OT: The Menu 20 Captain Dave Poulin/ Cody Webster Steak edition

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Currently in a food coma. Last night of a short stay in Spain and I went to get some paella with ribs. Unfortunately, there's a minimum of a 2-person order. Wife made me still get it ("You're not going to get a burger in Barcelona!") and while she ate some rice, I ate the better part of an entire 2-person-and-then-some paella. It was delicious, but now I just want to lie down on the couch and fall asleep.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
This is why your child is preparing to reverse Zeus you.

CHILD: Meat Sire, can I paint on the walls of my bedroom?

BEEF: K.

CHILD:

77502918.jpg

BEEF: ........

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
Do you freeze or dry them usually? I have a bunch of Thai chili peppers I won’t get close to using

I think I missed this one. There's 4 ways to deal with this essentially:

1) Dry: you can use food dehydrator (I bought a simple one for 50EUR) or just put them in sun. Former is a safer option and I have found that electricity consumption for that thing is really low. Pros: once dried - can store without worries, can easily give away to friends, I've sent some via mail to Finland even. They keep the spiciness levels also. Cons: They basically lose most shape they had initially. Not a biggie, but for fancy peppers (Habanero, Elephant Trunk etc.) I am always ''ah, that sucks''.
2) Frozen: simply put in a bag/box that doesn't let thru oxygen and put in freezer. Pros: keeps the shape, color, spiciness. Cons: takes quite some space as they keep the initial size. It's gone to a point I am considering buying extra freezer, because the section in fridge will soon not be enough. If you want to give them to friend, but you/friend cannot put it in freezer right away, it will unfreeze to a softer/slushy version of pepper. You can then re-freeze but it's like doing the same w ice-cream: it will lose some quality.
3) Sauce: Pros: can use with food, I did a Ghost pepper-based sauce once and it took literally just a pea sized portion to make a soup taste... a bit wild. But in a good way. If you ferment it properly you can gift to people. You can mix/match; I did Malagueta Pepper + tomatoes + lemon once and it was amazing. Cons: the process is not lengthy but messy. Also, if you make a hot sauce that needs very small application to food (as I did), you will soon find out you won't use all of it before it goes bad. [I gave my semi-bad sauce leftovers to dad when I was visiting and he turned them into wine that could kick you on your ass faster than vodka).
4) Fermentation: Pros: peppers keep size/color. Can store for years in unopened. Can easily give away to people. Cons: they lose A LOT of their spiciness during the heating process. Also, the vinegar addition (that is necessary for preservation) kind of makes them all taste, well, not the same, but similar. A bit messy process also.

This year I am doing 50/50 drying/freezing. If I want to test the pepper when fresh to get idea of how it tastes when right off the plant, before freezing I cut a small part of it off. Did that yesterday with Rocoto Red Giant. It was sweet, almost tomato-like at first, and only 3 seconds it went ''oh. OH. ok''. Really good one, will certainly grow it next year as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad