OT: The Menu Part 23 - The Tripod & Kenny McCormick Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
so before i go out to try and find it and spend money to maybe not like it...mead..who has had it? what's it like? i assume not so much like beer but more wine-like? where can I get some and what are some good ones

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
so before i go out to try and find it and spend money to maybe not like it...mead..who has had it? what's it like? i assume not so much like beer but more wine-like? where can I get some and what are some good ones
You're not local or I'd send you to a good micro meadery

for those in South Jersey you probably already know about

Last edited:
Reactions: trostol

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
I helped my brother in law make some a few years back. Very good, and yes more like a sweet wine than beer. I think the winery where the PA Ren Faire is has it. Near Lancaster, but I think some liquor stores carry it.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
IMG_0262.jpeg

@JojoTheWhale was it you that had high marks on this distiller? This is unbelievable at a first pass.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
View attachment 895576

@JojoTheWhale was it you that had high marks on this distiller? This is unbelievable at a first pass.

Yes it was! Peregrine was the first Canadian whisky I’ve ever liked and it was just fantastic. I’m so glad you were able to find any of their bottles and enjoyed it. That looks downright viscous.

Did you snag it in PA? I know a guy trying to track their distribution for buying purposes.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Yes it was! Peregrine was the first Canadian whisky I’ve ever liked and it was just fantastic. I’m so glad you were able to find any of their bottles and enjoyed it. That looks downright viscous.

Did you snag it in PA? I know a guy trying to track their distribution for buying purposes.
Ordered it direct from their release page which was surprising, but I feel more of these craft distilleries are doing direct shipping. I know Redwood Empire is shipping direct in Pennsylvania, as is Barrell.

PA liquor control can’t figure out a reasonable distribution framework for Buffalo Trace products—can’t imagine this would be on their list.

And the whiskey itself did have a great mouthfeel. Almost chewy but a ton of depth. Wine finished whiskey is hit or miss, but it’s a place where I think the higher proof argument does have merit.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Ordered it direct from their release page which was surprising, but I feel more of these craft distilleries are doing direct shipping. I know Redwood Empire is shipping direct in Pennsylvania, as is Barrell.

PA liquor control can’t figure out a reasonable distribution framework for Buffalo Trace products—can’t imagine this would be on their list.

And the whiskey itself did have a great mouthfeel. Almost chewy but a ton of depth. Wine finished whiskey is hit or miss, but it’s a place where I think the higher proof argument does have merit.

That wasn’t up for sale for very long, so you did something right. PA is terrible for some things, but your Rare Breed is now $15-20 less than every store within 30 minutes of me. I guess that’s the flip side of $35 Lost Monarch and not being legally able to ship spirits. laugh:

Completely agree on wine finished, but I trust them to get it right. I passed up a Midwinter at MSRP last week because they’ve jacked that thing to the moon. I keep staring at a Tokaji finished bottle of 14 year that has gotten really good reviews. But I’m apprehensive. Maybe I’ll drag a miscreant we both know into trying it with me next week.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
That wasn’t up for sale for very long, so you did something right. PA is terrible for some things, but your Rare Breed is now $15-20 less than every store within 30 minutes of me. I guess that’s the flip side of $35 Lost Monarch and not being legally able to ship spirits. laugh:

Completely agree on wine finished, but I trust them to get it right. I passed up a Midwinter at MSRP last week because they’ve jacked that thing to the moon. I keep staring at a Tokaji finished bottle of 14 year that has gotten really good reviews. But I’m apprehensive. Maybe I’ll drag a miscreant we both know into trying it with me next week.
I think PAs pricing on Rare Breed and 1920 is about the best thing we’ve got going.

Both MWND and blood oath are kind of on that list of wanna try, don’t want to put forth the effort.

And that heathen??? I mean he’s fun in small doses.

• Haha
Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Glad my vice is craft beer and not craft liquor

It's going to crash and it's the one reason I've gotten slightly back into it after selling out a couple of years back. Popular distilleries like High West have doubled the MSRP of their limited yearly releases in the last 2-3 years. It's not sustainable.

The one bright side of the liquor side is that you know anyone who pays secondary markups for a lot of this stuff is a complete idiot. Eagle Rare is gas station liquor, but it's trendy. It should be ~$30. It originally got popular only because it was very good on the scale of its price point. Good luck finding it in NJ for less than 90-120 and it sells out immediately while $100 bottles that drink like $300 limiteds sit there because they're not made by the trendy distillery.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
I think your second paragraph is true for most of the alcohol industry. I used to love going to wineries in NJ and finding wines that were $15 or less and they compared with French well known wines that cost remarkably more.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
It's going to crash and it's the one reason I've gotten slightly back into it after selling out a couple of years back. Popular distilleries like High West have doubled the MSRP of their limited yearly releases in the last 2-3 years. It's not sustainable.

The one bright side of the liquor side is that you know anyone who pays secondary markups for a lot of this stuff is a complete idiot. Eagle Rare is gas station liquor, but it's trendy. It should be ~$30. It originally got popular only because it was very good on the scale of its price point. Good luck finding it in NJ for less than 90-120 and it sells out immediately while $100 bottles that drink like $300 limiteds sit there because they're not made by the trendy distillery.

Reading this instantly reminded me of Titos vodka. Legit well vodka in Austin bars for the longest time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad