OT: 2024 Washington Commanders off-season thread: change we can believe in!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
barely paying attention but they got some fumble or something, had a big catch and are now in the red zone

Reactions: usiel

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Didn't see the game, just a very few highlights and the box score.

Anything to be read into the Dyami/Jahan stats (DB 3 catches on 3 targets, JD 1 catch on 2 targets)?

Definitely thrilled if D. Brown steps up, but it's not too much of a net gain if Dotson doesn't show up. (Here's hoping the old "3rd year WR breakthrough" applied to JD, though it seems it's been far less of a factor with the crop of immediately successful WRs in recent years.)

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Somehow, even with the NFL subscription, I had to wait till now to watch it on YouTube because of local blackouts

Good news Daniel‘s looked very impressive

Bad news the rest of the team looked like same old skins the dolphins look a level or two ahead of Washington. Their coaching looks way better.

I can’t believe we fired Mike McDaniel at one point that dude is smart

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008

Washington Commanders coach Dan Quinn loves what he has seen from rookie quarterback Jayden Daniels. But there's one exception: Quinn wants him to slide more.

That was evident in Saturday's 13-6 preseason loss to the Miami Dolphins. On a first-quarter zone read keeper around the right end, Daniels picked up 13 yards but rather than slide continued forward and got tackled from behind.

After the game Quinn told reporters -- with a nod to the movie "Animal House" -- that Daniels was on "double secret probation" because he didn't slide on the play. It was the second consecutive week Daniels left the coaches anxious about a play and the potential for a big hit.

• Haha
Reactions: Neil Racki and g00n

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Feels like bad juju to go that route….give him positive examples to follow.

Yeah, figure out whether he's a guy that needs the carrot or the stick, but figure it the f*** out. I love the kid, but he's going to "I'm just having fun" himself into a f***ing wheelchair.

People can preach the whole "SEC is real football thing" all they want. But if the SEC is real football, then the NFL is maximum security prison. If he keeps taking on tackles with that toothpick body, actual first-team NFL players in real games are eventually going to pick him up and pick their teeth with him.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
JJ McCarthy already out for the year with knee. Don’t need JD going that same route. Like that they only played him for two series. And still have plenty to coach him up on. Nice progression path.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Saw a lot of Riley Patterson in college. His junior year he was unreal and looked like a lock to be a pro — connected on 93% of his field goals which is unheard of for a college kicker. He was in the 70s his other years which is about average.

I would hang onto him. He can kick the ball out of the stadium and has a ton of talent. He had better college accuracy than Harrison Butker. We’ve been so impatient with kickers who have figured it out elsewhere that I’d like to see us stick with him through some growing pains and see if he figures it out.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Excerpt from a Chase Daniel review of JD's first start:
He played only nine snaps. The big highlight was the throw down the right sideline which was a dime into the bread basket. We’d say, if a receiver was running down the sideline, “Just put gifts down the chimney from Santa,” and that’s exactly what he did. Just a little gift down the chimney. But if I were the Commanders, I would not let Jayden Daniels see the field again this preseason. He just looks smaller than what he weighed in at the combine. If there was one knock against him, he does not know how to slide, he does not know how to protect himself.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Pretty much everyone is saying two things very loudly:
1. He looks really good and poised
2. He needs to slide and protect himself

I think they should play him a couple/few series in next game so he can show he can (and will) do it. That is part of the growth process. But he needs to grow quick!

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
In would be shocked if JD -- or most other established, no-doubt starters -- play the final pre-season game. Maybe Coleman if he's healthy enough to go just to get some live-fire before the regular season.

It's gonna be the Jeff Driskell show, hoping he can give the WRs from Dotson down (I've moved D. Brown ahead of him in my mind) a chance to show something. And on D, seeing if Forbes and BSJ can stop anyone or anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad