OT: 2024 Washington Commanders off-season thread: change we can believe in!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Do we think that's not by design?

We have seen I think one (?) snap of read option and I think that's bound to be something in their repertoire. Maybe not a primary feature but something in their bag. Otherwise, though, teams tend to be pretty vanilla in the pre-season. Not sure they'll get all that exotic, in part because their talent level isn't that good, but a large part of it will be on Daniels and his presnap reads. In that regard his very early audible is a pretty good sign of his self-confidence and ability to veer off-script. The coaches may or may not have loved it but give me a QB any day that trusts his gut on a match-up rather than sticking to the script. More of that at key moments, more adept game managing at others, and he'll be fine.

The bigger issue is the lack of quality WR depth and what's likely to be a leaky secondary leading to Daniels needing to resist going into superhero mode for them to win. Lack of quality pieces around him seems like the biggest threat to his health rather than coaching or the mechanics/execution of sliding. I'm sure they'll improve the roster some after cuts but realistically hard to expect vast improvement on some really glaring weaknesses.
Since everyone seems to be flashing back to RGMe, the biggest similarity I see is that we showed exactly nothing in that preseason then in the opener, first drive, the pocket was moving on every snap and he had nothing but room and time.

Different regime, different QB, hell, different decade, but I fully expect the first drive against the Bucs to be "holy shit, didn't see that in the preseason." Plenty of running (meaning BRob), hitting WRs in space w/ room to run, go-balls on roll-outs.

I expect we'll see D Brown end up being a picks that pans out and Dotson being the bust.

Total aside, way too early Field Yates mock draft on ESPN has us skipping both OT and CB for a DE at #5 OA. I know not every DE is CY, but not interested in putting that high a pick in another one.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Rushing yards, I agree BRob. Rushing + receiving, I lean Ekeler.
I suspect that's true. That said, the ONE good thing that came from last year's offense was B Rob showing he could be a threat in the passing game. That's going to give our spiffy new OC and his spiffy new RB coach (Lynn) a lot of flexibility in how they can deploy these guys, mask usage and exploit match-ups. And that's before you even get to RPOs and the QB threat.

I expect us to roll-out a significantly more balanced attack and better running attack -- regardless of the OL.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Opera Snapshot_2024-08-21_225222_www.nytimes.com.png

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I suspect BRob and Eck will get a lot of touches which will be good for both of them. WAS playing a quick hitting passing game so have a big back like BRob or scat back like Eckler it will give us a lot of options. And BRob can catch the ball just fine as well. That is good because we are going to need to score a LOT of points!

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
York didn't play for CLE at all last season. In 2022 as a rookie he was about 75% on FGs and near the bottom of the league in that stat.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Hopefully more is coming, why take that loss on a trade to a in division rival prior to the season??? If you don’t see a future wait till the trade deadline or trade him in the off-season.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad