round, 170th overall - Jack "Chef" Ramsey, RW
7th round, 200th overall - Emil Aronsson, C

Thoughts?

Dec 2, 2010
With the 208th pick, Colorado is proud to select from North Bay of the OHL, Zach Bratina.

I0000yiOtczXO5So.jpg

Gritty and fast winger with good pro potential. Great on the cycle and below the goal line. Offensive ability seemed to shine a lot after his trade to the Battalion. We're confident he can grow that to be a top OHL player by the end of his junior career.

GM PMed.

:avs Avs draft summary :avs

• 1|27 -> Thatcher Demko
  • 3|88 -> Edgars Kulda
  • 4|93 -> Ondřej Kaše
  • 4|103 -> Tyson Baillie
  • 4|118 -> Tyler Sheehy (curious where you guys had him)
  • 5|148 -> Seamus Malone
  • 6|178 -> Pierre Engvall
  • 7|208-> Zach Bratina

Stoked about Demko. Think he'll be a stud.
Kulda: picked before the Mem Cup pick (shhh W3K he's Avs property now :P) He's too hyped now but he'll make a good grinder, fun teammate.
Kase (Ca$h Money!): should also be a fine grinder with + hands.
Baillie: swung for the fences for small offense.
Sheehy: couldn't resist, great hands on this kid.
Malone: Wee Baby Malone reminds me of Kristo the playah.
Engvall: big player with a big stick from time to time.
Bratina: love players that do well after a change of scenery, underrated potential.

Avs need defensive help but their D prospects are aplenty albeit with no star potential. As this draft is very thin on high quality D [only Ekblad and Fleury would be PERFECT adds], I didn't feel confident reaching for a defenceman who isn't as good when Demko was right there. So, to go along with the Avs very talented group of young forwards, I tried to pick those that would eventually fill out 2-way roles but can keep up with their stars. And it just happened I didn't like a lot of the D prospects that were around my pick.

I think STL killed it with sexy picks.
@Crimson, I think you did well with what you had.
Thanks to all that made this mock happen :cheers:

Last edited:

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
:ducks:ducks:ducks

With the penultimate 209th pick of the draft, the Anaheim (Still Mighty) Mighty Ducks select forward C.J. Yakimowicz.

cj.jpg

"We opted to go with a project player with size with our last pick. We drafted a couple of smaller forwards earlier, and a lot of D, so Yakimowicz gave us that extra variety in the draft. He's got good size and we are hoping to see him blossom next season in junior with increased responsibility and opportunity. He will need to engage physically and work on his puck skills, he is very raw, but we are hopeful that he can take the steps necessary to emerge as a power forward prospect in a few years, adding a dimension which we felt was lacking in our draft this year."

In selecting Yakimowicz, the Ducks were dismayed to have to pass on a couple other USNTDP players on their draft list in Louis Belpedio and Ryan Hitchcock, who they felt represented more "mature" choices and figured higher on their list, but were ultimately deemed incompatible with the way the team's other selections shook out. (From the archives of rarely admitted draft strategies!)

Ducks draft summary:
Kevin Fiala, F
Roland McKeown, D
Brayden Point, F
Dysin Mayo, D
Nelson Nogier, D
Scott Savage, D
C.J. Yakimowicz, F

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
135px-Boston_Bruins_Logo_(Alternate_1955-1995).svg.png

With the 210th and last pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, the Boston Bruins are proud to select, from the Dubuque Fighting Saints in the USHL, forward Karson Kuhlman.

action_cloquet_karson_kuhlman_large.jpg

Karson is undersized, but makes up for it with effort and energy. He can force take-overs by using his speed to fearlessly crash the net, and cash in on rebounds.

That does it for the 2014 Habs forum mock draft.

A huge thank you to Habsfan18 for organizing such a fun yearly event.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
So do we go like the main draft board and express shock at who was overlooked and went undrafted? I have my mentions of Belpedio and Hitchcock who I would have taken, excepting that the latter is kind of redundant with Point, and the former is another smoother (and even smaller) D which I thought I already kind of loaded up on sufficiently.

I don't know the European draft class at all this year, so I won't feel bad about missing anybody there. It would have been picking even blinder than usual.

My last-pick short-list still had Radel Fazleev, Wegwerth and Fiegl, Josh Thrower, and Josh Wesley hanging off the end too. Should go back to a 9-round draft. :)
:GWC:

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Guys still on my list:

Carl Neill, Jonathan Deschamps, Julio Billia, Alexei Sleptsov, Charles Guèvremont, Daniel Walcott, Sébastien Auger, Connor Garland, Ryan Bliss, Duncan McIntyre, Cody Donaghey, Jan Mandat.

Dec 2, 2010
For me, it's Suter, Baltisberger, Pecararo (Waterloo,USHL), Nikko (big Finn), Ruopp and Dudek (HS). These were my top guys in the end.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Many thanks to Habsfan18. This is always the best mock, on any board in large part to your organization!

Great job everyone.

NLHabsFan

Nov 18, 2008
Alberta
Great work guys, it was a pleasure to be a part of this again. I'm looking forward to seeing how this compares with the real draft in a few weeks. I like to see how close the top 40 are and who we missed that gets picked in the later rounds. Love reading all your descriptions and opinions, a lot of knowledgeable people here. :handclap:

That

Aug 25, 2012
Toronto
Good work guys! It was a pleasure to be part of this once again! :handclap:

Detroit Red Wings draft:
15th - Robby Fabbri
76th - Connor Chatham
106th - Aaron Irving
166th - Darby Llewellyn
195th - Luke Philp
206th - Gustav Forsling

Fabbri was a no-brainer for me. I have him ranked above MDC and Ritchie in my OHL rankings. Might not be ideal for the Red Wings, but he was the clear BPA for me. Chatham might have been a reach. Maybe, maybe not. But was my player all along (besides Walman). Love his combination of size, skating, and smarts. I needed a defenceman so I took Irving. Struggled down the stretch, largely due to his decreased role, but I think he'll be a good pick down the road. Admittedly, I wanted Dvorak at 136, but I passed on him hoping he'd be around in the sixth. Unfortunately that didn't happen. I still like Descheneau though. Llewellyn was another no-brainer. Can't believe he was still available. Hard-worker with good goal-scoring upside. Philp and Forsling are two very interesting players to me. Might not be great value at the time of the draft, but intriguing packages nonetheless.

Players still on my list: Charley Graaskamp, Pius Suter, Adam Rockwood, Ryan Hitchcock, Kevin Spinozzi and Carl Neill.

And finally, some of my favourite picks of the draft:
Dylan Larkin @ 23 (Chicago)
Josh Ho-Sang @ 29 (Boston)
John MacLeod @ 42 (Nashville)
Ryan Donato @ 45 (Dallas)
Blake Siebenaler @ 66 (Vancouver)
Jake Walman @ 76 (Dallas)
Andreas Englund @ 85 (Calgary)
Nelson Nogier @ 89 (Anaheim)
Brent Moran @ 117 (Nashville)
Matheson Iacopelli @ 119 (Dallas)
Scott Savage @ 123 (Anaheim)
Olivier Leblanc @ 133 (Phoenix)
Christian Dvorak @ 139 (San Jose)
Jacob Busch @ 162 (Nashville)
Ryan Rehill @ 176 (San Jose)
Michael Prapavessis @ 195 (Dallas)
Justin Gutierrez @ 199 (NYR)
Zach Bratina @ 208 (Colorado)

Needless to say, I really liked Nashville and Dallas' drafts.

Last edited:

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
:wings:wings:wings

With the 206th pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft, the Detroit Red Wings are proud to select, from Linkoping, defenceman, Gustav Forsling!

dsc_0487.jpg

Forsling saw tremendous growth over the course of the season and posted a terrific performance at the U-18s. He's slightly undersized, but highly mobile, owning a smooth stride and terrific top-end speed. Also has a great shot from the point. He's a heady player who rarely makes mistakes with the puck. Must improve his defensive game.

It wouldn't be a Red Wings draft without a Swede.

My draft:
15th - Robby Fabbri
76th - Connor Chatham
106th - Aaron Irving
166th - Darby Llewellyn
195th - Luke Philp
206th - Gustav Forsling

Forsling at 206th is a tremendous selection IMO, and I like the Yakimowicz pick that late. Forsling reminds me of Nygren to a certain extent..great shot and lots of offensive upside, but a little undersized. Great pick! Chandler will get a bigger role in London next year and may surprise with more ice time...good bottom line potential.

Excellent draft guys. I don't think anyone in my top 100 wasn't selected. Did anyone take David Kampf? He would have been a wildcard for me. Tornqvist may have been a decent late selection as well...but all in all...pretty much every decent prospect got chosen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad