The Michael McCarron Thread - Part III : Biggerer, Strongerer and Meanerer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I'd prefer him to be more of a playmaker. I find that goalscoring wingers are far more common than playmaking ones. It could add a unique element to the team, on top of his already unique size.

Interesting indeed. McCarron could be like J.Thornton style wise as a big guy who prefers to pass (obviously not as good). Imagine Putting him on Ellers wing? Perfect line to put a smaller skill guy on LW and give him tons of space by playing with powerforwards.

radicalcenter

Feb 10, 2013
Interesting indeed. McCarron could be like J.Thornton style wise as a big guy who prefers to pass (obviously not as good). Imagine Putting him on Ellers wing? Perfect line to put a smaller skill guy on LW and give him tons of space by playing with powerforwards.

Lehkonen-Eller-McCarron :handclap:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012

I get the comparison in that he tends to playmake and has decent vision (obviously no where near the level of Jumbo), but that's where the comparison ends, aside from the obvious size. Stylistically, I don't think they play a similar game at all. If McCarron plays the way we expect him to, he'll drive the net, drop the gloves and play a physical game. Thornton generally doesn't do any of that, but he's quite successful when he does, which is why we like to rag on Thornton.

King Niinimaa*

Might be cool I guess :sarcasm:
Lehkonen will never make it though. It was horrible trying to register a username and watch all the finns pulling massive homers and comparing him to Koivu. The days of unconscious wandering are over, I've arrived with the truth. It's not about being concussion prone, he's just painfully mediocre player with a ceiling to be a potential 40-45 point player in FEL.

BlackStar

Aug 12, 2010
Lehkonen will never make it though. It was horrible trying to register a username and watch all the finns pulling massive homers and comparing him to Koivu. The days of unconscious wandering are over, I've arrived with the truth. It's not about being concussion prone, he's just painfully mediocre player with a ceiling to be a potential 40-45 point player in FEL.

:laugh:

hogtownhabsfan*

really wish we could have traded up to get one of Rychel or Mantha, but oh well, am rooting for McCarron to succeed!

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
McCarron has started off slow, adjusting to new environment, systems, some line juggling ect....
To some of the impatient fans it's been disappointing but it's a big adjustment. It's a quality league.
He's yet to find a groove, lay big hits or make himself a consistent threat on the ice both physically or thru quality chances. He spent to much time pushing n shoving after whistles trying to show he's tough but has slowed that down the last 3 games. Take a number and get em back during the play. :)
His fights were less than impressive but he has shown a willingness to step in when a teammate has gotten the business.
Showing brief flashes of what he can be, good hands , puck protection , board play ect... But has to (and I think will under knights coaching) get more consistent.
He also seems to get gassed quick in shifts.
I said before the year ya gotta give him a couple months before we see what we really have here, and that hasn't changed for me.
I've seen it before with rookies coming in after drafted. Add to that his huge and sometimes awkward movements due to huge frame and its understandable.
He's got skilled teammates and good coaching.
Well start to see the improvement soon IMO

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
I love Mike and i have faith in him as an offensive player but his fighting skills are innexistant. He might developpe a grab and hack style à la Komo or even developpe his punching skills but right now he looks more like a Bickel than a Simmonds. Wich is good.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I love Mike and i have faith in him as an offensive player but his fighting skills are innexistant. He might developpe a grab and hack style à la Komo or even developpe his punching skills but right now he looks more like a Bickel than a Simmonds. Wich is good.

He should work on his fighting technique though, especially in the offseason. We want him to wreck havoc in front of the net so we need him to be able to defend himself, but no, his priority shouldn't be outpunching Lucic. Lucic is a freak of nature. A much more skilled Bickell would be awesome, even though Bickell rarely fights. :shakehead

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
He should work on his fighting technique though...in the offseason. We want him to wreck havoc in front of the net so we need him to be able to defend himself, but no, his priority shouldn't be outpunching Lucic. Lucic is a freak of nature. A much more skilled Bickell would be awesome, even though Bickell rarely fights. :shakehead

He should, but in his last fight nobody understand what he's trying to do. Grab opponent and stare in emptiness. Even his opponent is completly relaxed and not afraid.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
seen couple knights games. Has looked ok but does not look like anything special thus far. few things bugged me was that he was not playing very physical . Last thing we need is a guy with size but as soft as Desharnai . Yes little bit of an exaggeration but still...

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
seen couple knights games. Has looked ok but does not look like anything special thus far. few things bugged me was that he was not playing very physical . Last thing we need is a guy with size but as soft as Desharnai . Yes little bit of an exaggeration but still...

Going from the USHL to the CHL is a huge step up. He's a project, it's no surprise he's tentative. The Knights have a good record developing skill without turning guys into softies, just look at Tinordi.

As much as I didn't love the pick, it's probably a good sign they are focusing on his offensive game first.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Going from the USHL to the CHL is a huge step up. He's a project, it's no surprise he's tentative. The Knights have a good record developing skill without turning guys into softies, just look at Tinordi.

As much as I didn't love the pick, it's probably a good sign they are focusing on his offensive game first.

Although I do hope that is that case. ...Just would have liked to see him finish his checks . It just seemed like he was not even doing that. So I am not referring to fighting but playing physical with an edge. Just did not see it from him in both games. Although its very early but still I don't know...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I like to know how a prospect is doing at any point in the season and thank those who take the time to provide updates. However, to extrapolate the type of player he might become based on year-to-date play or how flawed certain aspects of his game may be at this early stage of his development, is as unreliable as it gets. Let the guy go through his ups and downs -- and let's not make too much of either. Just my 2 cents.

Halifaxhab*

What is wrong with his progression so far? People expect him to be able to make the jump from USNTDP to NHL?

Big guys take longer to reach the NHL, look at Pacioretty. And McCarron plays a decidedly "heavier" game.

He has alot of aspects of his game to work on, conditioning, skating, consistency, awarness of when to hit, etc, etc. But he is in one of the CHL's premier developmental teams in London. The Hunters always do a good job with their players.

In 3/4 years, he should be a great addition to the roster

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
I'll re-iterate what I said a few months ago now that I have seen him play a few times in the OHL:

He is the forward version of Jarred Tinordi. Took the exact same path to the OHL, came as a "project" first rounder. Ended up playing for the Hunters at 18 years old. Many were expecting instant brilliance but were met with the reality that he's in a very good league and getting his feet wet and would look run-of-the-mill for several months before taking major steps.

I'll judge McCarron much more on next season than this one. But the playoffs will be an important time for him.

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont

He is apparently playing with a shoulder injury. I am not overly impressed with his play thus far and have seen him at every home game this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad