OT: The Menu 20 Captain Dave Poulin/ Cody Webster Steak edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
@ellja3
I planted a bunch of different types of peppers this spring in what I thought would be adequate pots, and labeled them.
The pots last year had herbs growing like crazy in them. Turns out the peppers need more room to grow. When I replanted them I realized the labeled stakes faded and I cannot read them.
I planted peppers from normal green/red/yellow/orange, to jalapeños, to reaper, to ghost peppers.
Could you help ID some of these peppers to avoid possibly major accidents please?
View attachment 574532View attachment 574533View attachment 574534View attachment 574535
They are all about 3” long, but I’m not sure if they are naturally that length or if they are stunted from the pots.

I have to be very honest with you, you'll find better luck identifying them when they show final colors (there are so many variations lately that look almost the same - it's crazy) . As general rule, tho, more wrinkled = more spicy. So, the second one is probably meh, while first one - I would cut off a reallllly small bit when it's ripe before trying anything more. And have milk next to me.

First one is not a reaper, they look entirely different. Could be ghost, altho mine looked a little different last year. Second is a lot like jalapeno. Could third be a bell pepper, did you plant any of thoe? Perhaps you have specific varieties written down? For example, not just Ghost but Peach Ghost. It would help you a lot later on. I also had a screw up this year w labeling and now some of the wrinkly ones will probably be - f*** around and find out. You can usually tell by smelling a fresh pepper that is just taken off the plant. Jalapeno, for instance, will have only mild kick, while Ghost to me felt like amonnia inhalant on steroids and you could smell the spiciness from meters away.

Space is indeed key. Those I have in greenhouse I gave 1m2 each (10.7sqft as per google) and they are abolute units (I haven't measured any, but I think biggest ones are 3+ft), fighting each other for space. Pots are more limiting, of course. So you will almost always have better harvest with bigger pots, the only drawback is more soil = more chance there can be some soil-based ilness. But those can happen anyway, sometimes really feels like crap luck. And of course, figuring out where to put all those big pots.

To be fair, I am actually pretty excited to see what that first pepper will end up being.

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I have to be very honest with you, you'll find better luck identifying them when they show final colors (there are so many variations lately that look almost the same - it's crazy) . As general rule, tho, more wrinkled = more spicy. So, the second one is probably meh, while first one - I would cut off a reallllly small bit when it's ripe before trying anything more. And have milk next to me.

First one is not a reaper, they look entirely different. Could be ghost, altho mine looked a little different last year. Second is a lot like jalapeno. Could third be a bell pepper, did you plant any of thoe? Perhaps you have specific varieties written down? For example, not just Ghost but Peach Ghost. It would help you a lot later on. I also had a screw up this year w labeling and now some of the wrinkly ones will probably be - f*** around and find out. You can usually tell by smelling a fresh pepper that is just taken off the plant. Jalapeno, for instance, will have only mild kick, while Ghost to me felt like amonnia inhalant on steroids and you could smell the spiciness from meters away.

Space is indeed key. Those I have in greenhouse I gave 1m2 each (10.7sqft as per google) and they are abolute units (I haven't measured any, but I think biggest ones are 3+ft), fighting each other for space. Pots are more limiting, of course. So you will almost always have better harvest with bigger pots, the only drawback is more soil = more chance there can be some soil-based ilness. But those can happen anyway, sometimes really feels like crap luck. And of course, figuring out where to put all those big pots.

To be fair, I am actually pretty excited to see what that first pepper will end up being.
Thank you very much for the help.
I pulled up my invoice for the peppers.
DEF95BD1-1F02-408B-A824-6D418AEFE54C.jpeg

I’m starting to think the first one may be “I scream” Scorpion peppers.
I did indeed plant bell peppers and my mind went blank on their name so I called them green/red/yellow/orange lol.
Not shown in the invoice are Italian longhots which I think is the second pepper. Third might be bell and fourth jalapeño or habanero, which I bought elsewhere and are also. It in the invoice.
I didn’t take pictures of the plant but I also have two or three plants that have a ton of purple peppers that I think will be a boatload of Chinese 5 color peppers or firecracker chili.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
Thank you very much for the help.
I pulled up my invoice for the peppers. View attachment 574604
I’m starting to think the first one may be “I scream” Scorpion peppers.
I did indeed plant bell peppers and my mind went blank on their name so I called them green/red/yellow/orange lol.
Not shown in the invoice are Italian longhots which I think is the second pepper. Third might be bell and fourth jalapeño or habanero, which I bought elsewhere and are also. It in the invoice.
I didn’t take pictures of the plant but I also have two or three plants that have a ton of purple peppers that I think will be a boatload of Chinese 5 color peppers or firecracker chili.

If the purple ones are small (1 inch max) then those are certainly Chinese 5 Colors. And now that I looked at the pics again, the first one does look like Ghost. 4th one seems too ''wavy'' (I cannot find the right word for it) for Jalapeno, those are usually very ''flat'', but Habanero - yes, very very possible.

Fun fact - my favorite pepper is mix of Ghost and Habanero --> Habalokia (HABAnero + Bhut JoLOKIA).

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
If the purple ones are small (1 inch max) then those are certainly Chinese 5 Colors. And now that I looked at the pics again, the first one does look like Ghost. 4th one seems too ''wavy'' (I cannot find the right word for it) for Jalapeno, those are usually very ''flat'', but Habanero - yes, very very possible.

Fun fact - my favorite pepper is mix of Ghost and Habanero --> Habalokia (HABAnero + Bhut JoLOKIA).
I don’t think I’m going to get enough yield to make any hot sauces this year, but I’d love to try making my own.

This whole pepper thing started simply by wanting to make my own longhots for sandwiches, and wanting to hit the free shipping mark rather than pay $15 shipping on a $5 packet of seeds.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
I don’t think I’m going to get enough yield to make any hot sauces this year, but I’d love to try making my own.

This whole pepper thing started simply by wanting to make my own longhots for sandwiches, and wanting to hit the free shipping mark rather than pay $15 shipping on a $5 packet of seeds.

Haha, it always starts with something small. And yes - you need quite a few peppers to make a sauce. Altho, ghosts are so spicy that you can easily use tomatoes/paprika/whatever as main base for the sauce and add, like, one Ghost or two and it will be perfectly sufficient.

If you don't use them for sauces, then there's the conserve/freeze/dry dilemma.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Haha, it always starts with something small. And yes - you need quite a few peppers to make a sauce. Altho, ghosts are so spicy that you can easily use tomatoes/paprika/whatever as main base for the sauce and add, like, one Ghost or two and it will be perfectly sufficient.

If you don't use them for sauces, then there's the conserve/freeze/dry dilemma.
Do you freeze or dry them usually? I have a bunch of Thai chili peppers I won’t get close to using

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
CC139D11-BDDE-410C-81DE-537535C8CC37.jpeg

Whipped up an awesome dinner on a whim. Had ground beef I needed to use so I set off making buttered noodles, ground beef, and bell peppers for the kids.

I then sautéed onion, garlic, red pepper. Browned the rest of the beef. Added in diced tomato, the pasta, and spinach. Then poured in a basil pesto sauce my wife impulse bought at Costco, some pasta water, and some heavy cream. Topped it with crushed red pepper and parm. So damn good. Would’ve sent me to the moon if I used hot sausage

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
View attachment 575065

Whipped up an awesome dinner on a whim. Had ground beef I needed to use so I set off making buttered noodles, ground beef, and bell peppers for the kids.

I then sautéed onion, garlic, red pepper. Browned the rest of the beef. Added in diced tomato, the pasta, and spinach. Then poured in a basil pesto sauce my wife impulse bought at Costco, some pasta water, and some heavy cream. Topped it with crushed red pepper and parm. So damn good. Would’ve sent me to the moon if I used hot sausage
That giant tub of pesto from Costco is choice as f***.

Also, 10/10 would bang.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad