OT: **The Off-Topic Thread Part 2**

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 27, 2012
Earth
^ Sucks man.

How did you get that many concussions? Did you keep your head down or something all the time?

First one I recall was when I was 7-8 and I hit mt my head of a pole. 2-4 I got them from dumb stuff I did and don't really want to mention and 5th one I was on the hash marks and the puck went past me and there was guy who skated by me and elbowed me in the head .A month later the 6th one came from going head first into into the boards by being pushed from behind and getting knocked out( the 5th and 6th one are from playing in a league with 16-18 year olds and we were all 15). And of course the 7th one came when I was battling with this guy on the boards, and his teammate in our league is a goon and he came and hit me in the cage with both hands and I also broke my stick from getting hit(I have no idea how it happened) and because I was out of it I skated to the bench with my broken stick in my hand and everybody was yelling at me to drop my stick, than eventually I came back, dropped my stick and fell to the ice and landed on my knees. I got up and skated to the dressing room. So yeah. I never had my head down,I was one of the bigger guys on the ice. It resulted from unfortunate circumstances and idiots. Who knows? I probably got more, but I will never know.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
My sister basically stopped playing all sports when she turned 18 because of concussions. She played hockey, volleyball, baseball, badminton, etc etc. she must of had 10-12 concussions while in all my years of being a dumb ass I've never had one (that I know of), some people are just more susceptible to them, which sucks sometimes, the big sis was a fantastic athlete.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Today is Anglesmith's hockey career debut. The first step on my personal road to the NHL. I know that at this point I'm draft ineligible, but all that means is that I get to choose which team I sign with.

The over-under for goals for me is 0.5.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Today is Anglesmith's hockey career debut. The first step on my personal road to the NHL. I know that at this point I'm draft ineligible, but all that means is that I get to choose which team I sign with.

You still have a chance like that guy on San Jose who made the debut 32.

They should bring back that show with Mike Keenan and other players were the top 6 players could tryout for one of the Canadian teams. Tying to remember it!

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009

Remember to wear your full-white gloves, tinted visor, and be sure to have lace and cage hang. Be sure to chirp anyone you can!

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Remember to wear your full-white gloves, tinted visor, and be sure to have lace and cage hang. Be sure to chirp anyone you can!

It's funny, I've always tucked my pants, socks and anything else into my skates since the first time I skated on the lake. Someone yesterday told me that it's somehow a cocky thing to do. I never even considered an alternative.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Holy ****, hockey is a tiring sport!

I ended up playing D (we had 2 people who voluntarily played D, and so myself and my friend Mary [who is essentially a pylon at this point]) played D. I made sure we were not on the ice for much time. We ended up losing 5-4 after being up 4-2 in the third, but I ended up with a +1 rating, no points, 2 SOG and 0 PIM. The league was way more intense than I was expecting. Mary and I were by far the worst players on the team, but I managed to make some plays (and get beat badly on a few too).

For the record, the reffing was as bad as my play. Their tying goal in the third was after first tripping up our forward in the attacking zone, then tripping our defenceman later in the shift right in front of our net, with the other team picking up the puck and scoring. Shame to have that make such a big difference.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009

I ended up playing D (we had 2 people who voluntarily played D, and so myself and my friend Mary [who is essentially a pylon at this point]) played D. I made sure we were not on the ice for much time. We ended up losing 5-4 after being up 4-2 in the third, but I ended up with a +1 rating, no points, 2 SOG and 0 PIM. The league was way more intense than I was expecting. Mary and I were by far the worst players on the team, but I managed to make some plays (and get beat badly on a few too).

For the record, the reffing was as bad as my play. Their tying goal in the third was after first tripping up our forward in the attacking zone, then tripping our defenceman later in the shift right in front of our net, with the other team picking up the puck and scoring. Shame to have that make such a big difference.

Congrats on your first hockey game. I still remember my first hockey game. Had the puck going along the boards and got absolutely smashed into the boards by a defender. :laugh:

As long as your teammates were understanding, it had to be a ton of fun!

Last edited:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Congrats!

Also get used to terrible reffing :laugh: you will very seldom have a game where you agree with the way it was reffed.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Congrats!

Also get used to terrible reffing :laugh: you will very seldom have a game where you agree with the way it was reffed.

Hah, yeah, but in this case it was just bizarre. They insisted that the trips were accidental, but when it leads directly to a goal, you kind of have to call something, right? They called one penalty all game, and it was for a trip in the first period in the neutral zone (against us).

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Anglesmith, I want to hear about all the games you play! Idk, I enjoy other people talking about their hockey games. :laugh:

Anyways, I'd thought I'd bring this topic to the calgary Flames HF board:

Do you value an Olympic Gold or a Stanley Cup more?

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
Anglesmith, I want to hear about all the games you play! Idk, I enjoy other people talking about their hockey games. :laugh:

They are so incredibly close for me. I'm far more invested into the Flames, it's a lifestyle for most of us. It's a year long journey and winning it is biggest prize in all of sports. That said the Olympic gold brings out national pride. Competing against the world in our Nation's most cherished sport. They are both are very important to me, but the VERRRRY slight edge goes to the Cup.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

Stanley Cup, not even close. I'm much more invested in the Flames than the Canadian Olympic team, Olympics come every four years and Canada is usually the favourite to win it. Not saying I don't value the Gold, I was in Van for the Golden Goal and it was so much fun to feel at one with all Canadian hockey fans, one of the craziest nights of my life. Winning the Cup would just mean more as a life-long fan of a hockey team.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

I'm going to go with what I assume still be the less popular choice and say Cup. People make the argument
That winning a gold medal is better because its for the whole country, but Canada has been waiting longer for another Cup than it has for a gold medal.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm going to go with what I assume still be the less popular choice and say Cup. People make the argument
That winning a gold medal is better because its for the whole country, but Canada has been waiting longer for another Cup than it has for a gold medal.

I don't think it's less popular at all. Olympic success is basically just a product of how into the game your country is and how many people play the sport. As Canadians, we are basically guaranteed to be favourites for a gold every four years. I think a Stanley Cup is harder to win, and is thus more gratifying for fans.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Stanley Cup and it's not even in the same stratosphere for me.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Stanley Cup and it's not even in the same stratosphere for me.

When Canada wins an international hockey tournament, I'm happy and all, but I kind of feel like we didn't really earn it because of our advantage. When your organization wins a Cup, there is no question that it was hard-earned.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
When Canada wins an international hockey tournament, I'm happy and all, but I kind of feel like we didn't really earn it because of our advantage. When your organization wins a Cup, there is no question that it was hard-earned.
There is also the heartbreak. It sucks when Canada loses and all, but when the Flames lost in game 7 to Tampa I was shattered. It was like part of me died.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net

There isn't nearly as big of advantage as you might think. The Russians have always gave us problems, and the USA, Sweden and even Swiss are getting better every year.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
I don't know, for me I guess it's a stage of life. Since I live in the USA as a Canadian, there will be nothing sweeter than winning gold and not hearing a peep from Americans about how Canada sucks and whatnot.

Will be even better if we win more golds/total medals than the USA.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I just got back from my second game. It ended in a tie 8-8. Hard to keep track, but I think I was on the ice for 2 goals each way, so I maintained my plus 1 rating on the season. It was really cool how much more composed I was the second time. The first game, I was just finding the puck and firing it up the boards, but this time I was actually taking my time and making decisions. I even managed to shake guys and make plays with the puck this game, rather than only contributing with a poke check here and an interception there. Made some good passes and had a good shot on net that had a realistic chance of going in or being deflected.

I played D again, and there were only 8 players at the beginning of the game not including the goalie, which meant only 3 D. It was ridiculous. I was beginning to worry about my health when two more guys showed up and we could roll 4 again. It was such a difference maker, and I was able to skate a lot harder after that knowing I could get a full shift off afterwards.

There was also an incident in the game where one of our guys, who was sick of the other team's "stars" taking advantage of the no-contact rule and cutting into the slot at will, stood up one of their guys with a pretty big hit (really, he just refused to get out of the way when the guy cut in on him), and the guy responded by cross-checking him in the head, then two-hand slashing his neck on the follow-through. Makes me worried that I might accidentally fall into someone and start a ruckus at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad