OT: **The Off-Topic Thread Part 2**

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
You still have a chance like that guy on San Jose who made the debut 32.

They should bring back that show with Mike Keenan and other players were the top 6 players could tryout for one of the Canadian teams. Tying to remember it!

Making the cut. It was a good show. I would watch if they did it again.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I just got back from my second game. It ended in a tie 8-8. Hard to keep track, but I think I was on the ice for 2 goals each way, so I maintained my plus 1 rating on the season. It was really cool how much more composed I was the second time. The first game, I was just finding the puck and firing it up the boards, but this time I was actually taking my time and making decisions. I even managed to shake guys and make plays with the puck this game, rather than only contributing with a poke check here and an interception there. Made some good passes and had a good shot on net that had a realistic chance of going in or being deflected.

I played D again, and there were only 8 players at the beginning of the game not including the goalie, which meant only 3 D. It was ridiculous. I was beginning to worry about my health when two more guys showed up and we could roll 4 again. It was such a difference maker, and I was able to skate a lot harder after that knowing I could get a full shift off afterwards.

There was also an incident in the game where one of our guys, who was sick of the other team's "stars" taking advantage of the no-contact rule and cutting into the slot at will, stood up one of their guys with a pretty big hit (really, he just refused to get out of the way when the guy cut in on him), and the guy responded by cross-checking him in the head, then two-hand slashing his neck on the follow-through. Makes me worried that I might accidentally fall into someone and start a ruckus at some point.

Trust me, that won't happen. Usually players know one another if they've been around the league for a while, so I doubt they go after you if you accidently make contact with another player. People can usually tell if players are newer at the game or not. Even if they do go after you, I bet a teammate will stand up and take exception.

Do you like playing D?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Trust me, that won't happen. Usually players know one another if they've been around the league for a while, so I doubt they go after you if you accidently make contact with another player. People can usually tell if players are newer at the game or not. Even if they do go after you, I bet a teammate will stand up and take exception.

Do you like playing D?

Actually, D really suits me. When I played soccer, I always played D because it's always been my style to hang behind the play and keep everything in front of me. Whenever I play forward positions, I feel like there's too much going on that I can't see, and I also feel like you do a lot of work which results in nothing. I also feel like I'm always involved in the play both defensively and offensively (I love the anticipation of knowing that they're about to throw it up the boards on your side when you're trying to hold the blueline), and the play is always coming to me. At the same time, though, I do feel a little guilty when skilled guys take me on 1-on-1, which basically is the equivalent of a pylon stick-handling drill at this point for them, and I know that my partner basically always has to cover for me on what is typically a 2-on-1. For some infuriating reason, I just can't skate fast enough to keep up with guys, so I either get beat trying or take a shot at poke-checking them.

On the other hand, I took one shift at forward in my first game, and had a point-blank scoring chance where I got robbed, so there is a lingering desire to try forward again and see if I can score one. I'm hoping I can sate that scoring appetite from the blueline at some point. I've had a shot on net from the point in both games so far.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Currently having a one man rave right now while doing homework. First time doing homework in a couple of months as well. :laugh:

I always listen to music while studying. A treadmill works good too. Gets the mind going, but exhausts it quickly.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Actually, D really suits me. When I played soccer, I always played D because it's always been my style to hang behind the play and keep everything in front of me. Whenever I play forward positions, I feel like there's too much going on that I can't see, and I also feel like you do a lot of work which results in nothing. I also feel like I'm always involved in the play both defensively and offensively (I love the anticipation of knowing that they're about to throw it up the boards on your side when you're trying to hold the blueline), and the play is always coming to me. At the same time, though, I do feel a little guilty when skilled guys take me on 1-on-1, which basically is the equivalent of a pylon stick-handling drill at this point for them, and I know that my partner basically always has to cover for me on what is typically a 2-on-1. For some infuriating reason, I just can't skate fast enough to keep up with guys, so I either get beat trying or take a shot at poke-checking them.

On the other hand, I took one shift at forward in my first game, and had a point-blank scoring chance where I got robbed, so there is a lingering desire to try forward again and see if I can score one. I'm hoping I can sate that scoring appetite from the blueline at some point. I've had a shot on net from the point in both games so far.

Never played D before (except for covering for my defenseman), so I cannot give any big tips, except for staying in the middle of the player and the goal. Go for the body and not the puck, too (if you cannot hit, go for the stick lift). Lastly, be vocal to your goalie. If you're ever in a 2-on-1 position, tell your goalie beforehand that you'll either take the player or let the player take the shot. This helps the goalie tremendously.

Last edited:
May 27, 2012
Earth
I always listen to music while studying. A treadmill works good too. Gets the mind going, but exhausts it quickly.

I am using the program Processing to create a game that I have to hand in on Friday that I am just starting now. I had a chance to do this in early December...:laugh:

I am listening to a lot of Electronic music right now. Its getting me really pumped up. Also I have had productive first hour so far.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
You're a lazy *****, aren't you? :laugh:

Joking aside, glad you're having fun. Never played D before (except for covering for my defenseman), so I cannot give any big tips, except for staying in the middle of the player and the goal. Go for the body and not the puck, too (if you cannot hit, go for the stick lift). Lastly, be vocal to your goalie. If you're ever in a 2-on-1 position, tell your goalie beforehand that you'll either take the player or let the player take the shot. This helps the goalie tremendously.

Yeah, people keep telling me how to position my body. I tell them that I'm still working on "vertical," and I'll progress to more ambitious goals after I've mastered that.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Yeah, people keep telling me how to position my body. I tell them that I'm still working on "vertical," and I'll progress to more ambitious goals after I've mastered that.

When you are on 1 on 1 slash the guy on the spot between the glove and elbow pad to get him to stop so you and your team go other way and potentially score.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
When you are on 1 on 1 slash the guy on the spot between the glove and elbow pad to get him to stop so you and your team go other way and potentially score.

There's usually a soft, squishy and sensitive spot between their shoulder pads and helmet. I've had great success distracting opponents by poking my stick at that area.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009

Working on "vertical"? What the hell does that mean?

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
Anyone in here know how or where to sell coins? I have 5 mint 2010 Canadian silver coins, they have a maple leaf on them. I'm seeing prices from $50-$100 each but have no idea who would want them or where to go. Just a shot in the dark. Thanks brothas.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Care to summarize? I've read a few threads and browsed the titles of all the threads, an haven't found anything particularly incendiary.

To add onto what Calculon said, apparently there have been members of the Oilers PR trying to jump the ship saying that Lowe is a good president and whatnot on their board. That, and them trying to get Lowe fired whatever means necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad