The Negativity-**Only** Thread (A Place to go to vent) II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Because the Pacific is so bad, I see five central teams making it, and I believe we'll be fourth or fifth from our division. 16 of 30 teams make it, so being a playoff team isn't an accomplishment.

I see very little chance we make it past round 1
Actually as the 5th place team I like our chances. It means they will play a Pacific team in the first round as long as it is not the Kings then they actually have a shot. It is the Central that scares me.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
Posted this in the observations thread, but figured it was worth repeating here. Performance over the last week or so has been disappointing, but the team's possession is great (among the best in the league) and our PDO is a bit below the expected level; believe we will rebound over the long term as the season moves on, but are probably a #3-#5 team in the Central at the end of the day:

ea5b5900-976e-11e5-9be9-71fb8328f8f1_fsdafsafdsfd.png

Chart courtesy of PuckDaddy.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
I've said it before and I'll say it again...we're gonna have a lot of trouble moving forward if we don't make a trade for some help up front. The fact that we have the most defense with 9+ points in the NHL, is a great thing, but it also shows that we are not getting the scoring we need up front.

Colin Wilson needs a change of scenery and above that I'm moving my stance from one piece away to a couple. We need a #1C or something extremely close and really another Neal/Forsberg skilled/top flight talent winger. We have too many meddling, middle of the road wings.

The free agency corps is pretty good this year IF some of them even get to July. We need a shakeup. Not just call ups if we want to compete like we did at the very beginning of the season. Otherwise, I don't see us making the playoffs.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I've said it before and I'll say it again...we're gonna have a lot of trouble moving forward if we don't make a trade for some help up front. The fact that we have the most defense with 9+ points in the NHL, is a great thing, but it also shows that we are not getting the scoring we need up front.

Colin Wilson needs a change of scenery and above that I'm moving my stance from one piece away to a couple. We need a #1C or something extremely close and really another Neal/Forsberg skilled/top flight talent winger. We have too many meddling, middle of the road wings.

The free agency corps is pretty good this year IF some of them even get to July. We need a shakeup. Not just call ups if we want to compete like we did at the very beginning of the season. Otherwise, I don't see us making the playoffs.

More than that. We basically need a complete re-do of our forwards. I said this weeks ago and was someone laughed at me. Everyone but Forsberg and Neal must go. and I mean everyone.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
More than that. We basically need a complete re-do of our forwards. I said this weeks ago and was someone laughed at me. Everyone but Forsberg and Neal must go. and I mean everyone.

I mean, I may extend the list and keep Smith but outside of that I see your point. And it's the point that Byrd and I were trying to make. That if you remember what Buffalo looked like about 3 years ago or so, i.e Pominville, Vanek, Myers, Stafford, Sekera, Miller, Gerbe (not great I know, but still, not terrible), they are all gone. We aren't as far away as some people think we are from rebuild mode. Now if Poile was anything like Murray, he'd sell the farm and actually get players in return that help that turnaround a whole lot quicker, i.e Kane, O'Reilly, Gorges, Bogosian...you get the picture. But Poile is patient and steady. Rinne's window is getting slimmer by the game now, not the year and you have to wonder if we miss the playoffs or continually get knocked out of the 1st round, don't you think a guy like Weber may ask out so he can get to the finals and try to win a cup before his window is over? (I'm almost positive he doesn't have a NTC)

I love GMDP for the kind of top flight executive around the league he's been, but like Trotz, certain things get stale after a while. I respect the man, but is it his time to go? Certainly he recognizes, like us, that there are way more problems within this roster than he originally thought when the season began.

Last thing and I'll get off my soapbox, but you do not need 5 superstuds and one veteran defense and be called game in and game out the best defense in the league to win a stanley cup. You can do it with a scoring offense and a backend that boasts a great trio of top 3 defensemen, a very good 4th and a decent 3rd pair. Chicago won with Roszival and Trevor Van Riemsdyk on the 3rd pair last year for Christ's sake and Oduya on the second pair with Hjalmarsson....Oduya! Their top 3? Seabrook, Keith, and Hjalmarsson... A guy that many of us didn't even want to sign for our 3rd pair! What I'm trying to say is, maybe we don't have to blow it up, but we can definitely afford to get rid of some of these middle, tweener type forwards, Wilson/Smith, and atleast 1 defenseman to fill our forward needs. Hell, I'd even consider moving 2 defenseman (Jones & Ellis) if I was sure I could get a return that had a formidable 2nd or 3rd pairing guy. We're seeing Dallas win with offense....their defense (haven't checked the stats) but on paper is not even worth a sniff compared to ours. The difference? Their Top 6. Seguin, Spezza, Benn, Nichushkin, Sharp, and Hemsky with Janmark and Eaves sprinkled in on the second line every now and then. I know that was 8 but you get the point I'm trying to make.

Neal and Forsberg, and even Smith work their ***** off to create scoring chances and get shots but how much easier could they work and relax and just play their game if they had a legitimate top line center. The time is now...not the deadline...the central is too good and the more you slip, the next thing you know you're the 2014 Colorado Avalanche....coming off of a high the year before only to realize you're right back to mediocrity.

Last edited:

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I mean, I may extend the list and keep Smith but outside of that I see your point. And it's the point that Byrd and I were trying to make. That if you remember what Buffalo looked like about 3 years ago or so, i.e Pominville, Vanek, Myers, Stafford, Sekera, Miller, Gerbe (not great I know, but still, not terrible), they are all gone. We aren't as far away as some people think we are from rebuild mode. Now if Poile was anything like Murray, he'd sell the farm and actually get players in return that help that turnaround a whole lot quicker, i.e Kane, O'Reilly, Gorges, Bogosian...you get the picture. But Poile is patient and steady. Rinne's window is getting slimmer by the game now, not the year and you have to wonder if we miss the playoffs or continually get knocked out of the 1st round, don't you think a guy like Weber may ask out so he can get to the finals and try to win a cup before his window is over? (I'm almost positive he doesn't have a NTC)

I love GMDP for the kind of top flight executive around the league he's been, but like Trotz, certain things get stale after a while. I respect the man, but is it his time to go? Certainly he recognizes, like us, that there are way more problems within this roster than he originally thought when the season began.

Last thing and I'll get off my soapbox, but you do not need 5 superstuds and one veteran defense and be called game in and game out the best defense in the league to win a stanley cup. You can do it with a scoring offense and a backend that boasts a great trio of top 3 defensemen, a very good 4th and a decent 3rd pair. Chicago won with Roszival and Trevor Van Riemsdyk on the 3rd pair last year for Christ's sake and Oduya on the second pair with Hjalmarsson....Oduya! Their top 3? Seabrook, Keith, and Hjalmarsson... A guy that many of us didn't even want to sign for our 3rd pair! What I'm trying to say is, maybe we don't have to blow it up, but we can definitely afford to get rid of some of these middle, tweener type forwards, Wilson/Smith, and atleast 1 defenseman to fill our forward needs. Hell, I'd even consider moving 2 defenseman (Jones & Ellis) if I was sure I could get a return that had a formidable 2nd or 3rd pairing guy. We're seeing Dallas win with offense....their defense (haven't checked the stats) but on paper is not even worth a sniff compared to ours. The difference? Their Top 6. Seguin, Spezza, Benn, Nichushkin, Sharp, and Hemsky with Janmark and Eaves sprinkled in on the second line every now and then. I know that was 8 but you get the point I'm trying to make.

Neal and Forsberg, and even Smith work their ***** off to create scoring chances and get shots but how much easier could they work and relax and just play their game if they had a legitimate top line center. The time is now...not the deadline...the central is too good and the more you slip, the next thing you know you're the 2014 Colorado Avalanche....coming off of a high the year before only to realize you're right back to mediocrity.

Your exactly right and that is just where we are mediocre. Even the vaunted backend is being affected. They are now relied on to produce the scoring punch which has led to overloading the D with guys that can score. Poile should have never moved Klein There would have been no need for Jackman. You can't have Weber, Josi, Ellis all thinking scoring first. Sur you need two of them especially on the PP but then again how effective has the PP been the last two years. The PK is turning into just as much of a joke as the PP.

As for Smith well while he may give all the effort in the world hes on pace for what 29 or 30 points. And without competent centers around him it could well be less. If Fish misses an extended period we may see Smith with 15 goals and 15 asst. That's nothing to be encouraged about. Effort in his case in this line-up just does not matter. The real problem is I doubt Poile would find anyone now to take him in a simple hockey trade. The term of his contract and 4.025 mil hit will likely place him the category of needing another piece added to move him. I would like nothing more than to see him gone but its probably not going to happen.

Your exactly right about Weber as well in two years is this team still flounders its easy to see him asking to get out. Then whats the recapture feel like???? This team needs to rebuild arround Neal and Forsberg who hopefully do not take steps back. Right now shut those two down and your chances of beating the Preds is pretty good. Im really concerned about Rinne He had a hot start then fell right back to the level he was after the allstar break last year. His elite days may be done, he can still be a darn good goalie but last year could well have been his last hurrahaaaa. He can be serviceable for a few more years but hings indicate the Veznia guy is gone. Was it Korn or the hip who knows or as a politician would say "what does it matter". He is where he is now has a confidence problem and an ineffective forward group.

Its in Poiles hands now and there will be more and more pressure on him before Jan. 1 to do something.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
This is a ****ing joke. Come on Preds, get your **** together. It's December already! :shakehead:rant:

Ellis with a stupid and selfish penalty. Come on man, know the time and situation! Also, Helm for the Oscar, what a great performance, dead to perfectly fine in less than a second!!

Forsberg, at some point you have to start to bury some of these chances. Shots are great, but holy ****, find a way to score!

Wilson,.....sigh. FIND. A. WAY....Yes the effort is there, but again, do something with it! Yes Wilson, we all know that everyone goes through slumps, but you've been in a slump since Oct.8. This is more than a slump by now. YOU HAVE ONE GOAL IN 25 GAMES. This is you. Eric Nystrom has more goals than you and he's missed at least 8 games. Every year it's the same damn thing, except last year you put on a show and convinced everyone you had broken through.

At least Smith got benched for his suckage.

Pekka. I hate yelling at you because you're such a nice person. But come on. You make save-of-the-year-saves and then let in crap goals. What the hell.

OT...is it written in the rule book that we are never allowed to play offense in OT? It's even strength, force them to turn the puck over and actually play offense for more than 2 seconds!

WIN A FACEOFF!!!!

I thought we were supposed to be an attacking team? So we just get a two goal lead, TWICE, and decide to sit back? **** that ****. Where is the killer instinct, the "keep your skate on their throat" mentality?

It's almost like they think that just because they had one good year that everyone will bow down to them or that they can just turn it on at any time. No, everyone is gunning for them now and when times get tough they have no answer. Sure they may, occasionally, push hard but they've been mostly wilting in one way or another whether it's the PK, goaltending, taking a bad penalty, bad play, or just bad luck.

This team has absolutely no confidence in any single player right now.

At least they kind of own it....

In case anyone can't read that, Pekka's quote:
“Right now, any mistake we make, it ends up in the back of the net. It’s many things. I can’t make the key saves and we keep making the mistakes at key moments, taking penalties. Right now, our PK is garbage right now and I’m a big part of that, too. It’s what it is. This one is a tough one to take, first one on the road. But move on."

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
I guess it's negative that it's really hard to find anything good to grasp on. Luckily, there are some very talented prospects in next year's draft.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
What's frustrating is watching us go on a 3-1 and their goalie makes the save, the play turns around and their player scores on a breakaway. On the breakaway, Rinne usually loses.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
In the last 12 games this team has scored 20 goals. In the next 10 games this same pace will remove them from a playoff position. The last 12 was against a weaker section of the schedule and the next 10 are BRUTAL. I am having a difficult time seeing .500 hockey in the next 10. Currently pacing at 96 points, 213 GF, 219 GA past the 1/3 mark of the season. Have to think if after these next 10 we will be then be sellers at the trade deadline. How deep will Poile go in the sell off?

PredsHabs

Jul 9, 2013
Lyles,TN
In the last 12 games this team has scored 20 goals. In the next 10 games this same pace will remove them from a playoff position. The last 12 was against a weaker section of the schedule and the next 10 are BRUTAL. I am having a difficult time seeing .500 hockey in the next 10. Currently pacing at 96 points, 213 GF, 219 GA past the 1/3 mark of the season. Have to think if after these next 10 we will be then be sellers at the trade deadline. How deep will Poile go in the sell off?

I hope it is so deep it shockingly hurts some of us.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
This team needs to rebuild arround Neal and Forsberg who hopefully do not take steps back. Right now shut those two down and your chances of beating the Preds is pretty good.

Hell, what shutting down is necessary? Neal and Forsberg are only marginally better than the rest of them this year.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Some observations - Wilson and Smith have fleeced us so far! Wilson should have been traded over the summer and Smith should have never got more than 3-3.2m on a 1-2 yr contract. Wilson getting almost 4m per is another Gaustad/Nystrom contract that no other teams is gonna want.

Seth is not a prime time player imho, I know he is very young but his untimely mistakes turns into goals for the other team. He shows no toughness whatsoever (maybe because he is so young). He needs to acquire an attitude! We know GMDP loves him and has said he will not trade him BUT I think that is a HUGE mistake! I would package Jones and Wilson for a 1C. Not saying this would cure all our ills but it would be a start.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Yep, like Byrd said the next 10-20 games will determine the future of this season. Right now, it looks really bad but a couple of wins and Wilson, Smith etc. get their game going, ship can turn around pretty quickly. As of now, we are not even close to being a playoff team.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Yep, like Byrd said the next 10-20 games will determine the future of this season. Right now, it looks really bad but a couple of wins and Wilson, Smith etc. get their game going, ship can turn around pretty quickly. As of now, we are not even close to being a playoff team.

Even several wins and we are not a playoff team. Yeah several wins may put this team in a playoff spot, but this team will get swept in the first round. Need to ship off about 4 or 5 players for some fresh blood.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
Even several wins and we are not a playoff team. Yeah several wins may put this team in a playoff spot, but this team will get swept in the first round. Need to ship off about 4 or 5 players for some fresh blood.

Yep, you're right there are so many things that are not working right now. The potential is there, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad