The Negativity-**Only** Thread (A Place to go to vent) II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
A different strand of negativity...

Sean Monahan has 31 goals and 62 points. I sure hope Seth becomes the "second coming," because I wouldn't mind adding a 60-point "two-way center" to the current lineup at all.
We were almost certainly drafting whoever was left from Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin and Barkov. I doubt we would've drafted Monahan regardless of how the chips fell.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Patience, Iron Duke - no less an authority than David Poile said he's never seen a young Dman so ready and he was clearly the best in the draft class..... Yep, the same David Poile that said how Co*y Franson had become one of the top Dmen in the nhl - why you snickering?

Everyone said it was Trotz - Trotz couldn't get the guys to play O, he always thought D first - I say BS (and I point to everyone saying Trotz couldn't get Ovy to play, or that his production would crater, too). It was Poile. Poile drafted. Poile traded. Poile signed free agents. Poile is the one who failed to bring in the O talent; Poile is the one that gave a first for Goose and then signed a 4th line C to that contract. Poile is the one who signed Hendricks and Nystrom to those contracts; who said Cullen was the kinda' guy we needed to nurture our young guys. Poile's talent is being able to get better talent on a budget than you'd expect, to find useful parts in the recycle bins; he's not the GM to build a team with the talent Lavi needs.
I find it hard to lay all the blame with Poile. I think there were some real positives in the roster building over the off-season, and it was certainly a team that should have challenged and successfully made the playoffs. I don't believe, by any stretch, that this was intended as the "final build" for the roster, and do believe the level of early/mid-season success was surprising. I was not a fan of the Toronto trade, but can see the reasoning, and also believe Poile is too much of a collaborator to not have had Lavy's complete support in bringing Fransorelli in.

Honestly, I see a lot more in terms of execution, effort level, mental mistakes, and X's and O's that is wiping us out than simply roster deficiencies or chemistry issues.

Guess I'm mostly just bummed that a 20-year old defenseman hasn't perfected his game yet and that this team that was so enjoyable to watch for such big stretches of the season is now just a point of frustration and disappointment.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I just don't understand what happens between the first and second periods! GAMES ARE 60 ****ING MINUTES!!!

DAMMIT GET YOUR ****ING **** TOGETHER YOU *******S! YOU PISSED AWAY THE REGULAR SEASON, NOW IS YOUR SECOND CHANCE TO FINISH THIS SEASON RIGHT!!!!

When the other team scores they should just put two up on the board. It's almost automatic the other team scores 2 super quick.

Everything was in their hands and they just pissed it all away. And to top it off now freaking calgary has become the darling and, according to some opinions, just won the jack adams and calder and maybe the norris.

Steve has said it in the Obs thread an I have said it here but I'll say it again more forcefully... I think our coaches suck. Housley is supposed to be an offensive coach but somehow we run a PP with Weber either on the second pair or not at all... WTF???

Lavy has no clue. He is not an X's and O's coach. When the other team figures out what to do to neutralize his system, he's screwed..

Not trying to turn this into a "would we have been better off with Trotz" discussion, but I suspect Trotz would have recognized that Pekka was going mental a long time ago and would have had the team pull in extra tight on defense to protect him and let him get his confidence back... even if lost a couple of 2-1 or 1-0 games, I think Pekka would have regained his confidence... as it is, we are still the same gambling, free wheeling team that gives up loads of turnovers and odd man rushes and Pekka has to feel like he's the bear in the shooting galley every night...

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
To put things in perspective, our record over the last 20 games is 6-11-3. 15 points in 20 games. That averages out to 61 points in an 82 game season.

Where would that rank us?

3rd / tied with Edmonton, with only Buffalo and Phoenix being worse at 54 and 56 points respectively (and they each have a game to play).

The predators haven't just been bad, they have been horrendous. They probably have the lowest points scored over the last 20 games. They are playing like the worst team in the league, not a playoff team. This is why we are upset.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Steve has said it in the Obs thread an I have said it here but I'll say it again more forcefully... I think our coaches suck. Housley is supposed to be an offensive coach but somehow we run a PP with Weber either on the second pair or not at all... WTF???

Lavy has no clue. He is not an X's and O's coach. When the other team figures out what to do to neutralize his system, he's screwed..

Not trying to turn this into a "would we have been better off with Trotz" discussion, but I suspect Trotz would have recognized that Pekka was going mental a long time ago and would have had the team pull in extra tight on defense to protect him and let him get his confidence back... even if lost a couple of 2-1 or 1-0 games, I think Pekka would have regained his confidence... as it is, we are still the same gambling, free wheeling team that gives up loads of turnovers and odd man rushes and Pekka has to feel like he's the bear in the shooting galley every night...

Pulling the defense in wouldn't have helped Rinne with some of the bad goals he's given up. The one against Colorado the other night was horrendous and he had his two best defenders in front of him on that play. He let a wrister from just inside the blue line beat him. No defensive strategy change could've helped on that one.

I remember a time when Pekka would get mad at his defenders for being in his way when giving up goals. He has no fire right now. He knows it's on him at this point.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Pulling the defense in wouldn't have helped Rinne with some of the bad goals he's given up. The one against Colorado the other night was horrendous and he had his two best defenders in front of him on that play. He let a wrister from just inside the blue line beat him. No defensive strategy change could've helped on that one.

I remember a time when Pekka would get mad at his defenders for being in his way when giving up goals. He has no fire right now. He knows it's on him at this point.

Were just gonna have to disagree here Glenn (I know, shocker.. ) I think part of Pekka mental problem right now is he knows he's going to get hung out to dry and so he's doing the goalie equivalent of squeezing the stick.. he gets jumpy and fights the puck and then eventually one gets in and he's just shot...

he needs a couple of games where he can know that the whole team is working to keep anything from even getting through to him

This also begs the question.. with nothing on the line tomorrow do we rest Rinne or let him try to play himself back into form?

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Were just gonna have to disagree here Glenn (I know, shocker.. ) I think part of Pekka mental problem right now is he knows he's going to get hung out to dry and so he's doing the goalie equivalent of squeezing the stick.. he gets jumpy and fights the puck and then eventually one gets in and he's just shot...

he needs a couple of games where he can know that the whole team is working to keep anything from even getting through to him

This also begs the question.. with nothing on the line tomorrow do we rest Rinne or let him try to play himself back into form?

I don't totally disagree with you here. He is holding it too tight. He makes that amazing save on Tanguay but gives us a wrister to Fishon. He made some great saves last night and really didn't give up a bad goal on the night. We couldn't finish on a few good chances. One of those goes in and we're protecting a 3-2 lead. We don't get one called back against us the other night and the same thing, 3-2 in the third. As Steve says, hockey is a funny game. As good as it was and as poor as we've been it could turn back around in a matter of seconds.

Never say die.

jstreet

LETS GO PREDS
Jan 15, 2004
FL via Nashville
www.twitter.com
Negativity - Coaching

1. Hitchcock is running 5 forwards on the power play right now. Im not saying we should do something like that, but as atrocious as our special teams have been, when was the last time you saw our coaching staff change things up or get creative?

We've tried different guys on the point but that is mostly affected by who is in the lineup. The only thing that comes to mind was Cullen being on a unit earlier in the season.

2. Olli Freaking Jokinen looks like a different player in St Louis than he did in Nashville. Set up their first goal against the Wild on a pretty good rush up ice. It sure is kinda looking like he was misused by our coaching staff like he mentioned on his way out of Nashville.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
2. Olli Freaking Jokinen looks like a different player in St Louis than he did in Nashville. Set up their first goal against the Wild on a pretty good rush up ice. It sure is kinda looking like he was misused by our coaching staff like he mentioned on his way out of Nashville.

I don't know if OJ is being used as a center in St. Louis but it's a fact that we didn't and we misused him by playing him outside of his natural position.

goeb

Oct 24, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
I hate being a hindsight guy but....this is why you do not make big trade deadline deals, the Franson trade wasn't needed really, he was a high scoring defenseman on a lackluster hockey club. Probably threw off the chemistry.

That being said, i am still hopeful the Preds can turn it around.

jstreet

LETS GO PREDS
Jan 15, 2004
FL via Nashville
www.twitter.com
Here is a fun bit of negative history currently playing out

in 2008, Ottawa wanted to move up in the draft. They traded their 18th and an additional 2009 pick to us for our 15th.

They chose Karlsson who will get more Norris votes than Weber again.

We chose Chet Picard (bust) in 2008 and Taylor Beck in 2009.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Venting procedure start:

****! Put your ****ing body on the wilting flower wearing number 88!

Jesus ****ing Christ! Stack up the front of the net and send this mother ****ing back up behind the bench where he belongs!

God damn it, ****! Son of a ***** Lavi, get this team to come out with some fire and ****ing jam in a 2nd period will ya?

Venting procedure end.

gopreds19

Formerly gobears19
Nov 10, 2008
Houston
Anyone not see this coming from miles away? Same story.....every playoffs. Fire Poile and get someone who can get us forwards. It was inevitable his would happen when we can't control the puck and thus play in our end the entire game.

You think he would learn after Wings, Sharks x2, Vancouver, Chi x2 all best us in the exact same fashion. Acquire forwards you dumbass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad