The Negativity-**Only** Thread (A Place to go to vent) II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

jwhouk

Former Cheesehead, Always a Preds Fan
Apr 19, 2004
Valley of the Sun
jwhouk.net
Did I mention, in reference to my issues from earlier in this thread, that I got a new car?

Sometimes, you have to realize that you can't hold on to something forever.

worstfaceoffmanever

These Snacks Are Odd
Jun 2, 2007
Fargo, ND
Rinne, if he qualified in both stats, would rank 14th in goals against average and 19th in save percentage among 47 qualifying goaltenders (counting Rinne) in the league. Mazanec would rank 35th and 39th in those categories, respectively, while Hutton would rank 40th and 42nd. If Rinne, at his pre-injury pace, played all of Hutton and Mazanec's minutes, the difference would be 11 goals against (80 vs. 91). Knock those 11 goals off our total and we go from 129 to 118 - 13th in the West to 8th, and we probably turn three losses into wins and sit a point out of a playoff spot on this idle night rather than 7 back and fading.

That kind of dramatic change in a team's quality in goal will radically alter results. That doesn't mean the team lacks intensity or passion, and you can't really blame the defense for not being Jesus on wheat. It just means the goalies are bad. Trading our best player won't solve it, nor will firing our coach. This was the risk the organization took when they invested so much in Rinne, and sometimes people take risks and get burned. That's the nature of a risk.

When I look at those numbers, I seriously doubt the dismissal of Trotz that so many people are clamoring for - myself included - would change much. The goalies would still make mistakes, still get burned, and still cost the team games.

Honestly, there isn't much choice at this point other than ride it out and take what comes, but the team has been really poorly managed from a macro perspective, and that's on Poile. He doesn't have the cap space to go get a goalie, which is something he should have done in the off-season rather than putting all his chips on Rinne coming off surgery, and he lacks that cap space because he has spent so much money on checking forwards, spare parts, and Stalberg, who has been a complete dud (disappointingly, but not that shockingly).

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
Do you get the feeling that our management doesn't have any guts or doesn't care

1. Poile is probably busy with Team USA.
2. They don't have the guts.
3. Poile strikes me as the kind of guy who will only make a move if it is perfect. I would guess he is shopping around, but won't deal for quite a while.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
I think they fully believe this season is because Peka was hurt and they are not going to do a darn thing until a seasob like this happens when Peka is healthy.
Plenty of other teams have played with back up goalies this year and have been just fine. Why because they have good coaching and adapt.
This team is going to ride on excuses and live on having the special longest tenured coach in the NHL

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Do you get the feeling that our management doesn't have any guts or doesn't care
Realistically the only change you're going to get at this point is a coaching change. Even if this is more on Poile than it is on Trotz, there's only so much that a GM can do mid-season to change the course of a team (and drastic/panic moves could just create more harm in the long-term anyway). So the question is whether this is on Trotz, and if a new coach would be able to make up any substantial ground in the next 3 months.

Frankly, I think Rinne coming back could solve some of the woes, but who knows when that will be.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
Yep, Peka is going to hide this teams lack of coaching and strategy again when he gets back. Sadly, i doubt it's going to happen this year.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I think they fully believe this season is because Peka was hurt and they are not going to do a darn thing until a seasob like this happens when Peka is healthy.
Plenty of other teams have played with back up goalies this year and have been just fine. Why because they have good coaching and adapt.
This team is going to ride on excuses and live on having the special longest tenured coach in the NHL

And this is the problem with the team and franchise, there always seems to be an excuse. One guy goes down and it's, well, we were without so and so. I love how they use Josi and Weber as being out as a big deal. Josi missed some time but Weber was out what, a week and they use that as a reason why we haven't been good this year. It's a freaking joke. There is no accountability.

Funny thing is if you read other people's opinions outside of this fan base, many were offended at Trotz going off on Hutton and many think Trotz and Poile need to be gone. It's not just us that see this problem. If only management saw it. I still can't get over the email I received from Sean Henry about this and that he believes in the guys running the team. If he feels they're going in the right direction, I think he's going to be sadly let down by the team and the fan base. I think when someone like myself who loved going and would go to games on my death bed is not interested in stepping foot inside 501, something is wrong. It ain't me I can tell you that.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
And this is the problem with the team and franchise, there always seems to be an excuse. One guy goes down and it's, well, we were without so and so. I love how they use Josi and Weber as being out as a big deal. Josi missed some time but Weber was out what, a week and they use that as a reason why we haven't been good this year. It's a freaking joke. There is no accountability.

Funny thing is if you read other people's opinions outside of this fan base, many were offended at Trotz going off on Hutton and many think Trotz and Poile need to be gone. It's not just us that see this problem. If only management saw it. I still can't get over the email I received from Sean Henry about this and that he believes in the guys running the team. If he feels they're going in the right direction, I think he's going to be sadly let down by the team and the fan base. I think when someone like myself who loved going and would go to games on my death bed is not interested in stepping foot inside 501, something is wrong. It ain't me I can tell you that.

Depends on what ownership's expectations were for the season. If they expected us to be a playoff team, then yeah, they've clearly got their head in the clouds. If they expected it to be a challenging year, and the team might be looking at a lottery pick again, well, there wouldn't be any real reason for them to make changes.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Depends on what ownership's expectations were for the season. If they expected us to be a playoff team, then yeah, they've clearly got their head in the clouds. If they expected it to be a challenging year, and the team might be looking at a lottery pick again, well, there wouldn't be any real reason for them to make changes.

Then why the need for excuses? If they were expecting bigger things, winners don't make excuses. If they thought they'd be bad, why use the injury excuse, there's no reason for it. All they would have to say is we're where we thought we'd be at this time and no further explanation would be needed.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Then why the need for excuses? If they were expecting bigger things, winners don't make excuses. If they thought they'd be bad, why use the injury excuse, there's no reason for it. All they would have to say is we're where we thought we'd be at this time and no further explanation would be needed.

I doubt many teams are going to come out and say they expected to be also-rans and that another wasted season fits within their long-term plans. At least, not if they expect any fan support moving forward. I also think that even with an under talented team, having a guy like Rinne in net always gives the team a chance to be competitive and take a run at a playoff spot. Poor as the team has performed, you replace Hutton and Maz with Rinne in even a handful of games over the last couple of months and you're pretty easily sitting 8-10 points up of where we are now.

roseyc

Mar 23, 2010

They've fell on injury bug for years. They said the short season and the injuries. That doesn't explain the money spent on the grinders if they didn't think they weren't going to the playoffs. Nobody spends money on grinders if they don't think they are a playoff team.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
They've fell on injury bug for years. They said the short season and the injuries. That doesn't explain the money spent on the grinders if they didn't think they weren't going to the playoffs. Nobody spends money on grinders if they don't think they are a playoff team.

Well, if you're looking at rolling quite a bit of youth into your offense over a couple of seasons, it isn't a poor investment to bring in some steady, strong work ethic guys to play the tough minutes. I'm not sure if that was the plan, but I'd rather see that than dumping inexperienced guys into the bottom 6 minutes and get waxed even worse than we are now. For example, Lombardi brought in guys like Michal Handzus, Kyle Calder, Scott Thornton, Matt Ellis, Brian Willsie back around '08. But who knows what the plan is...I don't really expect them to honestly share it with us.

roseyc

Mar 23, 2010

The real reason is that they don't won't to spend high dollar for players they were trapped with Weber or he'd be gone. That may be the only reason they are still here in Nashville. Holding down the cost

Top 6 Spaling

Jun 23, 2010
Smashville
The real reason is that they don't won't to spend high dollar for players they were trapped with Weber or he'd be gone. That may be the only reason they are still here in Nashville. Holding down the cost

When why did we spend stupid money on a bunch of redundant grinders?

roseyc

Mar 23, 2010
The thing that is sad is that the one's who post on this board are real fans and we have lost hope. We all would go to as many games as possible. Not everyone who enters the building is a diehard. They go to have something to do. But the furor of the diehards is contagious and the in betweens feed off of us and our enthusiasm. When our internal fire are dimmed then we can't spread the flame. Management doesn't recognize this

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
True that's why i said "for starters" i can name several others if need be. I'm sure then it will still be oh they are a better team.
Well, probably. Still, at a certain point, a team can't be reliant on the health of one player for their success. While we'd be closer to contention with Rinne healthy, and our backups haven't been stellar, the players need to find a way to get it done.

But we just don't compare to an LA or Chicago even if fully healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad